Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Hippiedom      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bayrab
Msg: 1
HippiedomPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
last thread for awhile, I need to get away from this puter and do something real today, LOL

Am feeling a bit nostalgic today. Good gawd, does that mean I'm getting old when I start remniscing about the good old days?

Most of us here are children of the 60s and 70s. Did you participate in the hippie era or let it pass you by?

I jumped in with both feet all the way up to my Janis Joplin hairdo and black felt floppy brimmed hat.

It started my senior year in HS when my bf offered me a choice between going to prom or to a Jefferson Airplane Concert. well duh, the concert dude......had a great time and not a single nanosecond of remorse about missing prom.

Went to K-State, a basically aggie college cause I thought I wanted to be a veterinarian. Ended up an English major, but that's another story. Was one of about 12 hippies on campus, definitely in the minority. The soldiers at Ft. Riley coming back from VietNam were far more hip than most of the students on campus.

Drifted around a bit and ended up with a hippie man husband doing the back to the land thing in the great north woods of Wisconsin. Lemme tell ya, having to run to the outhouse when it's -30 is smack in the face reality, LOL. As is washing diapers in the Chippewa River!

Did that for 15 years, raised two boys, then decided to join the other world, finished college and joined coporate america for awhile. Gack! Money was great, but it was soooooooooo not me.

So here I am, back to a job where I can save the earth, or at least my little corner of it, listen to rock and roll, play with my horses and go with the flow...

and you??????????
 Augiedougie
Msg: 2
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/16/2007 12:17:04 PM
Unfortunately, I was literally just a few years late for the good stuff in the '60s; free love, protests, the great music and such.
When I got into my teens and could do something real what did I get? DISCO!!!!!! And people wonder why I'm screwed up!
 ORCAANNA
Msg: 3
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/16/2007 1:51:12 PM
I can relate as well. I still have my "love beads", given to me way back in the day. I wore grandma dresses, Ben Franklin glasses, combat boots,feather earrings,mood rings,long hair with bandana or headband,no bra, tie-dyed all my clothes by myself.etc.. No car, but hitched hike all over america and canada. Picked blueberries fo gas,indulged in mariquana and sold it, when a ounce of it was selling for10 dollars. I joined SDS( students for a demorcratic society), and did a lot of end the war in Vietnam marches and moratoriums. Did lot of concerts when admissiom was just either free, or a can of corn. Grateful Dead concerts, higher then a kite, and blowing soap bubbles, with the groove of jerry garcia's guitar......Free Love- remember that?? The first time I heard a guy ask me if I wanted to Ball- I actually thought he wanted to play ball. Ahh those were the days my friends!!!............Disco killed it all.
 bayrab
Msg: 4
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/16/2007 1:57:36 PM
LOL, I'm not the only crazy hitchiker out there. Gaaa, what a memory. Hitch hiked all across the country. Wouldn't do it today, but it seemed ok at the time.

Yeah, disco killed it all. But I was in northern Wis and missed the whole disco thing while I was being Ms. Mother EArth, LOL

chris
 aNgeLiCbLoNdiE
Msg: 5
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/16/2007 2:04:30 PM
I like it all////my nick name is Disco Hippie Chick! given to me 10 years ago by a friend's daughter...I liked to wear hippie-ish clothing out to dance clubs, LOL!

I remember hippie music & stuff when I was a lil girl, I had the mod era Barbies & Francie dolls & all the groovy clothes. When I was older, Disco infiltrated & I enjoyed both genres. Disco was for dancing, rock was for listening & smoking to

The BeeGees successfully had songs that fit both genres

I cut school in High School to go see The Jefferson Airplane in Central park, was a free concert. My 1st one.

When I was a senior in HS, me & my friends went to the Garden to see YES. The whole Madison Square Garden was a huge CLOUD OF SMOKE. If you breathed, you got HIGH!

Around 18, I dated a guy who got tickets to every concert in the NY area & I saw so many I don't remember 'em all...Linda Ronstadt, Heart, Steve Miller band, CSN, Roy Orbison, Chicago, Hot Tuna, Jethro Tull...I had clogs, earth shoes, gauze blouses, faded glory jeans....I saw Billy Squier about 5 years ago. I got be a groupie in his video "Big Beat" in 1980 & saw myself as a 21 year old in that video for the 1st time this year in a popular video site You something!

I remember the day John Lennon was killed...
Smoking pot just made people happy & mellow & gave them the munchies..whereas the drugs of today seem more addictive & violence-provoking!

