Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > There is a GAS STRIKE ON MAY 15      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ModernHybrid
Msg: 1
There is a GAS STRIKE ON MAY 15Page 1 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
In April 1997, there was a "gas out" conducted nationwide in protest of gas prices.
Gasoline prices dropped 30 cents a gallon overnight.

On May 15th 2007, all myspace members are to not go to a gas station in protest of
high gas prices. Gas is now well over $3.00 a gallon.

There are 73,000,000+ American members currently on the myspace network, and the
average car takes about 30 to 40 dollars to fill up.

If all myspace members ALONE did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would take
$2,200,000,000.00 (that's BILLION) out of the oil companys pockets for just one day.
Regardless the website... w e all live in the same world, if not the same ol' states... We have a voice, and for one day, let your voice say :frustrated: THAT YOU REFUSE TO PAY BLACKMARKET PRICES FOR GAS.....

If you agree (which I cant see why you wouldnt) repost this bulletin repost it with
Don't Pump Gas on May 15th or something likewise, SHOW YOUR SUPPORT OF THE CITEZINES BEING UNITED
 Golfer7777
Msg: 2
view profile
History
There is a GAS STRIKE ON MAY 15
Posted: 4/28/2007 1:13:25 PM
This message has been going around for a long time... I bet I have received it at least 20 times from different people in the last few years...
I will be more than happy to boycott buying gas on May 15th.
If only we really could get enough people to boycott, then it would make a huge difference in prices but one day of boycotting will not do it!

I know that my co-workers (18 of them) in my office are also going to boycott buying gas on May 15th.

Let's see how far we can reach out with this... Spread the word!

To the gas companies
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2007 1:27:46 PM
Note to self: remember to buy gas on May 15.

I know it's a minority view, but I'm one who thinks high gas prices are a good thing.

We have a finite amount of oil.

We can either keep using it as fast and irresponsibly as we can until we're suddenly faced with a crisis we're unprepared for, or we can let gradually increasing prices help motivate us to use less and accelerate development of alternate transportation options.

Yes, it hurts a bit when gas goes up a dollar a gallon. We have to make adjustments. Hopefully some of those adjustments include driving less, using public transportation, making your next vehicle purchase something more fuel efficient than what you have now.

And those adjustments help buy us a little more time before the inevitable truly outrageous prices and shortages hit.

Eventually we'll move beyond fossil fuel use. The sooner consumers have to pay higher prices for the fossil fuels we use now, the sooner demand will drive more sustainable options to the marketplace.

So I'll make a point to buy gas May 15th, and continue to cheer every time I see the price at the pump go up. If we're lucky, a little pain now will head off a lot of pain later.

Dave
 dalek1967
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2007 1:43:54 PM
Well, some of us are in a unique situation. I only buy gas every couple of weeks and I try not to drive unless it is needed. I am disabled so buying a different car is not a option for me at all. The one I have now does get a little over 30 mpg though. Even if they came out with a fancy hydro car I couldn't afford to get one for several years, then it would be a used one most likely. Most people don't even think about the people that are on fixed income for whatever reason. We have limited choices and none of them are good ones.

So far, looks like all but one is not buying gas on the 15th. I may not even be in town on the 15th.

wvwaterfall
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2007 2:33:38 PM

What you say makes sense. But have you looked at the economic effect it will have if gas goes to $4.00 or beyond?

I certainly have. I'm not at all insensitive to the hardship $4/gallon gas causes, not just directly at the pump, but in higher prices for everything we buy that has to be trucked to the stores. Now consider the hardship $10 or $20 per gallon gas would cause. Or not having gas at all except on certain days of the month. That's the future we're racing pell mell towards.

I knew I'd start a ruckus. Hopefully I've stimulated some thought as well.

btw, I'm no wealthy land baron. I don't have money to burn. My acreage and tiny house cost far less than the average price of a home anywhere these days. I may or may not crack $20k for income this year. Most of the important work I'm doing right now doesn't have a paycheck attached to it. It hurts my wallet everytime I fill up too, although having bought a hybrid back when I was making more money takes some of the sting out.

But rather than compare personal circumstances, know that I know that many people are directly impacted whenever the price of gas goes up. My point is that however much you think this hurts, it'll hurt a lot more if we're faced with a sudden oil shortage crisis, and the higher gas prices are, the less we collectively use, shrinking the odds of that crisis hitting us before we've transitioned to better ways to move us about.

