Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Stomp Boxes/FX Pedals      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mitch97
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Stomp Boxes/FX PedalsPage 1 of 1    
Yo,

I am in need of some stomp boxes. I want a great distortion and delay. I'm playing a Gibson Lucille through a 1972 Fender Deluxe Reverb. While I do play blues, I'm basically a rock guy with a tone fetish. I want tones like U2, Radiohead and Interpol.

I heard the TS-808 (Tube Screamer) is nice, so is the Rat and Fulldrive. I heard all of Fulltone's stuff is good. Also heard the Memory Man is good for delay. Any advice?
 Strange Days
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Stomp Boxes/FX Pedals
Posted: 5/22/2007 4:48:40 AM
Pedal junkie here...
There's soooo many choices. The TS-8, TS-9, are both great pedals with great tone, but not much gain. SRV used them over a Fender amp like yours. For half the price check out the Boss SD-1. Little different sound with more gain. Great pedal for rock and blues. For a harder edge try the Boss DS-1. That pedal takes alot of badmouthing because people use it maxed out in front of a crap SS amp. In front of a tube amp clean almost breaking up, the DS-1 is magic. Satriani among other like this tone. My personal fav is the EH Big Muff. It's fuzz, not distortion and is creamy-riffic! Santana, Black Sabbath, and nearly every 60's and 70's rock band used one. Great on a bass too. (Ask Sir Paul) That screaming chain-saw gain on Weezer and Smashing Pumkins albums is a Big Muff as well. Stay away from anything digital. In front of a good tube amp, analog pedals are unbeatable for tone.
For delays, I'd by a Boss DD3, or DD6. No stupid menus or settings, KNOBS! Easy to get the sound you want. Versitle without alot of features you'd never use. Plus Boss duriability. Something as sensitive as a delay needs to be in a strong box.
 JackBNimble
Msg: 3
Stomp Boxes/FX Pedals
Posted: 5/22/2007 6:06:21 PM
just wondering ... are you running the Deluxe at full throttle ? ... use the guitar volume control , to control the drive ? If it's "tone" of distortion you need .. maybe you can run an EQ pedal into the amp , or a compressor . Distortion is very personal ... just keep trying things out , at different volume levels as well , and with different attack teqniques . SD I's , DS I 's , Boss Metals , Rats , and Screamers all have a big fan base , but you might only need a "tone" controller to get what you want . Check out as well .. different preamp tubes in your amp .
 mitch97
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Stomp Boxes/FX Pedals
Posted: 5/22/2007 8:23:18 PM

use the guitar volume control , to control the drive

I heard about doing this but I haven't really tried it. I know my amp sounds great past 5 on the volume but I love the clean tone as well. I tried pretty much all the Boss pedals and the only one that's caught my ear was the Blues Driver. It actually sounds pretty close to an overdriven tube amp. I'll keep checking things out.
 JackBNimble
Msg: 5
Stomp Boxes/FX Pedals
Posted: 5/23/2007 3:31:26 PM
Check out the guitar players thread ... it's huge ..but the dudes in there know their stuff . One of the writers in there .. " Late" is his name .. he has a pretty good handle on distortion techniques . See what he says :)
 gizmosellschickens
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Stomp Boxes/FX Pedals
Posted: 6/5/2007 9:47:47 PM
gave up on pedals too many to choose from, and I found its 95% percent in the hands. If a person has guitar, and pedals around all nibble on the sounds, but my personal set up its a guitar straight into a amp with a fuzz distortion.
 RSwindol
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Stomp Boxes/FX Pedals
Posted: 11/29/2009 4:32:13 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I figured I would add to it anyway.

For those of you pedal junkies out there and other who are just trying to find the perfect sound, you may be interested in checking into custom pedal shops.

I just bought my first custom pedal, and I'm really liking it. I wanted a fuzz pedal that not only could be played full blast on my electrics, but also something that I could add just a hint of background fuzz on my acoustic for certain songs that my band plays. I contacted JHS pedals and when he built for me was a pedal that split my guitar's signal. One side stayed clean while the other side I could tweak my fuzz. Then he added a blend knob so that I could blend the clean and fuzzed tones together to suit my occasion.

Little things like this make custom shops very valuable.

Another thing many other them are good at is figuring out how to mimic the tone of a popular vintage pedal that may be well out of your price range.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Stomp Boxes/FX Pedals