Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Who has been Ripped off by...mechanics...car dealers...private seller      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 The Ram
Msg: 1
Who has been Ripped off by...mechanics...car dealers...private sellers..??Page 1 of 1    
who has been RIPPED Off by...mechanics...car dealers...private sellers..

just one story, retold:

one of my passions, in life are cars...older cars usually... there's not much i will miss when doing an inspection for friends and family, and have saved A LOT of people, a LOT of heartache...
one instance, a "young asian guy" that asked for directions on the side of the road..... we got talking, and i asked him if he knew how much smoke his car was spewing out the exhaust....he said he bought the car 6 days prior!!! (fromwanneroomitsibishi....)
i had all the legislation on 2nd hand dealers and the rights of the buyer, for which, i wrote out explicit instructions for him, to ring the office of fair trading...
RESULT?
he approached the car yard with his complaint, but they just "went off", at him(probably because they knew they had been found out!!)...
so, he went through fair trading, and the motor was completely Rebuilt, at the cost of the car yard....!!

I LOVE THESE STORIES......
BECAUSE IT'S USUALLY THE OTHER WAY AROUND...

im sure there are heaps of other stories... let the game begin.........
 The Ram
Msg: 2
Who has been Ripped off by...mechanics...car dealers...private sellers..??
Posted: 6/14/2007 10:15:53 PM
story #2....

had a friends mother go in for a first service on her NEW car ...
on her way home, it started making strange noises, then overheated....and STOPPED!!
she rang the dealer, they sent a towtruck.....
after 3 hours waiting, and much finger pointing from the car dealerbigrocktoyota, they told her it had ran out of oil....!!!!!!!!!!
in other words, when they(an apprentice, usually) drained the oil, they forgot to fill it up with new oil..........!!
and they had the hide to say, " its filled up with oil now, it should be ok" !!!
after much arguing and threats of legal action, 3 weeks later, they replaced the engine with a new one....
only time will tell, if they really did.....
 NaamahReincarnated
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/14/2007 11:23:51 PM
Can I just interrupt you telling yourself stories there Ram...for a minute only, then I'll get out of your way...

One car I owned...the aircon started having trouble with consistently giving me cold air, and had these intermittent patches of warm air coming out of it. Next service I asked the dealer about it, and was told the compressor was on its way out and needed replacing. Lotsa dosh. So I decided to leave it go for the time being, given that it was coming into winter at the time, and I figured I could wait for a bit to do the work. A few weeks later I noticed the dashboard temp guage started constantly showing a high temperature, and oneday it shot right up to the dangerous level so I went to the nearest mechanic rather than my usual dealership. The guy had a look and said it was my engine's thermostat, and he asked me if my airconditioner had been weird lately because bits of the aircon system were actually adjacent to the engine bits that were getting really hot due to the faulty thermostat. So he replaced the thermostat, hundred bucks, and as a result the air con was 100% again. Nothing whatsoever wrong with the aircon compressor.

I wrote to the dealer, letting them know they'd been sprung telling me I needed work that I didn't need at all. They wrote back some garbage saying that what I said wasn't possible because of blah blah 40 years experience blah blah wouldn't cause that to happen blah blah and they stand by what they said about the compressor blah blah. But I drove that car for another 2 years and the aircon never played up once from the day the thermostat was replaced.

Needless to say, I changed mechanics.
 hilly1971
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/14/2007 11:35:46 PM
Many years ago i bought an old barina that turned out to be a cut and shut........held together with blue tack i reckon. Gotta love the magic mile!!
 serenex
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/15/2007 1:52:48 AM
I recently dropped a car off to a customer who bought it on the net alot of collectors stuff being bought sight unseen these days and this one being a nice hr holden well as you would expect the customer couldnt wait to get in and drive his pride and joy away .....I was packing my gear up and he went on his merry way down the road turned around came back past me smiling then i heard a loud bang with that smoke coming out of the motor well as you would expect much cursing and choice words ol mate wasnt very happy turns out the motor wasnt the one advertised but some doctored up piece of crap..............Buyer beware nostalgia is great but make sure you are getting what you pay for
 atalia
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/15/2007 2:21:40 AM
The first bloke who sold me a car offered me his back room to stay in, no charge, yeah right!!, if I couldnt make the payments for my new car.......... until my dad showed up, all 6ft plus, olympic oarsman of him hehe
 ClumsyOaf
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/15/2007 4:27:02 AM
I owned a Holden Dealer Team (Brock) Commodore, these cars are more or less custom built, individually numbered etc, hand built, blueprinted, balanced, ported engines blah blah.

My wife (now EX).....(read now EX) left it at a mechanics (for me to pick up), for a full service, with stuff that I had supplied, synthetic oil, high performance spark-plugs etc all the goodies, anyrate I came early, to find they had used none of the stuff I gave them, and they were halfway through taking ALL the original performance parts from my engine, replacing them with standard bits bought from wreckers, hoping they would not be noticed.

