Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Proud to be British      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 WarringtonGuy
Msg: 1
Proud to be BritishPage 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Just reading all the posts here and thought with recent events, I'd post something a lil more positive. Who is proud to be part of the UK? I'm very proud of my country and have a smart union jack shirt which I wear with pride (even though some pubs wont let me in with it on). I like our influential power around the world, our free speech and civil liberties, our generally high standard of living and our excellent military (second best in the world). We have the 5th biggest economy in the world too, and all this from such a small country. So come on "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" we love you
 misssummers
Msg: 2
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/3/2007 11:24:02 AM
Im proud to be part of the UK but unfortunately dont have a union jack shirt
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/3/2007 11:25:31 AM
I too am proud to be British ! I have a union jack bikini does that count???
 scratster
Msg: 4
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/3/2007 11:48:39 AM
Rule Britiania
 piewhacket
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/3/2007 11:50:58 AM
I am totally proud to be british, but I think you might find we have minority voice in this country - ouch!!!!
 sprite57
Msg: 6
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/3/2007 11:54:21 AM
Yes I love being british but dont wear anything with a flag on it.
 madchick
Msg: 7
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/3/2007 12:10:40 PM
Proud to be British - until October when we will have to call ourselves European.

Why can't the EU leave us alone?
 WarringtonGuy
Msg: 8
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/3/2007 12:10:49 PM
Yeah I was in a bar in Rochdale a month ago and a**** doorman said if I came again with my shirt on I would be banned so I said I think in that case I will take my business elsewere and left. Its worse in Manchester. My asian mate told me it isn't safe to wear a union jack shirt there. I have to agree with him, although we went to places were whites are a minority and they think am being arrogant wearing it. Whats the world coming to when a man can't show the pride of his country.
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/3/2007 12:38:15 PM
If you choose to wear a symbol that has been used by some of the worst people in our society you have to accept the risk that you will be taken for one of them

I do not believe in pride in nations. Britain has dome some wonderful things and some terrible ones, nationalism usually leads to atrocities....
 *~*Posh*~*
Msg: 10
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/3/2007 12:42:05 PM
Proud to be British .. wear the flag (rugby and football and have it on my reg plate)...if you don't like our flag, politics or beliefs, go back to where you came from and just blow yourselves up...at the end of we day we are British through and through and the rest of the newbies to our land are taking the piss.. live by our laws or go back to where you came from...
Its not like you were invited, we are a soft option, so you pick us, if we are so bad why are you here ????????? sorry I forgot, DHSS, nice house, and you can live off our state system whilst you plot to blow us up .......you make me sick............Go away... EVOLVE...and come back.......................................
 vin fourstar
Msg: 11
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/3/2007 1:00:07 PM
MSG 10
If you choose to wear a symbol that has been used by some of the worst people in our society you have to accept the risk that you will be taken for one of them

I fully agree, which is why I never show a hammer and sickle.

OT Of course I am proud to be British, although they seem to give the passport to anyone who turns up at Dover these days. Apparently, you fill in a form and hey presto! you are instantly British.

I fly the Union flag and the England flag, and as long as they are associated with my country, I will continue to do so.
 Heavennhell
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/3/2007 1:04:05 PM
I am proud to be English and I am proud to be British...

Im not so proud of some of the people we produce though but think our country is great.
 kisseylips
Msg: 13
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/3/2007 1:16:19 PM
Well I am proud to be Scottish, dont really see myself as British to tell you the truth but technically i am so dont have a lot of say in the matter lol
 Longshanks.
Msg: 14
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/3/2007 1:18:35 PM
I'm not proud to be British.

Proud to be English yeah but not British.

I say scrap the Union Jack!!!
 Badvok
Msg: 15
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/3/2007 1:25:28 PM
I'm quite impressed, this thread managed a whole four posts before someone started in with "oppressed minority" type comments, and of course then the floodgates open!

