Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Old Fashioned Homemade Candy      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 4
Old Fashioned Homemade CandyPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
breeze...on the back of old dutch corn twists...those puffed up thingies resembling puffed corn...there is a very good recipe for making caramel corn...similar to the one posted but more cream i think and a touch of baking soda...i will dig it out for you...i have it written down somewhere...i throw in walnut pieces and almond slivers when i make caramel popcorn
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 8
Old Fashioned Homemade Candy
Posted: 5/2/2007 7:08:53 PM
sweetness...obviously you have tried that caramel corn?...it is excellent...throw in a handful of chopped walnuts and/or some toasted almond slivers
 Whitetigeress
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/3/2007 7:45:25 PM
my son's recipe

broil pancake syrup in a pan with bit o' butter til candy stage (test in glass of water)
pour onto baking pan to freeze

he calls it frozen delight

i personally add vanilla and pour over popcorn with chopped pecans for instant caramel popcorn
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/3/2007 9:09:03 AM
krystyl...i have a pan of that candy cooling as we speak...i doubled it tho cuz i'm such a little piggie...
i lined the bottom of a 9x9 cake pan with parchment paper...put down a layer of shredded sweetened coconut...poured the mixture in...(i added chopped walnuts and about 2 tbsp fryes cocoa powder to it)...then sprinkled the top with more coconut...if it solidifies...which i'm sure it will...this will rock!...i was lookin for mini marshmallows to add but i couldnt find any ...so...meh...
i got to lick out the pot after i was done...mmmmmmmmm
thanks...(if it doesnt turn out for some reason tho...i shall release the hounds...)
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/3/2007 2:07:28 PM
ok...the jury is in...
i had 3 pieces...*BURP*...this one is quite acceptable...needs to be kept refrigerated tho...(if it lasts long enough to even get cold)...
i guess i can put the hounds away...
 LanSir
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2007 3:15:53 PM
Caramel Candy

Ingredients
1 pound brown sugar
few grains salt
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1 tablespoon butter
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup chopped nuts, if desired
Method
Mix sugar, salt, syrup, butter and milk thoroughly. Cook over medium heat to soft ball stage 237° F, stirring constantly. Cool.
Stir in vanilla and nuts. Beat until crystalline. Turn into buttered pan.
Mark in squares.
 LanSir
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2007 3:16:48 PM
14 Minute Maple Candy
4 c Maple syrup
1 c Cream
1/4 c Butter
1 c Nut meats, chopped
1 ts Lemon extract
Cook the maple syrup, cream and butte for 9 minutes after the boiling point is reached. Remove from heat, add the nut meats and extract and stir for 5 minutes. Pour into buttered pans . When cool, cut into squares.
 LanSir
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2007 3:24:33 PM
Lollipops
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup water
2 cup sugar
1 flavoring
1 coloring
1 lollipop sticks
DIRECTIONS:
Lollipops are best made on the day you wish to serve them. Place corn syrup, water and sugar in small saucepan, stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Brush sides of pan with a wet pastry brush to dissolve sugar crystals. Increase heat, cook until syrup reaches 150 degrees C when tested with a sweets thermometer or until syrup reaches hard crack stage. Remove from heat, add a little flavouring and colouring to syrup, stir through. Pour spoonfuls of mixture in desired shapes onto foil-covered trays. Press a lollipop stick into each shape; allow lollipops to cool at room temperature.
Makes about 10.
Flavouring & Colouring Suggestions: For one batch of syrup add 1/2 teaspoon of raspberry, orange, lime or lemon flavouring and 1/2 teaspoon of red, orange, green, or yellow colouring. Mixture can also be divided and flavoured and coloured, as desired, to create multicolored lollipops.

English Toffee
INGREDIENTS:
2 cup sugar
1 cup butter
2 tablespoon vinegar
1/4 cup safeway gourmet golden syrup (or similar substitute)
1/4 cup water
DIRECTIONS:
Combine all ingredients in large saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring until all dissolved, then boil without stirring until the mixture is dark golden. Test by spooning a few drops into a cup of cold water. The toffee is done when it hardens at once into a crisp ball. Take off heat and pour into a flat oiled pan to make a layer about 1/2 inch thick. When toffee is tepid, score into squares, and when cool break with a hammer and store in an airtight container.
Makes about 1.5 pounds.

Let me know if you want to make chocolate truffles as well.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2018 4:59:23 PM
... the following is my daughter-in-law's favorite "candy" ...

Candied Pecans ...

ingredients

1 cup sugar
1 egg white
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. water
1 tsp. salt (or less)
1 lb. pecan halves

method

preheat oven to 250° ... mix the sugar, cinnamon and salt together in a bowl ... in a separate bowl, whisk the egg white and water together until frothy ... toss the pecans in the egg white mixture ... mix the sugar mixture into the pecan mixture until the pecans are evenly coated ... spread onto a baking sheet ... bake, stirring every 15 min. until the pecans are evenly browned, about an hour ... after an hour of baking, they weren’t quite toasty enough so I lowered the temperature to 150° for another 30-40 min. ... and they were perfect!
 NewYorker58
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2018 1:27:35 AM
I originally bought these in Coney Island in a store that makes fresh candy.

Roll marshmallows in melted caramel, then roll in cashews. They're incredibly good.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Old Fashioned Homemade Candy