Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Illiteracy decreases your chance of response!!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Luv2boutside
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Illiteracy decreases your chance of response!!Page 1 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
I have just read two profiles. One had 17 spelling mistakes, and that did not count the punctuation mistakes. The other had 22 spelling/punctuation mistakes. Nobody's perfect, and there is such a thing as a typo, but come on people! Do you really hope to attract the intelligent lady you claim to seek if you can't spell at a grade 3 level? It matters.
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 2
Illiteracy decreases your chance of response!!
Posted: 5/13/2007 4:06:47 AM
OP I am with you. Even though I bet statistics would most likely prove the fact that bad spellers, double negative users, prepositions at end of sentences and all the other grammatical errors , like this run on sentence lmao, would show women that are like that are more promiscuous; I would still choose to find a lady that has better grammar habits. I am looking for someone intelligent along with other qualities. People of both genders should take the time to get their grammar correct.
 rlwyld1
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2007 5:40:26 AM
Only Problem using Spell Check is while it may avoid the spelling errors you definitely had better proofread it. Otherwise there is no telling what it may say.

I love reading the paper or magazine and seeing now that they use a computer instead of a human to check, double check and check everything one more time things slip by the spell checker all the time. Remember it can only tell if it was spelled right or wrong most do not know what you intended to type in the first place.

Of course another reason for the profiles with one extremely long run on sentence, extreme spelling, grammar and punctuation errors is many profiles are set up for the first time at odd ball hours, after a few drinks or without much thought. If the profile has been changed a few times and still looks like a 3rd grader with a learning disability typed it up then unless that is your type it is probably best to move along.
 MallardHunter
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/13/2007 10:31:22 AM
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

I read that report too.

Your post was easy to read, but i think it was because of the punctuation.

When people type out their life story with no punctuation, it is unreadable and shows stupidity...
 prolibertate
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/13/2007 2:03:58 PM

If someone were to invent something completely radical that would change human life for the better , in a huge way , would we reject their ideas cos they couldn't spell it right ? (the idea is more important then the delivery.)

I'd guess when someone spells 'new' for 'knew' and 'no' for 'know' I'd have to wonder how they'd even be able to come up with anything radical that would change the world for the better...since they don't sound too intelligent in the first place.
 GuitarGuy_
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/13/2007 2:41:01 PM
They have a spelling function on the message part of the forums. Why not one on the email portion? Or is that where the rubber hits the road.
 Savanna
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2007 2:50:37 PM
As much as I agree with this topic... I have to disagree at the same time.

I don't want someone who is an idiot, I want someone I can have actual conversations with and not be stumbling for words. I tend to not have as much respect for people who don't know the difference between "there", "they're", and "their". At the same time there are a few people out there, that are intelligent to no end, but just don't really give two shits about how they type, spell, or use grammar online.
 prolibertate
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/14/2007 8:01:55 AM
mSG 27...The reason these people did well is because they persevered and learned despite having dyslexia...what I'm talking about are people who don't do that, or those who don't think learning how to spell or using good grammar is worth their time.

Msg 31...exactly! I figure if someone doesn't give a sh*t about this, then they probably don't give a sh*t about other important things either...and that's generally what I've found the case to be. There's a huge difference between typos and consistent spelling errors.
 Jonathan85
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/14/2007 10:36:04 AM
Unfortunately, literacy doesn't seem to increase my chances!

-GG
 Adam Taylor
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2007 3:10:45 PM
Oh! Oh! Check out my profile! How many mistakes did I make?
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/14/2007 4:46:02 PM
Adam: the Firefox speller didn't like "learnt" and "minigolf" -- The one is Brit from what I understand, and the speller doesn't like aggregated words. I wouldn't have a problem with either. Cute/sweet/nice profile BTW. . . .

Jokster_79
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2007 5:12:31 PM
there's something just as bad called the great wall of text that turn people off. to all those it applies to... paragraphs are your friends.
 Sass_and_Class
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 5/14/2007 8:09:31 PM
Absolutely. Massive spelling, and grammar errors are a huge turn off. In the same respect, so is a guy who can't verbally interact in an intelligent manner. A woman's mind is the key to much affection, however, the smarter the woman, the better your game must be to win the prize!

