Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Saskatchewan  > Al Gore: An Inconvenient Truth      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 h0ldfast
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Al Gore: An Inconvenient TruthPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
My thoughts are that Al Gore is exploiting the climate change issue for his own personal aggrandizement.
 ~breathlesshush~
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Al Gore: An Inconvenient Truth
Posted: 4/23/2007 11:13:36 PM
*Disclaimer*

I am NOT an expert on this subject, but would like to comment.

I have seen An Inconvenient Truth. I found it very interesting, and would recommend it to most. I personally admire Gore, and think he should of been president, not Bush. But that's a whole other thread...

From what I remember, Gore has been involved with this issue for many years, it's not just a trendy cause he decided to champion. He has been following the amount of carbon gases (I believe) in the atmosphere since the late sixties. I truly believe his intentions are honorable; like most of us, he just wants to preserve our planet.

Yes, he's a celebrity, and gets paid to talk to people. But this also means people are more likely to HEAR what he has to say.

Personally, I would love to go and hear him speak. I think it would be a great experience.

But that's just my opinion.
 hardpromises
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/26/2007 9:41:35 PM

Watch the CBC documentary and you can decide for yourself

The CBC documentary is a puff piece by Carolyn Dunn on a grossly deceptive British "documentary".

While climate change science is notoriously imprecise in certain ways, the CONSENSUS of climate SCIENTISTS is reflected in the IPCC reports. Even the US government (yes, even George BushCo) acknowledges that global warming is real and needs to be addressed.

Al Gore was way out in front on this issue. The film "An Inconvenient Truth" is not sexy, and there is one section that is misleading, but in general, he gets it right. This is one of those issues where the whole world needs to buy in, sort of like ozone depletion or acid rain, and Gore is showing the way.
 hardpromises
Msg: 24
Posted: 5/27/2007 4:45:10 AM
Al Gore is NO scientist....

He completely ignore the Medieval Warm Period and the little ice age.

Al Gore is not a scientist and does not claim to be. He is a very well informed citizen who has weighed the scientific evidence, and has realized there are consequences for public policy which need to be addressed.

He does not "completely ignore" the Medieval Warm Period. I recommend the NOAA web page on this subject as background.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/globalwarming/medieval.html

OT - I can't post this limerick where it would be most appropriate, and it sort of fits here.

There once was a manure connoisseur
Who searched for a heart that was pure.
As she changed a flat tire
She remarked "Life can inspire,
But make yourself useful, dear sir."
 hardpromises
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/27/2007 10:04:09 AM
Oops. I thought niceguy was referencing "The Great Global Warming Swindle". Instead he was referencing this other "documentary" by Lars Mortensen - "Doomsday Called Off". This is a more credible program than GGWS, but it is a polemic and not at all balanced. The scientists cited are mostly arguing on topics where they are not experts, although John Christy of the University of Alabama is an exception.

But the rest of my comments stand. Except the limerick. Change "Life can inspire" to "Words can inspire", please.
 Brenda6969
Msg: 26
Posted: 5/28/2007 8:18:32 AM
I have had the pleasure of hearing Al Gore speak, in person, publicly about the Global Warming crisis that this planet faces. Unfortunately I was not then, nor am I now , impressed with his ability or decision to walk the general public through the explanations better. In fairness, many who have spoken against Gore's rhetoric are also easily seen thru , and carry about as much scientific weight as his arguments but I have found a few climatologists willing to forgo the pressures of their respective communities to speak the plain, honest truth.

