Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Compatibility match? What match?!?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ron9
Msg: 3
Compatibility match? What match?!?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Good observation Sigi lol.

I did not take the test. Maybe I have been around too long to have much faith in that kind of testing/profiling.

I will continue to use my own eyes/mind/heart when it comes to looking for my sweetie pie.
 tdh46
Msg: 5
Compatibility match? What match?!?
Posted: 5/20/2007 10:14:19 AM
I looked at mine and had 3 count them 3 people that i was 100 percent match with. I wonder if i am now honor bound to contacting those people?

It's just like anything else in online dating, I think it might be a good ice breaker if you happen to see someone that you like, and they happen to be a good match. But i really don't put too much stock into it.
 tdh46
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/20/2007 10:38:59 AM
WHY ARE U SCREAMING AT US. AND TAKE A BREATH AND STOP THAT DAMN RAMBLING.

silly u of course i got it....I WAS KIDDING
 curlygrl
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/20/2007 12:58:54 PM
ARUGULA!!! I am laughing so hard I think I wet myself-LMAO!!!

My matches - you dont even want to know-
Good observation SIGI-
I think I will continue to make my own choices- as bad as they are-
I seem to have a problem with judging peoples character here - they
have none-
I took the personality test and got bored and started making up
answers so its not real - my attention span sucks.
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 24
Posted: 5/20/2007 2:32:42 PM
Is this different from the personality search thingy that appeared at the beginning of May 2007?
 tdh46
Msg: 26
Posted: 5/20/2007 2:39:36 PM
I have a question about this....The people that show up as 100 percent matches for me, when they look at my picture do they also see me as a 100 percent match? or is it a different number?
 Singlemale1962
Msg: 27
Posted: 5/20/2007 2:55:06 PM
Dont feel bad another site I was on go the bright idea of "emailing people we think would be a good match"

Im single, 45, skinny with no kids and stable financially.

I got a woman who was 48, 350 pounds, had 5 kids and was looking for a guy who would be a good dad to her kids.

Needless to say I wasnt happy that this service deceided to email both of us to tell us that we were a perfect match.

So I learned never let freinds , family OR internet services pick your match.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 35
Posted: 5/20/2007 6:53:44 PM
ROTFLMAO ~OP~ I knew you were destined to be a minister's wife. I am not even going to indulge in looking at matches. I've been here long enough to realize that Sigi is my true match. (Well, aside from maybe this one really great guy, sorry Sig ~ have to keep my options open you know!!)
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 38
Posted: 5/20/2007 7:38:02 PM
I just realized that if I were going on these particular results, I'm not even compatible with my own self. Personally ~ it's becoming rather clear to me that this whole profile thing could be minimized to the following:

Pictures
Pictures
Pictures
oh....and pictures.

Everything else seems rather unimportant if I base my opinion on two years of POF forums. Or, maybe just words and no pictures for all of those who profess that looks don't matter. Woo hoo ~ wouldn't that be exciting?

~OT~ Compatibility is next to impossible to determine. Hell, I've been compatible with someone one day and not the next ~ it's all in how you view it I suppose.
 TouchOfClass316
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2007 8:17:55 PM
I totally agree with ascuteasabug! It's either 17 years older or 17 years younger! I'm not into child dating either lol Beyond the age thing, I don't date men under 5'11" and 90% of my over 80% are all under 5'9"! No way, No how! (please don't send hate mail, there are really gorgeous men under 5'9", just a personal pref of mine)

The other eftj, tspc, abcd, xyz thing, hasn't done a thing for me either!

Guess I'll just keep until I meet my special !
 TroyMcLure
Msg: 45
Posted: 5/21/2007 4:51:03 AM
me thinks that match engine works on some super fuzzy logic.... but consider this ... it is a problem you could not solve by yourself.... so how in the hell would some comp sci programming guy be able to write a one time application to get it right ... go fish
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 46
Posted: 5/21/2007 12:28:52 PM
So, I've looked twice for my own "compatibility" matches and I don't have any. Zero. LMAO ~ WTH????????? How funny is that? (Not that I didn't already think that, but to have it clearly put in front of my nose on a free dating site ... sheesh...something is seriously wrong with my karma. ) It's almost as bad as my one POF friend who eHarmony declined with a note claiming she was just not dating material. LMAO ~
 scorpiomover
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2007 12:10:40 AM
My viewpoint:

1. The profiles could do with listing interests, or likes/dislikes, and things like that, like on other sites. But I'd like an OPTION, like a checkbox to select if I want to add them in when I register, or not.