All the major oilfields have been found. Many are well past peak production. Our consumption continues to rise. Shale and tar sand oil are very energy intensive to extract, and they too have quantity limits. We need to move beyond tapping the planet's savings account like out of control trust fund kids and start living on the planet's interest, not its principal. And we will. One way or the other.

From an energy perspective, the next couple of decades are going to bring a lot of changes. Some of them will hurt. I'm hopeful that ultimately we'll all be better off. I just hope to minimize the pain between now and then.

Dave
 867love
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/28/2007 4:44:11 PM
I would think it better if we all picked a certain oil company and boycott it. if everyone stopped/avoided buying gas from say mobil/exxon, -they would have to cut their prices to move their stagnant product -once they start cutting prices -the other oil companies would follow to keep moving their product.
 MallardHunter
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/28/2007 4:48:06 PM
I don't have the option of public transportation as it is 40 miles each way between work and home..
We are just being raped by big oil.
First there was a refinery capability problem.
Second there was the China consumption story.
Third was Katrina and Rita ( I am so sick of those ladies being blamed for everything).
Fourth it was the weather and people hitting the roads.
I find it strange that many more people decided to travel than the previous year when gas was at a affordable price......

What I couldn't understand was why was everyone accepting these lies.
If there was a problem with refineries producing enough gas, and the supply was low, how come anyone could pull up to any gas pump anywhere in the country and fill up to your wallets content?
Seems they would have had enough sense to create gas lines like they did in the early 70's.

Then we see record profits,,,,in the billions
Saw today where Chevron reported an 18% increase in profits for the first quarter of this year.....
I wonder if the Pres and cronies being oil people have any thing to do with this as in not upsetting their rich buddies?

Like another post said, one day won't work as people will make sure they buy gas the day before,,,However,,,If everyone would pick Exxon/Mobile to be boycotted for a month, Chevron the next month, Shell etc,,that would get their attention.
But, don't stop going into the store to by cigs, drinks, and snacks as those are pretty much independent stores and really don't set the prices of the gas, so no need for them to get hurt, just big oil..
 packleader
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/28/2007 5:57:04 PM
""I would think it better if we all picked a certain oil company and boycott it. if everyone stopped/avoided buying gas from say mobil/exxon, -they would have to cut their prices to move their stagnant product -once they start cutting prices -the other oil companies would follow to keep moving their product.""

This poster has it nailed,but lets go a step further and boycott them one at a time each quarter,since these guys look at things one quarter at a time.

Jan,Feb,March boycott Exxon-Mobile
April,May,June boycott Conoco-Phillips
July,Aug,Sept boycott Chevron
Oct,Nov,Dec boycott Texaco-Shell
What do you think shareholders will do to share prices after this little plan is instigated?

Pack
PS,I forgot to add,lets then short their damm stocks.....
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2007 6:31:12 PM
sigh.....

OK, I started with the philosophical approach. Now let's talk practical.

If the net result is that you buy the same amount of gas in the course of the year, nothing has been accomplished. Playing a shell game by rotating between stations won't send the message you want to send, and will only hurt the local station owners.

How many of you realize that in most places, all the gas at all the stations in that area came from the same refinery? Individual brands then add whatever detergents and other additives make their gas 'special', but in terms of the big dogs running the oil companies, it doesn't matter if you buy exxon or BP locally, if the same total amount of gas is being consumed in your region. So that Shell gas you buy may well have been produced by Exxon, or whoever.

CharlesEdm and ReallyMe have got the true solutions: change your lifestyle so you don't have to buy gas. And trust me, we'll all be modifying our lifestyles in the years to come as gas prices continue to rise. A recent survey indicated that new car buyers rank fuel efficiency somewhere around 20th in their buying criteria - about equal to how many cupholders the vehicle has. Methinks that will be changing soon.

And if you just flat out can't or won't change the number of miles you drive or the vehicle you drive them in, there are still ways to shrink your fuel consumption. I'll add those in a separate post.

Dave
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2007 7:06:29 PM
Tips on how to save gas......

There are a great number of factors that come into play affecting the fuel economy you get. Some of them you can control, some you can't. Here are the three things you CAN control that will bring you the most benefit in any vehicle.