I was lucky to live in the NYC area & be exposed to all kinds of concerts & hippie stuff, like the Village etc. I bought weird food at Balducci's & went to the exotic flavor Ice Cream shop & got Ukrainian Rose Petal! I also remember Laserium at the Planetarium!

Also, the Son of Sam was loose & we all were scared & cops were all over the place...sigh...mixed memories!

Ah, I think I need to visit NYC...
 cdn_guy
Msg: 6
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/16/2007 2:29:00 PM
Yeah, these nostalgia threads are always nice to be part of -- time does have a way of deleting the bad and saving the good, donut ??

I went to England when I was 16 in the summer of '67 and stayed a block from Carnaby St. Well, that did it for me. I came home, left my parents home, moved downtown to a communal house with about a half dozen other people (we could never tell who actually 'lived' in that house). A year later, I left school in a band truck to head out on the road to be a 'rock star'. Those were good years for sure ... but there was a lot of sadness, as well. But most of us don't remember too well the friends we lost to drugs, to war, to racial violence and things like that. As I said, time (mercifully) erases a lot of those things from our memory. But yeah, I was a hippy -- hair just above my butt, flaired leg jeans with a butterfly sewn on the leg, suede leather fringed vests that I made myself, beads, water pipes and the decadent, somewhat destructive lifestyle of the 'road' musician. I've never wished to return to any part of that lifestyle, but I sure am glad it was once part of me -- and most importantly, that I lived through it. Far too many of those I knew at the time did not.

cdn guy
 Mairenn
Msg: 7
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/16/2007 2:35:02 PM

It started my senior year in HS when my bf offered me a choice between going to prom or to a Jefferson Airplane Concert. well duh, the concert dude

O My Gawd ! Bayrab....not something I like to admit, but for me it was Alice Cooper at Plattsburgh State U instead of my prom. No regrets really except that we didn't really have tickets and just kind of figured we could sneak in. My BF made it inside, I ended up getting caught and spent the show outside the gates - LOL.

We were crazy, wild and had a ball every day and every night. We were a lot crazier than my daughter ever was, thank goodness !! You really got me thinking now.

I loved the clothes, the way long bell bottoms with the frayed ends that your sandels walked all over, the long tops, the straight very long hair hanging down the sides of our faces so all you could see was a nose peeking out, the concerts, the riding around in cars with 10 of us all packed into a little Cricket (anyone remember them?) with the music up and puffing on whatever....

Fondest memories of the best time of my life. Thanks for the post!
 Byrd
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/16/2007 2:49:48 PM
Used to go up to Eagle River with the folks when I was a kid..Vacation. My daddy was a total redneck hated longhairs and everyone else he was like Peter Boyle in the movie"Joe" But in 68 during the DNC riots my daddy saved a black man from the Klan...My brother in law was in Nam and my uncle was protesting with Cesar Chavez in Deleno and Salinas..My dad passed on and I hit the road hitchin all over alot of good rides some bad a hall of alot of smokin tokin and alittle of that too.....Got frostbite on my leg almost lost it..Disco UGH Worked at one near Chicago for acouple weeks till I got caught weating the Loop, "Disco Sucks Rock and Roll" Tee shirt under my Nimbus Disco tee shirt....Well I did acouple other things too..
 dhubsith
Msg: 9
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/16/2007 3:33:11 PM
I did a lot of hitch-hiking back in the day. A lot of trips back and forth between Nova Scotia and Ontario, and one marathon trip from Nova Scotia to Vancouver. Met a lot of really neat people, and a few that were dangerous. I wore an old AMERICAN army jacket that had probably been in Viet Nam. I still have it, threadbare and in shreds. I also have the hand-made peace sign I got around 1969.

I never was political, never took part in marches or demonstrations. I didn't have to deal with the Vietnam war because I lived in Canada, and there was no draft. I wanted a job, an apartment, a girlfriend, a car, and a guitar, not necessarily in that order. Politics were someone else's problem.

I loved the music of that era, and still listen to it. Saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, never saw them live as a group but I did see Paul and George (separately) at Maple Leaf Gardens. There were a LOT of good concerts there, the first one I saw was Johnny Winter on New Years Eve, 1970, and he was AWESOME! Others that played the Gardens in the early 70's....Stones, Who, Pink Floyd, jethro Tull, Santana, and Eric Clapton. Never got to see Jimi Hendrix or John Lennon, to my eternal regret. I did go to the Strawberry Fields festival at Mosport race track, Canada's answer to Woodstock.