I am sure many will find quotes from magazines etc that will back a position, all I ask is that if you read those, please read everything, both for and against. Al Gore is no better than Michael Moore. They allowed themselves to be used to make money for themselves as well as the investors or companies they work for. It was not long ago ( '70s ) that we were to face an ICE AGE, but I digress, I ask that no-one trust one side of any ecologial issue, but to inform themselves. Mr.Suzuki has dissapointed me greatly, as more and more truths or criticism's of his work come out the more despondant he gets. Not exactly the traits of a great confident scientist, but that of a back street bully.
 .Atticus.Finch.
Msg: 28
Posted: 5/28/2007 12:24:30 PM
Suzuki , sadly, is a quack, too extreme, Gore is a politician, somebody find someone to sort this out without profiting or for their own self promotion. IF this does turn out to be the begining of the end, I blame them. Not the refineries, the over population, whatever, I blame the ones who may have known but needed to use the information as their personal weapon instead of a warning.
Gore burns more fuels etc, on a DAILY basis w/o the travelling , and sadly, Mr. Suzuki has long turned to the dark side of environmental science. that is, not fixing it , just blaming others.

Somebody step up, take the reins, find out what REALLY needs to be found out.
 hardpromises
Msg: 29
Posted: 5/29/2007 5:05:45 AM
Is Al Gore a hypocrite? Actually it's a good question.

Where was the issue of global warming in the public eye before Al Gore came by with his book/movie "An Inconvenient Truth?" Scientists argued about the nits, and published regular reports saying "the sky is falling"again and again. Now, global warming is front page news. Canada's former MoE Ambrose was replaced because she wasn't up to the task of such a high profile portfolio. Was that Gore's doing? Or was it the EU buying in, with the Stern Review? Because of a forum thread on PoF? I'd say it's because the evidence is strong, and Gore is once again on the leading edge of an important issue.

He brought the issue profile because he believes the issue is important, not because the issue would bring him profile.

W.r.t. energy consumption. Gore drives a hybrid. Gore was purchasing carbon credits to be CO2 neutral before anyone in the MSM knew that you could. Gore does have a big house, could probably make do with a smaller one. Would anyone like to compare Gore with either Dan Quayle or****Cheney in terms of hypocrisy?
 .Atticus.Finch.
Msg: 30
Posted: 5/29/2007 6:23:09 AM
Actually Al Gore has THREE Hybrid Vehicles, or did a month ago, maybe more. He did not or wont answer how many standard cars he has. You think we need (ed) Al Gore to bring Global warming to the forefront of the global stage? Nein. Typically, for many, purchasing credits to be Co2 neutral will be a great way to use money to simply continue living this "destructive lifestyle" that he ranted about in Texas, and, when our group met him in Illinois.

Al Gore is nothing more than a spokesman, plain and simple, a rich one with a memorable name. Oh, and those hybrid vehicles, he joked with us that they still had the plastic covers on the seats, yet again buying respect or trying to.

I have said it once and I will say it again, IF this is a true Global Crisis, no-one is listening to the "folksie charm " of Gore or the now too usual rants of Suzuki. Is threre anyone in Europe who is heading this crisis, any major group, etc someone with clout?

Oh and nice to see you again Brenda!
:)
 hardpromises
Msg: 31
Posted: 5/29/2007 10:04:40 PM

Is threre anyone in Europe who is heading this crisis, any major group, etc someone with clout?

Who would you consider as someone with clout? Will Gro Harlem Brundtland do? She is, along with former South Korean Foreign Minister Han Seung-soo and former Chilean President Ricardo Lagos, special envoy to the UN Secretary General on the issue of climate change.
 hardpromises
Msg: 33
Posted: 6/4/2007 4:08:12 AM
CBC's Fifth Estate had the major segment of their program last night devoted to the global warming skeptics. Several of the principals were on the tobacco industry side during the smoking/cancer/addiction debates. Many are financed by Exxon, although they've managed to contort their relationship so they can deny the support. None were leading scientists in the climate science research community.
 hardpromises
Msg: 35
Posted: 6/4/2007 6:16:19 PM
Sheryl Crow and Laurie David are not particularly credible spokeswomen on the global warming issue, I agree. Neither is a scientist. David's background is in entertainment and activism; she was a producer of the film "An Inconvenient Truth".

