Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Does Bipolar = Liar?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 1foothillguy
Msg: 3
Does Bipolar = Liar?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I dated a gal for a few months who was bi polar and found her to be extremly honest and open. It was the mean streak I couldn't handle, she would just snap at me all the time for no reason. Call me crazy, but I don't like being yelled at.
 mlm_mlm_mlm
Msg: 16
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 6/25/2007 2:41:49 PM
bipolar used to be called manic depressive.

I dont know if they all lie but they are all a little unstable moodwise for sure. Not someone I would ever consider for a relationship... not even a close friend.... that is creepy stuff to me.
 LittleMissScareAll
Msg: 18
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 7/18/2007 10:51:52 AM
Depends. The last guy I was in a serious long term relationship with claimed to be bipolar and he's the shittiest person in existance. Lied to me about EVERYTHING...
But then I have another friend who's bipolar and he's the sweetest person ever, has never lied to me about anything that I know of and I couldn't imagine him lying.
 LittleMissScareAll
Msg: 19
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 7/18/2007 10:53:19 AM

I think it would just be when they are unmedicated

That's a good point. My nice friend is on medication and my sucky ex wasn't... could be the reason they're the way they are.
 bluezoot_riot
Msg: 28
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 2/28/2008 5:35:43 PM
I'm bipolar, I choose to give it to God. I don't take lithium because I just can't trust something that deprives me of my ability to think. It's an everyday affair, with pride, with God, but I feel I need to make peace with Him in order to be healed.

"Faith, hope and love remain, the greatest of these is love."
 junipermoon
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 3/1/2008 4:25:32 PM

a bipolar is a walk in the park compared to a Borderline.

boy, is that ever true! the bipolar sufferer, from what i understand, may not realize when they don't speak the truth. they seem to 'lose time.' like they had a week-long manic phase and think stuff that happened 2 weeks ago happened yesterday.

whereas, the borderline experiences delusional thinking. at times, if they realize that it's delusional, they'll convince themselves that it's real. it's wild how they honestly come to believe complete fiction.
 Christopher93
Msg: 33
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 3/2/2008 10:52:49 AM
To the OP:

I dated a bi-polar girl for three years. Much like other posters have mentioned, she was great for several weeks at a stretch, and then she'd have a mean-streak for a few. Was NOT one of my best relationships, let me tell ya.

As for lying, she would definitely say a lot of things that simply weren't true, but I don't think she knew she was lying. Bi-polar disorder gives a person a warped understanding of the world, so when she was manic she was overly optimistic and even though she knew she was stretching the truth, was probably confident that it were true.

Same when she was on a depressive swing. She probably knew she was stretching the truth, but was so depressed that exaggerating the negative of the situation seemed reasonable to her.

- Christopher93
 junipermoon
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 3/2/2008 5:54:35 PM
i wonder if, since apparently so many of them don't stem from bio-chemical imbalances, if one person, due to many existing factors, can suffer from many disorders simutaneously. and get so good at masking and presenting normality that they all go untreated. i guess people like that reserve their more unsavory behaviors for certain individuals and hide them from everyone else.

and how long can someone like that stay in denial? what kind of event would need to take place before they admit they have a problem and seek help?
 medchick911
Msg: 36
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 3/2/2008 9:33:16 PM
hmm this is an interesting question.

well i am bipolar and manic depressive. and i personally dont think i am like that. my friends around me always say i joke alot and sometimes say that i lie alot. but i dont htink they are lies, just jokes.

like i can say, oh school is on tuesday, and later say "kidding its wednesday haha" , i dont think that is a lie.

personally i think being bipolar its like a light switch where our mood can change, some people it is more subtle and their mood changes slightly and not so often.

i dont think those people lie alot or its part of the disorder.perhaps, these people lie naturally, and are using their sickness as an excuse. or maybe they are just lying about being sick altogether.
 junipermoon
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 3/3/2008 5:22:57 AM

I would likem to know who said that a mental disorder is not a chemical in balance bi-polar certaintly is as with most mental disorder . you may be thinking about personality disorders

you're right. i had some confusion there.

i asked the questions because i hope to learn a bit more. i recently had an encounter with a deeply disturbed individual and would like to understand the problem in more depth. the person, who refused to seek any sort of help, showed some stuff that looked like bipolar, some stuff that looked like borderline and some stuff that looked like narcissistic personality disorder, combined with an alcohol problem. i walked away unscathed, but i still have this curiousity thing going on.
 Kerri21
Msg: 47
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 12/6/2008 10:26:57 PM
While Lying is not a symptom of Bipolar it is very common among people who have bipolar. One reason is simply because mental illness are looked down on. When they miss work, are late, or a number of other things happen it is easier for many bipolar people to tell a lie then admit that the real reason. Often one little lie turns into many, many other lies.
 kane stays
Msg: 48
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 12/9/2008 5:03:17 PM
I am Bipolar and I won't say I have never lied. I am not a good lier,it makes me a nervous wreck. So I usually tell the truth even if it hurts or ends me up in trouble. People with Bipolar are not all the same. We are not all crazy gun toting maniacs. I myself prefer the cat of 9 tails. I enjoy the sound of the crack of that whip. Now run!
 winstemar
Msg: 49
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 12/9/2008 6:53:52 PM
I have 2 good friends who are both bi-polar and both cant lie for their lives...
 Tah,
Msg: 50
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 12/10/2008 5:13:08 AM
The OP knows a couple of people with "bipolar" the Op knows the the same people to lie so makes a thread.
Watchya rekon ? The Op knows a few non bipolar people who lie and doesnt make a thread about " does not having bipolar=liar?"
 NocturnalSweetie
Msg: 53
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 12/24/2008 11:43:30 PM
I think it probably doesn't have anything to do with the disorder just depepnds on the person. However I dated someone who was manic depressive before and admitted to being a compulsive liar, they were quite proud of the fact. But it was the mood-swings and over the top reactions and antics that slowly alienated me from them. It makes you feel bad because you feel like you are a horrible person because they cannot necessarily help the way they act.
 weights4000lol
Msg: 55
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 12/26/2008 2:13:57 PM
If your not bi-polar or have a degree in psychology I think it's best you make no judgment towards a bi-polar person. Your putting yourself in a field you don't really have any knowledge about you most likely are going by just here say or what you have read. I am well experienced in depression for having a serious case for twelve years. Nobody understands or supports you while you go through it. The best ally you have is yourself. Ppl make it worse, bc their very judgmental and lack the understanding of the subject it's best to fight it alone. Even with therapy, I have seen ppl hang themselves. It's made me quite bitter, but quite smart about the human mind and how ppl react to things they don't understand.

