Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Over 45 Men, How should we dress? OK Ladies fire away!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Celticmist
Msg: 3
Over 45 Men, How should we dress? OK Ladies fire away!Page 1 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)
jean and polo or nice shirt for casual and like Bayrab - nice pants, casual shirt and sport coat for more dressier occassion.

and never ever wear sandals with socks. If you really want me to crawl under the table - wear a Hawaiian shirt and a comb over
 c_deacon
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Over 45 Men, How should we dress? OK Ladies fire away!
Posted: 7/9/2007 3:35:45 PM
And here I thought my white legs looked so good in frumpy old shorts, black socks, and sandals, glasses hanging by twine from my neck, hair being combed to cover all my bald spots, and an AARP one size fits all hat on.........

OT.......I find most will look good in almost anything, if they are in decent shape, no beer belly, the right size for all your body parts, and somewhat in the know about what attire looks good on you and is in style.......

Just my opinion........
 Celticmist
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/9/2007 7:37:24 PM

#7 - don't wear pants that the waistband is at your breast bone
#8 - no highwater pants

Ksue you had me - pc screen got a coffee washing
 angelheart3
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/10/2007 1:14:30 AM
Casual as in jeans, t-shirt or polo shirt. even shorts would be fine as long as they are not so short that the twins play peek-a-boo (had that happen once and it was a very short date).

What is considered to be business casual puts me off. I associate that with work. Makes a first date feel too much like a job interview.

Worse date I ever had? hmmm...nicely dressed but evidently hadn't bathed in a while. Instant "bye bye" for me.

angelheart3
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/10/2007 5:41:59 AM

Just an observation, you understand ..

Oh absolutely...lolol
 lovin2blivin
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2007 5:49:31 AM
1. Deodorant was made for a reason, please wear it

2. Slapping on cologne does not replace a bath/shower

3. If jeans turned up at the bottom and an old T are your 'finer duds', I don't want to see the rest of your wardrobe, or lack there of

4. Leave all the 'bling' that you've been given from other 'partners' at home

5. If a 'cat's got you tongue', make sure you're clothes didn't get attacked in the process

6. Wear a smile, it doesn't cost much and it says a lot
 angelheart3
Msg: 27
Posted: 7/10/2007 6:14:31 AM
2. Slapping on cologne does not replace a bath/shower

I am so glad you mentioned that. Some of us are allergic to colognes (like me) and it really makes for a rotten date once a migraine sets in, or even asthma kicks up depending on the scented product used.
 moraima
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2007 7:10:27 AM
I dislike baseball caps. I would rather see a bald head than a baseball cap. I can't understand why anyone would like that they look good in them. They just look sloppy as in having a bad hair day.
 rossal
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/10/2007 8:12:51 AM
A suit.....cufflinks.....I know it is a lost art, but that is what turns me on....oh, and the shoes with the tassels.

If that is too much; then a sport jacket and dress shirt.

....and then...what Arugula just said; what a hoot!!
 moraima
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2007 9:13:22 AM
Hum..........women still wear panty hose? I seriously couldn't wear those things anymore.

I big turn off to me is men in sleeveless t shirts with skinnier arms than mine, or men wearing shorts when their legs are the tiniest part of their bodies.

Whether it is male or female, if you have an ugly spot best to cover it up unless it is 100F, then all bets are off.
 bullielover62
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/10/2007 2:48:54 PM
he he... Muskie, you slay me!

OT~
No athletic shoes.
No pants with pleats, EVER.
No cologne. Let her smell you, not a bottle of 'phew'!

Yes to jeans.
Yes to stylish shoes w/out white socks.
Yes to casual shirts, tucked in or out if you're trying to hide a belly.

Keep jewelry to a minimum.

Leave the cell phone in your car..... your Benz..... lol
 Nsrchof
Msg: 44
Posted: 7/10/2007 6:27:38 PM
[Just take all your clothes off, slap on an apron, and get your ass in the kitchen and whip me up some steak and french fries. Oh, and mix me a drink and hand it to me once you get the food on.]

Argula, that happen a lot at your place?
 jd28spot
Msg: 47
Posted: 7/10/2007 7:36:18 PM
How about a man's point of view? (Tough, you're getting it anyway)

I'm over 45 and couldn't give a rat's *ss about trying to "dress to impress"! I dress in the manner that pleases me......if you don't like it.....move on! If that's all you care about than I wouldn't want to be around you anyway. Too people people in this world try to pretend to be something or somebody they're not......and why???? Because they feel they must or he/she won't like me. BULL!!!! What happens after the 3rd or 4th date? I'll tell you......by this time you start finding out what's really underneath the facade. Why not just be YOU?

You folks can all live in your plastic bubble......I''ll just be me.....plain but real!

A few words of wisdom to you all: "Sometimes you find the prettiest bug under the ugliest rock"
 moraima
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2007 6:55:44 PM
Along with being well dress whether it be dress up or dress down, pleased be fleshly clean shaved. A major preference for me.
 talksalot02
Msg: 60
Posted: 7/11/2007 7:29:30 PM
All I know is that I quit dating a 41 year old once because he was really into sansabelt slacks. I took him out and bought him some nice dockers and shirts. He wore them only when we were together, and gave them away when we broke up. Funny thing is, everyone told him he looks great in them!

He just looked and acted like an old fogey, and I couldn't deal with it.
 betterlate
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2007 12:30:10 AM
Listen to your own heart and mind, forget the media and wear what you like, what is comfortable and clean. If it is clean and pressed, it will look good. Everyone that listens to the weirdos in NY or france that say this is sooo yesterday and this is the new rage and not realize that they are just selling or trying to sell you on their new..."original" (same as twenty years ago) stuff is caught up in the media hype.

