Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Positive correlation between IQ and profile length?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 AppleGeek
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Positive correlation between IQ and profile length?Page 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
To bad theres no correlation between your post and science.

That are the observations you've based your hypothesis upon?
 GreenEyesAndHam
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Positive correlation between IQ and profile length?
Posted: 5/12/2007 4:59:55 PM
Typically, writing that's longer than average means that someone is a poor editor, not that they have that much to say.

I am sorry for the length of my letter, but I had not the time to write a short one.
- Blaise Pascal*

GE&H
* attributed to others as well
 AppleGeek
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2007 5:16:35 PM
Ooh excelent a literary reference. How about a unscientific poll with a small non-randomized sample? Just take the number of words in your profile and divide it by your IQ. That way we have some useless data to draw concusions from.
 vichycycl
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/12/2007 6:44:15 PM
I believe there's a correlation between profile length and the type of person who wants to link up with other people by exhibiting their personalities in words. Lots of blathering could indicate self-absorption, but lots of information and say some policies may indicate someone who wants to meet like-minded people. That's about it though. 'Quantity is not quality', I agree.
 1classygal
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/13/2007 11:07:28 AM
Profile length is a matter of personal preference.
The quality of the profile is a better indication of someones IQ.
They can either have a lot to say, lots of hobbies/interests or they may be to trying to sway you, baffle you, with their bull which suggests insecurities.
I prefer shorter profiles and reading what they post in the forums.
 UrbanX
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/14/2007 10:33:30 AM
Well, I'd say there might be a correlation between deep stupidity and very short profiles. That said, there's a correlation between being that stupid and not being able to turn on a computer so the actual profiles won't necessarily reflect this.

I'd also say there might be a correlation between one type of intelligence, linguistic, and well-written, 2-4 short paragraph profiles. This would be a hunch, not a study though.

I think there would be be weaker correlations for women than men, based on threads on the subject. Women will get inordinate amounts of positive feedback just for having a profile. Men will tend to get feedback that sounds more like wind whistling across a desert.

And there are guys that are very smart that play a very basic game; say as little as possible in order to allow women to project as much as possible onto them.

Cheers,
Mike (obviously I'm not that smart)
 Jonathan85
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/14/2007 12:33:43 PM
Actually there is no strong correlation between IQ and profession. The weak correlation only shows when you divide professions up by "complexity."

Correlation on the -1 to 1 scale (to have a strong positive correlation you need about 0.7+)
High Complexity: .58
Moderately high: .56
Intermediate: .51
Moderately low: .40
Low: .23
(Briefer version Psychology: Themes and Variations, 7th Ed. page 255)

Now that doesn't reflect salary or importance, just complexity.

Personally, I would rather view the length on any given topic. For instance, there are some profiles that don't tell much but use up hundreds of words to say practically nothing. If someone has five or six distinct messages in their profile (describe themselves, describe their background, goals, etc), those each take space.

-GG
 rockondon
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2007 5:38:49 PM
intelligence enables one to put the most meaning in the fewest words.
Those who know the least often talk the most.
 nipoleon
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2007 2:40:24 AM
You will notice that all the postings here have been very brief.
 glokazun
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2007 10:53:48 AM
this is a funny topic
thats my 2 sense
i no u wanted it
 laughing lady
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2007 4:57:58 PM
Proflies with spelling errors are not inticative of low IQ. you can have a very high intellgence but also have dyslexia and therefore unable to spell. Also most intelligent people are interested in many things , which if listed makes the profile too long winded.
 MrGuyCaballero
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/17/2007 10:55:22 AM
I don't know if there's a correlation or not but I'd bet it's not strong enough to be used to predict IQ with much precision. There is also the problem that people change their profiles. I, and I'm sure others, have had both long and short ones and will probably go back and forth between the two many times.
 rsx11s
Msg: 26
Posted: 5/17/2007 2:49:43 PM
I just read a peer reviewed article on the journal _Nature_ that showed a positive correlation between profile size and penis length.
 engineeringemo
Msg: 29
Posted: 5/17/2007 10:03:56 PM
Every writing course I've ever taken says the same thing: People don't read lots. You've only got a little bit of space to actually say something, to actually hook a person, you should use it well.

The most intelligent people I know say what has to be said in a tiny little space. The least intelligent people I know can write (usually without paragraphs) for ages.
 rockondon
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 5/18/2007 4:39:15 PM
I would almost think it is an inverse correlation between IQ and long profiles. When one is unable to produce quality, they often try to make up for it with quantity.

There's a million fish in this sea so you better get the reader's attention quickly. The one who is reading your profile is likely assailed by forces competing for their attention and excessive wordiness can make your profile lose the battle.
 wanderer1999
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 5/19/2007 8:11:07 AM
I wouldn't say there's a correlation between profile length and intelligence. If there are correlations, I would say that it's between writing style/personality and length/verbosity.

