Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Are British Columbians friendlier      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 justmejoe1
Msg: 1
Are British Columbians friendlierPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
do you think we are more open to dating than other cities in canada...are we more friendlier..open minded....maybe its the mountain air...the ocean breeze...i moved to vancouver island from toronto 15 yrs ago...what a difference..people are more approachable in BC...more open minded..and laid back...what do you think?
 yayawhatever
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Are British Columbians friendlier
Posted: 4/4/2007 1:24:29 PM
I read an article about Seattle, that basically said that on the surface the people there were friendly, helpful and so nice on the surface, but not prone to forming relationships beyond that. I have found this to be true of Vancouver as well.

I moved from the friendliest place on earth (Prince Rupert) to Nanaimo four years ago and found that people were not friendly at all there. Three years later I moved to Vancouver and found that people are nicer on the surface but not very willing to move friendships beyond casual nicities. The only person from work who I'd say had the potential to be a "friend" away from work is from Ontario, and among the people I have met in passing that really know anything about me are from the East Coast.

I lived in Calgary for a short period in 2002 and instantly I was forming real friendships and getting to know people. I have been in Vancouver for a year and there are people that I see almost everyday and I really don't know much about them at all, and it is not for lack of effort or approachability on my part.

We may be more open to dating, but how many of those dates go beyond the first one? Its fairly safe to be laid back and open minded when you probably won't make the time nor the effort to really get to know a person, and you'll be seeing someone else the next night anyway. LOL
 rings
Msg: 3
Posted: 4/4/2007 1:45:58 PM
It's just perspective.

What ever your perspective is, then that makes it so for you.

Reality is what ever your perception, of it is.

Wherever you live Love it or leave it.

I'm from Ontario too,and there's pro's and con's,
good and bad with living anywhere.

BOP BOD DA BA I'M LOVE'IN IT........CHEER'S ...
 justmejoe1
Msg: 4
Posted: 4/4/2007 3:30:02 PM
who the fox..not all the guys want to just get fked...there are some of us who truly want to meet someone besides that
 rings
Msg: 5
Posted: 4/4/2007 4:36:23 PM
Sometimes how friendly someone is to you,
can be as simple as how friendly you were to them.

The rest is just geography...
 ai81
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2007 6:59:02 PM
You'd change your mind if you lived in Vancouver. People are always decidedly less friendly in big cities.
 rebel777
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/4/2007 7:22:13 PM
the friendliest people I ever knew are okies...yup,they were very friendy and always had something wonderful to say about Canada and other canadians they have known,when I moved up here to BC,some people was friendly and some not.
I am not a friendly person....lol
 samadongshi2
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/4/2007 7:24:18 PM
hey Prairie pple rock! many prairie folks here and have abandoned the weather and flat scenery.
BCers r more sociable than Torontonians that's for sure. Too uptighty for my liking.
Calgarians mm not sure about.
I'm very approachable and i think it's all individualistic really.
To each their own.
 musicnut46
Msg: 9
Posted: 4/4/2007 11:54:43 PM
All POFERS are friedly in thier own way. You bet BCers are friendier. As frienlier as you might like us to be. Folks from different regions are friendlier for different reasons. Lower mainland and Interior just got a different mix of people and they got more reasons to not be as friendly. More options to be Friendlier too. Random conversations rock,don't they? What's not to love. It is the best place on earth,isn't it?
 musicnut46
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/5/2007 1:50:43 PM
Lassy...you rock. Don't read nothing in to it,you just do ok? Folks like you is what makes us friendlier. The company you keep is what allows you to you and help each other be friendlier. Big Cities be Big cities and Places like kelowna some folks think get a big city attitude. Vernon and Kamloops have nearly really grown-up so to speak. Kelowna south be nice to visi but to live in,like Big cities,thanks but no thanks. Always smile and nod,you might get one in return. Some folks make bigger deals out of kindness. Treat those deserving well and you go to heaeven,not hell.
 BonnieB
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2007 12:21:47 PM
No.. I don't think it is a BC thing at all..

I think that the more metropolitan the location, the more likely it is that the people seem not as friendly... but inside they just might be.

Example1: When I lived in the burbs.. I was the most polite driver.. when I lived in Kits, I had to learn to be more aggressive, or I got nowhere.
Ever driven in Montreal? Toronto?
Ever driven in Bridgewater, NS?

Example2: When I lived in the burbs, I knew all my neighbours.. all of them, young and old. When I lived in Kits, I knew only a few.

I think that it's the 'big city' attitudes that makes people seem less friendly, no matter what province they are from.