This was in the NT in the days before strict gun control, they had the most intriging looks on their faces when I said "Dont mind me I just need to get the licence paperwork for my shotgun, out of the glove-box....................I'll be back in two hours....dont go anywhere......"

Hence to say when I got back, my car also had a complimentary full detail..on the house of course..
 happyjen
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2007 6:56:04 AM
u mean two different cars cut in half to make one decent looking car?

jen
 happyjen
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2007 7:01:02 AM
I reckon majority of women that get ripped of by the motor mechanic more then the men?.

Think some mechanics think that majority of women do not know much about cars and prices for parts.

That is incorrect reckopn women are slowly getting smarter and cluey about cars.

What does everyone reckon?

jen
 ClumsyOaf
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/15/2007 7:11:31 AM
Nah just engine parts, a friend of mine, had mechanics try to pull wool over her eyes and charge her astronomical amounts to fix her car thinking shes an idiot, problem was she has a hobby.............car restoration,engine building, and perfomance mods...lololololol, should have married her lololololol
 saltytowers
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/16/2007 2:47:55 AM
Still happens. Most women dont know a bumper bar from a timing belt.

I recently took my car into a mechanic because right now I dont have time to do the bits and pieces. I had new spark plugs and dist leads in there and asked him to drop them on and chase up a slow leak (which I didnt have time to do) and told him it needed at least one new radiator hose and pls check them all and heater hoses plus head gasket.

Visit one. I think you need a new radiator.
Me. I cant afford a new radiator this week.
Result: "Repaired radiator" ie replaced O ring on one tank $180
Replace plugs and leads (my parts) and add MY coolant from boot
Total $370
Have you pressure tested the cooling system? Oh yes! Its good as gold (big smile)

Picked it up and not a drop of coolant in it. Obviously it leaked when I turned the key?

Back to mechanic (and presumably at his cost) and he now thinks its the water pump and so replaced that and only when I rang and asked HAD HE checked the radiator hoses and particularly the one I knew was on its way out, then changed that ONE radiator hose.

I left it overnight to let them see IF the coolant was still leaking out as it had been. rang next day from work. Did it leak? No. Have you pressure tested it? Yes.

Picked up car outside mechanics that night after work. Got in. Not a drop of fluid in it. Invoice in consol has details of replacement parts. Then a star below. Pls note HEAD GASKET LEAKING ON RIGHT SIDE!

ffs!

You send it in to get a leak stopped and they dont do the very things you asked them to, and it still cant be driven.

$530 later and still no new set of radiator hoses or head gasket. And I'd lay money on the fact the water pump was just fine.

Water pumps, O rings, hoses and sparks and leads I could do. Head gasket I cant. And I am sitting here wondering just why I took it to a mechanic.....
 Boho-Chick
Msg: 12
Posted: 6/16/2007 2:54:16 AM
I think basically everyone with a vagina has been ripped off by a mechanic at some stage. Those a$$holes.
 saltytowers
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/16/2007 3:36:08 AM
maybe I should recommend my mechanic needs the services of a gynochologist?
 marleymae
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/16/2007 3:54:27 AM
The last car I purchased seemed fine until about 6 months down the track.

I was looking at it one day and I thought, gee it look s faded on one side.

Yep, it was polished up for the sale and had actually been in an accident and had had a bodgy panel job. Car yard had since closed and there was no point in going back anyway.

It was 6 months down the track and the dealer would have only said that it could have happened since I purchased it.

Bloody wog dealers.

MM
 likes_a_laugh
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/16/2007 4:32:30 AM
Whoa there MM, easy on the wog thing girl! You might incite hate mail from the gricks, the eye-ties, the spicks, the frogs, the krauts, and all them other non-aboriginal australians...
 The Ram
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/17/2007 5:41:31 AM
pommy car dealers, in WA........THE WORST..........
wanneroomitsubishi,bigrocktoyota............................
 jannick06
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2007 5:46:50 AM
wog = worthy oriental gentleman
wog = wow orgasm greatly
my baby brother is a mechanic and he would never rip anyone off
he is agonizes over doing a good job
 NaamahReincarnated
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/17/2007 6:37:46 PM
I ripped a car dealer off, just for something different. My last car...the auto transmission went on it and all it would drive in was first and third gear. The mechanic who checked it over quoted me and it was just not worth fixing, so I decided to trade it in. Knowing I would get nowt for it if the auto transmission problem was apparent, and knowing the mechanic had cleared the fault from the car's computer, I did not drive it in D after that but used the 1 and 3 for the next week until I could find a car I wanted...so that the transmission fault did not reappear on the computer. I did the rounds, seeing what deal I could get, always making sure that I drove the car in for them to look over just in case they put it in D and realised the problem. I knew if anyone wanted to take it for a drive I was sunk, but they were all happy just to look and hook it up to the computer thingie etc. Got a fantastic trade, the higher end of the red book price on that car, and a mighty fine deal all round. For me anyway. And hey, if a car I traded happened to develop an auto transmission problem the moment it became the property of the dealer, then it's hardly my problem now is it! These things happen with cars sometimes.
 SergeantOz
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/17/2007 7:42:07 PM
I was in WA for 12 months and after 3 months of $7k a month for a hire car and fuel, my company refused to pay any more (I was extended for 12 months). We got car allowances so I bought a cheap $7k car with 11 months rego to use until I was going to go home. 1 month later the steering was playing up on right turns (axle I thought) so I decided I needed to offload this and be prepared to lose $3k at least.

