Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Missouri  > Is it fair to "date" when I know I'm getting deployed to Iraq?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 adamsailor
Msg: 1
Is it fair to "date" when I know I'm getting deployed to Iraq?Page 1 of 1    
Hi everybody, I'm newly stationed in Missouri, but will only be here until next spring, when I deploy for Iraq (I'm in the Army). I'd like to meet that certain someone, but I feel guilty looking for her when I know that I'll be leaving for over a year to go to war. So I've been hesitant about really trying.

What is your opinion?

Thanks,
Adam
 Geneseo
Msg: 2
Is it fair to date when I know I'm getting deployed to Iraq?
Posted: 6/19/2007 6:58:35 PM
That is a dilema.

My first thought is, that not only is it unfair to her, but it is unfair to you as well. Imagine if you met the perfect someone, and had to leave to go to another country to fight a war. Would you really want your mind to be at home with her, or there with you?

My second thought is, that you are about to go to a quite unpleasant place, so why not live a little first.
 Admiral Mac
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/19/2007 8:05:28 PM
As long as you are honest with the ladies you go out with about the likelyhood of your being deployed, I don't see the problem in dating. If they want to go out with you knowing you will probably be leaving for an extended period of time, that is their choice. If something happens, it happens. Be responsible and be honest. My Father met my mother while training in the Airforce and married her just prior to shipping out to Korea. They are still together which is more than my ex (whom I met/married after coming home from Germany) and I can say. Plenty of folks overseas now have someone back home. Sometimes the thought of someone back home can keep you grounded and give you a reason to keep going and make it back yourself.
BTW, Thank you for your service to your country! Stay safe and good luck.
 meoowie
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/20/2007 4:15:37 PM
good statement mac.

being up front and honest is the best, though not always popular, thing to do.

she, as you, is an adult and can make her own decision. i remeber reading/hearing of many in the service that could withstand the afuwlness of war because they knew they had someone back home who was special and waiting for them.

just be and stay honest.

katte
 havgreeneyes
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/29/2007 5:00:15 PM
Be honest......... then go from there......
You never know, you just might find that girl who will wait on you.....
 jazzie70
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/9/2007 8:37:51 PM
My thoughts are this.. you never know when or where you are going to meet that special someone. Life doesn't come with a handbook. Mac is right, just be honest and see what happens. Friendship first. It takes time to get to know someone. But if her heart is there and yours is too, why cheat yourself a beautiful thing??
Show ALL Forums  > Missouri  > Is it fair to "date" when I know I'm getting deployed to Iraq?