Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > do you support women in the military?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LoonyTunz
Msg: 3
view profile
History
do you support women in the military?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
If you want to lug a 60Lb pack in swelterring weather while getting your butt shot off. Go for it.
Now if you want "special rules and lower requirements" to be met so that you can get into a given field then no.
Logic really, if you are the best fighter pilot you get the job, whether you pee standing or sitting has no bearring.
There is still a bit of a gut reaction that guys should be the ones out there protecting our females interest. Recognised for what it is that isn't hard to get around.
 StarreGazer
Msg: 6
do you support women in the military?
Posted: 4/6/2007 11:20:30 PM
I support anyone in the military. I would never date such a woman, but I do support her right to choose whatever career she wishes, military or otherwise.
 AwP
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2007 12:42:53 AM
I think if they can meet the same standards as the men then sure, it's fine. But if they can't drag a wounded 250lb fellow soldier to cover during a firefight because they didn't have to pass the same standards as the male soldiers then hell no, it just puts everyone else in their unit in more danger.
 LoonyTunz
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2007 11:16:46 AM

I don't support anyone being in the military. I have yet to see any good use for a military. They are for killing, and since I am against that, supporting them would be silly. I support women in many other kinds of enterprise, just as long as the effect is good, unlike war.

So long as there are people that are willing to use force and violence to further their goals there will always be a need of a force to counter them.
OP so far it seems that the majority agree that if you can do the job they have little problem with it. Although the point about chest beatting and saying "look I'm a woman and I am better" will not win anyone acceptance. This is different that "I am Fred or Sarah and dayyyyum did I kick butt today or what?"
 Terrible Flirt
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2007 12:06:58 PM
It's a complicated question OP. I don't think it is wise to have women in combat units, regardless of their ability to serve well in them. I think, as terrible as it is, we are more accustomed to men fighting and dieing in combat. If a large amount of women were killed in combat or taken prisoner, which may be even worse when you think about what could happen next, I think it could weaken our nations resolve to press on and continue the sacrifice to win a war.

Another problem is that women in the military will inevitably cause stupid political interference with the most efficient operation of our military. It's not your fault OP but it will happen because of your presence. I don't think there is any real debate over the fact that the military has been forced to lower certain physical strength/endurance standards for soldiers so that more women can meet them. Now the standards weren't established in the first place in order to exclude women. They were established to assure that difficult, physically demanding tasks could be reliably performed. Lowering those standards for political reasons will get people killed. That's a hard reality to accept but this doesn't make it any less real.

As for the attitudes of the people you serve with, that's an issue too. I guess if we all behaved as consummate professionals then personal opinions would not have an effect on how we perform our duties. Unfortunately, as your experiences have demonstrated, the reality is not so ideal. I suppose strict enforcement of discipline could help quash overt displays of disagreement with your presence but a level of resentment could still silently impair your unit’s military effectiveness.

I don't know the best way for the military to best utilize the amazing talents and brave hearts of the tens of thousands of women who step forward to serve our country. I admire you very much OP for wanting to defend your country and fight for good and right. I also don't think that there is any real debate as to the vital importance of the contributions made by our women warriors. Even in the absence of political carping the leaders of our military openly state that our military could not function on the same level without the contributions of our female soldiers.

My solution would be to ban politicians from the military! Better answers would follow.
 h0ldfast
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2007 4:38:28 PM
I have served with women (though not in a combat situation) and it usually worked out all right. I'm glad to have them there, and I feel that they deserve a chance to serve their country. In wartime, things might be different. While I have no doubt that women can perform many combat duties, mixing men and women, especially in stressful or isolated conditions, can result in sexism, sexual harassment, jealousy, love triangles, rape, unwanted pregnancy and a whole host of issues, some of which might be the difference between life and death, or victory and defeat on the battlefield.

As an aside, the story of Private Jessica Lynch from the Iraq war shows women soldiers in a bad light. In a battle, she didn't fire a shot; her rifle jammed because it wasn't properly cleaned. She should have been thrown in jail for negligence and punished for incompetence. Instead, she got a Bronze Star. It's hard not to think that women get special treatment.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2007 3:52:25 PM
I support women in the military, but not in combat. I'm chauvinistic on this for sure, but it is an empirical chauvinism.

Something is fundamentally wrong with the command of our troops when female troops in Iraq die of dehydration becasue they stop drinking water before 16:00 so they don't have to make a night trip to the toilet where they might get assaulted.

That said I thank you wholeheartedly for your service young lady,

John
 Double Cabin
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2007 5:54:27 PM
Passing night made a great post. Of course I should have qualified my minute experience seeing women in harm's way, my opinion is addmittedly narrow in scope on this. I encourage you to follow his advice. Pursue your options, but of course be as discreet as possible given you're still in the service.
 PhilMeUpBaby
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 5/19/2007 2:42:13 AM
What do you think...should us females be allowed to serve with men

Ohhhhhh... a military lady... heck, I'd be glad to serve *under* one any time!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Actually, it's just occurred to me that I actually do have a lot of experience with dating women with significant experience in war and hostile situations. They are commonly known as "single parents"
 fetish4u
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2007 4:55:25 PM
I was in the Navy in my younger days. I figure women can do a job as good as a man.I was attacted to a hospital ship during Desert Storm/Shield.We had a crew of men and women.They worked good together.There were rumors of men and women getting together while on ship but I never seen it.If they didn't it wasn't with the Navy's approval.Yes,I do support women in the military.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > do you support women in the military?