Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Milking their glory days...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Strange Days
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Milking their glory days...Page 1 of 1    
I have a problem w/ some of these bands who are forever on tour or such, ask huge ticket prices, and give not much in return. Aerosmith, Kiss, Stones, just to name the big hitters. These bands keep releasing repackaged "Greatest Hits" discs w/ maybe one new track. Maybe Bono should give up politics and go back to rock and roll. U2 haven't made a great album in ten years. Still they tour...
Anyone else had enough?
 Karl the Hermit
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Milking their glory days...
Posted: 6/11/2007 11:20:32 PM
Oh, please don't get me started on my "bands that should board an airplane that's going to crash" rant...
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/12/2007 2:21:42 PM
Garden Party (Rick Nelson) Lyrics

I went to a garden party to reminisce with my old friends
A chance to share old memories and play our songs again
When I got to the garden party, they all knew my name
No one recognized me, I didn't look the same

CHORUS
But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well.
You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself

People came from miles around, everyone was there
Yoko brought her walrus, there was magic in the air
'n' over in the corner, much to my surprise
Mr. Hughes hid in Dylan's shoes wearing his disguise

CHORUS

lott-in-dah-dah-dah, lot-in-dah-dah-dah

Played them all the old songs, thought that's why they came
No one heard the music, we didn't look the same
I said hello to "Mary Lou", she belongs to me
When I sang a song about a honky-tonk, it was time to leave

CHORUS

lot-dah-dah-dah (lot-dah-dah-dah)
lot-in-dah-dah-dah

Someone opened up a closet door and out stepped Johnny B. Goode
Playing guitar like a-ringin' a bell and lookin' like he should
If you gotta play at garden parties, I wish you a lotta luck
But if memories were all I sang, I rather drive a truck

CHORUS

lot-dah-dah-dah (lot-dah-dah-dah)
lot-in-dah-dah-dah

'n' it's all right now, learned my lesson well
You see, ya can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself

Thatguy67
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 6/13/2007 5:43:21 PM
I saw the Who (what's left of them) last winter. Now there was a band that milked it and toured for years with almost no new full length studio album to show for it. But at this show, a good part of their set was from their 2006 album, "Endless Wire." I was in a section where many people were chanting "no new songs!" or had left to go to the bathroom.

The Stones are partially guilty of the greatest hits parade of releases but they don't own their catalogue before 1971. Again, having seen the Stones, not many were interested in hearing any new stuff.

It seemed like many of the fans at these shows wanted the milking.

The latest U2 "best of" I thought was pointless in light of those 1980s and 1990s retrospectives from awhile back. It was more annoying with "Window In The Sky" being tacked on. I like that song. I didn't want to buy it for just that one tune. I guess there's always downloading....

With all that said, if they can still perform and entertain in the twilight of their years, then why not? No one ever told Chuck Berry, Willie Dixon or BB King to go away when they got older.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Milking their glory days...