2. Most of these compatibility tests do not claim to be scientifically accurate, as most people have differing views of what makes a relationship work, or what is a good relationship.

3. Also, most tests focus on couples who are together, or on people who are attracted to each other, not the likelihood of getting to that all-important first date. Because once you meet in person, and get to talk to each other, everything changes.

4. Search criteria are not taken into account with the compatibility test, or the personality test.

5. There is currently no way to assess your likelihood of finding a mate with your search criteria. I'd like to be able to find out how many women would include & exclude me in their mail settings for my search criteria, as I smoke, and am 37 and live in the UK. That includes some, but not others and I have no idea if I'm picking at straws, or at loads.

6. Criteria, I would choose would be:
Bossy / Easygoing: It always appears that one is one and the partner is the other.
Like conversation / silence: It always appears that both are talkers or both not. If different, then tension results.
Morning person / Evening person: Both are one or both are the other. Even if now work different hours, they accomodate. But morning people do not accommodate evening person's desire to sleep late, and evening people do not accommodate morning person's desire to sleep early.
Messy person / Tidy person: Both are one or both are the other.
I'm sure there are more but, that's all I've got so far.

Lol
Posted: 5/22/2007 6:22:14 AM
I wanted a college educated professional who enjoyed reading, cooking and family times. I specifically mentioned museums, theatre and ballet. I was offered tatoos, harley riders, mechanics and landscapers

So my question is: people with tats, harley riders, mechanics and landscapers can't be college educated professionals? That statement takes prejudice to a new low. I was opposite an attorney once on a case. Nice looking guy, very professional. Masters in Jurisprudence. Some months later, met this same attorney at a party. He rode up on a Harley. He had a tank top and blue jeans on *and* he had multiple tattoos. However, he was *still* a college educated professional. You really need to watch those generalizations.
 SthrnButtrfly
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 5/22/2007 9:43:50 AM
hmm, after reading this forum I just had to go check out my compatibility matches.....

Needless to say most were only 80% and looking for hang outs or intimate encounters which in my profile states I am not looking for.

But, there was one who was a 94% and lives here in my hometown. Not bad looking, great profile and so I took the chance and sent him an email....who knows.... I think this forum goes great with the forum on "Finding the impossible."

As for the professional bikers comment....my father is a professional biker and he just recently retired from a high ranking position at Cape Kennedy Space Center...during the day he wore suits and ties and after hours and weekends he wore jeans, t-shirts, showed off his tattoos, etc. He has a Masters in Business. And I also am a biker with tattoos, but in the professional world I dress professionally, wear my hair up and hold a Bachelors in Human Services. Think before you speak...judge not lest ye be judged....

Bottom line on compatibility
but to really find out if you are, to meet face to face tells it all
I agree!!!
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 61
Posted: 5/22/2007 3:19:58 PM
RE - My post at #26: I've answered my own question. Never mind.

RE - #36, 54 & 55: I concur that some of the normal searching criteria needs to be accounted for. I remember that one of the questions in the compatibility match section was "do you want children?" Two of my 6 matches have in their profiles "no" while I have "yes." Obvious problem issue. Perhaps that could be fixed by importing a "default" answer for some questions as per one's profile settings - thus making a user change it if what he/she really wants is different.

RE - #45: Similarly with me too regarding the personality test, in that those on that list that I were interested in I had already contacted (or attempted to if not for the "sent mail" bug beign discussed elsewhere).

Maybe there needs to be more people who try it, but right now, my matches are 93, 90, 88, 82, 82, and 80; seems a bit low compared to others that have chimed in so far. I had found 3 of them on my own before this feature, and the other 3 don't meet my other preferences. Also, no one of my 6 compatibles shows up as a match on the personality test! (Not to mention that my 93% is 12 years younger....)
Posted: 5/23/2007 7:01:06 AM

There are too many intangibles to accurately define relationship compatibility with a psychological test.

