Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How many people connect emotionally/spiritually with the outdoors      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 eccentric
Msg: 2
How many people connect emotionally/spiritually with the outdoors Page 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I once touched a tree in N. Carolina, I swear that I could see the indians that used to live in the area.

I had a mountain once express sadness and joy to me all in one day.

Had a dog that stopped me from shooting myself in the mouth, the sadness that I felt from him broke my heart.
 Passinthru
Msg: 4
How many people connect emotionally/spiritually with the outdoors
Posted: 4/25/2005 11:44:55 AM
Absolutely, take a gander at my profile. I spend all the time I can at the falls in the pics and just outdoors in general.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2005 11:51:37 AM
^^^Muskol is better!

This past weekend I camped Friday night at Great Sand Dunes National Park & Preserve. Birds are migrating through the area and taking the hike Sat. morning to the top of the Dunes almost always affords an awesome view of the San Luis Valley. Surrounded by the Saguache, San Juan, and Sangre de Christo Mountains the San Luis is the headwaters of the Rio Grande and the world's larges Agricultural Alpine Valley. I always take long pause at thought provoking vistas. My disabled Vet Buddy/ Falconry Mentor Accompanied me. It is special to get special people to special places. Saturday night we camped on the best day of the year at North Crestone Creek in the Rio Grande National Forest. It was awesome, and even though Sunday morning brought rain Sunday afternoon Duncan Dog and I had an awesome 6 mile walk to see Eagles and Osprey at Huajatolla State Wildlife Area and the La Veta town lakes after we got home. Also saw a couple of dozen elk in between hundreds of deer. Although there was another 4" of snow this morning, a day like Saturday, or even just Sunday afternoon, can carry me a long way.

I make my living from outdor enthusiasm and appreciation. Care about your environment friends. There are many changes going on now lots of people in Washington or your State Capital do not want you to know let alone think about. "THINK GLOBALLY, ACT LOCALLY!"
 YamIhere
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2005 12:18:38 PM
I live in the mountains and couldn't imagine life any other way. I hike all summer and ski all winter.
 Missy
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/25/2005 12:36:50 PM
Nothing like wading thru the Pacific ocean and staring up at the snow capped coastal mountains. We're VERY blessed here in Vancouver. Its the only place you can ski/hike in the morning and swim in the ocean that afternoon that I know of (okay its a little cold to swim right now but you CAN jog/walk the sea wall 365 days a year).
Sitting by a campfire staring out at moonlite lake counting stars is right up there as bestevers as well. I am totally recharged after reconnecting with nature.
~Missy~
 Double Cabin
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2005 2:34:21 PM
Damn it, now you ladies have me wanting to drink bad (opinion) Dutch beer for Jazz Festival and chase Guanacos through the Andes.
 always_striving
Msg: 30
Posted: 4/25/2005 3:11:40 PM
Hiking to the mountains, lakes, rivers, ruins, caves helps heal the soul especially when you take a friend, I like all the positive responses above. Raise your hand if you wanna go.

cool pictures, double cabin
 Double Cabin
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2005 4:22:21 PM
Tents are for weather and bugs. Sleeping, among other things, is best under starlit skies! Woke up Sunday morning to rain, was awesome!
 redneckgirl133
Msg: 39
Posted: 4/25/2005 4:23:16 PM
I connect spiritually with the outdoors and water. My sign is Pisces so I`m drawn to water...When I`m out fishin` at 5am, in a canoe, on the lake, I`ve never felt closer to God.....I love the calmness, the sounds of wildlife on shore and the birds and the peace I feel within...Almost like a religious experience... I can`t get enough...redneckgirl133
 Double Cabin
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2005 6:15:12 PM
^^^^Great point Ashley/Dee. Roosevelt said conservation advocacy was what could help America rival Europe's Great Cathedrals, etc. There must be a thousand Cathedral Peaks in the Rockies.
 Passinthru
Msg: 44
Posted: 4/25/2005 6:15:25 PM
I agree, there is a very spiritual connection and nothing more peaceful that nature especially when water is nearby. I lived on a boat for just over two years and there was nothing comparable. When I got onboard in the evenings I would often pull out of the marina and just head upriver and drop anchor for the night or even the entire weekend- I loved the peace and solitude.

