Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > telemarketers      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 1
telemarketersPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
there seems to have been a slight shift in telemarketing practises...in canada anyway...
maybe its my ears that are starting to fail me...but every freakin time one of those annoying little gnats call me...they always have an east indian accent...i am not a bigot or a racist but if they are going to hire these people to make the calls...why do they not take the time to teach them telephone diction?...
i have an italian name and it really really pains me to hear how some of the telephone screamers ba$tardize my name...
i used to work in a call centre myself so i can sorta empathize with the demands of their job...
is the three "no" rule still in effect?
my son...god bless his pointed little head...has just matriculated from 4 yrs university largely thru his earnings working at a call centre so i have no beef with the job itself...it provides young ppl with a means to educate themselves towards finding a better job....

sorry...i just needed to vent...i feel much better now...
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 2
telemarketers
Posted: 5/29/2007 9:04:11 AM
Be glad you get real people. I often get that stupid lag between when I say "hello" and when the F*#king recorded spiel kicks in... that annoys me to no end! I hate getting the calls period, but am at least relieved when it's a real human on the other end.. even if I can't make heads nor tails of what they're saying due to a heavy accent.

Although.. I think I like getting the hum callers more because I can tell them never to call me again.. EVER EVER EVER or I will find their numbers and call THEM at dinner or during sex... or any other inopportune time.
 Duckman_2
Msg: 3
telemarketers
Posted: 5/29/2007 9:35:03 AM
I have been getting calls and when I tell them I am on both, the National and state do not call list, they state they are not selling anything...

Then I pick up my referee whistle and blow as hard as I can into the phone...

If they happen to mention anything about aluminum or vynal siding, I will let their salesman come to my home. Thing is, it already has vynal siding and also, they have to drive almost 100 miles to get here. Then I tell them to not call me again...seems to work...
 StarGazer417
Msg: 4
view profile
History
duckman 2
Posted: 5/29/2007 9:47:52 AM
I did the same thing, but to those people that call and offer a free vacation if you go (with 2 forms of id, once of which always has to be a credit card, hmmm) and listen to them try to sell you a time share or something of that nature.

When I missed the first one, they called me back and were kind of ticked off that I didn't show, but not enough to not let me reserve another date and time! I think they got the message when I didn't show the second time since I never got another phone call from them again. Passive aggressive, I know, but I figure I also saved someone else from getting those annoying phone calls for a while, anyway.
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 5
duckman 2
Posted: 5/29/2007 10:49:45 AM
duckman...dont blow the whistle into their ears...i mean after all they are just trying to do a job...its only after i say no 3 times and they persist that i get a little snarkey
 difficultone04
Msg: 6
duckman 2
Posted: 5/29/2007 10:55:53 AM
I used to be in telemarketing/tele-sales. I will say that if I got a solid no, I would give one rebuttal and then move onto the next call. I always had REALLY good numbers, but it's hard dealing with people who are downright mean and ugly on the phone. Please remember we're just trying to pay our bills!!
 MallardHunter
Msg: 7
duckman 2
Posted: 5/29/2007 2:01:40 PM
I agree with duckman 2 on this.
They are breaking the law by calling me since I am on the do-not-call list.

And I have to stop what I am doing and walk into the other room to get the phone, then say hello a couple times because the ba$tards are using an automated dialer and only pick up when someone answers, to try to sell me something that if I wanted I would have already bought....

The get what they deserve...
 PoorWhiteGirl
Msg: 8
duckman 2
Posted: 5/29/2007 2:27:31 PM
Firstly, they are not breaking the law as long as they are not trying to sell you something. If they are, you report their company.

Secondly, I don't care if they are trying to pay their bills. I get that, I really do, but unless you've been under a rock for the past 20 years, you know that telemarketing is a shit job. I'm not about to be nice to people who call me over stupid crap. That includes thost assinine calls about "which canidate are you going to vote for? Does Joe Schmoe have your vote?" Well, since you called me and interrupted me, NO he doesn't have my friggin vote.

Or those representives of that dead policeman fund. Don't give me some f'ing sob story about how their kids are going without. Live ONE DAY in my shoes, and you'll understand why I don't give two shits about kids of dead cops. It's got nothing to do with cops, btw.

LOL Damn, I have some rage against telemarketers.
 Central Man
Msg: 9
duckman 2
Posted: 5/29/2007 3:51:15 PM
Thats why caller I.D. is soooooooo great. I screen all my calls. Just about everybody I know has their name on the called id. Just a few choose to put on Private Name, then usually I still dont pick up, cuz all my friends know to call my cell if I dont pick up at home. I might go landlineless (is that even a word), and strictly use a cell phone number. Its illegal for the telescummers to call a cell.

I hate the automated one that says I won a prize, but it keeps calling every 2nd week. And I think I know exactly what the deal is on that one. Then theres the stupid furnace cleaning company, and I keep telling them to take me off the list, cuz I dont own a furnace.