Joe Kernen has a science background, fifteen years ago, in cancer research. That doesn't make him an expert on global warming. His assumptions are wrong. The "documentary" GGWS has been discounted by the experts. He sounds more credible than Crow and David, because he's asking the questions, and they don't really have answers, but David does note that most of the points Kernen raises from the GGWS were addressed by Gore in AIT.

Here is a rebuttal of GGWS from the day after it was aired in Britain:
Climate Change Denial
http://climatedenial.org/2007/03/09/the-great-channel-four-swindle/
 HeyYou2333
Msg: 36
Posted: 6/14/2007 8:46:02 AM
I am pleased to see that many of the people posting here have rejected the intrusion of Al Gore into our political life in Saskatchewan.

I would like to first of all begin by agreeing with many of the people here, that regardless of the current focus or elevated concern over the worlds "climate" it is important to be good stewards in all our endevours - not only the environment of which climate is a natural by-product. That said, it is important to realize that Green issues in Saskatchewan are about the most ridiculous politics, irrelevant and exploitive, that anyone could raise; there are two reasons for this.

Firstly and most importantly Saskatchewan has nothing but Blue-Skys and Clear-Clean-Water. Anyone who is really interested in Green Party's should make immediate plans to move to a region like Ontario (smog riddent Toronto) or New York City where polution is a real issue. Moreover, Saskatchewan's miniscule population of 1 million souls will never have anything like the impact of the the 400 Million people who also inhabit the North American Contenant nor the over 6000 Million who are poluting the planet today.

Secondly, given the first point above, it far more likely that another political agenda is at work when foreign politicians ever set foot across our borders to influence Saskatchewan politicians or public opinion here. Promotion of Green technologies is highly motivated by the desire of countries like the United States to access Saskatchewan resources on more and more free and prolific basis. This has been going on for many decades under changing political methodologies - all of which are bad for Saskatchewan's citizens and Saskatchewan herself. The rent economy that the NDP's Blakney blabbered about, for example, is nothing more than the prostitution of Saskatchewan - a desire strong within and inherent to the NDP foundational character.

The inconvenient truth of this situation is that the foreigners who desire to influence public opinion in Saskatchewan are doing nothing more than the bidding of their own countries governments in order to carry out their own foreign agenda's of increasing the resource exploitation of Saskatchewan. The only thing that will stop this is a foot on their throats and greater awareness of such motives along with a complete destruction of local political parties such as the NDP, Saskparty, and Liberals whose economics facilitate this resource misappropriation in Saskatchewan. The NDP for example has signed every accord for the last 70 years that has allowed greater and greated rape of Saskatchewan natural resources and the Saskparty is promising nearly free access to polution producing resources on a greater and freer scale for the United States - theft to be sure.

I for one would like to say Al Gore may be an interesting character from a narrow perspective in a carfully managed aspect, however, I just can't feel any real care in the world for a guy who one day says he "invented the internet" and the next says he is responsible for beginning the global green movement. The best place for Al Gore's exceptionally unique ego and desire to express it is in a Psychiatrists office.

As a footnote Al Gore used a program called "Pages" on produced by Apple Computers for the computers to make his touted slide show. The program and Apple's inovation are far more responsible for the slickness of the presentation than Al Gore's ingenuity ever was. The images and videos he shows are all readily available through the internet.
 HeyYou2333
Msg: 39
Posted: 6/15/2007 8:09:51 AM

Our 1 million souls are making an impact as we speak. Much of our electricity that we're using comes from the coal fired generating plants at Estevan and Coronach.

It is a troubling fiction for anyone to say Saskatchewan makes an "impact" as the Saskatchewan coal emissions are but 0.06 percent of the polution produced in Canada; an amount that pales in comparison to Calgary's polution-belching-can't-see-down-the-block problems. Calgary alone is responsible for 430 times more polution in one day that all of Saskatchewan. That's an inconvenient truth to be sure! Green Party people should move to Calgary to fight for clean issues there. Saskatchewan has a good environment and will stay that way if keep the immigration at a normal level. Have you ever read the story about Chicken Little...

