Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Are looks that important??      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SthrnButtrfly
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Are looks that important??Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Sadly, some of us are not "picture perfect". I have been told I don't do my pictures justice, but it seems alot of guys "view" me and then disappear. Then again it could be the "serious" poem I start off with that is pretty intimate or that fact that I am in law enforcement...who knows...I just leave my profile on here and hope that somewhere out there is a man who likes me for me, single parent and all and can appreciate the fact that I take care of my own. As for me, the picture always pops up first so yes I do look, but alot of the men's profiles I read are so shallow and the "click" isnt there so I dont send them an email. I have replied to one or 2 without pics and then we go to email for the pics ....even went as far as meeeting one guy this way...sadly tho, he was nuthing like his picture to which he confessed it was almost 10 yrs old...LOL. Live and learn. Seems most the guys on here who have responed thus far are only into the looks thing which tells me yall need to grow up....I was married to a Tom Cruise look alike who was an azzhole inside....Remember "Don't Judge a book by it's Cover" there are a lot of great people out there whose personality beautifys them inside and out.

That's my 2 cents worth!!!
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 26
Are looks that important??
Posted: 4/9/2007 5:48:34 PM

What I do wish is that PoF allowed us to upload video clips. I think hearing and seeing one talk would be a good idea.

It's not the same thing, but you can use webcam with IM, and it includes audio. Next best thing.
 StarreGazer
Msg: 30
Posted: 4/9/2007 6:47:11 PM
Picture: Reasonable attractiveness draws me in.
Location: If she is close by, that sparks my interest even more.
Personality: If what is expressed in her profile is fairly close to what I'm looking for, I'll try to arrange a meeting with her.
Trophy: I have no need or desire for "arm candy".
 braindrain22
Msg: 38
Posted: 5/18/2007 11:24:11 AM
So hippocritical. If looks weren't important to you you wouldn't be single. There is no doubt that some unattractive men would love to date you and you will find one who is bright and has common interests.

The need for physical attraction is the most natural thing in the world. Men place much more emphasis on looks but we are naturally programmed this way. Blame god, not us. Of course if the guy is smart he will also require a brilliant mate. We are only looking for equals. Equal in physical beauty, intellect, morals, etc.. but you must have these 3.... 2 of the 3 does not cut it.
 MONEMPERER
Msg: 39
Posted: 5/18/2007 11:31:46 AM
lets see if the women sparks my interest in the looks I will contact her. If she has no pic and has a funny headline I will read it.
 Adam Taylor
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 5/18/2007 11:54:13 AM
It's all about WHO they are.
Sure, looks are nice to have... but they're not important.
Beauty comes from within. If your personality attracts me... I don't care what you look like.

I'd say there's plenty of men who think the same. Ones who aren't looking for a trophy... but for an equal. Someone to share the joys of life with. The highs and lows. Someone to support and lean on. Someone laugh and cry with. Someone to love and cherish and respect. Someone to be proud of, and make proud of you.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 43
Posted: 5/18/2007 2:19:23 PM
lynx18 (OP),

Yes, everyone looks at the picture first. It's human nature, even if you're scanning as to whether they have kids or not, are separated or not, etc.

Pictures rule people out. Standard method that I think most of us use: You look at the picture, and if they seem attractive (or close to it for some), you move on from there and read their profile and what they wrote about themselves. Something selected/written about their profile may rule them out if their picture doesn't.

A great personality can't overcome abhorent looks. It can, however over time, make that person physically more attractive in one's eyes if there's an uncommon personality match. In the case of viewing profiles, I could see some guys who feel a strong need to find a woman with certain personality traits run into one dead-on, but her picture's "not that attractive but not ugly", but write her since she seems like a rare catch. But I don't think it's terribly common, tho.

Looks are a very important factor. For everyone. For you, too. Looks being important doesn't mean someone's some hollow, shallow individual looking for a trophy wife.
 acgoat
Msg: 45
Posted: 5/18/2007 5:20:41 PM
OP

Picture of course.
Why do you think they have pix at top half of the profiles

Not concerned about a [ trophy], but a face and overall build that is easy on the eyes and pleasing to me.

Anyone that says it doesnt matter,,,,,, I would question there honesty
 acgoat
Msg: 47
Posted: 5/18/2007 5:36:46 PM
SuiteRockerBoy on 4/9/2007 947 PM
Subject: Are looks that important??
Message: If looks werent important, we`d all have posters of Mama Cass hangin on our walls.

TOO FUNNY

So true
 Cheerful_Trousers
Msg: 50
Posted: 5/18/2007 9:47:54 PM
As I've said before its alot easier to fake a profile than fake a picture. You can set up the angle, the lighting etc, but in the end its still your mug going in the photo. A photo is alot more honest than someone describing themselves with the motive of impressing the opposite sex.
 AT specialed9999
Msg: 53
Posted: 5/19/2007 1:34:53 AM
Ofcourse looks are important.I guess it really depends on if your interested in dating or just making friends.If im going to date a woman,without a doubt there has to be a physical attraction.As for simply chatting and making friends its not so important.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2007 4:48:53 PM
The picture is at the top, and I have to scroll down to see the rest, so it's the picture by default. However, I do read most profiles.

But if I saw them in the forums, then it is what I saw in the forums that I see first.If I like it, then I look at the whole profile.
 Seavoyage
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2007 5:54:37 PM
Well, for me, I look at the eyes the most. Somehow if I like their eyes and personality and they look somehow appealing to me (I don't mean a model's face or figure) then I would be drawn to that person. If I don't really like the personality much I wouldn't contact the person no matter how good looking and if a person isn't that good looking but has a great personality there is a good chance I would contact the person or appreciate being contacted by her and would at least reply.
 invisabella
Msg: 63
Posted: 7/20/2007 9:15:13 PM
I find looks very important to me. It's not that I have a particular look in mind, but to start a good and not overly posed photo allows me to pick certain nuances like expression or shape of the eyes, bone structure, posture, style of clothes, hair style, and so on.
I like a man who looks healthy and real good for his age.

One of my senses are my eyes and I use them!

I take care of my appearance and I like a man who does the same.
 Roamingsiris
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2007 9:25:20 AM
Ok...

So, heres how it works for me.

Looks ARE important, I have to be attracted to the girl. However, personality ends up making or breaking the deal as it were. I mean, she could look like jessica alba, but if shes got the personality of a potatoe its probly not going to go anywhere. Now, she could have the MOST amazing personality, but, if im not attracted to her, again its probly something that just isnt going to work out.

I mean, when standing in the bar, I dont just go around talking to EVERY girl there (even if some of them might have the 'perfect' personality) I talk to the girls that I find attractive. Its the same for here.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Are looks that important??