Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Proud to be British      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 piewhacket
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Proud to be BritishPage 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I am totally proud to be british, but I think you might find we have minority voice in this country - ouch!!!!
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/3/2007 12:38:15 PM
If you choose to wear a symbol that has been used by some of the worst people in our society you have to accept the risk that you will be taken for one of them

I do not believe in pride in nations. Britain has dome some wonderful things and some terrible ones, nationalism usually leads to atrocities....
 trooperbill
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/3/2007 2:28:05 PM
Im proud to be English. couldnt give a natts chuff about being british and especially not part of europe. im concerned that the national identity is being eeked away... im no BNP supporter either theyre loons... i'd just like to feel that its OK to be English whereas at the moment its a dirty concept.
 bootielicious
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/3/2007 2:36:10 PM
I do some work doing a survey on the phone. It's quite lengthy and there are some very thought provoking questions on there, however the question that people get most stumped on is, 'What ethnic group do you belong to?' I get some weird and wonderful answers, such as... caucasion, catholic, christian, white, and .... blank NOWT as in Urgh? Then some times I get people who tell me categorically not to put them down as British as they are ENGLISH.

Apparently we're not allowed to say nationality any more, as it leaves out a section of the community that does not come under this, which I guess is true, but is leaving a lot of people confused.

I do have a vest top that has a union jack flag on it and it comes out when England are playing for the World Cup and i've served 3 years in the army, so I guess i've got to be proud to wear that uniform!!!! I'm proud of aspects in truth and I love the landscape I live in, even when it is flooded and Herefordshire strawberries are scrummy!!!!
 trooperbill
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/3/2007 2:43:03 PM
fuzzy: i think we're made to think its a dirty concept by being constantly bad mouthed in the international media.

i also put Jedi Knight on the census as my religion last time round lol.
 MiltonDG
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/4/2007 2:26:05 PM
Being British is totally sh1t, we are a racist intolerance and self centred nation, we think we are better than any other nation, and we believe we own the world. I'd rather be anything than British!
 bootielicious
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/4/2007 3:00:47 PM
I think I would rather be a lady bird, I would be my favourite colour (red) have a cute polker dot thing going on, I would be able to fly and if someone picks me up I can pee on them before flying off to save my children from a ficticious fire!!!! Excellent!
 bootielicious
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/4/2007 3:47:45 PM
Ohhhh Student Nurse, you just made me think. My vest has the St. Georges flag, not the union jack so I need to retract that statement. I used to have an English football shirt too that was bought for me, but a jealous woman did nasty things to it so I don't have it any more. :(
 London Lass 59
Msg: 42
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/4/2007 7:19:16 PM
I am an ex pat living in the USA, but I am still very proud to be British, and I make sure that everyone knows it!! I don't have a union jack t-shirt, but I have one on my key chain!!
 iamasiam
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/6/2007 4:31:20 AM
Can someone define what is means to be proud of nation X?
I hope people realise that in the end countries are just made up. Does a bird give a damn which country it is flying over, does it need a passport?
 London Lass 59
Msg: 73
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/6/2007 6:37:18 PM
How can anyone loose respect for their own country? I can't understand. Surely if things aren't the way we want them, it's better to try and change things then to give up hope...
If I hated a country that much, I wouldn't live there. Simple.

Very well said Lisamarie!!! I live in the US, but for different reasons. I was born and raised in the UK, that will always be my home.......
 London Lass 59
Msg: 76
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/6/2007 7:24:14 PM
Oh, I think I like this forum, things are heating up, some very interesting views and interpretations!
 oggers
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/7/2007 3:35:15 AM
Proud to be British ? Hmmm, let see .........

Proud of all the tossers and nobbers that are hell bent on binge drinking and fighting every night. Even our lovely English Roses . Town centres are places to avoid at night these days ..

Proud of the fact that we are the most spied on country in the world , with more cctv cameras per head than anywhere else .. They reckon that in an average day, a Londoner will be on cctv 350 times a day ........ thank god they shelved the plan to put listening microphones on lamp posts ! ( for now, anyway ... )

Proud of the fact that the BNP have hijacked our flag and use it to stir trouble in sensitive areas ( warrington bloke .. this is why you are advised not to wear it in a predominantly Asian area of Rochdale.)

Proud of the fact that we in our country allegedly pay more taxes here than any other country in Europe... and the services we receive in return are being eroded more and more each day

Proud of the fact that President Blair dragged us into a war that we dont want to be in, and invite fanatics to try to blow up car bombs outside night clubs and airports ..

Proud of the fact that we let ANYONE so called seeking asylum here , even those that cross 5 or 6 safe countries to get here , because our benefit system rewards them so well, at the expense of the indiginouos population .

Proud of the fact that the " politically correct " police have gone beyond sensible limits and reached ludicrous proportions, did you know that it is an offence to even THINK certain things ..??

Proud of the fact that the population of this country have become totally self centred and money focused, caring for our neighbours in times of need has largely disappeared . Think looting of flooded homes in Hull and Sheffield ( two weeks after the rains... )

Proud of the fact that our society has slipped so far down the slope that our beloved leaders now see it as essentail that our kids should be taught manners and good behaviour in a specifically structured manner in our schools in future. WTF ?! Is this not what PARENTS are supposed to do ? School has to do it because too many parents dont give a sh*t what their kids are up to .

