Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Favorite Bible Verses      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 blueslady11
Msg: 1
Favorite Bible VersesPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I thought it might be interesting to hear what Bible verses really move everyone. I have several favorites. What meaning does the verse have to you in your daily life ?

Romans 8:38
For I am convinced, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature shall be able to seperate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

I heard Sara Groves sing this song and she paraphrased this verse....moved me so much I had to look it up. Absolutely nothing can keep me from the love of Christ. Now thats comfort !

Revelation 1:3
Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things whech are written therein: for the time is at hand.

Waaaaay coool, Im blessed just for reading my favorite book....God rocks !
 gentlepatrick
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/4/2007 8:50:45 AM

for the time is at hand.

what does that mean?
 blueslady11
Msg: 3
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/4/2007 9:23:47 AM
The time is at hand is a phrase saying that the time is coming, the time is near. This particular verse is refering to the prophecy and make sure you keep the words you read because its going to come true and soon.

Considering that soon in eternity could be a lifetime here on earth, the time is still at hand.
 nice2cu
Msg: 4
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/4/2007 10:53:44 AM
The baseball scripture hits a home run with me every time.
Gen 1:1
In the big inning....

Just kiding of course.
I've been through the bible from cover to cover more than once and I have to say that it's all very interesting...(aside from the 'begat' section)
However I've found more true meaning to life outside of the books of the bible.
Don't get me wrong though. Reading the bible is a good experience for anyone and should be considered a great place to start ones' spiritual journey.
JMHO
 paulthesane
Msg: 5
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/4/2007 11:23:01 AM
Why should the bible be the start of ones spiritual journey? what make the bible so special?
 blueslady11
Msg: 6
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/4/2007 11:33:20 AM
If your spiritual journey begins with God then its a very special book. If your journey begins with mother earth or meta physics or something other than God, its probably not a book you would have in your library.

But thats getting off topic, if you want to email or start a thread about how important the bible is to a Christian....I bet alot of people, especially ones who dont like the book, would come out of the woodwork to reply !

Do you have a favorite Bible Verse ?
 vetmanager
Msg: 7
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/4/2007 12:00:33 PM
love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me.

Proverbs 8
 AmeliaEarhart
Msg: 8
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/4/2007 12:25:19 PM
John 8: 4-11

They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.

Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?

This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote in the ground, as though he heard them not.

So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.

And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.

When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?

She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.
 looking for love 2nd x
Msg: 9
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/4/2007 1:02:02 PM
With men all is impossible, but with GOD all things are possible.

It is more belessed to give than to receive.

Great men are not always wise.

The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

The flesh indeed is willing but the spirit is week.
ooooopps, did I say that out loud?

Peace be with you
 vetmanager
Msg: 10
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/4/2007 1:10:22 PM
For out of much affliction and anguish of heart I wrote unto you with many tears; not that ye should be grieved, but that ye might know the love which I have more abundantly unto you.

2 Corinthians 2:4
 paulthesane
Msg: 11
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/4/2007 2:04:17 PM
If your spiritual journey begins with God then its a very special book. If your journey begins with mother earth or meta physics or something other than God, its probably not a book you would have in your library.

This statement assumes that someone can only be religiously theistic in terms of the 3 abrahamic faiths.
What if you are a devotee of Vishnu? Why would your spiritual journey (which does in this case start with god, that is Vishnu)) have anything to do with the Bible?
 blueslady11
Msg: 12
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/4/2007 2:25:30 PM
Please stay on topic, I am not here to defend my belief system or argue yours. I asked a lovely question for people who enjoy reading the Bible and are moved by its contents....again I will ask, do you have a favorite verse ?
 skypoetone
Msg: 13
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/4/2007 2:34:04 PM
There are many beautiful, endearing messages in the bible but, sadly, there are even more contentious and antithetical ones too.
 Love_on_fire
Msg: 14
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/4/2007 3:10:50 PM
All the verses a Inspired and therefore all of them arte worth listening to.

