Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What do you think about getting flowers from your better half?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 soleille29
Msg: 1
What do you think about getting flowers from your better half?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Does men give flowers just because, or because they screwed up very bad?
I gave my {ex}husband flowers just because ...and he taugh I got them for me because he never get me flowers.
I think that men deserves flowers as much that women.What is your opinion and what kind of flowers you like the most?

MAPT
Msg: 2
What do you think about getting flowers from your better half?
Posted: 5/9/2007 8:41:33 AM

What is your opinion and what kind of flowers you like the most?

I think it's a great idea OP..and some time ladies we do deserve some recognition. My fav type of flowers?? Well the ones attached to a case of beer of course

JMHO
MAPT
 junipermoon
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2007 8:44:52 AM

Well the ones attached to a case of beer of course

one bouquet of hops, coming right up!
 prettypicky
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/9/2007 8:46:02 AM
It's a cliche, but when my ex-husband used to give me flowers I would think "okay, what did you do now?" (Because he seriously only gave me flowers when he had done something.)

But, I definitely do not let that colour my experiences in dating now. I love to get flowers and when a man presents them I think it shows grace, class and good intentions.

As for giving a guy flowers, it would depend on what a guy's specific interests are--if he's into gardening and appreciates them, then I definitely would. However, if he really, really, really, would be more excited about the latest and greatest screw driver, then I would give him that instead. I think the art in gift giving is showing the other person how well you know them and care about their wants and needs by giving them something that they would enjoy.
 loyal T
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/9/2007 8:47:22 AM
Sometimes someone can give them as a gesture to suck up for something. Other times it seems they are given as a gift like on Valentine's day traditionally. I personally feel it is a mixed feeling to get cut ones. They wilt and die off fast. I feel it is not customary to give men flowers but a plant could be nice from a female friend or co worker for some occassion. I would say that flowers are not a necessary item to give or receive. It is just something fleeting as they don't last anyway. Nice to look at but not nice to hang on to later on unless they are artificial. I told my bf that I do NOT care for cut flowers, glad that came up as he said he would have given me some initially. That is always awkward to get as the thought in it is nice but then I just have to throw them out when they wilt and turn brown and start to have the petals fall off or dry up. Plants last longer typically and some of those can sprout flowers periodically as well. Only exception with flowers may be to have bulbed ones that resurface yearly then. But who gives someone bulbs? I find tulips look best in those but they are brief bloomers. Some color variety though at least.
 Fran47
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/9/2007 9:12:03 AM
I love getting flowers. Roses are awesome....but Carnations are my favorite
I tried once (in my previous marriage) and bought my husband beautiful roses just to say "I love you". Wow....was that ever a mistake. He hit the ceiling. Lets just say..... I never did that again.
 Rustmouse
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/9/2007 9:20:06 AM
Men give flowers for various reasons, depends on the guy. Some guys are the 'bring home flowers every Friday just because' types. Some, like me, are 'I'd rather spend the same money on something that will be around longer than a week' types.

Most are right in the middle.

As for buying flowers for a guy? Yeah, you're better off giving the proverbial 'bouquet of hops' than flowers. Most of us don't appreciate it, and have no use for them, and some would be like your ex, figuring that it was a gift with an ulterior motive (equivalent to a guy buying you a new plasma TV, it's a gift to himself)

If you want to do something nice, but useless for a guy, instead of flowers, try spending the money on a good bottle of scotch (50 bucks buys some really good single malts), it's also a perishable item, but more guy like...
 migivadamsbusted
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/9/2007 9:20:31 AM
I love getting flowers! I give him cards instead fo flowers...
 jessikaowl
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/9/2007 9:22:21 AM
flowers are great when they are for no reason at all!!!

I like orchids and roses (fire & ice or yellow)
 Bikeman_
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/9/2007 9:28:18 AM
I'd rather receive a gift from my better half that is equally as thoughtful and WAY more practical. Just my opinion. I'd appreciate the thought, but flowers are just fluff. DVDs, there's something that's just as thoughtful and will last 10x longer than flowers.
 Karen80sgirl
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/9/2007 9:30:14 AM
I love getting flowers, my boyfriend (whom I met on POF!) gets me flowers all the time. Very rarely will you come to my house and not see fresh flowers somewhere...he is very thoughtful and very much a gentleman...I think its great!!
 EnElSol
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/9/2007 9:31:38 AM
I don't think there is anything wrong with getting flowers for your guy. Albeit, that would be something new for most of us ! I like getting flowers, though not too often for my lady, just because. After all if I care that much or her, whats a few bucks for a dozen roses, carnations or lilacs.

As far as what I would like as a guy receiving flowers?.. Orchids are great! They work out nicely if you have a cubicle/office at work adding decoration, color, and usually a nice scent.
 Sigi
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/9/2007 9:36:42 AM
I'm not such a 'flower' girl. But some roses...once in a while...no problem!
 gtadaizee
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/9/2007 11:16:42 AM
At various times of my life I have gotten flowers . In fact my original nickname daizy came from the fact that just about every week, I got a boquet or plant of daizees, he just thought of me as a daizy (during our relationship)! All the flowers I have ever gotten have been touching and I wouldn't hurt anyones feelings BUT I don't have a sense of smell so I can't enjoy their scent and they do die and I am allergic to perfumes so it puts me in an awkward place. The thought means so much but a great plant would be appreciated more.

