Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Would you be prepared to die for your country      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MiltonDG
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Would you be prepared to die for your countryPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
What point is War. It's an extreme act of senseless violence. If I wanted to be involved with that, I would need a psychiatrist.
 forum_moderator
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Would you be prepared to die for your country
Posted: 5/28/2007 5:16:40 PM
Back to the opening post.

Posted: 5/28/2007 810 AM
Another question on Britishness, brought this to mind...

Would you go to war, to defend the values that we believe in and to protect our way of life and what we hold dear?

If you say no to the question, can you explain why, honestly.

For the record, my answer is yes.

Answer the OP otherwise keep your comments out of this thread or it will be locked.
 1stiamdaddy
Msg: 34
Posted: 6/3/2007 3:44:20 PM
Military for 6 years. Desert Storm Vet. Well, I guess that answers the question.
 stevencl
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2007 3:51:09 PM
for Scotland - yes
for britain - no
 restless_native
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2007 3:59:44 PM
No.

What I hold dear and what my government holds dear seem to be getting further apart these days.

We don't fight wars to defend ourselves. We just go to war to expand our influence overseas.

Not in my name.
 bootielicious
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2007 4:47:05 PM
Before I had my son I was in the Army. In those days women were not allowed to fight for their Country and to be honest although happy to support I didn't want to fight. Now I am a mother I would happily die to save his life and if that meant I had to fight for my Country then I would. It would have to be a direct threat on his future or life though.

I know that sounds selfish but i'm not done with loving him yet and I want to be here for him.
 thought_full_guy
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2007 12:53:22 AM
Having just retired after 22yrs , 15 of which were spent in conflicts around the globe i can tell you with confidence that YES i would but before you make your decision consider the following.
modern warfare is distant and remote , it's almost playstation war so it's easy to press a button however there are situations and judgemant calls that require you to be face to face with potential enemys, could you actually make that decision to step back and kill in an instant and then carry on . i know a great many young soldiers who talk the talk then crap themselves and throw up at the first sign of trouble , this is not a weaknes but a harsh reality of war....

So dont Die for your country , LIVE for your country........!
 Ouma
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2007 4:10:38 AM
I would be prepared to die for my family. So if their lives were to be at threat, yes.... of course I'd die for them.

Therefore, I suppose it follows I'd be prepared to die for my country if that was the only way to protect them.

I lost relatives in two world wars, and probably most of us posting today have. The loss of their lives may seem futile to us today, so many young lives cut short hideously... and for what..?

I like to think it was for us to live in peace, as we have now for over sixty years (at least on our shores). We've been the lucky generations... there's so much fighting still going on in the world. I hope young people today never have to decide for real...

Ouma x
 cuddlyjock
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2007 10:30:44 AM
the short answer is yes but i'm not one of the people who are there;my best friend is a serving soldier of twelve years.the time for recriminations is after our brave forces come home fit and well.this country isn't the country i grew up in either;the PC brigade and the minorities who don't want to assimilate,in fact want to destroy what's left of this once great country have seen to that but we must show the forces we stand steadfast with them!!as for the treacherous excuse for an MP(thieving from an injured iraqi child is totally ethical!!NOT!!)he should be glad be glad he never spewed his bile about enemy combatants being RIGHT to kill our brave forces in either of the last two world wars or he'd have been executed at dawn.personally i'd have pulled the trigger on the lying,thieving terrorist apologist myself.he forgets it was our brave forces fighting at the somme ,el alamein and countless other hellholes who gave this slug his right to say that!!
 trooperbill
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2007 11:37:47 AM
yes i would... it would be interesting to see if the ol'blighty spirit is still with the kids? i grew up watching war films (my dads a big fan) so i get a notion of what it means to defend your country

only problem is i dont think open ware fare is an option... but with terrorists, i think its only a matter of time before the country rips it self apart and we have localised pitch battles, gorilla against gorilla.

mark
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Would you be prepared to die for your country