I sold the boat shortly after moving up here and bought the remaining interest in the land where the waterfalls on my profile are located (it had been in the family for years). It's now my favorite place on earth. Back in the '60s my grandfather built and installed a waterwheel which ran a small generator providing limited electrical power for the two small cabins at the top of the large waterfall. I uploaded a pic showing the wheel from below and part of one of the cabins. Eventually I plan to build a modern log home at the site and live there at least part time. That place is my lil bit of heaven on earth.........
 Passinthru
Msg: 46
Posted: 4/25/2005 6:27:18 PM
Have any good recipes for those targets? Mine end up tasting like cardboard- lol
 redneckgirl133
Msg: 49
Posted: 4/25/2005 7:30:06 PM
Hotbush...I am soooo jealous...I too love my fingers (and toes, for that matter) in the earth ...Most awesome feeling...redneckgirl133
 redneckgirl133
Msg: 51
Posted: 4/25/2005 7:45:41 PM
Hey, handsome...Good to see you.....Maybe we can go fishin` some time????? redneckgirl133
 redneckgirl133
Msg: 55
Posted: 4/25/2005 7:51:13 PM
Sweetkitty...take a number and the line of women forms at the right....LOL...he is one of a kind and we ALL love him...Sorry OTB....didn`t mean to talk about you like you weren`t there...LOL...Luv ya big guy...redneckgirl133
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 59
Posted: 4/25/2005 9:03:09 PM
If I didn't love the outdoors, My house and machinery shed would be empty. What would I do with over a dozen canoes and kayaks, tents out the wazoo, (many needing to be broken in properly, take note Ritz), lots of windsurfers (haven't mastered the sinker yet) and a couple sailboats bought at yard sales, that I've owned for years but not had in the water, too many other fun things to do outside. Enough backpacks to outfit a small army, which I would like to make :-) or maybe it might sound better as an army of small ones. Making an army of small ones sounds much better. Don't want anybody to get a wrong idea there. Bicycles, motorcycles, 4wd's, and then all the little stuff that goes with the big things, paddles, life jackets, spray skirts, dry bags, scuba gear, camp stoves (wouldn't even venture to guess how many), different pots and pans, basically anything I find at a thrift store, yard sale, flee market, ebay, or clearance that's priced right and different so I might learn something new I get. Might say I'm a bargain basement gear techie. 6 months in Alaska, camped in every state but Hawaii and Oregon (major omission there, I'll rectify that soon) and sailed a sailboat last year for 8 months from Lake Erie to Florida, biking and kayaking everywhere I stopped.

I forgot to mention any winter stuff, that's another whole room in the basement, snow shoes (6 or 7 different kinds), XC skis (30 pair), telemarks, pack sleds, down bags, etc, etc, etc. I love the experimental stuff from Cabello's outlet stores, can't go past a Bass Pro with checking the bargain cave. I'm in the market for another inflatable Kayak, somebody in Muskegon felt they needed mine more than I did last fall. Had to swim back to my sailboat after an evening of CW dancing and a few hineys. They were nice enough to leave me my rectangular, cheap, make the warden happy orange life vest :-) I used it, cold water, a fast 3 mile bike ride, a few beers and a half mile swim after midnight is not a good mix. So do I like the outdoors, let me count the ways. :-) I don't have enough fingers and toes, can I borrow a couple , maybe If I use base 2 that'll work. Creative solutions to problems, that's what outdoors is about for me. Lets go create something. Back to breaking in those tents, no matter what we do every one of these forums always comes back to sex. Not that it's a bad thing. Would like to post on some of the others forums but, don't think I want that on my profile for national exposure. Mspicky needs new friends, great pictures dee and double cabin, need to share some of mine. Passinthru, surprized I haven't seen you at the falls. I have to agree with Ronniroo In and nips is better. Have a great day. Now time for those hineys in the tent. Speaking of a cold beer, one of these days I'm going to build a 3 pound portable fire recharged ammonia absorbsion refrigeration unit. Got it designed just need to build it. And then there's the car radiator heat exchanger hot water shower unit for after the long day canoeing. And the co2 cartridge lemonade to soda pop converter for the middle celebration of a long week of backpacking.
 redneckgirl133
Msg: 60
Posted: 4/25/2005 9:19:18 PM
Sweetkitty...I`ll fight you for him..LOL...no, I come in peace...redneckgirl133
 Double Cabin
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2005 5:55:48 PM
I dug this up because it is an absolutely beautiful blue bird fall day here in the upper Wind River Valley. Saturday I went out to close some breeches in our fence I thought the neighboring Ranchs cows had made only to find myself less than ten yards from an enormous standing Grizzly. After I did not crap in my pants I thanked Mother Nature for quite a thrill. The Elk are Bugling and the wolves have more or less stayed away since last Spring, they're busy eating Moose over in Grand Teton National Park, don't let some biologist behind a desk tell you otherwise. I've seen more Antelope here on the Ranch than I ever have, they usually stick to lower country down by the reservation. This afternoon I saddled up and got the last of those cows out of the upper pasture, and when I got back it was more than reaffirmed how fortunate I am. With Natural Disasters coming around like they haven't in some time I think some of us might need to remember the glory of being under the azure sky. Get out there folks, share what you see and feel, for with the way our world is wandering we need peace at times before we can keep on addressing the problems of our days. I'm still looking for my hiking hunnie, and I'm still lost without Quaking Aspens and crackling Cottonwoods.
 sammysalt
Msg: 63
Posted: 9/28/2005 5:59:39 PM
Depends if its hot are cold out, and the insects in the area.
I live in the country, out side has its times.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2005 7:32:38 PM
^^^I thought the fashion was to hug trees, not sleep with them.