Now any fellow who goes and picks a bouquet of fresh field or park flowers would get my heart. Because he put himself in the equation.

I'd like to ask a question within this thread, if I may? What do you think about a fellow bringing a long stem red rose to the initial meet? (We'd only chatted briefly prior to meeting). (I always make my initial meets brief and open). I know that that fellow's heart was in the right place and he was a gentleman but I found it awkward, sorta like too much too soon.

I suppose because I don't have a sense of smell that I miss a major part of getting flowers BUT a plant would be welcome. Flowers are expensive and die. Even most hospitals now in Canada discourage flowers because of the space they take and the care of plus the allergy factor. They do approve of plants tho.

To answer the OP I would give a bouquet of fresh flowers IF I knew that person was into them otherwise the gift would be something that I know the person would appreciate. So I guess it is all about knowing your partner or mates likes.
 Kesstra
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2007 11:24:50 AM
I LOVE getting flowers. I can't imagine ever getting tired of it. When I was married my ex would go hunting and sometimes when he came back I got a bouquet of wildflowers with some pretty weeds stuck in there. It was precious.
 looking-downunder
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/9/2007 11:28:13 AM
Getting flowers "just because" is the best. I too will give flowers or other little tokens of my appreciation to my boy friend (when I have one). I think a little thing like bringing someone a cup of coffee on a whim can be nice as well.
 CaughtUPeekin
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/9/2007 11:34:09 AM
People need to stop overthinking everything and just do what *feels* right ....
 Harry Peter
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/9/2007 11:51:27 AM
Flowers = Achoo.
 Algy
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/9/2007 11:52:31 AM
Orchids and Dandelions.
 charliemcsd
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2007 11:56:44 AM

Does men give flowers just because, or because they screwed up very bad?
.......I think that men deserves flowers as much that women.What is your opinion and what kind of flowers you like the most?

This reminds me of the new commercial that is out on the radio, I think it is a Singular Cellular phone commercial.
This woman receives flowers from her boyfriend... her friends are there and question if he did something wrong... the woman, goes, OH NO... starts analyzing the situation, then goes into a melt down.

I like getting flowers from women that I date, and like bringing them flowers when I go to their house.
 StarlightWhisper
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2007 11:59:39 AM
I love getting flowers - I love getting flowers - I love getting flowers - all kinds - but mainly Wal-mart flowers and then I know he was thinking of me and I don't have the guilt of him spending big bucks - and they are just as pretty and last just as long - I love to put them on the dining room table, my bed side table, the bathroom - anywhere they can be enjoyed. My favorites are gardenias, roses and sweet peas - my dad's nickname for me. The guy I date has never sent real ones but sometimes attaches them with E-mails and they thrill me just as much - makes me feel like a girl.
 no princess
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/9/2007 12:03:37 PM
What woman doesn't like to receive flowers? Men, well that's another storey. My ex-husband brought me home a red rose every week when we were married - 6 years. He always went to the same flower shop and the girls there thought he was the most romantic man alive. I like flowers just as much as the next gal but if you're buying them because you think you are in trouble - don't bother - notice I said ex? He had a hidden prescription problem he felt guilty about.

Men are not usually the flower receiving type. Case of beer, good brandy/cigar, Nascar tickets, new pool cue, trailer for the lawn tractor, golf balls, now those are all manly and well received gifts. Lets get creative girls.
 shoree
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/9/2007 12:35:42 PM
I've given men flowers. I think it's nice! Flowers symbolize life and beauty!

I also love getting flowers. They make me happy every time.

Although I've occasionally gotten the "Sorry I Did Something Wrong" bouquet and well....that certainly leaves a different taste in one's mouth doesn't it?
 angelaisthecoolest
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2007 12:43:25 PM
I've never received flowers, but I would feel guilty because they're expensive and it's silly to spend that much money on something that will be dead in a week.

lucky13
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/9/2007 1:20:17 PM
Here's an unusual flower story...About a year ago I was chatting back and forth with a women from match.com. We had sent each other emails back and forth for a couple of weeks and were planning a meeting the following week. I didn't want to seem to forward and ask for this women’s address before we met but I wanted to send her flowers as a surprise. I did however know the crossroads where she lived so I looked to see if there was a florist in the vicinity. Turned out there was a florist just a few blocks from her crossroads. I called the florist and ordered two dozen roses and gave them just her screen name and paid for them with a credit card and said the person with the screen name would swing by and pick then up. I sent an email to the girl from match and told her there was a package waiting for her at the florist and all she had to do was stop in and give her screen name. She did and she thought it was very romantic.
We met for dinner the following week and the date didn't go well. Turned out we really didn't have anything in common even though we had chatted in emails for weeks. I had built her up to be someone she wasn't and for all I know she thought the same thing about me.
Ever since that time I don't send flowers to women I've never met and when I do meet them I go in with low expectations so I don't let myself down. I don't meet for dinner for a first date anymore and only will meet for coffee, which I already knew, was the way to go...I just didn't read the forums then!
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > What do you think about getting flowers from your better half?