Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Alberta  > Etiquette for adding a person to favorites list      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Passionate_Outdoors_Lover
Msg: 7
Etiquette for adding a person to favorites listPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I was thoroughly chastised for adding someone to my favorites list without their permission. FYI I use that list for the profiles that interest me. If this offends you please then delete me. No need to send a nasty-gram!
 drew8472
Msg: 12
Etiquette for adding a person to favorites list
Posted: 1/2/2009 7:20:45 PM
I've heard that from some women on here but I cannot understand it. Personally I think favourites are a good way of gauging interest. I actually used to write messages to ladies I was interested in, but many times, for some unknown reason to me, they wouldn't write back, if only to say that they weren't interested in corresponding. This favourites thing saves time and energy that would otherwise be wasted.

I think if you like the advert, add it to your favourites list. Wait for a short time to see if they have viewed your profile and if they have added you in return, then you may send a written message. If they don't add you to their favourites or if they don't send you a message, then you might assume that they're not interested. As far as etiquette goes, I don't think there isn't anything wrong with it.
 edmonfella
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/2/2009 8:42:54 PM
I take it as a compliment and let it be... maybe some people read too much into things.
 elusive-one
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/24/2009 11:26:30 PM
Interesting. I actually would rather a man contact me directly. For some reason it irks me when he puts me

on his FAVS list only. IF one is interested, then say so. IF a woman has half a brain in her head, she will say

yes me TOO or no thank-you? Pretty simple wimple in my estimation.
 elusive-one
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/24/2009 11:29:17 PM
Hi there....

I have SO many men adding me to their favs and NO note. Kinda rankles me. Why do they not say HI...I like your smile.

or I noticed you like vanilla ice-cream. bla bla....But adding me to their favs and then never contacting me is one of those things

that makes me go hmmmm....MY version of this "etiquette" if you will is this. IF you are interested in me for ANY reason, send me

a note. THEN if and when we make contact....and wish to continue? PUT ME ON YOUR FAVS...AND I WILL TOOOOO...
 lonelydavid77
Msg: 26
Posted: 3/25/2009 8:00:07 AM
I agree with Passionate one, sometimes, it is a quick way to bring up their profile and sit and ogle at them without being invasive!!

I add people I know, or would like to get to know, and if the latter is the case will send a short note indicating my intentions either for the short course or further down the road. When someone already has 90 - 250 "Favs", makes a person wonder what the attraction is, well, a picture is worth a thousand words, sometimes I get replies and sometimes I don't, the latter is more the case than the former .

I like to use the feature to "bookmark" a profile and then return later and peruse with more scrutiny than the first glance. If there is something to discuss or maybe check out further, I will send an email, not always getting a response, but hey, life is still good and my list of 'friends' is ever increasing. Gotta love it when a plan comes together!
 ~Lime~
Msg: 27
Posted: 3/25/2009 10:22:09 AM
typically i will add you to my favs list...

...then i will download all of your pics and print them out. i then cut out your face and attach it to a tiny cardboard body and dress you in cut-out-doll clothing of my choosing. you are then placed on a shelf along with my other "favs"... dozens upon dozens. on my "good days" i will bring a few of you down from the shelf and we will sit around a small table and have tea and biscuits and talk until the wee hours of the morning.

sigh. good times.

bradley
 ~ Cndn Girl ~
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/25/2009 6:33:05 PM

sit around a small table and have tea and biscuits

I find this part the most disturbing lol

spoiledsambo
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2009 8:13:06 PM
Who cares if you clean it out or not! When a guy emails me and is hilarious, he goes on my faves list, regardless. I've had guys on my faves list forever, sometimes we banter, sometimes I never contact them - never get around to it, or change my mind. Maybe same goes for them when they add me to theirs - no biggie.

Uppity? Wow, you're very judgemental Daisy. Try not to take forums so seriously and there won't be so much negatively among the Fishies - we're all in this together remember.
 ~Lime~
Msg: 33
Posted: 3/25/2009 9:04:26 PM
<<< makes note:

tea, friday midday. take daisy, sambo and cndn down off the shelf. remember to crack open that tin of ashbourne butter shortbreads ive been saving since christmas. yummbly. will go great with the vanilla jasmine blend.

one must have something to look forward to, mustn't one?

bradley
 ~ Cndn Girl ~
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/25/2009 11:28:26 PM

tea, friday midday. take daisy, sambo and cndn down off the shelf. remember to crack open that tin of ashbourne butter shortbreads ive been saving since christmas. yummbly. will go great with the vanilla jasmine blend

I say old bean, you won't be spending the day on your billy tod!