There are many versions of the story, but the basic premise is that a chicken called Chicken Licken (or Chicken Little) eats lunch one day, and believes the sky is falling down because an acorn falls on her head. She decides to tell the King, and on her journey meets other animals who join her in the quest. In most retellings, the other animals have similarly rhyming names. Finally, they come across Foxy Loxy, a fox who offers Chicken Licken and her friends his help. After this point, there are many endings. In the most famous one, Foxy Loxy eats Chicken Licken's friends...

I think someone should make a slideshow that renames Al Gore and all the other Sky-is-falling folks Chicken Littles. Like Foxy Loxy in Chicken Little, many people who are offering to help us regular hard-working citizens are simply interested in setting themselves up as our Enviromental Overlords, complete with the self-proclaimed higher consciousness, simply to consume something we have or taking something from us; whether it be something as simple as our dignity or as damaging as our savings, these issues always end up costing regular citizens more to foot the bill on. For example, I denounce completely anyone who who sacrifice our Seniors well-being in order to raise the price of natural gas or some other product these elderly people need to heat their homes or live their lives... and don't be fooled, I would crush such a person in an instant if it was a choice between seniors who built Saskatchewan's quality of life and some Enviromentalists Agenda...

Anyway, all this talk about coal fired plants you are raising unfortunately only plays into the hands of foreigners and people from other parts of Canada who desire to gain access to our resources. I know that's not your goal but just be aware of it and it will improve our stewardship and unite us. I can see from reading your statements that you don't want to argue with your fellow citizens over green issues as that is not productive. Unlike your enlightened statements, unfortunately, there are some few people out there who I have a far greater issue with who attempt to set themselves up as Environmental Overlords and divide and distract Saskatchewan people by parroting foreigners concerns over issues important to poluted cities (places like Toronto NewYork etc) that have nothing to do with Saskatchewan.

I assume that the point of this comment was meant to be that pollution is having no huge effect on Sask at the moment????
The purpose of this thread was Gore's message on climate change. The topic wasn't really about pollution.

Not quite the point: the point was that anyone who feels it is central to their life and needs to fight a "Green Party" issue would find much greener fields in which to do battle in a place like Toronto or Calgary where there are days that you cannot see down the block due to smog created by out of control immigration into densly populated centers. There has never been a day in Saskatchewan where any citizen has not been able to see all the way to the horizon.

Because of that, I encourage Green Party people to get to a place like Toronto as soon as possible! It's imperative that the fight for our environment be fought in places like Toronto where polution is an issue. I for one an not going to let "Foxy Loxy" or some "Chicken Little" either try to convince me the sky is falling or eat me alive over something that is a non-starter issue in Blue-sky-clean-water Saskatchewan.

I was glad to read your commments, you make good statements that go along the line of stewardship and I applaud you!
 hardpromises
Msg: 43
Posted: 6/17/2007 7:45:01 AM
HeyYou/ReginaSK

The argument you make, that Saskatchewan is too small to matter is the same argument made by people too apathetic to vote. - I'm one of 5,000 or 50,000, or 5,000,000, or 5,000,000,000, of what consequence are my actions? So it doesn't matter. - Ask the Americans, where Al Gore won the 2000 election, or didn't, depending on which votes you count, whether it matters.

You claim no responsibility for your actions, because your impact is so small.

If I steal one cookie from the cookie jar, nobody will notice. If twenty people steal cookies from the cookie jar, will anyone notice? Eventually, you'll notice. Saskatchewan has fewer citizens than Alberta, but so what? If I take away your rights, but let everyone else keep theirs, what does it matter? You're of little or no consequence, right? Rights and responsibilities are a matched pair.
 hardpromises
Msg: 44
Posted: 6/17/2007 7:58:16 AM
niceguy and I agree on something. Biofuels are not the solution to our transportation problems, and they will most likely increase greenhouse gas emissions.

Who'dathunkit?
Show ALL Forums  > Saskatchewan  > Al Gore: An Inconvenient Truth