Additionally, Bike, do you have any idea how very simple it is to make one of those tests say what you want it to say? If anyone has an ounce of education or perception, it's too damn simple to fake one of them out.

It's all in fun though, eh?
 2matchingsocks
Msg: 66
Posted: 5/23/2007 9:15:10 AM
I just looked at all the profiles on mine...have to say there isn't one person on there that would have interested me at all.
I think I've done much better on my own! I'll stick to choosing who I'm compatible with and who I'm not.
Posted: 5/23/2007 1:05:47 PM

Unfortunately with a free site like this, there are too many charlatans playing games.

It is no different on pay sites - money has nothing to do with it.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 69
Posted: 5/23/2007 1:35:35 PM
I finally have matches on that silly thing. Too bad one is my exhusband one is a male friend here who we clearly are NOT a match, but it was funny emailing him the little 86% result; and one man that is not only NOT my type, he's looking for an intimate encounter. LMAO ~ I'm going with door number three if nothing else happens.

As for pay sites ~ I hate to throw a monkey into the deal, but I've had much better luck on pay sites. I think it has to do with which site ~ but I do believe that when someone pays money, their intentions may be just a bit more "real." I've never been played on a pay site, I can't say the same for the free sites I've been on, including this one. Maybe that is just my experience. Lot's of people seem to find each other here ~ I'm just not one of them I guess.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 70
Posted: 5/23/2007 2:51:30 PM
I've always known that finding a mate was going to be a toughie: Age, location, and a rather odd personality/life. I don't have any restrictions on my profile, or really in my heart about what you are looking for or what you look like or where you are or what you do. What I haven't chosen to compromise on is mind/body/soul connections. The 300 character minimum for first contact weeds out almost 100% of the searching for sex fellas. That said, I've started conversations with a number of really nice guys.

The two I got on the capability test were nice, an both have viewed me, but didn't have profiles that were especially interesting to me. And clearly vice versa, lol!

In the meantime, *someone* read an old post of mine on a forum and. . . . Ironically, I didn't meet his distance restriction, and would never have been able to email him. BTW the way for all you doubters about no pic profiles, he didn't have a pic up, and he's gorgeous.

So all I can say is that it's likely one or another of the tools we're being offered is going to work -- if you wish them to. And take the risks involved in creating new any relationship.

Rabbitman49
Msg: 71
Posted: 5/23/2007 4:14:23 PM
Rebuttal to #76: A pay site does not make the participants any more honest. On "match", I've found several "nigerian-419" scammers and even a couple of hookers who are in my area that had profiles (I recognized them from their "craigslist" postings). I've had two people who messed with me but never met them - and one woman who wanted me to convert to her religion before the first date! Conclusion: A pay site doesn't mean one won't find psychos, scammers, and other malcontents.

Back on topic: Well, now I have 9 compatiblity matches, but the 3 new ones are also undesirable for other reasons. My score range remains 80-93%. I just hope that it can be made a bit "smarter"....
 YamIhere
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2007 11:46:16 AM
What's great about this is all of my "matches" would likely be as frightened by my profile as I was by theirs.

My second highest match explicitly notes that she only dates black guys, but guys with dark features are permitted to apply, as well. I guess I need to get to the tanning salon ... oh, wait, no beer bellies, either. Damn.
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 80
Posted: 6/4/2007 2:54:41 PM
Another week; a few more matches appeared (now 12). What I like about this feature is that my top match with a photo also has filters that block me from messaging her. That's real compatibility.
 tdh46
Msg: 82
Posted: 7/13/2007 6:34:00 PM
I happened to notice that i was matched up with a OPB i know from the forums. This is a really bitter and full of herself woman that i would not date if she was the last woman on earth. I laughed out loud this morning when i saw she was a 93 percent match for me. Talk about being way way off. I would rather be standing on the ledge of a burning highrise waiting on the fire department to rescue me than be in the same room with this woman.

Now after seeing her on my compatibility list i have lost all faith in it. Saying i now look at the list with a jaded eye would be the understatement of the century.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Compatibility match? What match?!?