B.
 fackoff
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/10/2007 12:32:02 PM
My 2cents

I think geography has little to do with this issue. I think it is societal, and somewhat generational. Also, the pace at which we lead our lives these days leaves little time for "chit chat".

It is my belief that we are not teaching our younger generation how to interact socially with proper manners and a sense community.

Great customer service based companies get a lot more recognition these days as they seem to be fewer and fewer.

I think deep down, most people would love to be friendly and take the time to interact, but lack the tools and the time!

Fackoff
 musicnut46
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/10/2007 1:34:36 PM
Thank God for Wal-Mart and the other stores patterning after them. Some parents and/or kids need a real good smack in the head. Be intersting to see if Vancouver goes through the same cycle Calgary did after hosting an Olympics. We got lots of reasons to be friendlier. I think pofers are friendlier due to the fact that the site makes us happier in general.
 fackoff
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/10/2007 6:44:17 PM
Angel,

I don't see where you are Begging?
 musicnut46
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/11/2007 12:54:08 AM
Already missed your chance archdevil. BRING IT BABE.Wouldn't something morte friendly be more fun though. Just ask nicely,but not too much so though. Seriously dear, we be done calling each other names. B.C POFERs are much off being friendly. In our Beautiful province why wouldn't we be. GO POFERS GO. You and me go in the Friendlypond,hook a friendly Gal and she might be a keeper.
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2009 8:39:50 PM
Friendlier that what?..who?

A pitbull toting a machine gun?

anyhow... I think as a generality we are a Friendly nation... based on visiting many of the provinces in this country I can say we are as friendly as everyone else.

a few bad apples...an unfriendly Customs officials make the headlines...but on the Friendly Radar I think we British Columbians are on par with the rest of the country...yes even those non-anglo speakers in the East...lol
 mrchicken
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/13/2009 9:48:38 PM
Yeah, I'm with the Wildthing Rose on this one; we're as friendly as an other province, and if these other people don't agree, they can go back to where ever it is they came from.

Maybe I'm just one of those bad apples from the Okanagan though !
 Merrylass
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2009 12:13:47 AM

and if these other people don't agree, they can go back to where ever it is they came from.

I've talked to a few people lately who are going to do just that because they've found BC to be far less friendly than other places they've lived. As the OP or one of the earliest posters said, BCers will be superficially friendly, but they aren't warm and they aren't into becoming closer than superficial friends.

Other long-term BC residents I've spoken to agree but feel they're stuck here because of home, family, etc.
 C200S
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/10/2012 8:01:36 PM
PMJI , but IMHO the fact that everyone seems to be making generalizations comparing groups of 100's of 1000's or more people to other 100's of 1000's of people shows me that we are not all on the same level here.
When it comes down to it, every province has something significantly wrong with it.
In BC, this all has more to do with the people than the weather in the province.
in alberta through quebec / nb / ns / pei, it's the cold weather.
and again in newfoundland it's the people , and the weather that suck.
have you ever seen a newfie try to count to 11 without removing his boots? No.
 Doc_Sage
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/11/2012 9:55:12 AM
Most people are a mirror of your own emotions. You show a smile and a smile will be returned to you. You show a sad face, ditto.

I have lived in 5 provinces, in 7 major urban areas and have come across happy friendly people in all of them and, I am sorry to say so, some not very friendly.

If you happen to carry a clip board, you find a much better reply. Do not know why...but I have a clip always close by at all times. LOL

Doc Sage
 CharminC
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/11/2012 9:59:26 AM
Most people are a mirror of your own emotions. You show a smile and a smile will be returned to you. You show a sad face, ditto.

^^
I fully agree and yet some... no matter what have the most god awful scowl on thier faces.

Need more fibre in their diet, maybe? lol
 AddHomonym
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/12/2012 6:54:33 AM
When I first got here in '89, I thought I landed in Mayberry. Strangers saying hello on the street freaked me out. It's become a lot more like Toronto it would seem to me.

When my dog went missing a few months back I frantically raced about the streets asking people if they'd seen her. So many people with their ear buds just walking on by trying really hard not to give any indication that I existed - it was so surreal. I finally shouted at one woman, "Excuse me but are you too terrified to speak to me"? She thought I wanted something from her.

I got my dog back.

Friendly is not a word I would have used to describe the folks out here nowadays.

(After reading my comment I thought I should qualify it. There are still some of the friendliest people I've ever known around here - it just takes a little more work to find out where they are hiding)
 Walts
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/12/2012 5:08:54 PM
It's become a lot more like Toronto it would seem to me.

