Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Don Imus insults Rutgers women's basketball team.....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 knoxman
Msg: 1
Don Imus insults Rutgers women's basketball team.....Page 1 of 29    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29)
Boy, this has really flared into something, hasn't it? In my opinion, it was no worse than anything you hear or radio or TV on a daily basis. Yet people(Al Sharpton,Miles Brand)are blowing it WAY out of porportion. I say let it rest. What do the rest of you think, and why?
 gentlepatrick
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Don Imus insults Rutgers women's basketball team.....
Posted: 4/9/2007 8:21:37 AM

it was no worse than anything you hear or radio or TV on a daily basis

what do you listen to????????????

it was a horrid thing to say
 gentlepatrick
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2007 8:35:20 AM
sorry cav but 'nappy-headed hos' is racial
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/9/2007 9:15:02 AM
So...why does New Jersey have anything to do with what he said?
Was it ok because Rutgers is in New Jersey?

Personally, it WAS offensive and an apology only goes so far really. I doubt he meant his apology anyway since it was as a result of the outcry. Sometimes "I'm Sorry"
just is not good enough.
Sure it was racial...if the team were all white he would not have said they were nappy headed ho's now would he?

He should be ashamed of himself.
 gentlepatrick
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2007 9:22:10 AM

I doubt he meant his apology anyway since it was as a result of the outcry. Sometimes "I'm Sorry"
just is not good enough.

my first wife loved that theory which is why she is my ex. I think it was rascist and uncalled for but in my view of the world, when a man (or woman) stands up and apologies, I accept the apology and move on.
 knoxman
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/9/2007 1:35:24 PM
I knew it was only a matter of time before some "right-wing Wacko" made a political issue out of this. Grow up,mutnik, and please realize that everything that happens DOSEN'T have to do with Republican/Democrat policies! If you do choose to play the political card,however, I'll be more than happy to send a LONG list of times where Rush has said things 50 times more offensive than the throwaway comment Imus made.
 gentlepatrick
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2007 2:01:43 PM

that problem with the medication

you aren't referring to his use of illegal drugs for which he was arrested, by chance?
 knoxman
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/9/2007 2:22:05 PM
Couldn't said it better myself,Cavalier1968. Of course, don't forget Rush's constant ramblings about Elizabeth Edwards. No matter where you stand politically,that's just vile.
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/9/2007 4:18:57 PM
Of course there is freedom of speech, but that does not mean there should never be negative consequences does it?
Imus was wrong. It was an awful thing to say.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/9/2007 10:11:33 PM
I've been curious about Imus for years since Kinky Friedman seems to like him and his alter ego drinks out of an "Imus in the Morning" mug in all of his books. His apology is the only thing I've heard. Seemed pretty sincere to me. And I don't think it's a big national issue since he doesn't have a national show. Rightwinggoodguy calls him left; the left calls him right. He probably has a pretty balanced show.
 nipoleon
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2007 2:07:54 AM
Tell me.....
If I go to a record store and buy the latest CD of Hip Hop music by one of the popular Hip Hop Rap artists of today, am I likely to hear lyrics that are just as or more insulting to black women than what Imus said ?
Do these young talented artists not make a lot of money selling CD's with these lyrics in them ?
Or, am I wrong about this ?
 msquared
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2007 7:56:42 AM

Do you have any idea how many times I see the liberals on this site quote IMUS as factual?

Not very often, being as I have been reading these forums for more than two years and this thread is the first time I recall ever seeing his name.

Regardless of whether he is a liberal or not, his comments were uncalled for, and he is now paying for them, unlike people like O'Reilly, Coulter and Hannity, who get a free pass from their supporters.
 knoxman
Msg: 18
Posted: 4/10/2007 8:20:53 AM
Valley of the Dolls:
Who said black women are the least desirable women to date? I've seen and met a lot of black women that I'd date in a heartbeat. I never trust "opinion polls" because you don't know who answered the question. In my personal ad, I never specified any certain race. A good personality means more to me than anything.
 msquared
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2007 9:00:17 AM

What gets me about racial slurs is why is it O.K. for a black person to call another black by the N word and it's accepted and even thought to be humor by some...where if a white man used that word he is being a racist.?

Have you ever jokingly called a friend a bad name? On the other side of the coin, though, you would likely get upset if a stranger used the same word for your friend, even as a joke. Same principle.
 rpburnsusa
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/10/2007 11:54:02 AM
Ask not was it racist, but rather was it true.

Moreover, it seems we will never be able to appease minorities, they will forever be making more and more demands. This will most likely continue until even hard core "Liberals" are finally exasperated. It will then be interesting to see what the response will be.

Agallah005
Msg: 24
Posted: 4/10/2007 6:44:36 PM
THE mere fact that he's calling them hoes bad enough, but Nappy-headed hoes, come on, it's not the only time neither, he was talking about Hilary and saying how she was trying to sound black, then went on to say that she was going to get some gold teeth and some corn rows, what the hell. It's not the first time that he's gone on this nonsense, but now he's really done it for himself. I've never heard of him, but now I know what he looks like. It's sad to see that alot of White men are getting caught on camera or on the Radio(Rush Limbaugh) saying racially biased sentiments. it's pretty pathetic, but atleast they are getting caught.

