Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Traveling Solo      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Lil Loca
Msg: 1
Traveling SoloPage 1 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
I love to travel, but I have no one to go with and I'm thinking about going somewhere on my own.

Have you taken a trip by yourself? Any good or bad experiences?

Ironically I work in the travel industry, I just have not worked up the guts to go somewhere by myself.

Thanks
 cosmopolitan..
Msg: 2
Traveling Solo
Posted: 5/24/2007 2:41:31 PM
I have travelled a lot on my own, have taken tours which end up being fairly independent and should you want company it's there. And none of the experiences were horror stories, a lot depends on your own attitude. Other trips I have taken off all on my own which is great too.

In my late 20's went with Contiki which was fun; later it's been Cosmos - and they are pretty good. And yes, you end up making friends which is a bonus, and especially I noticed if you are single woman, people are very caring and protective.

Go for it if you really want to, good luck.
 Bellabo
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 5/27/2007 4:18:34 PM
The best advice I can give you on travelling solo - if people won't go with you, don't waste your life waiting. Go see the world?
Exactly!!!

I wasted a lot of time asking friends to come with me and after taking some advice from a few lovely folk on here and mates who had travelled on their own I went for it, it was by far the best holiday I ever had ( Thailand).

I too worked in the travel industry but it wasn't until I left that I took advantage of this fabulous world I lived in.

Depends on what you want but I just booked the flight and let the people I met influence my next day actions, met some fantastic new friends and had amazing experiences because I chose at that precise moment to go do them, not wait for my friend to get herself out the bathroom!

Go Girl, but stay safe xx and we wanna hear all about it!
 SoLongThanksForAllTheFish
Msg: 5
Traveling Solo
Posted: 6/20/2007 8:52:17 AM
I almost always travel solo. Finding somebody else who wants to see all the same places is difficult at best, so you wind up a) missing out on things you want to see b) getting dragged off to places you don't want to visit and maybe c) ruining a friendship as well.

Even when you travel by yourself you're not alone; you meet lots of people and hook up with them for trips from an afternoon to a few days.

If you make any effort to be sociable (and if you don't, why travel?) then the people you meet will take you to things you might not have considered on your own. That pretty much removes all the advantages of a regular travel partner that I can see.

Of course, if your SO wants to come with you that's another matter...

I have stayed in hostels a lot and mostly enjoyed them. They ranged in quality from spic-n-span Swiss marvels to dodgy druggie-infested holes in Greece. After a few years in dormitories, though, I found myself getting less interested in them. It's just as easy to meet people in small hotels with private rooms and you don't have to put up with snoring, night screams, people grinding their teeth nightly, or kleptomaniacs. In poor countries good hotels can be quite cheap, and in rich countries camping is sometimes a possibility. :)
 Soft_Gentle_Kisses
Msg: 6
Traveling Solo
Posted: 6/21/2007 6:29:41 AM
I have always traveled as a family. This years goal is to travel with another single friend of mine, but I also want to travel somewhere alone. I too feel that it will be an empowering experience. I suppose it is another way to seek independence for me. My son is older now, so I find myself with more time on my hands. Who knows what I will find out there. The only thing stopping me right now is myself..so I'm going to get out of my own way! LOL Anyone want a postcard?
 Thatguy67
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 6/23/2007 6:20:35 AM
I have also travelled solo. You have the freedom to do and see what you want. Some people might see it as "strange" but I'm not gonna sit on my hands and wait for someone to come along with me.
Traveling Solo
Posted: 8/31/2007 5:05:14 PM
I have taken several trips solo. My advice is to do your homework ahead of time. Most states and major cities have tourist websites that will send you information. You can plan what you want to do and see, yet you are free to change plans as you go. I also went on a 3 night cruise alone. It was one of the best cruises I have ever been on. Just be sure to introduce yourself to people as you sit for a meal, etc. You will be surprised at how many people you meet. Definitely strike out on your own, no point in wasting time sitting home alone. Happy travels!
 SoLongThanksForAllTheFish
Msg: 9
Traveling Solo
Posted: 9/19/2007 12:49:59 PM

Maybe someone out there may have other areas to avoid SOLO.