1. Tire Pressure. Inflate your tires to the maximum pressure listed on the sidewall of your tires, NOT the number your car manufacturer reccomends. ALL carmakers promote lower tire pressures to soften the ride. There is an incredible amount of disinformation out there about 'risks' associated with high tire pressures, much of it spouted even by mechanics and tire salespeople. The ONLY downside to higher pressures is a slightly stiffer ride. The only circumstances when you'll get better grip with low pressures is on very soft or very uneven off-road terrain. Higher pressures not only save you a couple of mpg, they also make your tires corner better, stop quicker, last longer, and are LESS likely to blow out, because they run cooler. As long as you have steel belts, they will NOT wear out in the middle. Today's tires are built so well that you're more likely to blow out a wheel than a tire if you were to grossly overinflate. Fuel economy fanatics (I'm one of them) routinely inflate their tires 10-20 pounds HIGHER than the sidewall numbers, and at least in my circle of mpg freaks, we've yet to suffer a blowout.

2. Minimize the need to brake. Every time you step on your brakes you waste energy you used to get you going that fast. That means you're wasting fuel. It's quite possible to anticipate the need to brake and let off the gas sooner, coasting on momentum rather than using more fuel until you stop or slow more suddenly. Two analogies may help: pretend you have no faith that your brakes will work, and drive in such a way that you hardly need them, or pretend you're riding a bicycle and trying to save your legs. That way you'll ease up before cresting a hill, accelerate gently, and stop 'pedaling' well before you need to slow or stop.

3. Slow down. Most vehicles get the greatest fuel efficiency at speeds between 30-40 mph. Obviously it is often impractical to drive that slowly, but know that wind resistance increases exponentially with a linear increase in speed. In a Prius, the difference between driving 55mph and 75mph on a warm day is 17 mpg. That's almost 1 mpg for every mph over 55. Vehicles that get lower fuel economy will see a proportionally smaller difference, but a difference never the less. One way to drive slower is to drive as slow as traffic will bear rather than as fast as traffic will permit. Another is to pick alternate routes with slower speed limits. Yes, you may need to leave for work five minutes earlier.

I have put together a six page document explaining all the factors affecting fuel economy and more tricks to maximize yours. If anyone is interested slip me a private note and I'll pass it along. It was written for Prius drivers, so some of it is Prius specific, but much of it will work with any car. A couple of years ago several of us who drive a Prius got fed up with all the false press out there claiming hybrids couldn't get the fuel economy listed on the Maroney sticker on the car, so we set out to set a record for how far we could go in a Prius on a single tank of gas, using all the tricks at our disposal. We went 1400 miles and got 110 mpg, back and forth on a 15 mile stretch of four lane with a dozen traffic lights on it. If you google '110 mpg' or 'prius marathon' you can read all about it. Our record has since been broken by a woman in Japan who took a couple of months to go through one tank of gas on her daily commute.

I know, many of you won't want to go to the trouble to change your driving style, but for those who are willing, you do have options. And even for those unwilling, at LEAST pump up your tires!

Dave
 lindy_3333
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2007 7:41:42 PM
This is urban legend .. look it up on the net. It wont work ..lol.. so you get gas the next day or the day before.. think about it.. they STILL get the gas and the companies STILL get their money!!

This keeps getting sent out.. but for different dates..

USE critical thinking here. I can't believe how many people fall for this crap ....
 DAVE632
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2007 11:10:14 PM
""Here on Vancouver Island Canada our gas prices are 1.185 per litre and there is 4 litres per your gallon...so all in all we pay $4.74 per gallon. I wish we could fill our tanks up at $30 or $40 dollars.""

Gas (reg) in the Toronto area is around $1.05 @ L so about $4.30 @ US gallon. Disgusting considering WE are now the biggest suppliers of gas TO the US market. WE ship oil to the US, they refine it and ship it back with a nice profit factored in.

We also ship various grains and veg proteins TO China for processing. They process it, add some poison and ship it back for pet food. Brilliant!!!

What our governments NEED to be doing is promoting solar panels on ALL new housing developments and start giving tax breaks to home owners who do their own PV panels or windmills. With the latest advancements in BATTERY technologies we now have the ability to run the majority of our short distance commuter and every day needs on battery power. If governments weren't making so damn much money on GAS TAXES then they'd realize that the oil/gas price RIP-OFFS that are happening every day are gonna kill the economy.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2007 7:47:02 AM
Speaking of urban legends...you cannot simply pour fryer grease in any diesel engine witthout modifications that you would have to have a mechanic make. It may run if mixed with regular diesel , for awhile. But the cost of injectors and pumps and whatever it tears up will outweigh any saved by using fryer grease.

This is more or less true, although with basic skills you may well be able to do the modifications yourself. A good source of information can be found here:

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_svo.html

SIGH...Checking tire pressure is a good idea for safety. but the oil companies are not gonna plunge into bankruptcy because our tires are all maintaned. The effects are so minimal that its not worth talking about. Maybe you should roll up your drivers window and that would save more than tire pressure.

