Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Linux Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04 .... anyone ??      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Wrenchspinner
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Linux Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04 .... anyone ??Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I just loaded up the latest iteration of Ubuntu on the ol data box and was curious if anyone here had tried it out yet. If so I'd like to get some impressions on it.

So far I've found no issues, but then again a cuppla hours runtime is hardly enough to stir up any good bugs

Kim
 zombies are chasing me
Msg: 2
Linux Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04 .... anyone ??
Posted: 4/28/2007 9:48:33 PM
i downloaded it but i haven't burned it yet. i loved the last release and the recent betas/alphas :)

when i finally try it out first thing ima try is beryl :)
 Wrenchspinner
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2007 10:43:17 PM
Yeah Beryl looks awfully tempting but I think I'm gonna hold off on tryin it till I get my new core duo system built. I think I've about finally run my lil 1gig Athalon machine to the end of its functionality & I've started lookin for parts for a new data box.

All I've done in 7.04 so far is surf a bit & explore around in the synaptic pkgs mgr. I picked up a few programs like amarok and k3b that didn come in the DL'd software & installed 'em. I've yet to get too deep into what's there but will dig a bit deeper in the next few days.

While my daughter is gone for the weekend I installed it onto her 'puter as a surprise too. We're a happy Linux household :>)

Kim
 zombies are chasing me
Msg: 4
Posted: 4/29/2007 8:01:49 AM
haha nice :p

btw check out the p5n32-e sli plus and the e4300 the e4300 has a nice high multiplier its basically a 2mb e6600 without virtualization tech (accelerates things like vm-ware supposedly i believe) pop it in set the fsb to 1066 0r 1333 and you have a 2.4ghz or 3.0ghz proc :) (respectively)
 yayawhatever
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2007 12:39:31 PM
I had trouble with 6.10 recognizing my Nvidia video drivers but 7.04 installed them automatically.

The only problems I've had with it are flash player installation and strange resolution changes. I have tried everything and I can't get flash to install. Also when I log out the log-out screen is HUGE whereas all the other screens are normal.
 Wrenchspinner
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2007 4:30:49 AM
One issue I had with the installation of 7.04 was in DL/burning the installation CD. I burned 2 coasters outta 3 CDs and finally slowed the burner down to its slowest speed (X8) to get it to make a good one to install from.

One issue I found in Firefox 2.0 is a log in problem with a site I visit pretty regularly. Though I can log in it takes some finagling to get it done !

I found a few nifty new plug ins for 2.0 though which are pretty sweet. There's even one for folks on slow connections to selectively delete banners/ads and other such stuff from loading when accessing a site which would be a big help to sites folks on dial up visit frequently ;>) Another plug in that's pretty cool is one that opens a new tab for downloads instead of having to click on tools->dowloads to inspect the progress of your DLs.

I've tried to set up amarok, a particularly sweet music player, but have yet to get it workin correctly. I loaded up my files but am getting an error saying amarok has no installed support for mp3s, which in itself seems pretty bizarre for a music player! Then when I try to engage the mp3 read capabilities it just freezes up and sits there :>( My thoughts are that amarok may just be too much for my current machine since I had similar issues when tryin to run it in 6.06 & eventually just went back to using XMMS, which works seamlessly, just without all the nifty bells and whistles amarok has.

Having loaded it (7.04) onto a clean drive and making a dual boot system outta my machine I figure I can play with it when I feel like it and if it dudn work out satisfactorily, I'll just Fdisk it and go back to runnin 6.06, so no harm no foul :>)

Kim
 Wrenchspinner
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2007 8:02:18 PM
Well, with a little time diggin around in the new OS now I must say I do indeed like it better ! I got all the audio video sorted out by just selecting some better versions in the synaptic pkgs mgr., so that was pretty easy :>)

Today I've been DLing a variety of programs to add in some additional system functionality and I must say, it all just seems to work pretty well outta the box ! This is a real plus for a non-geek like myself !!!

I have a new bad boy MB, 2.2gig core duo CPU, power supply, and 2 gigs of DDR2 memory sittin here awaiting a new grapics card before I begin gutting my Cooler Master cases old hardware to install all the new toys. With the new hardware I'm gonna see about how Beryl works out on it. From the looks of things it seems somewhat similar to the Aero desktop on Vista but supposedly much less memory hungry, so I think I'll give it a whirl.

I scrammed my old plans of tryin to use some really old machines I had to set up a media player box and just picked up a newer used machine & already have 7.04 loaded up on it too. The plan is to replace my Tv, DVD player, stereo receiver and 5' tall speaker banks with the new (used) machine which has a DVDR in it, install a Tv tuner card, an old 36" Gateway monitor I have and then use my Klipsche surround sound computer speakers to output the audio

I had a Windows user buddy of mine over the other night and with his system very close spec wise to my own (1000mhz Thunderbird/1gig DDR ram) he was amazed at the differences between the operating speeds comparatively. so .... I sent him home with a shiny new CD of Ubuntu 7.04 to run "live" on his machine and try it out before deciding if he wanted to set it up as a dual boot system.

