Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > would you pay money to be on this site      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 justmejoe1
Msg: 1
would you pay money to be on this sitePage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
would you pay money to be able to meet people on here...most likely this post wont last long..it will be deleted...but if it wasnt a free site..how popular would it be..i think when people pay..they get more for there bucks..and screening people is much better
 moon_fish
Msg: 2
would you pay money to be on this site
Posted: 4/7/2007 9:38:41 PM
how is screening better when you pay? you go on wahoo or hatch and you get no screening .. and those are the BIG PAY SITES... your nuts and dont know what your talking about.
 Ron9
Msg: 3
Posted: 4/7/2007 9:42:24 PM
no ..............................

I like this site better than most but - it has nothing to do with free or not. Well maybe it does actually. Since it is free it draws and keeps more people - the fact that it has more people helps make it more fun/interesting.

To me there is just something cheezy about the pay sites. There is something more honest about POF and the people that run it.

The pay sites (most of them) are so silly they insult my intelligence (and others too I bet). Say you have a profile there but don’t pay. You get all these spam emails with like 50 hot chicks and it says something so stupid like “Ron all these gals are dying to hear from you” - yeah right a page full of 20 year old hard bodies would be ALL MINE if I just paid the silly site the money they want.

They must really think people are totally stupid.

POF don't do that kind of nonsence. They have too much honest class for that crud.

"i think when people pay..they get more for there bucks"

That just don't make any sense - how can you get more for your bucks than you get at POF for no bucks?

I was on a pay site for a year - it was lame compared to POF.
 ddream
Msg: 4
Posted: 4/7/2007 9:52:41 PM
Well, i've thought of setting up my own datingsite, but never got around. One of my main ideas has been that Dating and other services should be available to the public for free. So my answer would be NO. There's other ways to make money like creating extra features that are payable, or by attracting advertisers.

But the main purpose of the site should be free.

Besides I am Dutch and most Dutch are known for their interest in free things. LOL.
 Mother trucker
Msg: 5
Posted: 4/7/2007 9:52:44 PM
Nope, probably not!
 hazy444
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/7/2007 9:53:34 PM
How does this pertain to relationships????

posting rules are located at the top of the page...

on topic....
pay to be on this site...? this site is priceless.

drg1301
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/7/2007 9:54:07 PM
Nope . I have been on the pay sites. Not only do you find the same sort of people on them it is often the same people.
Players love the pay sites. Want to know why? Because of the wide spread belief (belief not fact) that people are more serious if the have to put out there money to be there. Makes a prime hunting ground for players.
You will also find a lot more people have multiple profiles and fake profiles.
Then when your subscription is ready to run out all of a sudden you start getting all lot of sudden interest from all kinds of hotties profiles. of course those profiles are often owned by the site.
There was one real one once. She had no idea that a computer generated mail had been issued under her profiles name.
 moon_fish
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/7/2007 9:57:56 PM
tell me who screens? and for what ? hey because of your age.. I'm going to be very direct with you. If someone is not psycho... and you meet, don't forget they could be people with various pasts, felons or druggies... scam artists.. gals with pshyco ex's... gals who arent even gals..... ( trannys).....and if they are none of those things, they still could be people who are with diseases... severe and huge amounts of debt, curious occupations sometimes not exactly legal and a host of other things. If you want someone pure, your going to have to go chat up a nice lady at your local convent.

ps, no I would not pay, has nothing to do with the site but the dating society in general
 good_kind
Msg: 9
Posted: 4/7/2007 10:02:27 PM
I prefer the pay sites because the women there receive way less messages, they get a lot of "winks/smiles" but when it is returned, a message does'nt follow (most of the time) from what I hear.

Since my e-mails hardly ever get responded to on pof (because it's a free site and men are able to message at will), I stay here because of the forums. If posting in the forums meant I had to be a paying member, I'd had left the site a long time ago.

This site is the worst, yet, the best site I've ever been on because of the forums. But I would not pay simply for the forums.

Guy
 jumbo shrimp
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/7/2007 10:13:20 PM
I would not pay for this free site. It would violate the concept of free. I would not want to be responsible for that big a change in our language.
 haywiresue
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/7/2007 10:14:29 PM
I have been on a paid site and POF.

By far, POF has more to offer. I have met new friends from meeting people at events and getting involved in the forums.

I have met more men on this site than the paid site and as dating is a numbers game - being where the most people are, provides the greater opportunities.

I think the free site offers a lot more to people regardless of their income level, as many people would be unable to participate due to user fees.
 jimi77
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/7/2007 10:34:43 PM
no.. i think when you add money to it, it puts pressure on people to find that one.. I like the free back and forth that goes on and i don't nind the little ads that our on here.
 ohnoudidnt
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/8/2007 12:11:00 AM
No. I'm Ms Personality. Don't have much going on in the looks department which is pretty much all most people care about online. I'll stick to real life dating and have fun on the forums.
 Wrinkledstockings
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/8/2007 12:12:27 AM
Absolutely not. It has a transatlantic bias. A lot of my interest comes from Canada and the States. What use is that? If I were to pay for any site, it would be one with a UK emphasis.
And it is totally skewed. A prime example being that smokers can vote to have a thread about smoking deleted because of what? Because it is 'repetitious'? What subject that comes up hasn't already been done to death, isn't being done to death? Yet someone can post a profile which is obviously touting for sex. And people can post groin clutching images etc etc. It's ok as long as you are not exposing a bodypart. Right? Oh and there is no problem with a thread about oral sex. Priorities need looking at.
 argfin
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/8/2007 2:01:54 AM
No,

Maybe worth it for the ladies, but as a guy I get very little contact.
 Summer Teeth
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/8/2007 2:09:22 AM
What attracted me to join POF was the fact that it is free. And it keeps me here. If I had to pay, then I would "magically" become "unaddicted" to the forums. Bantering with all of you is fun, but it's not THAT fun. I would find a way to keep the friends that I have made here, and then I'd move on without a second thought--without joining ANY dating site.