OK, let's do some simple math. If whatever you drive gets 20mpg, and through increasing tire pressure plus driving a bit less aggressively you can bump that to 23 mpg, an entirely attainable goal, the amount of gas you'd save would equal the difference between paying $3 per gallon and $3.44 per gallon. If what you drive gets 15 mpg and you bump it up to 17 mpg, your savings would amount to the difference between $3 per gallon and $3.40. Maybe saving 40 cents per gallon isn't worth talking about for you, but isn't that about how much of an increase has inspired all this talk of a boycott? And remember, you're also making the tires last longer, saving you even more money.

Oh, and by the way, driving my prius in a manner that gets 60 mpg means that gas would have to reach $9 per gallon before I'd spend as much as someone driving something that gets 20 mpg spends at $3 per gallon. People who drive a Prius aggressively still get about 45 mpg, so gas would have to reach $6.75 per gallon before they'd spend as much per mile driven as a 20mpg car owner at $3 per gallon. And all that is before you make any changes in the total miles you drive, another useful strategy.

Rolling up your window at highway speeds does help, but not as much as increasing tire pressure from 32 psi to 48 psi. At speeds below 40 mph, you're better off to turn off the A/C and roll down the window. I roll my window down at low speeds, use the vents at higher speeds, until my shirt starts sticking to my back. Then I'll turn on the A/C.

The most important lesson to learn is that the mpg any given car gets is largely affected by how we drive them. It's a tool, and like any tool, how we use the tool is as important as having the right tool. The EPA recently modified their fuel efficiency ratings system for vehicles because 'nobody' was achieving the numbers on their stickers, when all one had to do to get those numbers was to drive like they do in their tests - moderately. Now they've dummied down their ratings because drivers couldn't be bothered to drive smarter.

To this date I have never seen or been asked to participate in a boycott, so how do you know if its gonna work??

How can a 'boycott' that doesn't decrease how much money you give to who you're boycotting work? Just switching from paying them tuesday to thursday or this week to next isn't really going to send much of a message, is it?

If you want to reduce the stranglehold oil companies have, it makes a lot more sense to start weaning ourselves from the oil drug habit. Few of us can go cold turkey, but we can sure get a good start by shrinking our daily dosage.

Dave
 daydreamingangel
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2007 7:47:30 AM
I'm in too!!! Way to go!! We all need to stick together!!!
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/29/2007 9:01:53 AM
Try reading this http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp

Boycotting for one day will not do a darn thing. It's just an urban legend and will not hurt the oil companies.
 kasylrehtaeh
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/29/2007 9:15:11 AM
I just bought gas today at the Rez it was still at $2.17 a gallon...
 phine_likker
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/29/2007 12:23:39 PM
Umm, not sure how a ONE-DAY "strike" will "change things" since the oil co's KNOW that you "NEED" gasoline, and will just fill-up with more the very next day..?

More efficacious ideas MIGHT be:

1 -move closer to your job rather than commute 100 + miles round-trip every day like so many do..

2- trade in the Hummer/Escalade/other huge gas hog for something a bit more fuel-efficient..

3- Car-pool with others

AND quit whining!

SO tired of all the people I have seen driving Escalades, ALONE, commuting 100 + miles every day round-trip, and THEN "whining" about "the high cost of gasoline"..
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 18
A Gas Strike On One Day Will Do Nothing!
Posted: 4/29/2007 2:19:22 PM
Casey..it's Exxon/Mobil...no E after the L.

Anyway as far as the boycott is concerned whether it's been done or not it will make absolutely no difference to their bottom line. Nothing, Nada...

Now...if we all spent 100K on a hydrogen car that might do it!
But until then the boycott is pointless.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2007 7:49:29 PM
Sheesh, so much to respond to.....

Patrol sgt, you've apparently missed every point I've made here. I've tried to explain why raising prices enough to get our attention and create minor hardship now will help avoid major hardship later. I'm VERY aware that there's hardship involved. Your logic is like refusing to get a shot of essential medicine because the injection might hurt a bit. All those people you mention who are impacted by the price of gas are exactly who I'm trying to help.

And I went into great detail explaining how everyone who drives can essentially knock 40 cents per gallon off the price of gas by using that much less gas. That ought to be as good as gas cards, shouldn't it? Actually better, because information can keep getting passed on. A gas card gets used up.