Spotting a bargain 4wd with a I tested it and put a $500.00 deposit down only to agree to come back tomorrow with my car to trade in. At dinner, a colleague warned me to becareful as this dealer was a shonk who ripped customers off with trade ins and finance. Next morning I was so nervous I drove slowly up to the dealer who was waiting for me. He tested my car for 100 metres and reversed it back onto the road with no turning PHEW !!.

He ummed and ahhhhhhh before spotting the 10.5 months rego (spotting a deal for himself) and offered me $8k if I went with him on finance at 24%. I was glad to not lose $$$ on the trade in and agreed. Inside the office he took a phone call and his sales rep did the paperwork. Signing the bottom, I was asked if I was paying by cash or bank cheque to which I said CASH PLEASE and pulled out the balance from my jacket.

Seizing the opportunity, I grabbed both sets of keys and the papers and made my way to the new car to be stopped by the yard attendant who pointed out the Nissan accessories pack in the back, told me I had fuel and car wash vouchers and had told me he filled up the tanks for me (another $1k in bonuses for me). I think I left tyre marks leaving that dealer - only to see my old car on ramps with $12k on the windscreen 1 week later.

Another time, I decided to buy a crap car to drive to and from the station due to vandalism after dark. I looked at one car from a private sale and spotted something red under the exhaust pipe - they had used Coke cans to fix the exhaust and muffler so I decided to decline that deal - no matter how good it seems to be at the time.
 JulietJuliet
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/21/2007 5:14:15 AM

THE WORST..........
wanneroomitsubishi,bigrocktoyota............................

Yes Iv'e heard a few bad stories with regards to these two dealerships.
After the sale, it's a case of "Don't wanna know you" so they tell me.
 Leatheryman
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/21/2007 5:26:22 AM
I ripped a car dealer off, just for something different.

Naahmah, I have to take my toupee off to that one!

It's on my chest...can you see it?
 Faux Pa
Msg: 22
Posted: 6/21/2007 6:52:01 AM
Well just today I had an incident with a potential rip-off merchant.
I've been driving around with a d1cky alternator for a couple of weeks . . the dash light goes on and off randomly. I'd had the car at my local Auto Elec. when this first appeared but he was reluctant to do anything at the time. Of course it behaves perfectly when at his premises.

Today the dash light spent most of the day on, which meant the battery was not being charged. Modern cars don't like suffering a low voltage for long when they've got fuel injection, computers and all manner of electronic gadgets to think about. As I was in the city, I figured I might not make it home to my local guy . . . and wasn't in the mood for pushing it.

Anyway, I found a Auto Elec. close buy and asked him how much for an alternator. He said $240 fitted. I had to tell him I wasn't prepared to turn the engine off as it wouldn't have started again. lol
Well I took umbrage at the price bearing in mind that my local guy had said 'under $200'.
So I took off for my local Auto Elec. and arrived there with the whole dashboard flashing in protest at the ever diminishing battery voltage.
He replaced just the voltage regulator for $79 and I was off and running in just over an hour.
 rustystuff
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2007 6:47:50 PM
If you hear a car dealer say "city selection, country attitude" run like the wind in a north or south direction to the nearest city
 serenex
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/19/2007 7:45:59 PM
Hey Faux such a familiar story its easier these days to replace than repair alot of items in cars fault finding is sometimes too hard for some of these guys rather than spending a little time to find the actual problem
 butterflydream39
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2007 9:25:40 PM
I had my newish car serviced at the licensed dealer as it had to have a problem fixed under warranty.

The first time I went to check the water and oil in it after the service I noticed the engine cover, screws and also the electrical cover and screws missing.

Contacted the dealership and did not even get a return call. I guess this is how many treat female customers. The problem with me is I have grown up around cars with a Dad who is an absolute car nut and made me fully restore my first car myself.

So I called again. After the 4th call they promised the manager would call me back. I contacted their PR guy via a strongly worded letter. I got a response back saying the Manager of the dealership would ring me. I waited two weeks. No response.

Yet again after two weeks I rang the PR person who then called me back.

He told me the Manager had spoken with me and the parts had been ordered.

Why do they lie when they know they are going to be caught out.

So finally now the parts have been ordered and will be placed back on my vehicle. I certainly know I will not be getting the dealer to service my car again.
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Who has been Ripped off by...mechanics...car dealers...private sellers..??