My very favorite (note sarcasm!) is..."im looking for a intelegent ladee"...Seriously, if you can't spell it in an appropriately correct sentence...no way. A lack of paragraphs can also be highly annoying. An error once in a while (typos, etc.) is totally fine, though. It is the consistently terrible language and writing skills that drive me nuts.
 junipermoon
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2007 5:37:57 PM
i get turned off when i see overuse of the verb 'to be,' too many adverbs and anything written in passive voice.

i can't help it and i realize how petty it seems.

guess i make everyone else look pretty lenient and forgiving.
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/15/2007 6:13:10 PM
Very smart tactic lmao. Your secret is out now so now what do you do for an encore is that oncore.... nevermind
 braindrain22
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/15/2007 7:29:28 PM
I skimmed through all the posts to see if anyone disagreed with the OP. Only one guy had the guts to admit spelling mistakes didn't bother him (doesn't like perfect people as he calls them). Of course his profile had some errors in it. Regardless, I admire his courage.

I'm from french decent and my spelling and grammar definatley need work. All the children in my family suffer the same problem. My younger brother and I both have IQ's that qualify us for MENSA. Neither of us would ever join. His spelling and grammar skills are by far the worst in our family. If you saw his spelling and grammar you would judge him as being inarticulate, dumb, and uninteresting. Of course the contrary is true. He is brilliant and funny. Having said all that I still agree that we have no choice but to filter people using these little signs since the contrary would be rare indeed. We may miss a jewel of a person but you'd have to date 100 duds to find the jewel. Same logic holds true for photo's. Some people look much better in person, but we can't date everyone that sends us a message in hopes that they look better in person.
 WokkaWokka
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/16/2007 2:36:02 PM
absolutely, if i read a profile that looks like its been written by a third grader ,i'm movin along right away
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/16/2007 6:06:13 PM
See, it's like this hear: this computer has for ways too spellcheck -- Word, WordPerfect, thee email program, and the speller that cums with FireFox. One has all the thyme in the whirled to spell cheque if one wishes. If one wishn't, then the reader is free to assume that communication isn't a strong point. Since relationships are about communication, the owner of the profile is at diss stink disadvantage. No use getting made at the readers (them broads and boys one wishes to at track), then. Is their?

Had a good laugh this afternoon: one of my matches was "professor" who did,t seem to be able to tell a comma (,) from an apostrophe ('). . . .

GuitarGuy_
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/16/2007 8:59:34 PM
Class is in!

LOL

I think you used the word "good" too many times in your profile. There are better words than that, shows a lack of imagination. Sounds like an echo after a while.

hehe just teasin. It goes both ways.
 GuitarGuy_
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/17/2007 10:05:54 PM
Never use a big word when a diminutive one will do.

h0ldfast
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2007 11:46:28 PM
Empirical evidence suggests that correct spelling and grammar, a rich vocabulary, a sense of poetry and any sort of appreciation for literature or art are so far down on the list of things that impress women that they aren't worth mentioning. The men who get the girl are, more often than not, dumb as a post.
 h0ldfast
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 5/18/2007 7:06:04 AM
Janet4, the urge to conform is powerful, but I don't believe that long term happiness is achieved by compromising one's values, integrity or personal standards to gain social acceptance. If philistinism is a requirement for a relationship, I'd rather be single.
 Lisa!!!
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/20/2007 6:52:53 PM
Get over it! Men CANNOT spell, their grammar SUCKS, and if they didn't have a good secretary, they'd be nowhere! (Of course not - it all comes down to a woman managing things!) AND their secretary does not have reign over their personal life (ie - pof)
So as long as they're not typing all in caps, it should be ok. YES - this is a free service, so you have to delve a bit deeper to weed out the losers. Too bad pof doesn't provide spellcheck!
 zombies are chasing me
Msg: 24
Posted: 5/21/2007 12:36:36 AM
@OP

I'll admit I suck at punctuation but then again if a girl sees that and it's enough to make her not talk to me then i really don't care for her either heh! :)
kinda retarded to judge someone cause they cant spell or something. ..heh Albert Einstein couldn't drive ;)
 screw3d2
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2007 2:19:03 PM
Hmmm just wanted to add my 2 cents here. IMHO, knowing how to spell right does not make you more intelligent, that just makes you more educated, way different, one thing is not directly related to the other. On the other hand it would depend on what kind of people you checked the profile.

If it was a 19 to 20-something guys and/or girls, then i think that is just the culture they are growing up, if you chat on internet nowadays people write way different than 5 years ago. Besides i see anytime I post a reply or comment in here, it does have an automatic grammar correction which shows you the miswritten word in red. So chances are they saw the mistakes and just didn't want to fix it.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  > Illiteracy decreases your chance of response!!