I can' t think of any large areas that are safer for a group than a solo traveller, but I can think of many which are more dangerous for groups.

Why do people think that they're safer travelling in a group? Traffic accidents sure don't care how many of you there are. Armed robbers won't hesitate to hold up two or three people. Bandits will rob an entire tour group if they can, and air-con chartered buses are easy to spot. Rebels and terrorists look for big groups of tourists to prey on. You might be slightly more vulnerable to pickpockets and strong-arm muggers by yourself than with other people, but if this is somebody's idea of danger they need to recalibrate.

Over the years I've run across lots of stories of lots of tourists getting killed in different places, and the ones that stick in memory were all groups: Dozens and dozens of package tourists massacred in Egypt, particularly in one incident at Hatshepsut's Temple. A gorilla trekking group kidnapped, raped and murdered in Uganda (13 of them, if I recall right). Two or three separate cases of small groups of backpackers who were dumb enough to take the train through rebel territory in Cambodia. I've been to most of those places by myself, solo, with no problems. They even shot up a tourist bus in Cairo while I was there and I still had no problems.

I think one of the bigger reasons for this is that groups of people convince themselves they're safe when they're not, by listening to each other too much and egging themselves on. I know (because I was there when it happened) that the gorilla parks in Uganda had been the target of raids looking for tourists long before they eventually succeeded in catching the one group, back around 1997 or 98. Days after one such raid there were still groups of idiots heading off to see the awesome gorillas. I probed a couple of these people a bit, trying to figure out what was wrong with them. "Well they say it's safe now." "Who is this 'they'?" "Uh I dunno. Look, it's safe." The NGO volunteers were still waiting in Kampala for the OK to go back, so that seemed unlikely.

You'd think that since kidnapping seems to be a growing sport in lots of countries, it MUST be safer to be in a group there - yet all the cases I hear about are entire groups being kidnapped, again.

I do hear other stories about individual tourists being murdered in different places, but there doesn't seem to be any particular hot spot for this, could be Japan or Spain as easily as Kenya or Mexico.

General awareness seems a much better way to stay safe than counting on other people.

On a different note: most of West Africa is probably safer than the U.S. Just stay away from the active war zones.
 maladasa
Msg: 10
Traveling Solo
Posted: 9/20/2007 9:55:25 AM
hey this message is for queen sassy II ok only for her ...lol...lol

hey my dear queen i had to travel solo in the pst and i'm still traveling solo sometimes, but now i would love to try something new,i work for an airline in miami and i would love to invite you to come to miami any time you want and i would love you to invite me to canada....we fly to toronto, so what do you think of the idea...now you have a house near the beach and i have a house in the snow ....lol...lol...lol contact me and lets chat ...btw you are gorgeous !!!!!! i like you !!!!!...love marty.
 Bellabo
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 10/17/2007 3:24:12 PM
Off again on my own, over Christmas as well, but hoping to meet up with friends I've already made on here, so if anyone wants to meet up in Koh Samui, Thailand from 16 Dec to 30 Dec, Mail me !!

Just seen it described as Hedonism blended with Buddism - Perfect!
 tridreamin
Msg: 12
Traveling Solo
Posted: 10/25/2007 8:26:24 PM
I've never had a bad experience going solo. If you're concerned about safety, the same rule applies to a solo traveler as to those traveling in packs -- do your homework. Know the local customs, especially when it comes to women travelling alone. I try to immerse myself in the local culture, learning key phrases so I can initiate conversations in the local language. Besides the hello, goodbyes & thank yous --- how's about 'do you speak English?' (in whatever the local language).

Be sociable - talk up the locals, talk to fellow travellers & enjoy!

I've done the wine regions of Germany, Paris, Bali & Singapore alone.