Since you're doing paper cut outs, there might be something nice in the Sear's catalogue, I look good in pink.

gravelman
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/26/2009 7:32:16 AM
maybe some use the fav as a way of getting the other to read their profile, might be a restriction as to distance or age, but very close to the numbers, and one finds the other interesting but cannt send a message first
 dddiesel
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/29/2009 4:43:00 PM
The economy has really hurt my favorites list as i have to pay people to add me and since i lowered the amount that i can payout i haven't been added, maybe next year
 Mikey7619
Msg: 45
Posted: 5/6/2009 11:35:12 AM
Etiquette??????????? on the internet? whats that?
 homes01
Msg: 47
Posted: 5/6/2009 9:16:06 PM
I know it may be rude, but if someone adds me to their faves list and does not contact me, I delete them! It's kinda creepy. What do they want? Just to know when I was last online?

well thats diferent,i put them on and when i have some time i mean to write when i have more time,didnt think it was creepy,but if it gets deleted thats good also as its one less person to contact.the way i look at it, the system cant bite you from it being there,but it also shows that if the other deletes it ,then there is definetly no interest,so in a way it saves you the time of trying to contact the person,either way its all good as they saying goes
 Talitha001
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2009 4:44:32 PM
I've been added to a person's fav list and I have absolutely NO IDEA WHY???? Are they thinking that I'll be notified that they added me and then I'll send them a message to Thank them...or what???? I don't know the protocol for that so I just do nothing..If it was someone I was interested in..I'd probably do just that...But what do you do if you are not interested in them??? Miss Manners...where are you when I NEED you!!!
 Redwine0
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2009 8:50:20 AM
What happen to the favorite list? You can no longer see how many favorites a person has.
 lonelydavid77
Msg: 53
Posted: 8/26/2009 9:22:53 AM
^^^

The site has levelled the playing field!! No longer will we know if someone has 189 on 0 favorites!!

We still can see who has added us as favorites, just don't get the numbers posted. Not hard to take, and there is another thread on the topic.

(Think I may move to Greenville South Carolina!!)
 lonelydavid77
Msg: 56
Posted: 8/26/2009 2:28:34 PM
^^^
Now instead of the last 5 posts, you get to see the last 25 threads they posted in!!

We are all a bit snoopy when it comes to knowing what other people might have said, oh these are public forums, so we aren't sooping, we are gleaning information.
 lonelydavid77
Msg: 58
Posted: 8/16/2011 5:22:22 PM
If at first you don't succeed, try try again!

I use the favorites to remind me
1:) of whom I have sent a note to, or
2:)of whom I would like to send a note to or
3:)of whom I would love to get a reply back from!

The latter is usually the part that is most excellently upsetting, as nothing comes back.

The best way to meet someone from this site is to attend events, OH wait, they don't happen as often anymore, so will some one please get a meet and greet organized!!
 beenhereatimeor2
Msg: 59
Posted: 8/16/2011 5:29:20 PM
Zoot organized meet n greet over wings at Amsterdam Rhino next Wednesday, Aug 24.

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts14558353.aspx
 2magical
Msg: 61
Posted: 8/22/2011 6:21:47 PM
I got tired of sending out notes to say "hi, blah blah" and getting no response. So I added a note on my profile that states that if I put you on my favs its my way of flirting so drop me a line. I have gotten more polite responses this way rather than wasting my time with notes. Sad, so sad that people cant even write back to say Thank you for the favs compliment but I am not interested. ... guess some people just got no manners.
 _shakti_
Msg: 62
Posted: 8/31/2011 11:17:22 AM
Well, at least the number no longer shows on your profile

I add my favorite people from the forums and the occasional local guy if I'm enjoying the conversations. I don't warn them beforehand, I assume that they will figure it out eventually and if they don't like it, they can simply remove themselves..
 dddiesel
Msg: 64
Posted: 9/6/2011 1:51:25 PM
BBBut that was last year me J, i am on my way to the atm as we speak
 GrandeCash
Msg: 65
Posted: 10/1/2011 7:01:29 PM
I never check out my favourites list. Usually, when I don't have time to message the person, I add her into my favourites, but then I noticed that she took herself off my list.

So I don't bother messaging back, I figure she wasn't interested probably.
Show ALL Forums  > Alberta  > Etiquette for adding a person to favorites list