Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Can the talking study be really true?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 blaqman
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Can the talking study be really true?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
There's a new study out that suggest the men run off at the mouth just as much a females. While not really an important finding, it did spark surprise. So my question s are 1- what do you think of the validity of the results? Secondly, have you ever been in a relationship where you partner seemed to talk too much?
 Fry Lock
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Can the talking study be really true?
Posted: 7/6/2007 8:57:42 AM
those people that did that study never talked to any of my exes; the last one is still talking...

Fry
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 3
Posted: 7/6/2007 9:29:35 AM
I was beginning to wonder if it was just me. A couple of the men I've been out with recently *definitely* talked too much. On the rare occasions where they actually asked me a question about myself, I was barely able to get a sentence out before they were off again with "that reminds me of the time when I ...". Don't they realize that a woman mainly wants you to show an interest in her? You can't do that if you spend all of your time together just talking about yourself. Okay -- I'm venting here.

Yes, I'm certain of the validity of the results. I'm finding those kinds of men all too much lately. And unfortunately, that's one of those things that doesn't show up through emails; you have to meet in person before you get the opportunity to see that your date is one of those annoying people who talks too much.

God yes, I thought it was just me too. I can be somewhat chatty at times, but wow - some of the men I've met in my travels in recent times have made me seem closed off and non talkative, and especially on the phone. Haha. What's up with that?
 scorpiomover
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2007 12:11:16 PM
I talk more than most women out there. Just look at my posts, if you don't believe me. I've written pages.

But as to running off at the mouth, there are men who do, and men who are very careful and precise as to what they say. It helps to be careful about what you say if you are talking to women. They can get loads of ideas from your sentences.

It's becoming more common for men to talk. I saw something in the paper that says for the first time, men talk more on the phone than women. Women apparently will email/IM/text their friends and save it for meeting in person.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/6/2007 1:26:26 PM

And dating on line is very situational. Isn't this partly representative of the mating dance? Men try to win a woman by impressing her etc. It's sales talk, showcasing his achievements and such.

Nothing makes me run faster from a guy than a sales pitch. His attractiveness, intelligence, "niceness", ability to win people over, etc etc should speak for itself. If he's gotta tell me, then he's not real confident about himself. No thanks.

It's becoming more common for men to talk. I saw something in the paper that says for the first time, men talk more on the phone than women. Women apparently will email/IM/text their friends and save it for meeting in person.

VERY true. I am into the bottom line. If I make plans with you on Monday for Thursday night - unless plans change or you or I run late, I don't want to talk to you again until I get there - I have friends who will call you 12 times before you see them, and by the time the day comes you don't want to talk to them anymore. If something does change, text, or e-mail me - that's sufficient.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2007 2:18:56 PM

Nothing makes me run faster from a guy than a sales pitch. His attractiveness, intelligence, "niceness", ability to win people over, etc etc should speak for itself. If he's gotta tell me, then he's not real confident about himself. No thanks.
A woman who actually realises that most men try to "sell" themselves to a woman to get sex? Very impressive, Betty.

P.S. I just realised where your name comes from: very clever. Also very, very untrue. The ugly bit, that is.

VERY true. I am into the bottom line. If I make plans with you on Monday for Thursday night - unless plans change or you or I run late, I don't want to talk to you again until I get there - I have friends who will call you 12 times before you see them, and by the time the day comes you don't want to talk to them anymore. If something does change, text, or e-mail me - that's sufficient.
Good to see. That's how I like to do it. Only managed it once, with someone. We arranged to meet the next week: date, time, and place. It was great. Could totally focus on my work for the whole week. In 3 days, I got more done than I'd done in 3 months. Very, very productive week. Makes me much happier to work that way.
 JWA
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/7/2007 2:42:28 AM

Hmmm....one sentence about the thread topic, and the rest of the page is about how she hates men. And here I was thinking that this thread was going to be about the number of words that each gender uses during the course of a single day....go figure.

I'm assuming this is about Msg #25? I was thinking the same thing! LOL Now "here" me out............I think that post was the best example of talking too much----the thought "STFU" comes to mind...............................

Seems the study itself is being ignored here and a lot of opinions about what's thought to be the difference in word count between the sexes------not sure if any of those really speak to the original question??

The study I heard about had discovered men and women tend to use approximately the same number of words in a day however the subjects of conversation were different. This isn't a huge revelation but I think it's one of the first times anyone has looked at this part of our daily conversations. Men would talk about tangible things like vehicles or sports whereas women talked about feelings and experiences. Men can and do become very enthusiastic about their "things" which leads to a lot of conversation and discussion about them; women share feelings and experiences with one another with the same net result.

This is just another of the differences we have between the genders and while somewhat interesting isn't at all judgemental----it's just how we're put together I think.
 beerchen
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2007 5:52:09 AM

those people that did that study never talked to any of my exes; the last one is still talking...

Sure, there are men who can't hold their breath for a second.

But for most experiences i have had, men seem to find it more difficult to talk about how they feel, what's going on in their life.

Ever feel like you have to keep talking to get the other person to say more then ok, yea, etc. ?
 sometimes_miss
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/9/2007 8:13:29 AM
O.k, found it. Volunteer subjects. Not a random selection. People who volunteer for studies aren't representitive of the whole group. The study is flawed from the start.

But other studies have come up with different results, and what came out was basically that we talk about different things, with different intentions. Women don't think they're overdoing it, neither do men. But get started on a topic that the other person isn't interested in, and continue a clearly one sided conversation and you can just bet the other person will think you talk too much.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/9/2007 8:33:03 AM
A woman who actually realises that most men try to "sell" themselves to a woman to get sex? Very impressive, Betty.

Most do that feel that their personality can't carry them in social situations, yes. I worked in media a long time, so maybe that's why I get that. In the ad business, you only pitch sales for two reasons: your product is either brand new or recently improved, or your sales are dismal.

I posted this in another thread somewhere, I don't remember - but once I had a guy tell me all women that slept with him fell in love with him so it was very difficult for him to maintain a casual lifestyle without female stalkers. So I thanked him for warning me that it could happen and told him that in light of that information, I would definitely avoid ever considering him since the last thing I needed was to fall in love with someone at that time. It wasn't the response he expected.

P.S. I just realized where your name comes from: very clever. Also very, very untrue. The ugly bit, that is.

Thanks for the compliments, however it is "ugly" in a way, at least to me. I just got braces, so in that respect I expect some social leprousy. Luckily my ego's strong enough to endure it. I'll more than make up for it when the braces come off. So far, it seems to be something I was totally off on - most could care less I have em. I assumed they would care, since I probably would if I met a guy with them. Shallow, but true. I'd keep his number for a year or two and call him back tho. LOL

Good to see. That's how I like to do it. Only managed it once, with someone. We arranged to meet the next week: date, time, and place. It was great. Could totally focus on my work for the whole week. In 3 days, I got more done than I'd done in 3 months. Very, very productive week. Makes me much happier to work that way.

I am not your typical female, so I end up meeting a lot of men who DO want to talk to you daily, even before a meeting. Luckily, I have voicemail and a subtle way of letting them know that I expect a reason when I get callbacks once a meeting has been set up...something to the effect of "Did something change? Are we still on? Oh OK so what's up?" They usually get the hint.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Can the talking study be really true?