Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Would you date an older father of a young child?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lonestardaddy
Msg: 1
Would you date an older father of a young child?Page 1 of 1    
I read many profiles for women who list themselves as having children, but they're older than 18 ...and do not want more. This is most understandable as it's generally accepted that having children past the age of 35 has higher risks to both baby and mother, but would you, and as perhaps a much younger woman w/ or w/o children of your own, date a man who conceived his first child, whom I adore, at age 46 ? Yes, I'm a different fish in this here pond, but am still the healthy man who just happened to be blessed later in life for the joys of fatherhood.
 CallmeJewels
Msg: 2
Would you date an older father of a young child?
Posted: 6/5/2007 7:45:40 PM
I would prefer dating a father of any age child or children over none at all.

Does that answer your question?

It all depends on the father, his interests and his activity level compared to mine at this point.
 lonestardaddy
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/5/2007 10:33:46 PM
BNT, Thank you. I appreciate positive feedback to a situation that I as a much younger man avoided until I was w/a woman whom I was sure loved me ...and for not my earning power. Ever since giving up a job that I loved to make my now ex-wife happy, life has thrown several curveballs at me, but in the meantime, I 'hit a home run' bringing a dear child, a boy of five now, into this world.

I've an excellent relationship w/his stepdad, who is also a good man ..and I welcome his influence beyond giving my blessings to him that my ex may be who he should be w/ till death do they part. What and who I am ISO is my own partner in making the most of life till that happens, and who can love a child besides the man. If I've learned anything both IRL and on-line, I'm in a very unusual situation, but where there's a will, there's a way ...beyond The Way that I refuse to preach about before show others by example how to make the most of one's own and more of whatever else by going this route. My interests and activity level? I swing between five and 50-some in short notice, but ultimately I'm curious and still open to learning new things, not unlike how I care to raise my son to be ...and live as well.
 flowersinthelake
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2018 3:26:07 PM

This is most understandable as it's generally accepted that having children past the age of 35 has higher risks to both baby and mother, but would you, and as perhaps a much younger woman w/ or w/o children of your own,

The research done shows that older men who sire children later in life also run the risk of their offspring having mental health and developmental issues. (And, no, this is not an attempt to marginalize children with developmental or mental health issues - but since you brought up the topic ten years ago and it's still a slanted thought, today, I thought I should point it out). Yes, men, too, have a "shelf life."

More women are having children after 40, as they have delayed motherhood to build a stable network of social supports, economic stability, steady careers, independent housing, and emotional stability. And, yes, she'll be around to raise her progeny, because she is active, emotionally and physically healthy, and has a robust life full of extensive family, friendships, and networks. The loneliness of being older with children will dissolve over time when they connect with other older women in their situation.

When they delayed motherhood, chances are they avoided much older men with young children (like you) who tried to convince them life would be wonderful with him in it, that he was healthy and virile, and while that might be true, she built her own life without relying on a surrogate father for a relationship and becoming pregnant with an old man's baby and becoming his nurse ten years down the road. She dodged a bullet and the old man is still trying to convince the world he has the body and mind of a 35-year-old, at 55. LOL.
 LocaLexusLady
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2018 6:02:30 PM
As long as the kid is school age I wouldn’t mind. A baby though? No way
 ginghamgal
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2019 10:55:34 AM
Yes I would. It's not an immediate turn off. If the child(ren) cause any major problems down the road and we can't figure out a solution, then I can stop seeing him.
 project_adventure
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2019 8:33:25 PM
I would happily date an age-appropriate man, regardless of the age of his children. But I wouldn't date someone 20 years my senior under any circumstance, especially if he's just looking to sire more babies with younger women.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Would you date an older father of a young child?