I like to play along sometimes, act like im interested, waste about 15 minutes of my life. Thats only when im bored. Or you just speak gibberish, I like that one hehehehe
 Marie88
Msg: 10
telemarketers
Posted: 5/29/2007 4:16:55 PM
Oh dont start this . Im in the UK and when we call either BT the catalogue or whatever, it is rare you can get someone who can speak English. You end up asking them to repeat themselves and when they do you still have no damn idea what theyre on about. Often I have asked if theres anyone there who can speak english. Or do they have a translator around.
 MallardHunter
Msg: 11
duckman 2
Posted: 5/29/2007 5:57:44 PM
Thats why caller I.D. is soooooooo great. I screen all my calls.

Thats fine for those that want to pay the money but I don't feel I should have to screen my calls...

The same goes for call waiting...

You call me and get a busy signal, then that means I am using MY phone that I pay for...

Nothing more rude that putting someone on hold,,,but thats another rant...

Of course, I also send all the junk mail back that has a postage paid envelope and also again, all the ads that come with some bills...
 PoorWhiteGirl
Msg: 12
duckman 2
Posted: 5/29/2007 6:29:51 PM
^^^^^

Agreed. I don't have call waiting anymore nor do I have an answering machine or voice mail. They piss me off. I have basic phone service with caller ID and that's it. I like to know who's calling me. If it's an "unknown name/number" or "private" I don't answer. And if you call me, and I see it on the caller ID and I want to call you back, I will. I have no need for messages.

And I, too, have been known to send back SASE crap just so they have to pay for the postage.
 lynn123456789
Msg: 13
telemarketers
Posted: 5/29/2007 7:48:06 PM
My mom gets flooded with calls, and we don't. I might get one are two a year, and its the cops that do that. Its more about who is on whos mailing list, and listed.
Yep when they can't talk clear enough for me to under stand and I have to say what, are repeat that over three times. I just say. I can't under stand the way you speak english, so I can't talk to you. I don't like tring to guess what your saying. (Doctors is what gets me. I pay big money for a doctor and get one that I can't understand what they are saying. I think it should be a law that they have to have someone that speaks the way you do in the room when telling someone whats wrong with them if anything.)
People speak different, but when someone can't understand them, take a hint, and have someone talk that they will understand. Thats the smart thing to do.
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 14
telemarketers
Posted: 5/29/2007 8:05:01 PM
duck boys...are you that ignorant to worthwhile causes as well?...do you blow your referee whistles into someone calling for ronald mcdonald house?...or the diabetes society?...or someone asking for pledges for cancer research?...agreed that somone offering me a free vacation or unlimited long distance calling is a p.i.t.a...some telemarketing calls are actually very worth while
 2findU
Msg: 15
view profile
History
telemarketers
Posted: 5/30/2007 3:31:11 AM
I often get that stupid lag between when I say "hello" and when the F*#king recorded spiel kicks in... that annoys me to no end!

That lag is the clue to hang up before you hear a voice. I'm on the "no call" list. I guess it helps somwhat. If I had caller ID that would help too. Then I just wouldn't pick up the phone. But at work I'll get calls for free trade magazines. And its always for this magazine called "Electronic Design News" and the telemarketer is definitely calling from India. AND the thing is I don't wan't the magazine. I'm not in electronics at all. Strictly mechanical. They ask 20 questions as to which every answer is NO. One time when they got me I managed to get by with just a few and I was told I wasn't qualified for the magazine. I said GOOD, I don't want it. Then the very next day they called me again. I just told that caller off. And frankly, last year they sent me the magazine for a year. It went straight from the mailbox to the garbage.

Also if they are trying to sell you something for your house just give them two words (which will be a lie but who cares). Just say "I rent".

Anyway, I like to refer to telemarketing as "phone spam".
 WishfulThinking72
Msg: 16
telemarketers
Posted: 5/30/2007 8:15:51 AM
I just had a telemarketer call me - I pointed out they called me yesterdy and I'd said "no" to them then and wasn't about to change my mind today, he said "whatever" and hung up on me. Makes a refreshing change I suppose!
 MallardHunter
Msg: 17
telemarketers
Posted: 5/30/2007 9:12:09 AM

are you that ignorant to worthwhile causes as well?...do you blow your referee whistles into someone calling for ronald mcdonald house?...or the diabetes society?...or someone asking for pledges for cancer research?...agreed that somone offering me a free vacation or unlimited long distance calling is a p.i.t.a..

Dude, here in the U.S. there is a National Do-Not-Call list as well as one in the state of Georgia, as in many others...

If your too ignorant to understand what those words mean, I can't help you...

A telemarketer calling from one of the above mentioned charities is getting paid and that takes away from any donations made...

There are also office expenses and other cost and the charity usually gets less than 25% of the donation...

I refuse to give cash to any charity, however, I do buy canned food and deliver it to the various food banks, participate in toys for tots, and help habitat for humanity...