It wasn't as bad as Michael Richards. but what's Next, Imus goes to Rehab?

I can just imagine him announcing that now.

that rehab must be full of old white men, LOL
 rpburnsusa
Msg: 25
Posted: 4/10/2007 7:50:28 PM
Notice how raerae59 has to wear herself out here on this thread. She knows in her heart that the statements made were accurate, hence her anger and frantic efforts to condemn.

The truth hurts.

The statements made by Imus were made during a game with Tennessee. The contrast between the Rutgers girls and those from Tennessee was sharp. Google the matter and you will see for yourself. Note especially Essence Carson of Rutgers.
 NEKman
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2007 10:01:15 PM
Imus has led an open life forever. He has helped more good causes than anyone else I can think of. His work with children of all races, his obsession with helping injured veterans, and his ability to raise money to support all of this is unsurpassed.

He does all this without rehearsal. The show depends on off the cuff humor and controversial remarks. Give Imus a break.!!!
 rpburnsusa
Msg: 27
Posted: 4/10/2007 11:10:38 PM
...(A)nd they are intelligent or they couldn't have been accepted to the college.

LOL!

Where have you been? These days being accepted to and enrolled in a college or university is not even proof of literacy.

Tm cbrook, that was a good one asking her if she was in bed with them on the wedding night, lol! Her daughter doubtlessly puts a white rose in her hair every morning as well. You just have to smile at the innocence of some folks in this world we are living in.

As far as apoligizing goes, what about what happened down in Knoxville a month or so ago? Where are all you peoples outrage concerning what happened to Channon Christian and her boyfriend Christopher Newsom?
 nipoleon
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2007 3:26:30 AM
Frankly, I think we give these guys far too much importance than what they're worth.
Imus, Limbaugh, Savage, Stern, and all the rest.
People with mediocre talent and minds get their own radio show and all the sudden they're big shots. The whole world makes them out to be more important than what they are. Any and every little thing they say is taken seriously.
Every one of these guys are overblown, self important peons.
The news networks have had people commenting on this thing who I know hasn't listened to Imus in years. Probably didn't know who he was until now.
Those 3 words are all Imus has said in at least 10 years that anyone has paid attention to.

Now think about it.
Did Don Imus really ruin the Rutgers Women's Basketball teams season ?
Only if the girls on the team let themselves think it did.
When did Don Imus's dumb little opinion become more important than what they accomplished themselves ? That's giving Imus far more credit than what he deserves.

I wish AM radio would go back to playing music again and get rid of all the publicity seeking preachers and pundits .
 sweety_jenn
Msg: 30
Posted: 4/11/2007 10:24:30 AM
black rappers call black women ho's all the time in their music where is the outcry over that al sharpton is a joke!!!
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 31
Posted: 4/11/2007 10:29:20 AM

We all say stupid things from time to time

There is a HUGE difference between something stupid...ie "is Chicken of the Sea" really chicken or tuna?" and something racist, sexist or cruel. The lack of understanding of that is well........rather stupid.
Further, a talk show host is NOT in a casual nor private environment therefore its even more incumbent upon him/her to THINK and use responsible behavior while utilizing that medium.

his comments are no more important than anything Bill O. or Rush says....two guys who regularly stick their foot in their mouths with little or no public outcry.

Do you really think that Lush and Oh my!ly haven't had a few notable sessions of public outcry? Do ya remember Lush on MNF? Guess what? He is no longer employed by them.

Yes, they are simple(minded) people but simple(minded) in the media ARE to be held to a standard to enjoy their employment status. You and I are as well eventhough we are not talk show host. Even POF has standards for postings

Charles Barkely has said people who say something stupid shouldn't lose their jobs when they do it on the 1st time. Of course he feels that way because if the standard is just simply saying something stupid; HE'D HAVE BECOME UNEMPLOYED LOOOOOOONG AGO
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 32
Posted: 4/11/2007 10:38:45 AM

Did Sharpton make a public appology for stimgatizing those innocent people. Hell NO. He was too busy looking for other victims for his racism.

Speaking of" lashing on to anything" negative.....this thread isn't about Al its about Imus who by nature of making racist remarks publicly shows that he is very VERY likely a racist. For the record Sharpton DID appologize publicly for rushing to judgement. Interesting that this is brought up when it occured 20 years ago!
 singlemaninMD
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2007 12:03:14 PM
Geneseo,
That is what inflames me the most, when the shoe is on the other foot it isn't news. Only when white on whatever. The Duke thing was an obvious ploy to extort money from rich kids' families. They will be paid handosomely for the character assasination they experienced. Does Sharpton need to apologize or be fired? That's what I thought!

Imus was wrong, plain and simple he should have known even though he has a LONG history of insulting everyone and attacking racism through humor, he just should have known a white guy gets crucified for this today! The pendulum needs to swing evenly not just to the white versus everyone. There is stupidity going on every day. Watch the comedians on HBO and tell me what you think. Should he apologize? Yes! Be fired? No way!
 singlemaninMD
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2007 1:43:06 PM
Hey pretty have you heard any Rap songs recently? Why is what Imus said so much more insulting? I disagree with what he said but ponder the degrading lyrics being spewed out on these cuts. I would be much more incensed by those type of remarks, sterotypes and portrayals myself.
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Don Imus insults Rutgers women's basketball team.....