We don't have those big trees down here friend, Douglas Firs here have much colder winters and less precipitation. I remember climbing Mt. Olympus in College. The trees belwo were incredible. I really want to hike the Wonderland Trail again too. I have grown far more appreciative than I was then.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2005 7:57:47 AM
It is 12 degrees here at 09:00. It is blue bird beautiful, and I have the joyful task of taking a beautiful ride to the dump. Dubois was once rated the second most scenic dump in America. It is a beautiful drive, and the there should be a foot and half less snow in town. The 100 footer is coming folks! It is just so d*a*m*n beautiful I had to shout out to all you outdoor lovers.
 wandercoast
Msg: 71
Posted: 10/5/2005 8:41:17 AM
Nature is my biggest inspiration. To hike down a trailess valley or to stand on a mountain peak overlooking glaciers and emerald lakes. To see Gizzly bears frolicking in the rainforest (but not too close) or follow the tracks of a cougar down a deserted beach....ok I'll stop now!!
 Pandy
Msg: 73
Posted: 10/5/2005 9:59:27 AM
I'm from the Appalachians.....lived in flat-as-s-pancake SC for three years or so now...whenever I go home, I never fail to get misty when I see the mountains in the distance.

My Apsaroke/Crow father used to take us into the woods when we were little and teach us how to listen and how to see the life that was around us.
It soothes me to be reminded of my own insignificance when problems threaten to overwhelm.
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 74
Posted: 10/5/2005 11:45:11 AM
double cabin: Great to hear from you. How you been? It was in the 50's here, yesterday was the 90's tomorrow will be the 30's, your cold front is heading this way. I was talking about windsurfing yesterday, tomorrow I'll be talking about cross country skiing. So what makes the dump so special, I love dumps never know what treasures somebody has left for you.
 jheldatksuedu
Msg: 76
Posted: 10/20/2005 9:00:40 AM
I just turned in two rolls of film for processing and got them back this morning, on inspection one I didn't even remember taking the pictures. The other was last week, concrete work at my brothers in Arkansas. I remember that OK, LOL, 120 yards, some work involved in that.

The one not remembered shows me near a large lake, with tall sand banks, like the Indiana lake shore of lake Michigan and some beautiful waterfalls, and rivers with me hiking down a trail alone. (Alone that's the problem, I need somebody else to help me remember this stuff) Luckily I did include a sign in one of the pictures, it's Tahquamenon falls. I've googled it and found it's in the UP of Mich, near Whitefish bay. Must be from a long time ago, maybe 6 years or more. I've been to too many beautiful places and it's all becoming a blur, luckily I have pretty good film records to jog the memory, but this one was long gone from the memory banks.

Needless to say I do spent some time outside and connect with nature, just some of the connections are becoming disjointed. I think I've got at least one more roll of film floating around some place that needs developing, no telling where it's from, hope there is a sign in one of the pictures, LOL.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How many people connect emotionally/spiritually with the outdoors