Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > About the Body Type field...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ron9
Msg: 4
About the Body Type field...Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
They should stop with the categories and have height and weight. That would be much more accurate. But then they would have to out and out lie vs the "average" denial stuff.

I use to bi*ch about the bs ....... but it is none of my business if people out and out lie about their body type - and MANY do.
 Terrible Flirt
Msg: 10
view profile
History
About the Body Type field...
Posted: 4/3/2007 10:27:43 PM
I chose "A Few Extra Pounds" because "King Of The Beasts" wasn't one of the options offered. I also listed my height and weight you so you could reach that conclusion yourself.

If you want to know more than that you're gonna have to perform your own physical examination....which I'm not opposed to, by the way.
 trs1958
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/3/2007 11:26:58 PM

They should stop with the categories and have height and weight. That would be much more accurate. But then they would have to out and out lie vs the "average" denial stuff.

I agree with Ron. Height and Weight should be listed...period. I have read lots of threads about this subject on many sites and always hear the same excuses...main one being "the AVERAGE weight in the country now is somewhat overweight, so that must be "average". I say BS to that excuse. I know that people want to present themselves the best they can and that is all well and fine....IF THEY ARE TRUTHFUL. If someone is a little overweight why lie about it? It's kinda like us short guys. I'm 5' 7" 135 lbs. and while most women are looking for the 6' hunk...I'm sure not gonna lie about my height. I have yet to understand why anyone would "fudge" on the truth about anything whether it be height, weight or whatever simply because IF they ever do find a potential match and end up meeting in person...guess what...date is over before it actually starts and you don't hear from them again. Why would someone want to put themselves through that? I wouldn't.
 AwP
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2007 1:30:17 AM
Lots of guys draw the lines for the catagories in different places, I'll explain my choice since that's the only one I can talk for sure about. I put average, my gut doesn't stick out so I'm not a few extra pounds, you can't see my ribs so I'm not thin. While I've always worked physical jobs and am in decient shape I don't work out and my muscles aren't all that visible, certainly not all cut and ripped, so I'm not athletic. So that just leaves average. Hopefully this helps.
 HikingFitGuy
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/4/2007 6:15:22 AM
This is pretty funny really,

I have a friend who is fairly overweight, and I told him to put 'a few extra pounds' but he insisted that he was 'average', so he put 'average'.

Another friend with no muscle tone what so ever insisted he was 'athletic' but I advised him to put 'average' .

So there you have it, i've seen first hand that some guys DO lie about their bodytype, just to hopefully increase contacts on the dating sites.
 *Mikael*
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/4/2007 9:21:14 AM
I think they should change it to an exact height/weight listing to avoid any more misrepresentation or delusion.
 trs1958
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/4/2007 11:06:36 AM

According to USA Today, the average woman is 163 pounds and 5' 4".
Average weight in the US is on the rise. So, what is average vs. a few extra pounds?

That was my point exactly. Lots of people use the excuse that the general census says that 5' 4" 163 lbs. would be considered "average" in today's society which might be true. But the average individual does not consider that "average" or height/weight proportionate. While it is good for someone to get to know the "inner you", when someone insists on that before they get to know the "outer you"...chances are you are never going to be more than friends if both do not feel the chemistry. And physical attraction is a big part of that chemistry.
 Cheerful_Trousers
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/4/2007 11:53:04 AM
Average weight in the US is on the rise. So, what is average vs. a few extra pounds?

"average" should be merged with "a few extra pounds" because the average person is literally carrying a few extra pounds.

To my subjective mind:

Average- Just a guy.

Thin- A thin guy I'd picture as weak looking and pale.

A Few Extra Pounds- A guy with a beer belly.

Athetic- A toned, ripped looking guy. Does not have to be a body builder type. I sonsider myself this because even though Im not Arnold, I do have muscle definition and am certainly not weak looking.

BBW, Big and Tall- Just a large, gargantuan dude.
 trs1958
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/4/2007 1:37:50 PM

That's why many good pictures are a must...

And pictures that are not 20 years old either...

This is by far the most reasonable and truthful way to present yourself. At least a (recent) photo of yourself from the waist up. No one should feel ashamed of their body. If you do, then you need to do something about it. If you don't then you need to represent yourself as such..comfortable with yourself. There are lots of men who prefer larger women, and vise versa I suppose. I'm fairly short but I'm comfortable with that. Not much one can do about height other than wear platform shoes...and I'd rather not look like I'm living in the '70's .
 browneyesboo
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/4/2007 1:46:53 PM
there are about eleventy seven cajillion threads about weight on this forum.
i put a few extra pounds.
my options were thin, athletic, average, a few extra pounds and bbw or whatever.
im not thin
and im not bbw
so i put a few extra pounds.
if someone meets me and they have a problem with that...oh well.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/4/2007 1:48:52 PM
whoops...this was ask guys and i answered anyways.
oh well.
i guess that puts me out of the running with jumbo mumbles regarding the intelligence factor.
 *Mikael*
Msg: 24
Posted: 4/4/2007 9:45:17 PM
if someone meets me and they have a problem with that...oh well

