Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Eggs Sardou      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 justforumsplease
Msg: 1
Eggs SardouPage 1 of 1    
This is a more decadent, calorie laden, and sinful dish than Eggs Benedict... your arteries will not love you.

Although I am sure that others who will remain nameless will insist that it is not made this way, I got the recipe DIRECTLY from Antoine's in New Orleans, where it was created.

Prepare the creamed spinach ahead of time. Use fresh artichoke bottoms but make sure they're the best quality. Warm them up and set the pan in a 175F oven; do the same with the creamed spinach. Prepare the hollandaise sauce and set the container in warm water while you poach the eggs. Assemble on warmed plates.

3 cups creamed spinach (recipe below)
6 large (or 12 small) artichoke bottoms
12 poached eggs
3 cups Hollandaise sauce

Creamed spinach
2 cups fresh spinach, cooked, well-drained and finely chopped
1 cup New Orleans-style Bechamel sauce ( find a recipe for DIY... I had to.)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
Add the chopped spinach to the bechamel sauce and warm for a few minutes over low heat, stirring constantly. Mix in the salt and pepper, then set the pan in a 175F oven to keep warm until final assembly.

Poaching the eggs:
Break each egg you want to poach into an individual small cup. In a saute pan bring about 1-1/2 inches of water with 1 teaspoon of vinegar to a simmer. With the water simmering, slice each egg into the water from the cup by lowering the cup almost to the surface of the water and tipping it. Cook each egg for about 2 to 2-1/2 minutes in the simmering water, spooning some of the water over the surface of the egg during cooking. When the egg is cooked, lift out of the water with a mesh or slotted spoon, letting water drain off for a few seconds.

Assembly:
Put 1/2 cup warm creamed spinach on each warmed plate. Place 1 or 2 warm artichoke bottoms on the bed of spinach, then set 2 poached eggs on the artichoke bottoms. Cover each portion with 1/2 cup hollandaise sauce. Serves 6.
 JustKelly70
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Eggs Sardou
Posted: 4/7/2007 10:30:25 AM
Can you UMMM, nevermind
 justforumsplease
Msg: 3
Eggs Sardou
Posted: 4/7/2007 11:35:36 AM
Well, livelife70...

One COULD, theoretically, make it with a coffee maker...

The burning question is, would you want to eat it if you did?
 JustKelly70
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Eggs Sardou
Posted: 4/8/2007 3:03:54 PM
Your right, after rereading this I would need a pretty big coffee maker.
 curlygrl
Msg: 5
Eggs Sardou
Posted: 10/24/2010 2:30:51 PM
Would you believe the original
Poster is actually making this for me tonight.

I'm sitting here watching him make it and putting on weight just smelling it.

Yup. I'm gonna need a nap.

Yup. Its very rich.

Edit: this was absolutely amazing.

Served on top of an English muffin with an anchovy. If you don't like anchovies then omit but truly
Amazing. I could eat this everyday but my ass would get huge.

A real good recipe.
 jojoaus
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Eggs Sardou
Posted: 10/29/2010 3:07:21 PM
Sounds like a perfect Sunday brunch dish.. so if you would care to share the OP, he could pop over here to Aus and dish it up in around 26 hours from now
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Eggs Sardou