Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > is the miami hurricanes a football dynasty      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 canes guy
Msg: 1
is the miami hurricanes a football dynastyPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
i do believe they are miami has produced morre nfl players in the past 20 years then most schools put together miami has 21 first round picks since 2000 including antrell rolle this year
 wiredforlife
Msg: 2
is the miami hurricanes a football dynasty
Posted: 4/25/2005 7:07:55 PM
Dude the Canes rule I've been a Hurricane fan since 1988 and there have been many awesome teams and games that they played.
 dstanley2740
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/10/2005 9:36:42 PM
just because they get a lot of players to the NFL doesnt mean that they are a dynasty. The hardest teams they have played in the last 10 yrs during the season have been UF, FSU and maybe VT. Any team could play the powder puff Miami Schedule and win 10 games a season.
 deejayehn
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/11/2005 11:52:57 PM
Miami does crank out alot of players...no doubt about it. Some of them are good, some of them are busts. They are no more of a dynasty then Ohio State, USC, Oklahoma, LSU, FSU, Gators, VT, and so on...

I expect the fighting Irish ( ND) to improve mightily within the next few years...go Weis...
 NittanyLion
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/29/2005 4:50:14 PM
I don't care for Miami based on the lack on the lack of academic standards placed on the players. Universities and colleges have an obligation to students beyond sports, in my humble opinion.
 mauser
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/29/2005 8:12:34 PM
I wouldn't put them in the same category as teams such as Nebraska, OU, TOSU, or USC. Yea they have a good team but when you look at all the schools playing college they are definitely on the second tear
 NittanyLion
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/29/2005 8:24:14 PM
I think in the '90s I would have said yes. But the dynasty's over. Thank goodness.
 auburn24
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2005 10:54:35 PM
I agree with you dstanley2740!!!
 Barniclebutt
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/1/2005 6:51:47 PM
"I wouldn't put them in the same category as teams such as Nebraska, OU, TOSU, or USC. Yea they have a good team but when you look at all the schools playing college they are definitely on the second tear"

I tend to agree with Mauser. Until you have over 30+ straight years of 9+ wins every year and a NCAA record of 40+ years of sold-out games like Nebraska, then you may be considered a 'dynasty'. No one knew who Miami was before the '90's.
 NittanyLion
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/1/2005 8:13:23 PM
In sports, I think dynasties are a bit more fluid than 30+ straight years of ANYTHING... that's just not the nature of the beast.
 sjdgolf
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/1/2005 10:40:07 PM
Yall are crazy, dynesties arn't about how many players you produce to the pros, it's about how many national titles you win in a period of so many years. The last time i checked, the canes wern't undefeated last year, and they played in the freggin peach bowl. Don't talk to me about dynesties.
 NittanyLion
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/1/2005 11:01:52 PM
Interestingly enough, the Canes were actually a team before last year, so... I don't think that last season really seals up the issue.

Also, not everyone was talking about players that went pro as the primary criteria.

ATPase
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/23/2005 5:01:18 PM
Wow, alot of hate for my 'Canes.

I guess if you cant beat them.......

So is it Miami's fault if they are relatively recent? Weren't all schools at one time or another?

Hey PSU fan, why dont you do some research befor you go off with stereotypical statements about Miami not havign standards for their football players? Sounds like someone is still mad about Sep 1, 2001. We could have hung 60 on you that day in your house. LOL.

Truth is, Miami has graduated at least 70% of its players for like 15 years straight. This year I think we got to our highest yet, over 85%. Miami is almost in the top 50 (#58 in last year's issue of US News and World Report). Your beloved Penn State was 50. We;re not that far behind.

Alot of people don't like Miami cause of the swagger and the confidence and borderline****ness, but you can be like that when you can back it up. Notice a common thread? All of the haters are schools that are big state schools (except ND) who traditionally dominated college football. Along comes this little private school out of nowhere and dominates everyone. Alot of people are just jealous.
 mauser
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/25/2005 12:30:08 AM
When you start beating teams like OU and USC with any sort of consistency I will give you props. Right now I'm not sure your the best team in Florida let alone your conference, not to mention the NCAA.
 NittanyLion
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/25/2005 3:21:03 AM

Hey PSU fan, why dont you do some research befor you go off with stereotypical statements about Miami not havign standards for their football players? Sounds like someone is still mad about Sep 1, 2001. We could have hung 60 on you that day in your house. LOL.

Truth is, Miami has graduated at least 70% of its players for like 15 years straight. This year I think we got to our highest yet, over 85%. Miami is almost in the top 50 (#58 in last year's issue of US News and World Report). Your beloved Penn State was 50. We;re not that far behind.

Easy, there, killer. I was talking about the STANDARDS, and MY OPINION of them. I'm not "going off..." and no one's "mad." I'm all for trash talk, but on a POF thread? That's no fun. Meet you at the next game...
 ATPase
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/25/2005 7:19:30 PM
Ugh, we have beatean OU with consistency. Do a little research. OU went 33-3 from 1985-1987. Their 3 losses all were to little ol' Miami.