Proud of the fact that the liberal loonies have so much of the whip hand these days that the criminal has more rights than the victim of crime ( just ask anyone who has hit a burglar ... )

I am British (4 grandparents , one each English Scottish Irish Welsh) and I am proud of what our nation stood for fifty years ago , when we stood up to tyranny in Europe, when our society had values and more respect for each other (yes , even in council housing estates) . When our sports teams at least put up a fight .. !!

I'm not sure that I am proud to be British anymore ... a lot of the above cannot be changed by the ballot box , and when I think of what this country will be like in another 50 years, it is frightening ............
 iamasiam
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/7/2007 3:47:51 AM

i am proud to be English and proud to be British and yet i am not proud to be European at all. i am proud to be a citizen of the world, but i am not sure it is a reason to be proud.
iamasian i am not sure of the relevance of the bird in this arguement, i mean i do understand the point that you are making, but birds are not really comparable to human beings. they do not come and queue at the welfare offices, they do not carry weapons, they are not normally terrorists. much as i would love to agree with you in your idea of utopia and a world without borders it will never happen. man has never been capable of uniting in such a manner even in times of world war some countries side with each party and some remain neutral.

lol, utopian? I've not mentioned that. All I have said that concepts such as countries are irrevlent in the grand scheme of things. A natural disaster, a astroid is not going to give a damn which country it targets.
And the thing about the bird, well I was in the train and two pigeons decided to hope a ride in the carriage for the next stop. Lazy birds. lol

Also no one has yet told me what it means to be proud of nation x. As such some people lack a clear definition they get it confused with ideas such as nationalism.

Are not countries just big football teams in the end?
 HippyJohn
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/9/2007 1:24:27 AM
Oggers.... I totally agree with you. I have travelled extensively and am proud of the fact that I can mix well in most of the Cultures I have experienced. I say most because I do find some other cultures to be repressive to their own people too but I still get along with the peoples.

Unfortunately, we are seen as a beer swillin' Nation of football hooligans who blindly follow America as it's lapdog. For the most part I am proud to be British but I am not proud of the ignorant British holiday-maker who struts about ordering native peoples around like slaves and calling them foreign b*st*rds. Hey People.. Wake Up! If you are abroad it is YOU who is the Foreigner!

I am ashamed that the English Flag has been usurped by Racist Scum.
I am ashamed that we celebrate St Patrick's Day but not St George's Day.
I am ashamed that most of the people who complain about this country seem to be the one's who do not Vote.

Viva La Revolution!
 The Ram
Msg: 94
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/11/2007 8:43:37 PM
RE, your post:

<div class="quote">Yeah I was in a bar in Rochdale a month ago and a**** doorman said if I came again with my shirt on I would be banned so I said I think in that case I will take my business elsewere and left. Its worse in Manchester. My asian mate told me it isn't safe to wear a union jack shirt there. I have to agree with him, although we went to places were whites are a minority and they think am being arrogant wearing it.

you poor guy...if you were in Australia you'd be welcomed...maybe given a little teasing over the underachieving "cricket team", but thats all...

well mannered POMS are usually welcomed here with open arms.....afterall, Aust is just "another" shire of the UK , isnt it??hehehehee
 HippyJohn
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/22/2007 8:51:12 AM
To Rory the Geordie and Dragon Fire (Ok, Fire of the Dragon). I'd say the man puts Welsh because he's Proud to be Welsh. We should all be proud of where we're from but not to the detriment of others. I live on Barry Island and many of the people in the area say they "Hate" the English (but I'm Ok 'cos I'm "Our John"). Prejudice is learnt, it is not a natural way of life.

Bore da.

John
 dancingdavec
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Proud to be British
Posted: 8/30/2007 2:37:52 AM
An incident occurred in a supermarket recently, when the following was witnessed:

A Muslim woman dressed in a Burkha (A black gown & face mask) was standing with her shopping in a queue at the checkout.

When it was her turn to be served, and as she reached the cashier, she made a loud remark about the English Flag lapel pin, which the female cashier was wearing on her blouse.

The cashier reached up and touched the pin and said, "Yes, I always wear it proudly. My son serves abroad with the forces and I wear it for him".

The Muslim woman then asked the cashier when she was going to stop bombing and killing her countrymen, explaining that she was Iraqi.

At that point, a Gentleman standing in the queue stepped forward, and interrupted with a calm and gentle voice, and said to the Iraqi woman:

"Excuse me, but hundreds of thousands of men and women, just like this lady's son have fought and sacrificed their lives so that people just like YOU can stand here, in England, which is MY country and allow you to blatantly accuse an innocent check-out cashier of bombing YOUR countrymen".

"It is my belief that if you were allowed to be as outspoken as that in Iraq, which you claim to be YOUR country, then we wouldn't need to be fighting there today".

"However - now that you have learned how to speak out and criticise the English people who have afforded you the protection of MY country, I will gladly pay the cost of a ticket to help you pay your way back to Iraq ".

"When you get there, and if you manage to survive for being as outspoken as what you are here in England, then you should be able to help straighten out the mess which YOUR Iraqi countrymen have got you into in the first place, which appears to be the reason that you have come to MY country to avoid."

The queue cheered and applauded. :-D

IF YOU AGREE... Pass this on to all of your proud English friends..

I just did.............!!! What do YOU think?

Take Care
DaveC
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Proud to be British