I feel now that we really didn't know or appreciate what we had, and we let it slip away.
 Debbishoe
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/16/2007 5:23:01 PM
I was one of the 'flower children' in the East Village of NYC. Spent many nights at the Filmore East. I'm so glad that I got to experience that period, and I'm glad I lived to talk about it! Guess I never totally left because now I live in Woodstock. Still plenty of hippies here!
 Robin4wheels
Msg: 11
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/16/2007 5:25:36 PM
Yep. Absolutely the peace, love and mother earth hippie.
Traveled over 6,000 miles in a hippie caravan, camping.
Woodstock.
Communes
etc. etc. etc. ~smile~

Got a log cabin out in the woods when it came to child rearing time. Popped out all my kids naturally.
Raised them well. Country-hippie style ~smile~.
They're wonderful adults now.

And Mom is still known to wear a flower in her hair.

Life was good.
Life is good.
Life will continue to be good.
~smile~
 MapleSweet
Msg: 12
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/16/2007 5:33:35 PM
Good thread bayrab! That was such a fun era to live through. I was nicknamed 'Mother Earth','Zeke', and 'Zikki' (which is still the name I often sign artwork with); I never asked for the tags, they just evolved. Mother Earth was from people who wanted to learn about old time remedies and picking wild edibles, and Zeke & Zikki because nobody could pronounce my last name that started with a Z. 40 years later I still have the Zeke & Zikki tag depending on what group of people I'm with, lol. I had Crystal Gayle hair, almost to my knees, and of course wire rims.

Besides my career as a nurse back then, my life mostly revolved around music and art. I wrote songs for some local bands that played in the area; I lived and breathed music. I took drum lessons then, and sang my little heart out at different events. I miss those days, lol, now I only sing for my grandson and the dog. The music was SO awesome back then, Led Zepplin, Hendrix, and all, music was my own personal stairway to heaven, that part I still held on to over all the years. I don't have any more of the love beads I was given, but I still have this giant plastic peace sign that used to hang in my window. I lost a lot of my classmates in Viet Nam, and quite a few of my friends came back as changed people from post traumatic stress. The era had a lot of warm memories, but a lot of melancholy ones too. "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end, we'd sing and dance forever in a day..."
 oggers
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/16/2007 6:06:39 PM
I was around in the hippie era, and the various summers of love ... but being a 10 year old kid in northwest UK with working class parents , I think it passed me by somewhat ..

but by 14 I was a greaser / gimp / long haired / trenchcoat wearing / Quo album carrying / rebel without a clue .........
 TrailRider1
Msg: 14
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/16/2007 6:36:19 PM
I wish I could go back to those days...I grew up in Montgomery County, MD, (next to DC) and went to Georgetown Univercity to the coffee house every weekend. Use to wear hip hugger bell bottoms & fringed vests and headbands. I had my hair long and parted in the middle and wore love beads & mood rings and made leather wrist bands. Played a little guitar and sat under the Monument in DC and played w/ a group of "hippies". There were the "Greasers" & the "Hippies" wars then, too...half were greasers & the other half were hippies. Use do do LSD and mesc and lived off of pot. Boy, how did I ever survive??? I used to go to all the protest under the Washington Monument and went to lots of free concerts then, too. Battle of the Bands was a regular weekend get together in DC. Use to hang out in Georgetown at nights and panhandle for cig money. Quit smoking since then, thank the heavens!! Georgetown had all the crazies, at every corner, people dressed up in all kinds of crazy things...just like the French Quarters in N.O. Boy...now that I think about it...what a life!! I sure was a hippie!!
 lfrs
Msg: 15
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/16/2007 6:49:47 PM
Wore Jeans, of course, and lots of the 'mod' culture clothes, too.........mini skirts, wire rims,bell bottoms.....feathers.......beeds......yep, it was my time......
After ALL, I was a kid at the time....the Music was GREAT!! But at the same time, I Had to get my education, so didn't do some of the things the 'hippies' did until I got out of college............
Free Thinking and Challenging the Norm.......that is what came out during that era...Vietnam was a Shame and how it was handled..........
Many of us stood up to plate to fight injustice and backward thinking.....
I am GLAD I came up during that time.........
Independent Thinking a thing of the Past Now......every one wants to be like everyone else now..........