I am proud to be English, bit non committal on the British thing, but the Union has worked fairly well for most concerned, so I guess it merits a bit of pride.
 WarringtonGuy
Msg: 16
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/3/2007 1:31:58 PM
POSH4 I agree so much with your statement that I think you deserve a knighthood and a kiss hehe. For people who said they aint british but scottish, welsh or irish or what ever then what ever happened to being united as one? The welsh are the same, and I think we should all be close as one. If wales or scotland left the UK and became independant their economy would suffer.
 Bene elim
Msg: 17
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/3/2007 1:34:53 PM
Proud to be British?

Hmmm... I'll have to get back to you on that one.
 fuzzywuzzysavage
Msg: 18
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/3/2007 2:21:55 PM
WarringtonGuy,

its ok for people to say they are proud to be english, but not ok to say scottish, irish, welsh?

As someone said, nothing wrong with the union jack, and i dont think anyone is saying they dislike it, so no need for people to get on their high horse. But as we all know, certain groups highjacked the union jack, and tried to make it represent something evil and menacing, using it as a stick to beat people with.

I think that is starting to fall away now, and it doesnt have that identity as much now, and in many ways, the more ordinary people use the flag, the less it will be identified as a negative symbol, so in many ways your doing the right thing wearing the union jack with pride.
 trooperbill
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/3/2007 2:28:05 PM
Im proud to be English. couldnt give a natts chuff about being british and especially not part of europe. im concerned that the national identity is being eeked away... im no BNP supporter either theyre loons... i'd just like to feel that its OK to be English whereas at the moment its a dirty concept.
 fuzzywuzzysavage
Msg: 20
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/3/2007 2:32:38 PM
why do you think its a dirty concept?

Maybe this country is not perfect, but in Britain as a whole we have a lot that we can be proud of, compared to many, many, many nations around the world...

Another fact, we are still publish the largest number of book titles in the world each year....now that is absolutely amazing for such a small nation, but just shows how much of a powerhouse of creativity this country still is...
 bootielicious
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/3/2007 2:36:10 PM
I do some work doing a survey on the phone. It's quite lengthy and there are some very thought provoking questions on there, however the question that people get most stumped on is, 'What ethnic group do you belong to?' I get some weird and wonderful answers, such as... caucasion, catholic, christian, white, and .... blank NOWT as in Urgh? Then some times I get people who tell me categorically not to put them down as British as they are ENGLISH.

Apparently we're not allowed to say nationality any more, as it leaves out a section of the community that does not come under this, which I guess is true, but is leaving a lot of people confused.

I do have a vest top that has a union jack flag on it and it comes out when England are playing for the World Cup and i've served 3 years in the army, so I guess i've got to be proud to wear that uniform!!!! I'm proud of aspects in truth and I love the landscape I live in, even when it is flooded and Herefordshire strawberries are scrummy!!!!
 trooperbill
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/3/2007 2:43:03 PM
fuzzy: i think we're made to think its a dirty concept by being constantly bad mouthed in the international media.

i also put Jedi Knight on the census as my religion last time round lol.
 vin fourstar
Msg: 23
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/3/2007 2:54:29 PM
MSG 20
its ok for people to say they are proud to be english, but not ok to say scottish, irish, welsh?

You are assuming that either MSG 11 or MSG 17 stated that they think it's OK to be proud of being English, but that the Welsh, Scots or Irish cannot say that they are proud to be what they are.

Neither poster made that statement. Both of them referred to being British, not English.

Please don't read into posts that which is not there.
 redee2tryagain
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/3/2007 2:56:47 PM
Can you stop asking questions that make my brain hurt - please

So I was born in England - does that make me English? - if yes - good

I like celebrating Easter, christmas, saints' days, haloween (bit scary), snow, Father Christmas - does this make me British - if yes - good

So am I proud to be British, sometimes, depends if the football hooligans have been abroad.
 Harry Harmony
Msg: 25
Proud to be British
Posted: 7/3/2007 3:00:25 PM
Only one comment,no I am not proud to be english, when theres to many asylum seekers.immigrants over here. we re a small country,
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Proud to be British