Some people are just compositional extroverts. Just as there are people who speak in a torrential stream around the barbeque and others who barely utter a word, there are those who are always extremely expressive in print, and those who say very little. No different than those people who are more comfortable talking on a phone versus communicating through e-mails.

Is this an indicator of intelligence? I would say that it is more of an indication of a combination of education (liberal arts vs. science), creative predilictions (writing vs. mathematics vs. painting, etc), and personality (literally extroverted versus introverted).

As for the quality of the writing (in terms of grammar, punctuation, eloquence, etc), I tend to believe that it is primarily a function of education, though not in all cases as some individuals just have weak spelling skills, are learning English as a 2nd or even 3rd language, or studied coursework that had minimal emphasis on written essays and papers (like hard sciences/mathematics).

Now if a person is exceptionally eloquent, I would consider that some indication of intelligence, moreso in that there is a substantial correlation between size of vocabulary and verbal/written skills (a component of most standardized intelligence tests). The ability to master the written word as has been demonstrated by the masters is a talent not common to everyone, just as some individuals are mathematically gifted and others are not.
 TaiChiJohn
Msg: 35
Posted: 5/20/2007 6:46:32 PM
While it might be debatable as to whether or not a correlation could be established between profile length and intelligence, it may well be that longer profiles would tend to filter out responders who, for one reason or another, do not read very much (or very often).

Consider: are television shows more intelligent than commercials? Well... some would say that as much thought goes into a good commercial as goes into the average television show. Certainly, both can cost about the same amount of money to produce; but, ironically, it is the commercials which pay for the television shows (and the television shows which give the commercials the venue they require for their very existence). Neither are, necessarily, mutually exclusive; yet each is a different kind of thing than the other.

So: which has a greater value? Well, that depends upon the scale upon which they are being compared. It is possible to force both onto a scale which does not really establish valid criteria for a comparison; and it is possible to define a scale upon which both may be appropriately situated. One could ask, for instance: “Which requires the greater degree of concentration and focus to follow”?

Neither: the commercial free book wins out there, hands down. That being said, I think we might all agree that even in this case, it is most unwise to judge such a situation by a simple cover...
 natural energy
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2007 8:10:11 AM
I love your quotes GreenEyesAndHam and Stonestonque!

Adamthebribblie said:
Furthermore, psychology does not propose nor develop hypotheses. It cites and encourages opinions.

Then why all the labeling of people? These are not just opinions!

There are multiple intelligences ........

The traditional IQ testing does not encompass all these intelligences, so I personally do not hold high credence with IQ testing ....

To compare intelligences of people is very difficult .............. but, people still do it .......... what is it based on? knowledge of science? mathematics? psychology? marks in school? $ saved? assets and toys you possess? the way you speak? the way you write? ...................

........ so, how can we relate IQ ....... which many are interpreting to mean intelligence ..... to the length of a profile?

I agree with many posted here already ........... you can speak a lot of words ......... and never get to the point, or get your point across .......... this would make a great politician, wouldn't it? ............ and some of the long-winded profiles can be fraught with spelling/grammatical errors.......... a few errors are all right ......

Does this mean that a person who writes well has a high IQ? or high intelligence level?
My question to that is "which intelligence" of the multiple intelligences?
... and let's not forget the skills (or lack of ) of the politician ........ and should I dare to say the salesman?
 zombies are chasing me
Msg: 41
Posted: 5/29/2007 12:39:21 AM
@op

no, i don't think there is any obvious or significant link between overall intelligence and the length of someones profile.

edit: lol@above post
 keyman11
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2007 6:36:25 AM
I think being able to explain everything in short sentences is a sign of high IQ and confidence....writng too long shows your kind of weak and not confident about what your last sentence was... so they keep rewriting until everything seems to make sense and after they call in someone to verify the whole thing....
 subhacker
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2007 7:53:04 PM
A long profile simply means that the person is comfortable with the written medium. This should weakly correlate with intelligence but it is very weak. Confident idiots and insecure geniuses are neither one that rare.

I disagree, however, with the notion that intelligent people will write briefly because that's all they need to get their point across. Intelligent people are complex people. They have a lot to say.
 gizmosellschickens
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2007 11:39:57 PM
No, some of us suffer dylexia, or some form of processing disorder. IQ does not matter becuase its having soical skills, and emotional understanding of people help you get through this world.
 SlimJ82
Msg: 56
Posted: 6/26/2007 1:25:16 PM
Not really, some can write concise profiles and those are the smart ones. Some can write long profiles that don't seem to make sense, and that doesn't mean the person is smart of has a high IQ.
 typingsux
Msg: 57
Posted: 6/27/2007 12:03:28 PM
"Positive correlation" is kinda redundant, don't you think?
 subhacker
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2007 12:27:38 PM

"Positive correlation" is kinda redundant, don't you think?

Not really. A negative correlation would say that a longer profile correlates to lower intelligence.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Positive correlation between IQ and profile length?