Instead maybe look at yourself aand say okay do I need to lose a few pounds? do I need to work on myself a bit ? sex is easy when you look good. relationships are easier to keep when your partner see's you walk across a room and wants to have you and doesn't think to himself what the fuck is this woman eating to stay this big? It's all about staying in shape and being sexy. the minute you go over is the moment that the world sees you as lazy and not worthy. If you want to be sexy you simply need to understand that it takes an effort. 10 pounds over optimum is over weight, find a chart and study it. Then become it. then be happy and not lazy.

http://www.tickerfactory.com/ezticker/bmi_calc.php
 browneyesboo
Msg: 25
Posted: 4/5/2007 7:40:06 AM
actually....no. I would never lose weight for someone else.
and what makes you think im not happy with myself? i am. what i said is...if someone else isn't...oh well.
I might have a few extra pounds...but anyone who looks at me and thinks im lazy or not worthy...is really not worth my time...or even my post.
egads.
and ps...what makes you think im not sexy?
jaysus.
 dpd22
Msg: 28
Posted: 4/12/2007 9:42:03 AM
The one thing I have noticed that some men and women do is state that they are average when they are " a few pounds overweight" and state that they are a "few pounds overweight" when they are really obese.

bmi doesn't take into consideration muscle...it's only a height/weight ratio.

That is a great point. Two people could have the same height and weight, but one of them is muscle and bulk, the other is fat.
 HikingFitGuy
Msg: 29
Posted: 4/14/2007 4:45:30 AM

According to the National Center for Health Statistics, the average weight for an adult male in the United States is: 189.8 pounds. He is 5' 9".

Wow, at 6 feet I am 185 lbs, if I went to America I would be a light weight
 RSwindol
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2007 5:11:18 AM
Personally I am relieved when people like the OP get so bent out of shape about the body type option. It just lets me know up front that they are overly superficial and I can easily rule them out from the start.
 Ron9
Msg: 32
Posted: 4/14/2007 9:13:58 AM
I also think those numbers are out of whack.

I am 6’2” and weigh 183 pounds - I am not too thin or too thick.

Also when I see 140 pounds on a female - she is either getting pretty tall or ................

The last naked female I was around was solid as a rock and she was 5’8” 123 pounds.
 smith2267
Msg: 36
Posted: 4/14/2007 2:16:28 PM
Thin= some ribs visible
Athletic=muscles ripple when you work, hard to the touch
a few pounds overweight=your belly hangs over you belt a little
Overweight= multiple chins, waist bigger than your chest
Obese=you can't walk normally, instead you waddle
 smith2267
Msg: 37
Posted: 4/14/2007 2:26:36 PM
>>ohh thank god we have a female poster who complains about a man weight rather than men bashing big women all the time

Fat women don't realize that their bitterness is at least half of what we don't find appealing about them. If this thread is a big revenge trip for you--you're bitter.
 smith2267
Msg: 38
Posted: 4/14/2007 8:43:51 PM
>>i have ribs showing, extremely small and girlie looking light frame but my muscles are ripped and hard to the touch. what do you call me then??

I'll call you tonight, if you give me your number. you sound hot!
 GuitarGuy_
Msg: 39
Posted: 4/15/2007 12:15:10 AM
Same thing with women. I find that "average" really seems to cover a LOT of ground. Again, a lot could be considered "a few extra pounds" but I'm NOT going to be the person who points that out. I have a few extra pounds, working on getting it down to the average, although there is a chance I am average for someone my age.
 RSwindol
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2007 4:13:22 PM

Expecting people to be honest about their body shape is hardly superficial.

While expecting honesty isn't being superficial, being overly critical of people and their profiles based on their perception of their own body type and their photos is extremely superficial. Heck, the only reason the topic of body type is even on the profile is to appease the superficial side of our community.

Besides, the topic of body types and what they actually mean varies from one person to the next and since there are so many opinions out there regarding the few choices that are available in this field, it's hard to separate those who are being untruthful from those who truly have no clue in which category they might best fit.
 lucilou
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2007 11:48:34 PM
Wow!! I am 5'3 and I weigh 120, I am overweight by 5 pounds? when I was 122 I still wears size 4 that means when I get down to 115, I have to be wearing size 2 , that would be great but I dont think I can lose another 5 pounds, my working out already shrink inches on me and more muscle have developed. Its really hard to lose weight because of my age lol.
 MDNinja
Msg: 42
Posted: 4/22/2007 10:39:29 AM
OP, do you want answers that pertains to this site, or in general? You'll get many different answers. For example over 2/3's of americans are overweight. Given that, that would mean that average = overweight. If you were to ask the same question in asia or africa, average would = thin by our standards.

At the risk of sounding like a complete jackass I'll give you the run down of what those settings mean.

Athletic: average to six-pack
average: few extra pounds to average
Thin: skinny to thin to average
Few extra pounds: In denial.
 lucilou
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2007 1:59:09 PM
Wow!! MDninja, I guess I have to changed my body type to average, I dont think I have six pack lol. Need to lose 15 pounds to be thin .
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > About the Body Type field...