I have joined two other paid dating sites in the past, and they were awful. Why? Because the participants aren't even interested in being friends. Why? Because they're paying for it, and they better find some romance fast! Time is money! But friendship and romance don't work that way.
 tall.cold.1
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/8/2007 4:44:49 AM
I was a paying member (no pun intended!) of AFF for a year. The girls on there didn't seem too serious about meeting. Or at least meeting me! One even turned out to be a camgirl (surprise surprise!).

One thing I found out from being a paying member of AFF was that since creating a profile is free, you have a lot of "standard members" as opposed to gold and silver members. Why the hell would I want to pay good money to be able to contact someone who isn't a paying member??? After all, women nowadays have careers too and can afford to pay.

On the flip side, who would want to pay good money to be on various dating sites? Especially when a lot of the people on the site are "repeats" from other similar sites. Yeah, as another member said, when you have a paid membership on a dating site, you want to make sure you get a good ROI (return on investment). I don't think I did on AFF. The only one serious gal I met on there was obese. We had a lot in common, but I don't want a woman who weighs more than I do. Sorry, that just isn't my thing.

Now I would pay to buy foreign women's addresses from a "mail-order bride" site. In fact, I have a couple of times. I haven't gotten married from that yet, but if you consider having sex as a good ROI, then yes, I got what I paid for. And of course I got to see other countries and experience different cultures. Some of those sites even offer tours, which is a great deal for guys. Normally the ratio is 20 guys to over 100 women. With dating sites I would even say that it's the opposite: 5-to-1 guys to gals.

Some say that "mail-order bride" services are for "losers", but why not increase the odds in your favor and get the kind of woman YOU WANT instead of settling for whoever might be attracted to you, especially if you're not attracted to them as well?
 MB58SC
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2007 6:12:35 AM
Nope, I'd be like "Peace nugga!"
 JulietJuliet
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/8/2007 6:15:32 AM
No, I wouldn't pay to be on any dating site. Pay or no pay they are roughly the same.
People from pay dating sites look for the same thing as people on free dating sites.
There is still the usual married people after a bit on the side, people looking for sex, nice guys, nice women, fruitcakes, people on the rebound, trannies, lezzo's, homo's.
I fail to see where the value for money comes into it.
POF forum's rock, and generally I find it a wonderful site when I'm not looking to date!
 MB58SC
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2007 6:17:50 AM

POF forum's rock, and generally I find it a wonderful site when I'm not looking to date!

Oh the irony. Plenty Of Fish is right, but almost all of them are pumpkin seeds.
 sassy classy lady
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/8/2007 6:29:05 AM
I have been on the major pay sites, and you all know which ones those are, and have been contacted by the "scammers" on both. So much for screening.

When you really think about it - the screening should be done by you. Would you buy a car or house based on someone else's judgement? I sure wouldn't. Same holds true for finding a date, mate, etc. The click or chemistry may appear on the first meeting or it may not. Patience is needed to let nature take its course. And while there are some who think they are above reproach and perfect, the majority of us are not - it just depends how loud the skeletons in your closet rattle.

This is a very good site and I tip my hat to the person who started it. If you really feel as strongly as you do, leave the site and get your credit card out.
 000firefighter
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/8/2007 6:34:27 AM
There was a site that was free for a while then they made it a pay site,only 5$ for the year,,but its population has dwindled to almost nothing. They offer free months now and then,but I think they messed up. I would hate for this to become a pay site after reading some of the posters that would leave the forums,,I like the forums there are some really intelligent people who's posts I like reading...and some funny people also that just crack me up...I would only pay if (JJ) was staying...
 SOBEIT19
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2007 6:36:35 AM
Nope.. it changes nothing.. Screened people lie in their applications.. It might stop a convicted felon from joining but they could always use someone elses information to join. You pay for Eharmony, they supposedly screen.. yet one of my relatives was raped by a man she met on that site..
 .Marc
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2007 6:50:53 AM
I'm on E Harmony.... and there's too many hoops to jump through. Yes, it shows me people that MIGHT be a good match for me, but I can usually tell if I'm going to get along with someone by their interests and writing style.

The bottom line is that it is difficult for me to meet people this way. I'd rather be here, pay nothing, and get no messages than pay the insane amount that some of the pay sites want to get no messages.
 Artistee
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2007 7:42:08 AM
I don't think the results would make any kind of difference either way...but I sure wouldn't pay a yearly or monthly fee just for the forums!
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > would you pay money to be on this site