There are so many that I like, Romans 8 has many great ones. 1st John has many that I like, all throughout the Bible there are wonderful ones that just stick to you.
 skypoetone
Msg: 15
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/4/2007 3:35:10 PM
I think what you woodenly state is the following: Timothy 3:16, “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.”

Sounds very much like a manual's set of instructions. The problem is many of the integrals are missing. Others are garbled leading to misconceptions and implausibility.
 Matt Adore
Msg: 16
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/4/2007 4:56:11 PM
My favorite verses for right now are all the verses in 1st Corinthians 13...

And I always come back to the philosophy that, "Without love, we are noisy, clangy cymballs"

seriouslyfunnylady
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/4/2007 7:04:07 PM
I have a couple of them.

One is about God creating man in *our* image. Pointing to more then one God

Also the one where God says put no other Gods before me. Also an acknowledgement of other Gods.
 Mysticum
Msg: 18
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/4/2007 7:09:07 PM
OOOHhhh! The one when all the men in Sodom wanna do the angels in the butt. But Lot's like "NO!! CMON DUDES, you can have my virgin daughters" But the men are all "NO! Angel's asses here we come. We don't want no ****. Just sweet angel ass"

That one's cool.
 Feral
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/4/2007 8:27:57 PM

I thought it might be interesting to hear what Bible verses really move everyone. I have several favorites. What meaning does the verse have to you in your daily life ?
I don't usually like to play favourites, but I'll list some that I find to be absolutely wonderful, and in serious need of being honoured more. But first, apparently, we get to critique!

Romans 8:38
For I am convinced, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature shall be able to seperate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
What meaning does this verse hold for me? A lot! It certainly sheds a light on the mindset of the author of it, and if his or her conviction turns out to be correct, then he/she is very well loved. Is good!

Revelation 1:3
Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things whech are written therein: for the time is at hand.
As to meaning on this one, I feel it's telling us all that opportunity's knocking. And, we're all lucky now, since we've read the fact that the writer said so. Yay us!
As for those I like:
-Leviticus 19:18
Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.
-Galatians 5:14
For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Kinda thematic, these. And, there's about ten more in betweeen 'em that say exactly the same thing!
-----
-Matthew 7:1
Judge not, that ye be not judged.
-Luke 6:37
Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

Gotta love these, especially with how well-ignored they are within Christian communities across the world.
------
-Romans 14:3
Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.

I like how this applies to the whole "you can't do that (whatever it is), because God says not to" kind of mentality.
------
-1 Corinthians 4:5
Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.

This one's great because it really brings to light the concept of not judging something or someone unless you know the totality of it.
-------
-1 Corinthians 10:29
Conscience, I say, not thine own, but of the other: for why is my liberty judged of another man's conscience?

Okay, this one's blatantly political in why I picked it. Anyone want to venture as to why?
------
-John 8:7
So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

Like you didn't see that one coming.
------
Matthew 7:3
And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Likewise. Cool thing is, this sentiment crops up five times in Matthew and Luke. And, it's still conveniently marginalised all over the place. Sad.

The time is at hand is a phrase saying that the time is coming, the time is near. This particular verse is refering to the prophecy and make sure you keep the words you read because its going to come true and soon.
And, it did, in a fashion. Groovy stuff, yeah.

Considering that soon in eternity could be a lifetime here on earth, the time is still at hand.
Wait. You're still waiting? Dude, it's been like, what? 1500 years since it came true? At least.

I've been through the bible from cover to cover more than once and I have to say that it's all very interesting...(aside from the 'begat' section)
C'mon, man, Numbers is some groovy stuff. Tells you some hello cool stuff about the lineages that were so important to everything.

Reading the bible is a good experience for anyone and should be considered a great place to start ones' spiritual journey.
Amen.

If your journey begins with mother earth or meta physics or something other than God, its probably not a book you would have in your library.
Why not? Fits nicely with mine.

John 8: 4-11
Amen! I've always loved how almost everything Jesus said and did was an object lesson. Well, at least everything that was recorded...