Ok - if you're still gunshy about travelling alone --- you can hook up with a tour at the beginning of your trip to get you acclamated, then break out on your own. Or do a Club Met kinda trip?
 thedude72
Msg: 13
Traveling Solo
Posted: 10/28/2007 3:32:09 PM
Things are different for men than for women, and that can be more or less true depending on where you go. I'm a guy, so adjust accordingly. {grin}

I've traveled extensively solo in Mexico and Guatemala (trips of 1 and 2 months, respectively) and traveled with a friend for a two-month trip from LA to the Yucatan and back. Success partly depends on your personality. I did get lonely while traveling solo, but also found lots of friends I probably would not have found if I already had someone to talk with. {grin}

You'll find that there's a circuit through a country, and you'll often run into the same people again and again in multiple cities -- you can count on meeting people you know in most places.

Traveling with a friend had pluses and minuses vs traveling solo -- when you're solo, personality conflict means you don't travel or hang with the person anymore. When traveling together, personality conflicts can really cause problems. (I'm firmly convinced that I'm going to take a long (like month or two) trip with any woman I'm considering marrying. The truth really comes out on a long trip, for good or ill.)

You'll usually have people advise a single woman not to travel solo in Latin America, but I've know women who took year-long trips solo through South America, and had no real problems. It's partly in how you carry yourself and how you relate to others. In Western Europe, for instance, I don't think you should hesitate for a minute to travel solo. In other places, it really depends on how adventurous and self-sufficient you are.

So my answer: It depends. (Not a lot of help, I know.)
 JasonTKD22
Msg: 14
Traveling Solo
Posted: 10/30/2007 12:21:49 AM
I haven't traveled solo yet, but now that I live in CA, I plan to do it ALOT. So many places to see, just in the San Fransisco bay area! (it'll be awhile before I decide to check out Southern CA though...seems like fires happen there every year. Not my idea of fun. )
 tick tock
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 10/30/2007 12:56:01 AM
Oddly enough, I'm considering travelling solo over the Christmas holidays. In the past, I've always had friends or family that were available, but this year turned out to be quite unusual in that they are already travelling to other destinations or they've become tied down with married life. This would be a first for me and I've seriously considered going to either Jamaica or back to Mexico for the fourth time. I could travel to Africa with a friend of mine, but I've used up most of my vacation time and one week wouldn't be enough to enjoy that mysterious land. So...in the middle of our winter and at the year end, a warm climate with muchos cervezas is calling. I've never travelled to a resort alone and I imagine I'll have to pay a bit more to compensate for not having double occupancy but hey, you only live once. I primarily want R & R, but would love to meet people on my trip, so I've got to be careful which resort I pick. If it's primarily a family-oriented resort, then my chances are virtually nil. Should be an adventure!
 gemni17
Msg: 16
Traveling Solo
Posted: 11/13/2007 6:44:09 AM
i like to explore new places but i hedge going by myself.i went to europe a couple of times with my oldest son but i would really like to find a companion to go with.i havent seen a lot of the US.i want to go somewhere warm in our winter but not alone.im a widower.ive watched the sun set on the pacific ocean and the north sea and it was beautiful but i wanted to share that with somebody special to me.sorry not into traveling by myself. thanks
 cleopatra8
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 12/3/2007 8:58:19 PM
Go on a cruise. Everything is there for you and there is so much to see and do everyday that you won't be bored.
Take a bus tour and be willing to share for you will be given your own room probably since so many women are afraid to travel on their own. Have your own room and just pay the double rate.
I have been on 26 cruises mostly on my own and would go again in a heartbeat.
You meet more people this way.
 seachangelass
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 1/12/2008 9:36:22 PM
Lots of good advice on this thread. I'm probably not adding anything new but heck, I feel like contributing anyway.

I've done dozens of trips on my own over the years. It is very freeing as others have said. You can go wherever you want, whenever you want. From time to time, it can get a bit lonely, but frankly, I've been a bit lonely in a group too. Or is it that I wished to heck I could be alone? :)

More often than not, it is easy to befriend and be befriended. It is so easy to meet people when you are travelling. Everyone is excited and open to meeting other travellers (you). Local people at your chosen destinations are often pleased to meet you too.

Once you are at your chosen destination, book some tours. It is so easy to meet people when on a tour. One of my bestfriends and two of my best and most frequent travel companions are people that I met while in other countries. I'm still in touch with many other people I've met along the way. I've been in one country and run into someone that I met a couple of years earlier, in another country. Isn't the world a wonderful place?