Don't you know that m ost of college football is cyclical? How goo was USC 5 years ago? Until 2002 you didnt hear anyting from them since the 70s. OU wasn't anyting great for most of the 90s; once Stoops came they got good. See a pattern here? Most teams are good because of a particular coach. Miami won their championships under 4 different coaches.
 ATPase
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/25/2005 7:47:27 PM
Nitt,

I'ts cool dude. I am from PHilly so I know alot about PSU. Helluva campus. I have no beef with PSU; what I dont like is when people automatically stereotype Miami as a bunch of "thugs" who dont know what they are talkig about. I know they did stuff in the 80s but we got nailed by probation pretty harshly and payed our dues. It's in the past but people keep bringing it up.
 NittanyLion
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/25/2005 8:25:05 PM
I'm not a "dude," but thanks.
 BamaGuy777
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/26/2005 9:45:54 AM
I think they are probably the closet thing to a "dynasty " as you will get now USC though is taking over. The last true Dynasty was Alabama Crimson Tide of the 70s :o) ROLL TIDE!!!!! We haven't done anything since then but its nice to reflect on the past

Bama
 ATPase
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/26/2005 12:01:53 PM
Well, FSU has something like 12 straight top 5 final rankings.. I thik that is pretty good
 ATPase
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/26/2005 12:32:16 PM
Also, I wanna see how USC is after they lost Norm Chow and Ed Orgeron, their defensive line coach, who used to be at Miami. YOu dont just lose the best Offensive Coordinator in all of colelge football (Chow) and not experience effects from that.
 ATPase
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/19/2005 5:52:16 AM
this thread can't die.. .where's the love?
 viceguy2
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/20/2005 6:37:22 AM
They were a dynasty throughout the '90's and turn of century..No question..(saw them rout Nebraska in '91 Organge Bowl)They are no longer one now..but rather a solid program that still pumps out quality (albeit seemingly fewer) college talent.
 lassiter
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2005 11:22:44 AM
miami wasn't a dynasty in the '90's....they were a dynasty in the 80's when they won three nationals championships (they also had a fourth in the early 90's that could be part of the 80's too. No coincidence this was around the time they were caught cheating. miaimi does put out a lot of draft picks, but they can't be proud of their recent quarterbacks...after Kelly and Kosar they've blessed the NFL with the likes of Steve Walsh, Craig Erickson, and Gino Torreta...I'm not counting Dorsey yet, but I believe he's on that same route. and Penn State, since people are talking about 'em, kinda blows it with the running backs...ki-jana, curtis ennis, blair thomas...hope that larry johnson breaks the skid. It woudn't be fair to point other team's failures without mentioning my own: Go LONGHORNS!!! we can't beat OU and are consistently overrated as a team because every year we draft extremely well...my gripe has always been coach mack brown, but we have him clear into the next decade...so i'll just be happy that we are always in the top ten rather than championship caliber til he's gone.
 deadparrot
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2005 2:23:41 PM
I live in Tallahassee now, but I grew up in the Miami burbs and spent enough time in the Orange Bowl growing up to consider my seat at the 30 a time-share. At least since I've been here, Miami hasn't lost to FSU yet, which is a good thing in terms of both face-saving and profitability.

ON-TOPIC:

I can think of five reasons why UM needs to be considered over the last 20+ years. And it should have been at least six if not more, but what's done is done and there's no point crying over it.

Also, just this decade:
2000- 11-1, hosed out of the National Title game by the BCS computer
2001- Undefeated, National Champions
2002- 11-1, lost in the Fiesta Bowl (and we won't even discuss what happened at the end)
2003- 11-2, got beat by a good VT team and a oppertunistic Vols team, still went to a BCS Bowl
2004- 9-3, lost 2 straight conference games and never quite recovered. Just missed a BCS berth, settled for beating up on Florida in the Peach.

That's 4 BCS berths and one near-miss. Which any program in America would kill for.

The funny thing is that most programs would give their left you-know-what to consistantly win 10 games a year and finish annually in the top 10. And I'm not going to say Miami is the be-all end all on that front, but it's not like any other team that's been mentioned hasn't also had a down-cycle period in that timeframe (a few of them dramatically downcycle, including Miami around 1997). FSU has, Penn St has, USC has, Oklahoma has and Notre Dame certainly has.

The other factor that hasn't been mentioned yet with the early Schnellenberger/Johnson era teams is that they incorporated two factors that at the time weren't seen much in major Division-I football: a pro-style passing game and emphasis on team speed on defense. One of the things that Miami doesn't get enough credit for is that they single-handedly changed how an entire conference recruited, since Nebraska and Oklahoma used to go to the Orange Bowl with their hosses and find that their option and wishbone attack would get stymied because they couldn't out-run Miami laterally. So somewhere in the early 90s, Osbourne (and Notre Dame did the same thing to a certain extent) changed his emphasis from size to speed on defense, and that's when they finally beat Miami-- plus Nebraska started running the ball straight ahead rather than try to run around them. If you want to factor in dynasties, teams who make other teams adjust their personnel accordingly is a good place to start

USC is a great great football program and they have a great tradition as well, and even if Carroll moves onto another job, they have enough athletes in place so that the next guy will be propped up for a few years. And there have been a number of dynasties in the last 20 years. I'm not denying that. However, if Miami's defense wasn't in a slight rebuilding/reloading process last year and didn't get exposed by Louisville (and subsequently exploited by UNC and Clemson) no one would be saying that Miami's in a down-cycle. As it is, they'll most likely win 10 games this year even with a redshirt sophomore at quarterback and at least contend for the ACC title, which is more than a lot of rebuilding-year teams can say.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > is the miami hurricanes a football dynasty