Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Olias Of Sunhillow      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 toonsmith
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Olias Of SunhillowPage 1 of 1    
When I go to record conventions, I make sure to search for this album in vinyl.

It has a pretty elaborate bit of artwork in it. A beautiful album..... unfortunately, awhile back .... Q magazine in Britain voted it the most annoying! LOL

Pretty much a religious experience for me... when I first put on my headphones and heard Ocean Song for the very first time.

There is an early video with Jon Anderson promoting this album on youtube. Nothing special though.... just a grainy stop motion video with a German Clock and a track from the album playing.

I've heard rumors that Jon was working off and on in the studio producing Sunhillow II and promising it to be just as special. The only other solo Jon Anderson that I liked as much as Olias of Sunhillow....

3 ships! (A jon anderson christmas album!)
 vichycycl
Msg: 5
Olias Of Sunhillow
Posted: 7/15/2007 8:33:16 PM
I am lucky enough that I made copy of my vinyl on cassette back in the 80s. Now I drive a truck with a cassette player. This album is special. My friends know to play "Close to the Edge" at my funeral.

Animotion: Every time I play "Surrender" I cry at the idea of the entire planet getting together to rid the world of all the nukes at once. I know it's fantasy.

"We're gonna send the weapons up on a starry night
Explode them above the atmosphere; it sure feels right
The whole damned world will be watching
The whole damned world will be cheering
Such a night of splendour
What a way to surrender"
 middle O nowhere
Msg: 6
Olias Of Sunhillow
Posted: 7/15/2007 9:31:02 PM
I was in a rock band through high school, and YES was our favorite. (We played Long Distance Runaround in our sets.) I even saved enough to buy a Rickenbacker 4001 stereo bass. (Traded it for a broken down Volkwagen some time later.) Olias of Sunhillow came out when I was reading The Hobbit for the first time, and it was a perfect accompaniment to the landscapes in the book . That album was such a peaceful oasis.
Thanks for bringing back such a nice memory! (Except the part about trading the bass.)
 2findU
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Olias Of Sunhillow
Posted: 7/16/2007 8:45:42 AM
I'm a fan of Yes, especially the early stuff but I never heard of that album before.
 2findU
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Olias Of Sunhillow
Posted: 7/19/2007 5:42:28 AM

Go to the Yesworld website if you want to order "Fish Out Of Water" autographed by Chris Squire.

I used to have the "Fish Out of Water" LP record until movers lost about 80% of my LP collection. Anyway I am certainly familiar with that album.
 Mantizz
Msg: 10
Olias Of Sunhillow
Posted: 7/19/2007 3:43:35 PM
This was a great album. It is one of my faves, Flight of the moorglade has wound up on many of my compilations. I agree with toonsmith about the three ships album. I have it on vinyl. Saw it as a japanese imort cd years ago but $75 was too much for me back then. I have a few mp3s from it though. Has it been reissued,

Some of the best Jon Anderson stuff was from other soundtracks "Legend" and Requiem for the Americas. His Deseo stuff is OK and even his Celtic album was fun.

I hope some of his old stuff surfaces from the vault.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Olias Of Sunhillow
Posted: 2/15/2009 2:31:03 PM
This album has been reissued as late as 2006 (in the USA) on the Wounded Records label.

good guitar player
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Olias Of Sunhillow
Posted: 2/15/2009 8:04:54 PM
Cool to see that such an obscure album has fans remember a friend in college playing it for me after he found out i was a yes fan...in the 80's when corperate rock hair metal n synth pop ruled the day. Well like all solo albums it was ok, the full band was the real deal:Even tormato was way better
 Hozo
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Olias Of Sunhillow
Posted: 2/16/2009 9:41:23 PM
Wow..I had that on 8-track back in the 1970s...Jon Anderson's solo project. I played it to death, & could not find it years later after the tape broke.
 good guitar player
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Olias Of Sunhillow
Posted: 2/17/2009 4:11:09 PM
orzo did you see them at JFK....I was very little but my friends older brothers took us
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Olias Of Sunhillow