No, not every town has public transportation. The closest bus stop to my home is 14 miles away. But you can bet there will be a lot more public transportation options developed in the years to come as gas prices continue to rise. You folks do realize, I hope, that our gas prices TODAY are a lot lower than in all but a handful of other countries? And our public transportation options outside of major metropolitan areas are worse than a whole lot of less developed countries.

caseyp553, you apparently missed my point that in most parts of the country, ALL of the gas at ALL of the stations comes from the same refinery. If Exxon owns the refinery servicing your area, you can buy from any gas station you want and you're still buying Exxon gas. All you'll do by not buying at Exxon stations is put Exxon station operaters out of business.

rsx11s, I defer to your experience. I too thought using fryer oil was a pretty simple process, but did a quick google search to make sure and found the site I referenced. Your experience mimics other stories I've heard from people who have done the same as you. Is it true that Chinese restaurant oil tends to be preferred? The only downside of Diesel is that particulate pollution is still greater than with gasoline engines, particularly with the older models.

Hiking Maniac, I didn't say all the oil had been found. I did say that there were no more major oilfields to be discovered. This is based on reports from oil exploration experts. Certainly there are still undiscovered pockets out there, but nothing on the scale of the mid-east oil we've been enjoying the last few decades.

And I figured someone would toss out abiotic oil theory at some point in this thread. That's the term used to describe a long discredited theory by a russion geologist that oil is actually created continually and all of our tapped out wells will magically replenish themselves. In terms of credibility, it ranks right up there with those who say we never went to the moon, no plane hit the pentagon, the holocaust never happened, etc..., but if you want to believe there's an unlimited supply, that's certainly your right. You might want to do a bit more research though.

And it's true that ethanol from corn takes a fair amount of energy to produce. Whether it takes more than you get back from the ethanol depends on whose numbers you believe. Biodiesel has a far greater return for energy invested. But cellulosic ethanol production from other crops performs far better. Still, we don't grow enough vegetation on the planet to produce enough ethanol and biodiesel to completely replace all our fossil fuel current consumption. All ethanol and biodiesel do is buy us a little more time, stretch our oil supplies a little further, until we can transition to something else. Some people think it'll be hydrogen, but hydrogen is not a fuel so much as an energy transfer medium. It DEFINITELY takes more energy to isolate hydrogen than you'll ever get back. I'm betting pure electric vehicles will be the ticket, but only time will tell.

Sorry for the long post. Just trying to set the record straight.

Dave
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2007 10:44:44 PM
ur story keeps changin..

How so? I did concede the fryer oil diesel fuel issue to someone with extensive personal experience who trumped my quickie google search, but other than that I've stuck to my guns.

a one day strike may not be the answer, but it will get ppl thinkin and realize there are things the lil man can do BESIDES jumpin on the bus that doesnt run thru their town

Getting people thinking is my intention here. Yup, there are plenty of things people can do:

Ride a bike
Carpool
Move closer to work
Work at home
Combine errands into a single trip
Drive in a more fuel efficient manner.
Get a more fuel efficient vehicle
Buy locally produced products and food
Convince your employer to let you switch to four ten hour days rather than five eight hour days.
Vacation closer to home
And whatever else fits your circumstances, so long as you use LESS gas

judgin the problem from ur shoes..but remember this: u share this world with lots of other ppl from all different kinds of walks of life and financhal situations.

I certainly am viewing the problem from my own perspective, which includes promoting a viable strategy for all people from all walks of life. Too many here seem to only be viewing the problem from their own immediate personal inconvenience perspective, rather than looking at the bigger picture.

Change is coming. We can stick our heads in the sand and try to clutch close the cheap gas that led us to our present circumstances, or we can start understanding that those days are gone and it's time to start making whatever changes we can to adapt to ever higher gas prices.

I'm not alone here. Others have posted recognizing that the only viable strategy is to use less gas, that anything else just won't work.

And the problem is that all of us from all those walks of life are collectively using MORE gas each year. So I'll close with a piece I found a few years ago the first time I responded to one of these May 15th strike calls:

The Doubling Effect
…….Evan Nering

When I discussed the exponential function in the first-semester calculus classes I taught, I had no trouble finding real-world examples. The best example of an exponential function is nonrenewable natural resources. Suppose, I said to my students, we have a supply of a resource, say oil, which at our current rate of use will last 100 years. But suppose that rate grows by 5 percent each year. How long would it last in this case? About 36 years.