Yep, I have to agree. I came out in 86, and it wasn't for the shiat show that is present in today's world. One more year of schooling for my kid,and I'm aiming to phuck off as far away from Vancouver as I can. Still gonna stay in the province, just with people that understand the value of what they GOT, not what they WANT. There are plenty of "friendly" people here in this province,just not here in the lowerrainland,other than like the poster before me stated, the ones that are in "hiding".
 Sherlock121
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/12/2012 10:20:49 PM
Moving here from Florida I have to agree with the last few posts. Had some of the same experiences. The statistics say most of Canada is single and after being here for months I can understand why. Reading profiles I've never seen more "criteria" than I have in the BC POF profiles. Thankfully not all are that way...
 Oh_WOW_What_A_Great_Guy
Msg: 26
Posted: 6/12/2012 10:44:02 PM
What ever you do stay away from Kamloops.
I moved up here a few years ago. I lived in Surrey for 25 years, had my shop robbed twice and 3 auto break -ins..
Here in Kumloopy ville AKA WRONG TURN 5, The Venture never ends, I have been robbed 375 times, I have seen more crime, more perversion and more open lack of the most basic moral fiber than I had ever seen in Surrey.
I have also seen that this town more broken families due to drugs and alcohol abuse.
According to research, 70% of all sociopaths were raised in homes without fathers.
BC is full of this stuff..

Profile of the Sociopath

This website summarizes some of the common features of descriptions of the behavior of sociopaths.

Glibness and Superficial Charm

Manipulative and Conning
They never recognize the rights of others and see their self-serving behaviors as permissible. They appear to be charming, yet are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used. They may dominate and humiliate their victims.

Grandiose Sense of Self
Feels entitled to certain things as "their right."

Pathological Lying
Has no problem lying coolly and easily and it is almost impossible for them to be truthful on a consistent basis. Can create, and get caught up in, a complex belief about their own powers and abilities. Extremely convincing and even able to pass lie detector tests.

Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt
A deep seated rage, which is split off and repressed, is at their core. Does not see others around them as people, but only as targets and opportunities. Instead of friends, they have victims and accomplices who end up as victims. The end always justifies the means and they let nothing stand in their way.

Shallow Emotions
When they show what seems to be warmth, joy, love and compassion it is more feigned than experienced and serves an ulterior motive. Outraged by insignificant matters, yet remaining unmoved and cold by what would upset a normal person. Since they are not genuine, neither are their promises.

Incapacity for Love

Need for Stimulation
Living on the edge. Verbal outbursts and physical punishments are normal. Promiscuity and gambling are common.

Callousness/Lack of Empathy
Unable to empathize with the pain of their victims, having only contempt for others' feelings of distress and readily taking advantage of them.

Poor Behavioral Controls/Impulsive Nature
Rage and abuse, alternating with small expressions of love and approval produce an addictive cycle for abuser and abused, as well as creating hopelessness in the victim. Believe they are all-powerful, all-knowing, entitled to every wish, no sense of personal boundaries, no concern for their impact on others.

Early Behavior Problems/Juvenile Delinquency
Usually has a history of behavioral and academic difficulties, yet "gets by" by conning others. Problems in making and keeping friends; aberrant behaviors such as cruelty to people or animals, stealing, etc.

Irresponsibility/Unreliability
Not concerned about wrecking others' lives and dreams. Oblivious or indifferent to the devastation they cause. Does not accept blame themselves, but blames others, even for acts they obviously committed.

Promiscuous Sexual Behavior/Infidelity
Promiscuity, child sexual abuse, rape and sexual acting out of all sorts.

Lack of Realistic Life Plan/Parasitic Lifestyle
Tends to move around a lot or makes all encompassing promises for the future, poor work ethic but exploits others effectively.

Criminal or Entrepreneurial Versatility
Changes their image as needed to avoid prosecution. Changes life story readily.

Other Related Qualities:
Contemptuous of those who seek to understand them
Does not perceive that anything is wrong with them
Authoritarian
Secretive
Paranoid
Only rarely in difficulty with the law, but seeks out situations where their tyrannical behavior will be tolerated, condoned, or admired
Conventional appearance
Goal of enslavement of their victim(s)
Exercises despotic control over every aspect of the victim's life
Has an emotional need to justify their crimes and therefore needs their victim's affirmation (respect, gratitude and love)
Ultimate goal is the creation of a willing victim
Incapable of real human attachment to another
Unable to feel remorse or guilt
Extreme narcissism and grandiose
May state readily that their goal is to rule the world

(The above traits are based on the psychopathy checklists of H. Cleckley and R. Hare.)[quote/]
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Are British Columbians friendlier