Yep, all in all, me and ol Tux are gettin on pretty well these days
 Ticketoride
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/13/2007 5:45:11 PM
Win98SE, XP installed to another Partition, in a MS Dual-boot config ... will an UBUNTU install mess it up? Will the MS Boot Manager be replaced by UBUNTU's?
 yayawhatever
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2007 7:12:55 PM
I installed Feisty Fawn and the partition manager is fairly straight forward. Ubuntu does appear to take over as far as booting up goes. Upon reading more about dual boots it seems GAG might be recommended if you want more control of boot options.
 Ugly_Duckling
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/13/2007 7:25:20 PM
I installed xubuntu on my new laptop a couple of days ago, I have not met any problem yet, I think this is a great release!
 Ugly_Duckling
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/13/2007 10:49:05 PM
If you want to activate the root account all you have to do is sudo su - and then type passwd to set the root password. I use screen (http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/) instead having many open terminals.
 rsx11s
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/15/2007 10:50:32 AM
There's a review this morning from an admitted clueless newb who tried Linux a few years ago and pronounced it unusable. Now, says she, it's rready for prime time.

MS it showing strain. People are not flocking to (spit) Vista and (retch) Office 2007 in droves and the xbox continues to bleed money. MS is now going after the open source people to try to license their patents in what I see as a recapitulation of the SCO debacle.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/233123/migrating_to_ubuntu_linux_from_microsoft.html

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/MICROSOFT_OPEN_SOURCE?SITE=AZMES&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
 Ugly_Duckling
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/15/2007 3:45:34 PM
Here is the answer about M$'s patent claims from Linus Torvalds:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199600443
 Wrenchspinner
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2007 5:51:05 AM
As one of the down sides to an OS that allows you to play with it .... I managed to totally screw up my main users permissions and accidently handed everything over to "root" on my 7.04 OS :>( Being one scared to death of terminal escapades and unsure how to proceed in correcting it there anyway, I simply loaded up an older version (6.06) and carried on .... Hi Ho :>)

I'm finishing up a long over due revamping of my 5yr old machine today with a new MoBo, bad boy core duo processor, video card, 2gigs of fresh DDR2 ram and a power supply all going back into my old case. I'm curious about what kind of conflagrations I'll find once I get the new box fired up but was assured by my software engineer buddy who made up my parts list for the new system that all the components are Linux friendly ,so I'm hopeful it will be relatively easy.

Todays communiques are coming through another machine I picked up to use as a home entertainment center box while "in process" with my main machines rebuild.

Wish me luck !

Kim
 Wrenchspinner
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2007 10:28:27 AM
Actually I had loaded 7.04 onto a clean (slave) HD with a dual boot to my other HD with all my files on it, so there's no real loss of data with this screw up ..... thankfully :>) When I get the new revamped box fired up later today the plan is to make a fresh installation of 7.04 onto the slave drive and start over again with it. This means I'll only loose the additional (7.04) apps I had loaded onto the slave drive, but all in all that's no biggee.

If I had cratered my main HD (and OS that's on it), that would have been bad !!!! With all that in mind I think I'm definitely gonna hafta do some backing up to DVD discs once I get everything up and runnin again. The thought of loosin the hundred or so gigs of data, pics and such is a frightening possibility.

I'm down to the final last few connections on the MoBo for the new system and hope to have it up and runnin in short order !!!! I'll be very glad to be back on my main machine again (definitely anticipating some seriously improved system speed with the new goodies!) and set this HP box aside again for the time being :>)

Kim
 Ugly_Duckling
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/20/2007 7:23:51 PM

Only wimps use tape backup: real men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it

--Linus Torvalds

Wrenchspinner
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2007 4:58:47 AM
Hahaha ..... if I ULed my data to the web I'd have the RIAA comin after me like a MoFo, a cuppla EXs after me with guns and surely several more groups/individuals hot on my trail

I think backin it all up sounds a bit, well ..... safer !

Sorrowfully yesterdee when I finally got it all put together it won't hook up to the web !! For some reason it isn't connecting through either 10/100/1000 MoBo or 10/100 network card ethernet connection :>(

So .... anyone have any ideas on what I can try to get it to connect ? I've dug through all the BIOS settings, reset the network eth0 settings and still no avail. I know the ethernet connection itself is good since I'm using the same cable and modem to get on the web using my back up system.

Kim
 Wrenchspinner
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2007 8:27:54 PM
"when you do a sudo ifup eth0 in a terminal window what msgs does it give you?"

The output was :interface eth0 already configured

Seems strange that it won't do anything WITH that connection :>) Ideas are certainly welcomed !!!

Kim
 Wrenchspinner
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2007 9:32:59 PM
Ok, I finally found the fly in the ointment with my hook up ! I had loaded the new OS (7.04) onto my slave drive and that seemed to be the issue in gettin online, HOOORRAY !

I removed both drives, changed the jumper settings on both of them, reinstalled them in swapped positions, hooked 'em up, rebooted and again made a fresh installation onto my new master drive & voila I'm rockin the Kazbah with maximum speed !!

Now all I hafta do is load up all the other lil bits and pieces I want and it's off to the races :>)

Kim
 sd_matt
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/24/2007 4:18:29 AM
Does anyone here know how to use Beryl? I can open the manager but no matter how may buttons I push I dont get anywhere.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Linux Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04 .... anyone ??