Generally, you can find others that are ready to hook up for a meal. But having said that, it depends on the time of day and where I happen to be . .so many times I eat alone. Once in a while, I'll get tired of eating on my own but when that mood comes over me, I get something that I can eat in my room for dinner and have a quiet night. Otherwise, I'm out and about and let them stare if they will.

Keep your wits about you, at a minimum take the same precautions you would at home and don't let your normal good sense flee. There's more good people in the world than bad, but bad things can still happen to good people. So far, nothing really bad has ever happened to me. The airlines haven't even lost my luggage yet. (Knock on wood)

A couple of things you'll definitely want to pack . .patience, make sure you pack lots of patience., your sense of humor and a big warm smile.

Don't wait for anyone. There's too much to see and do. If your friends aren't able to go, too bad for them. Get going!! You'll never regret it.
 Firmbear8
Msg: 19
Traveling Solo
Posted: 1/20/2008 12:23:43 PM
Hey if you want to travel theres nothing like traveling solo!
And if you want to really enjoy something exciting try going to a country where you do not understand their language ! I went to costa rica in 2007 for the first time and no I don't speak spanish and most I understand is good morning or good evening !LOL
And yes it was a fantastic fun time even if I could not speak spanish or figure out what the pretty ladies at bars or resturants where saying to me !LOL
Yeah I bet some thought heres a nut bar ! But maybe they thought I was thinking the same of them !LOL But I will say you will no matter what have a better time going solo .
And yep plan on returning to costa rica again in august of 2008 . Maybe I'll figure out what some of these ladies are trying to say when we chat !LOL
 funinthesunfran
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 1/23/2008 2:19:43 PM
When traveling alone, it can be lonely, but you need to find the places that cater to singles, I have found one in Cancun, its a place called Temptations. Its a great time, lots of single, and married couples, but its adults only, and that means at this particular resort that its topless allowed at the swimming pool. Its a great place been there 3 times. I would highly recommend to go there if your going it alone, and they also have rooms that cater to single people. Range from $150 -$175 a night all-inclusive.
 Bellabo
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 1/28/2008 7:00:18 AM
I went Thailand on my own for the 2nd time this christmas, met an amazing girl on a bus, then met all her friends that she'd met travelling, and have just been Amsterdam with them all for the weekend...

Awesome.. planning Morroco and Oz with them now!!!
Go For it

fancynanci
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 2/27/2008 3:35:18 PM
I recently traveled through Europe alone for several months. I had the TIME OF MY LIFE...especially in Italy!!!!!
 JimnNC
Msg: 23
Traveling Solo
Posted: 2/28/2008 8:03:45 PM
I actually like getting OUT of the urban areas, especially in Europe. 1) Its not America, is very low. 2) Find someone under 30 (better if still in school) if you need a translator! 3) Bring a pocket dictionary - a lot of these people do not see tourists and are very willing to help.

The cities are great, but the countrysides are incredible!
 whothehellknows
Msg: 24
Traveling Solo
Posted: 3/23/2008 6:56:20 AM
I put off traveling for years because all my friends just wanted to go to FL and never really explore anything. I finally gave up on looking for a travel partner and went by myself. It was really enjoyable! Sometimes you feel lonely when you are out and everyone around you seems to be a couple, but you also get to set your own agenda without having to consider what someone else wants to do.

I went to Ireland, Greece, Turkey, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile and the Falkland Islands alone and it was the best decision I ever made. Of course it would have been better with a partner, but going alone is not that bad at all.
 roadblock
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 3/26/2008 9:55:43 PM
This summer im going to Idaho and Wyoming even if no one else comes with me I'm still gonna do it, I just have to, its my dream
 tomcat_dublin
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Traveling Solo
Posted: 7/19/2008 9:38:36 AM
I've traveled on business alone quite a few times

you can have a great time if you keep your mind open and willing to accept others for what they are... you do have to be careful after all you are on your own... but it's all good...
Show ALL Forums  > Travel  > Traveling Solo