That is better for chairity than just throwing money at it...
 2findU
Msg: 18
view profile
History
telemarketers
Posted: 5/30/2007 11:47:11 AM

I refuse to give cash to any charity, however, I do buy canned food and deliver it to the various food banks, participate in toys for tots, and help habitat for humanity...

That is better for chairity than just throwing money at it....

I feel the same way. In fact what I donate most is my blood. Its the "gift of life".
 difficultone04
Msg: 19
telemarketers
Posted: 5/30/2007 5:04:43 PM
I guess I'll never understand being rude to a perfect stranger who hasn't been rude first. To me it's similar to being rude to the waitress who brought you out a meal that wasn't cooked properly. She's just doing her job and SHE sure as hell didn't screw up your meal.

And for the person who said "telemarketing is a shit job" I agree if you mean telemarketers should expect to get shit on, because that kind of behavior is acceptable. I'll still never get people acting so upset or childish over a telemarketing call. Only ONCE did I get rude and that was because the ****er wouldn't take no for an answer. Every single other telemarketing call I've dealt with I've gotten off the phone without being rude to the other person and without getting pissed off myself. I guess I'm in the minority!!

FistnCuffs
Msg: 20
telemarketers
Posted: 5/30/2007 9:15:26 PM
mallard boy...you are just overflowing with the milk of human kindness...i am glad there are no people like you in charge of the various charities
 ybjames
Msg: 21
telemarketers
Posted: 5/30/2007 11:11:40 PM
The last telemarketer I talked to on the phone was an a**. I then asked him for his home phone number so I could call him at 6pm when I was eating dinner. Then so I could tell all my friends to call him everyday at the exact same time. For some reason I havent gotten a telemarketing call in a while... I wonder...
 rsx11s
Msg: 22
telemarketers
Posted: 5/31/2007 7:16:18 AM

some telemarketing calls are actually very worth while

Suuuuuuuuure they are. I've certainly never got a "worthwhile" one. Ever. If I want to donate to a charity I don't need a phone call to talk me into it. In fact I make a point of giving less or not at all to those who call.

Some people find them so objectionable there are now laws aginast them via the do-not-call-list.

In the debate around its formation it was decided that it was only for "for profit commercial" calls and the not-for-profit loophole is pretty weak whn you consider some of these non-profits spend a gross amount on fundraising and not anywhere near as much as you'd think on their actual cause. In other words I think my right not to be disturbed is larger than your right to beg me for money - which I make less of if you call and disturb me, so in a sense it costs me anyway if you bug me when I'm working.

This is expecially bad if you work at home and do something that requires you to concentrate and an interruption may set you back half an hour if you were juggling a dozen things in your head trying to focus on a compex problem.

The US deserves a lot of credit for the do-not-call list. I wish Canada were that progressive.

I got rid of my landline last january because of this crap. I'd get 20-30 calls a day (I had 4 lines) from these bozos. Now I get none. It's WONDERFUL. Highly recommended.

I only wish anti-spam legislation has as much "teeth" as the do-not-call list. Spam has actually gone up since the federal lagislation went into effect because the spam trade association lobbies so hard for loopholes it ended up legitimizing their business, seeing this "green light" they ramped up. Worst it overrode more potent state laws. I filter my mail through gmail which does an extremely credible job of removing this crud.
 2findU
Msg: 23
view profile
History
telemarketers
Posted: 5/31/2007 8:49:45 AM
Another pain in the butt type phone calls I get are surveys too. I did one of those once and it wound up going on for 1/2 hr. And they ask me stuff I know nothing about at times or products I don't use. Never again.
 Random Entry
Msg: 24
view profile
History
telemarketers
Posted: 5/31/2007 11:06:38 AM

I have been getting calls and when I tell them I am on both, the National and state do not call list, they state they are not selling anything...

That is because they have a limited time they can call you. I think it is 3-4 months. Anyway most people found out that joining the list really increased their telemarketing calls initially but eventually they went down.

Just ask them to put you on the do not call list. That's what I do and they are supposed to respect that immediately. Though most of them just hang up, some give me their managers and we continue through the process.
 PoorWhiteGirl
Msg: 25
telemarketers
Posted: 5/31/2007 1:21:24 PM
There was an article in Yahoo news over the weekend about how to get rid of telemarketing calls. They explained that normally one company will handle several different surveys and such for other companies. So you can ask them to take you off the list, but you only get taken off the list for that specific survey- not off their list entirely.

They said that the people who are polite in their "no thanks" replies get tagged in the computer as a "soft no" and therefore will get calls back. People who get nasty and curse get marked as a "hard no" and are not called back for that particular survey. As well as people who say that if they call you again they are contacting their lawyer.

They said that even with the lawyer line, you will still get a few calls back but they should stop a lot sooner than being a "soft no".

I can't find the article now, but if I happen across it I'll post it. So yeah, being rude DOES pay off. Bout damn time. lol
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > telemarketers