MapleSweet
Msg: 16
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/16/2007 7:25:59 PM
Wow! They still sell earth shoes! Yippie! Man, those things were comfortable, kept the calves toned too. I think almost everybody had a pair of them back then. Thanks trailrider. Didn't know that Ottawa had a bluesfest either...you Canadians have some neat events going on this summer. Maybe this old hippie chick should polish her wheels and save up some gas bucks, lol!
 bearwoman1959
Msg: 17
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/16/2007 7:50:13 PM
I caught the hippie train by the caboose. I went to see The Guess Who and Blood, Sweat, and Tears when I was 11, in 1971. I had hair to my waist, and I had a waist then. Didn't anybody here besides me ever wear moccasins? I wore out about 4 pairs between '72 and '74. I stopped wearing a bra when I was 14, and now they're hanging to what used to me my waist, lol. I was never into The Grateful Dead, instead it was Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, and Grand Funk Railroad. Smoked plenty of ganja when I got older, quit everything, but still listen to alot of the old music. My kids will even tolerate some of it. Man, I want another pair of moccasins, they were comfy.
 bayrab
Msg: 18
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/16/2007 7:52:16 PM
anyone besides me listen to Alice Cooper's radio show at night???????????
 bearwoman1959
Msg: 19
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/16/2007 7:58:36 PM
I used to listen to Alice when I lived somewhere else a few years back. We don't get it where I live now. He's a good DJ, tells interesting stories. Jeez, he's been around forever. Other than a few wrinkles, he still looks the same, how he do dat?
 TrailRider1
Msg: 20
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/16/2007 8:13:36 PM
it's called .... money!
 Byrd
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/16/2007 8:36:22 PM
I'm more a hippie now than I was then and I'm stoned as hell too I've been picking up old CD'S Led Zepplan, Iron Butterfly, Hot Tuna it all sounds soooo good Robin Trower. I hunt them out in thrift stores and music clubs....I saw War in concert for a buck, Don Mc Clean for 3.00 at the University of Chicago..Kansas, REO Speedwagon, Bullangus, Machoney Rush, and Ethos, for free...
 Robin4wheels
Msg: 22
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/17/2007 3:31:31 AM

Didn't anybody here besides me ever wear moccasins?
Oh gosh yes, the lace up almost to the knee moccasins. Since then, I'm Burkenstocks.

Being a 'hippie' was a state of the heart and mind for me that I carried on through my life, hence it was why I bought that log cabin mentioned on page one and continued to live as 'naturally' as possible through the child raising years. I can say I never fell into this category then OR since:
......every one wants to be like everyone else now......
I was always out of the 'norm' and I'll stay thataway. Bury me in my jeans with flowers in my hair..LOL.
 dhubsith
Msg: 23
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/17/2007 7:03:03 AM
I used to wear moccasins in the summer, did that for years, but that came to a screeching halt (literally!) after I stepped on a nail and drive it nearly through my foot (and yeah, I went down and got a tetanus shot). After that I've been more careful about protecting my feet, at least the soles. I wear sandals now in the summer, Propet running shoes in the winter (am I the only one that has trouble finding size 10 EEE shoes?

About the war thing....I would STRONGLY encourage everyone to find an alternative source of news besides what you find on American TV and radio news shows and American newspapers. There are lots of good sources of news online, my favorite is the Asia Times (www.asiatimes.com) but there are a whole host of others. I have a free-to-air satellite tv system, it only cost about $300, and I get some very good news shows in English; Russia Today and the infamous Al Jazeera are 24-hour news channels, there is also the BBC and Deutch Welle, and a good one from China. You can get a more balanced worldview if you are not continuously exposed to a single viewpoint.

I have a lot more I could say about war but this is the wrong place and the wrong thread.
 talksalot02
Msg: 24
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/17/2007 8:24:18 AM
It was such an innocent age, no deadly STD's, no crackheads, just love and peace and living off the land.

I still live by that philosophy, all but the free sex, of course.
 RussetAutumnRose
Msg: 25
Hippiedom
Posted: 6/17/2007 9:45:15 AM
I was never a hippie, but for me it was Bob Seger, CCR
The Who, The Guess Who, Janis Joplin, to name a few. I remember concerts in the park, and getting a contact high. To this day, I remember the smell of pot. That smell would get all in your hair and clothes, just from being there!

But mostly, I remember the music, and being transported to another place....just rockin' to the beat and letting the music flood my entire being...rolling with the flow.

My friends all said I had a natural high, because I had more fun than anyone, and didn't do drugs or alcohol. I still have my natural high, but man oh man! In those days music was music. Some of it still is.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Hippiedom