This statement assumes that someone can only be religiously theistic in terms of the 3 abrahamic faiths.
I don't see it, sorry. Seems more like an assumption of what others might consider appropriate, if they were to follow alternate paths. Uneducated, maybe, but not entirely exclusivist.

What if you are a devotee of Vishnu? Why would your spiritual journey (which does in this case start with god, that is Vishnu)) have anything to do with the Bible?
Vishnu understands the ability to find wisdom in many places. What injunction would He have against reading the Bible?

There are many beautiful, endearing messages in the bible but, sadly, there are even more contentious and antithetical ones too.
I'll have to agree to disagree. Lots of good stuff, lots of stuff taken to do bad things. That's my take.

All the verses a Inspired and therefore all of them arte worth listening to.
Inspired? Maybe, maybe not. But, anything is worth listening to, if you can derive something positive from it, yes?

And I always come back to the philosophy that, "Without love, we are noisy, clangy cymballs"
Right on, Papa Bear! That's kinda my take, too. If even the Bible is taken without love as foundation, that's when you stop listening.

OOOHhhh! The one when all the men in Sodom wanna do the angels...

Daaaamn, and here I thought I was getting hardcore!
 Justin Case Sr.
Msg: 20
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/4/2007 9:52:35 PM
Blessed are they that suffer persecution for justice' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
 themadfiddler
Msg: 21
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/4/2007 11:15:13 PM

The Jews are the children of teh devil (John 8:44). They both killed the lord Jesus as well as their own prophets and they please not god and are contrary to all men (1 Thess 2:15)

Tongue in cheek as "favorite" except in the most infamous sense...I sincerely hope

As an answer to that I would suggest...

Deuteronomy 6:4-9

Sh'ma Yis'ra'eil Adonai Eloheinu Adonai echad.
Hear, Israel, the Lord is our God, the Lord is One.

And of course...

"I am the L-rd, and there is none else. I form the light and create darkness, I make peace and create evil. I am the L-rd, that does all these things." (Is. 45:6-7).
 fitman2005
Msg: 22
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/5/2007 3:49:16 AM

uhh..can someone say trinity..........

Also the one where God says put no other Gods before me. Also an acknowledgement of other Gods.

--and can someone say idols or false gods??

I like the one that says "you must be born again to enter/see the kingdom of God..." -quite the mixer upper.
 Raveninns
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/5/2007 4:44:00 AM
I have lots, lol

Matthew 6, 25 For this reason, I say unto you, do not be anxious for your life, as to what you shall eat, or what you shall drink; nor for your body, as to what you shall put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?

Matthew 7, 1 Do not judge lest you be judged yourselves.

Jesus was one cool dude. Only the utmost respect for Him.

And of course, Psalm 23, a psalm of David. Pretty neat guy as well. I always wondered about the "valley of the shadow of death". One morning, I just woke up and figured it meant our various incarnations here on earth.

Cheers everyone, Raven
 Byrd
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/5/2007 9:19:55 AM
Romans 8:31 If god be for us who can be aganist us? The Psalms but especally 23 and 91..James the whole book Jonah too....Kinda like to hear where Planet Satan saw that other scripture sounds like the right wingers bible.
 Feral
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/5/2007 9:57:21 AM

uhh..can someone say trinity..........
Uhh... Can someone point out support for the "Trinity" in the Torah?

--and can someone say idols or false gods??
Or, can someone accept that there are other people than the "chosen of Jehovah", who might believe there are other deities? Seems the ancient Israelites had no issue recognising this fact...

I like the one that says "you must be born again to enter/see the kingdom of God..." -quite the mixer upper.
Was that the one that says, "I am the way, the truth, and the light; no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me"?

Jesus was one cool dude. Only the utmost respect for Him.
Amen, sister. Amen.

Kinda like to hear where Planet Satan saw that other scripture sounds like the right wingers bible.
Genesis 19:3-9
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Favorite Bible Verses