I got over my serious case, with inspiring music = confidence building, exercise = keep your mind busy and spoiling myself = something to look forward to.
 LakeCountyGal
Msg: 57
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 12/31/2008 9:11:53 PM
While lying is not a symptom of being bipolar, sometimes, when we are manic, "stretching the truth" can happen sometimes. I've been guilty of that myself in the past, when I was a bit manic. When you're manic, you can start to "feel" more important, then you actually are sometimes. There's a lot of bravado with mania sometimes. Not for everyone, and not all the time, but sometimes.

Bipolar can be a kind of Jekyl and Hyde disorder for those who are affected by it more severely. But just as there are pathological liars in the general population, there's a certain percentage in the bipolar population as well. I'm not sure how much the disorder affects that ratio.

As a bipolar person, I tend to be overly open about myself, mainly because this disorder affects my depression levels every day, and I like those I date to know up front about this, to be fair to them. I don't like keeping secrets. However, as far as lying, I'm sure I've allowed myself to stretch the truth a bit when I'm manic from time to time, but for the most part, I try to be a pretty honest person.

I can only speak for myself though. Every bipolar person is different so to compare us all against each other, is not really fair. I am always "suspicious" of any generalizations made about us, since every one is different, whether bipolar or not. Don't buy into stereotypes. If you've had bad experiences with bipolar people, please don't judge all of us, against them.
 kpooks
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 1/4/2009 1:08:42 PM
My friend who has bi-polar, was secretive to the end, and could not give me a straight answer about why he was being so mean to his girlfriend. I just don't get it. ADMIT YOUR FAULTS!!! God knows I'm not perfect either! They're ashamed to admit that they have a problem, so they claim "plausible deniability" (lie lie lie). About everything. Haven't heard from this "friend" in almost two years since we had a blowout.

I don't completely trust anyone who has bi-polar. But, if they can at least be honest that they have the condition, that's a good thing. But, still, everything they see in life is through a veil of their emotions. So how can you completely trust what they say, because it's filtered through a dark cloud? Give 'em the benefit of the doubt, but keep one eye open on 'em.
 itty
Msg: 59
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 1/5/2009 7:29:57 AM
My best friend was bipolar and she was honest to a fault. She had difficulties with lies and always bungled it up if she did lie. She was secretive at first about the fact that she was bipolar but the longer we knew each other the more comfortable she was in sharing that fact.

Too many people with bipolar disorder are afraid of the stigma they'll be given if they let people know of their condition. Frankly, I don't blame them. There's so much negative press about anyone with bipolar that they aren't given half a chance to show anyone they're nice people, they just have a disorder that lumps them in a category with all the quacks. it's really not fair to them.
 hurricane hanna
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Does Bipolar = Liar?
Posted: 1/10/2009 4:13:53 PM
When a person has bipolar disorder, they may say things that are 'not true'.

They may promise to get help or stick with their medication, for example, and then not do that consistently. That's often a part of the illness.

Too, they may, during 'up' or 'manic' periods, say things that make very little sense. They may be so 'up' that they say all sorts of things, throw money around, etc.

They may 'promise' later not to 'get manic' again, but they may not really be in control of that.

When a person is manic, they may do all sorts of things you don't like. And when not manic, they may promise not to. Gambling, even sleeping around, can happen when a person is manic.

Being manic is like having a seizure. The person can't stop mania. They can't control what they're doing while they're manic. The key is avoiding them getting manic, by keeping them on medication.

They also may do something called 'confabulate', which is they just start rambling and saying things that are sort of mashed together and don't make a lot of sense, and aren't always true.

They may also try to 'cover'. If they don't remember something, they may try to pretend they do remember or aren't confused about what actually happened.

They aren't truly 'lying'. A person 'lies' to get something, some advantage, or attention, or whatever. A person with bipolar disorder who is rambling or 'confabulating' isn't actually lying.

While bipolar people are just as capable of being dishonest and lying as any 'normal' person, lying isn't exactly a real 'symptom' of bipolar disorder. They may not talk or behave quite as you wish they would, but it's not exactly 'lying' in the usual sense.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Does Bipolar = Liar?