Clothes are things we wear to cover our nakedness, keep us warm or cool.
They will be out of style soon
They will be back in style soon

Cars are things we drive to get from place to place, now more than ever they all look alike.

You can only drive one vehicle at a time, you can only sleep in one bed at a time, you can only shower in one bathroom at a time, you can only sit on one chair or sofa at a time. You can only live in one house at a time.

The advertising companies want to sell sell sell you their clients stuff because they make money, not because it s better than what you have, it is just that they want you to keep spending until you are up to your ears in debt and your garage is full of stuff, plus the storage unit, plus every closet in your house if full.

It is so much more simple to have fewer things, there is so much work to having tons of stuff...

Think about it.
 moraima
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2007 11:56:32 AM
I don't know what I would suggest for me. Tuck your shirt in, and leave in out, I am sorry but the tummy bulge and man boobs means no second date. I don't care how good the personality is, you can meet someone in good shape with a great personality just as easily.

Maybe it is time for man shift type dresses or Moo moos.
 Legs48
Msg: 76
Posted: 7/12/2007 8:17:14 PM
Maybe I'm weird but I'm attracted to guys who seem to have a style of their own- clothes that fit their personality and they're comfortable in even if what they have on isn't trendy or overly polished, and of course, is appropriate to the occasion/setting.. They could look casual( dockers, nice shirt) or outdoorsy( jeans, t shirts but not slumming) etc or dressier if we're going someplace that calls for it. I also like alternative/hipster/edgy- looking guys if that's who they are and it isn't just a self-conscious image that they're trying to project. If it fits the occasion and they look and feel comfortable and seem to have some idea of who they are it shows in the way they dress. What I find unattractive is a guy who dresses like he's deliberately trying to exude "macho"- shirts unbuttoned way too low, pants too tight, etc. or any look that says they're trying way too hard to impress or already think they're too hot to handle LOL Or the old man look- sandels with socks, sleeveless undershirts that show under too sheer shirts, shirts that cling in all the wrong places or pants up to their necks LOL I guess something that shows off his individuality and fits well is the best choice. Also, most guys over 40 look ridiculous in rapper/gansta type outfits and please NEVER speedos at the beach ( music from shower scene in Psycho begins ) And, unless we're going to see the Allman Bros. or something, clothes that aren't extremely grundgy or at the very least, are clean. At least for a first date LOL After that, if we hit it off you can wear whatever you want to. If I don't like it I'll just pretend I don't know you
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 84
Posted: 7/14/2007 1:00:43 AM
Dang! I jus' have this thang for men in bibs and blue dress shirts. Guess I'm outta luck, eh?

moraima
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2007 9:15:36 AM
I think that both men and women are often guilty of not updating their look. They get into a rut, and think that what looked good 20 years ago, looks good today. Styles change, and if we don't at least make minor changes in our styles, it can make us look much older than we would look with an updated style change.

I am sure that a lot of the facial hair worn by men today is because they got compliaments for it years ago when they were younger, and that was the style of the day. They have had it so long that it has become a bit of a mask. They may not have noticed that it is no longer in style. They may not have noticed that from a distance all people can see is a body that has aged and a face full of facial hair.

As we age, most of us need to play up our best features. A shirt that make eye colour sparkle and pop on a nicely shaved face can cause other people's eyes to focus on faces rather that the slightly fatter than we would like body frame.

Our bodies and faces aren't what they were 20 years ago. Why not wear newer styled clothing, hair style etc. so that we look more put together? Why emphasis our age by wearing styles from decades ago?
 Sexy1_4u2d8
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2007 9:23:44 AM
What a great thread and liked ksue44 and shoree's post among others! To add to this ..... nothing worse is guys wearing clothes that are too big for their body (due to loss of weight) . You don't have to buy expensive clothing to look good just check out the knockoffs or pickup some guys magazines or take someone who knows and looks good with you shopping :)
OT
sock and sandals
jeans that are pressed with a line down the middle ( sorry jeans are NOT dress pants!)
ripped or tattered t-shirts unless you're working in your garage/barn
white belts/shoes...yuck!

Dress for comfort and be YOU! Remember not to dress older like your grandpa!
 invictus07
Msg: 89
Posted: 7/14/2007 10:13:40 AM

white belts/shoes...yuck!"

but they weren't "white shoes" they were expensive white running shoes : )
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 90
Posted: 7/14/2007 10:52:38 AM

I so totally agree with moraima: Baseball caps as opposed to bald heads. Hey guys get out the bic and go to it. I prefer a bald head. I also love a man in good fitting pair of blue jeans and a clean dress shirt, long sleeves? Roll em up. It is soooooo sexy.
Glad your asking though gents.........it poves we have men out there who still want our opinion.

..Oh I totally agree, nice fitting blue jeans and and a dress shirt will turn my head every time. You can even add a sport jacket if you like.....and the question about boxers or briefs....Uhhh I need a visual.

...maeflowers
 moraima
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2007 1:21:18 PM
I kind of wondered when people listed short sleeve shirts as a no no. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with a short sleeve shirt and suitable pants/shorts on a warm day/evening depended on the event.

I certainly wear short sleeve blouses, and feel quite up to date with nice capri's in the warmer weather. If women can wear short sleeves, so can men.
 moraima
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 7/14/2007 2:27:14 PM
""wow"....a cowboy hat & boots!"

Depends on what part of the country you live in. Locally, the farmers don't even wear that kind of thing. If fact you can't tell a farmer from us non farmers.

Cowboy hat and boots would make it look like someone was going to a theme party.

Every now and again, new local male members post a photo wearing cowboy hat and boots............I just hope that they won't contact me.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Over 45 Men, How should we dress? OK Ladies fire away!