Perhaps we underestimated our supply of oil. Suppose we have a 1000 year supply, if used at a constant rate. At the annual 5 percent growth rate how long will it last? 79 years.

Maybe we’re really lucky and we find enough oil to last 10,000 years, at a constant rate of use. How much time does that expanded supply buy us, if our use grows at 5 percent? 124 years – not 100 times as long, but only about 3.5 times.

The real-world moral of this simple mathematics lesson is that we will not solve our need for oil by expanding supplies. If use is allowed to grow steadily, doubling the supply does not buy us as much time as reducing the growth rate of consumption by half.

Doubling the size of the oil reserve will add only 12 years to the life expectancy of the supply, if we continue to use oil at the same expanding rate. But halving the rate of growth of consumption will almost double the life expectancy of the oil supply, no matter how much oil there turns out to be.

Mathematical logic and the physical fact that ours is a finite world are enough to show that those who dismiss conservation as a solution to our energy crisis and instead promote expanding supplies have it precisely backwards. Indeed, drilling in our wild lands and boosting pumping in the Middle East are precisely the wrong things to do because they encourage more use. Even driving more efficient cars is no solution if we drive more.

The only way to avoid crisis is to reduce growth in energy consumption to zero, or even to reduce our consumption.

Evar Nering is professor emeritus of mathematics at Arizona State University and lives in Scottsdale, Arizona.

2findU
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2007 5:39:17 AM
That is an old hoax that goes around the e-mails every year. I'm surprised I didn't get one this year. It always seems to work out that I never needed to gas up on that day anyway. Plus I don't think it stops people from gassing up their vehicles. It never happens.
 call me J
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/30/2007 10:02:44 AM
North Americans need to realize that it's not all about us. 5% of the population is using 25% of the fuel here. Look around the world and see the gas prices. The only places with cheaper fuel are countries rich in oil that are able to process it for themselves. Look at prices in Europe. Many places are paying over $6 per gallon. Why do we feel we deserve cheaper gas than the other countries who also don't produce enough themselves?

The simple problem is that the USA peaked in 1970 and production has continued a decline. Sweet crude, easy to get and high in energy is less and less available, leaving only heavy and sour oils as options, with lower return rates and higher output to get and process. Worldwide peak is looking more and more like it has actually happened, in 2006. If that truly is the case, there is far far worse to come.

I don't think most people understand the ramifications of this. Those old enough to remember the oil crisis in the states a few decades ago will understand a bit, but that is just a small taste of what is very likely to come, and a lot sooner than most people understand.
 Willlllllllll
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/30/2007 10:27:51 AM
What a stupid idea............ so you will buy your gas the day before...or several days after...............but if you drive........you will buy your gas.........and if you wait a couple of days maybe for more !!!!!!!!

William
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2007 11:57:29 AM
patrol sgt, you're right in one sense: we do perceive the world very differently.

You seem to think if you squawk loud enough the right way to the right people the price of gas will go down and you can have everything the way it used to be. I say that won't work. Everything else we've differed on is based on us starting from two completely different base premises. If you're right, then sure: have a one day boycott and sure enough, the next day gas prices will magically drop below $2 per gallon, never to rise again, and you can drive happily ever after.

If I'm right, and gas prices continue to rise no matter who screams what to whom, then the rest of my suggestions start to make sense. Not only that, they're just the first and least drastic steps people everywhere will be forced to take as transportation costs start taking a bigger chunk out of their income. As always, the most severely impacted will be those with the least assets and income.

You persist in interpreting my thoughts as uncaring and insensitive to those with limited options. I don't know how many ways or times I can tell you that I say what I say to give those very people a heads up so they can start doing whatever they can do to prepare, change their level of dependence on gas and buy everyone valuable time as new transportation options are developed. Providing those same people with false hope that shell games like not buying gas one day instead of another or from one brand rather than another will make a whit of difference is far more insensitive and uncaring to their future prospects than actually facing the reality of a world soon to have more demand than supply of oil.

Nah, I'd make a lousy politician, because I neither think, write, nor speak in sound bites. Life isn't simple and simple-minded solutions rarely work, tempting as they may be. And I'm no more a genius than any of the other names you've called me so far. I just try to gather all the best information I can find and come up with the best possible strategies based on the cards we've dealt ourselves. Hopefully enough others will do the same to make our very imperfect world the best it can be.

Dave
 wildone21
Msg: 25
Posted: 4/30/2007 12:03:13 PM
Thank you for daring to speak the truth-it needs to be said.
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > There is a GAS STRIKE ON MAY 15