Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Have you've seen any benefits from a 95 cent Canadian dollar      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Seavoyage
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Have you've seen any benefits from a 95 cent Canadian dollarPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I am personally for a Trudeau like leader again or a Diefenbaker. I would rather Canada invest more in producing its own things. However, it is hard to do that. Bay Street won't have it. They are making so much money. The Canadian Government is too beholden to business groups tied to America. Mulroney shouldn't have accepted Free Trade and should have rather built the Canadian economy and helped encourage Canadian industries. It didn't happen.
 Seavoyage
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Have you've seen any benefits from a 95 cent Canadian dollar
Posted: 7/10/2007 5:46:46 PM
I think Canada is too tied to the American basket. Mulroney did Canada a serious disservice. As far as Canadians being sheep, it is no different than Americans being sheep as well. Essentially, the same kind of people control both Canada and America. I believe Trudeau was trying to diversify who Canada traded with other countries more and diversified, but his success Mulroney reversed all that. It was no surprise that Mulroney later was found on the board of directors of an American corporation. Canadians shouldn't have accepted NAFTA. It is a bad agreement and very unequal. Since the Canadian dollar is high, Canada needs more technologically based goods. I mean the Euro is high as well.
 Seavoyage
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2007 8:09:46 AM
Well, I am not opposed to free trade on the European model. Well, I prefer that Canada focus on the long-term and build more industries, invest in more technology rather than simply relying on the United States. I don't think putting your eggs all in the American basket is wise. Yes, it is great having a surplus with America. Canada has always had a surplus with America even before NAFTA. That isn't new. The high currency is affecting Canada because Canada is not being much of a producer country. Why not change that? The Europeans produce their own things and so do the Asians.

Canada is relying too heavily on natural resources when it has so many educated people. I am not for dismantling NAFTA, but I do question how it would improve Canada's productivity, encourage technological innovation. I think Canada is way too reliant on its neighbour to the South. The EURO is a high currency, but the Europeans are producers. It is true there are various trading blocs. However, in Asia it will take them a long time to have a real trading block due to the ethnic hatred that exist. Also, NAFTA does not seem to be even handed with the way we saw the disputes. There are people who question how NAFTA could place Canadian resources in the hands of foreigners. Partial investment is one thing and if there was equality between the U.S. and Canada on the European model then I would be enthusiastic about NAFTA. I agree it has benefits and that exports have increased overall when the Canadian dollar was not so high. The U.S. dollar has decline tremendously it is not so much that the Canadian dollar increased and that's that.
 Lil Red Riding Hood
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/11/2007 1:41:20 PM
I'm not seeing it. I shop in NY once a week and down there they are only giving us $0.83 for our money. The banks as well as the stores.

Im po'd to put it mildly.
 Engage-me
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/19/2007 11:37:43 AM
Hate to break it to you but the GST refund to visiting outsiders is a joke. I was in Toronto last Nov. (when I learned of POF) and since the government wants originals, if one is there on business and has to turn in receipts to their company (or for tax records) they are screwed. It is so much of a hassle most of us from down south give up and don't even bother.
 gizmosellschickens
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2007 3:25:37 PM
The Canadain dollars at 95 cents makes it cheaper to buy goods in the Untied States, and it cost more to buy goods in Canada, but if it was the 1970s before floating exchange rates a devalution would be preformed on both sides on the border to stick it back to China. China needs to float the yaun or else producers will ask congress or parliament to do it. Thier a bill floating somewhere asking for 27% traiffs on Chinese goods, and goverment should give tax writeoffs when you buy captial goods domestically. Chinese give production tax breaks to sell goods below production costs for export,. Why cant Canada or Untied States subsidise the prices of domestic made goods to allow producers to sell local goods below production costs to compete with the Chinese or Japanese made goods. Ricardo theory dont apply here, and Chinas rigging the game.
 Singlemaltgirl
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/23/2007 1:29:31 AM
if we're talking about percentage wise, the high loonie is not helping much for a number of high profile industries since those industries bank their profits on a favourable exchange rate. so while it may be nice for those consumers cross border shopping, for companies trading in natural resources like water, power, oil & gas, and forestry, having a high loonie des not help a company's profitability in those sectors.

as for those questioning why high end goods like cars and electronics remain cheaper in the us than in canada despite the change in exchange...one reason is that pricing is set on a periodic basis - ie, annually or semi-annually so prices are based on the exchange rates of 6-8 months ago rather than at present. i suspect that if the loonie maintains it's present course, we will see prices for some of those high end items come in line more with those across the border.
 Singlemaltgirl
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/26/2007 11:26:27 PM

So my question is the same for soft wood, water and electricity. Why is it they get to cry when the dollar is high and we the average citizen never gets a break.

glad you asked the question. why should big industry losing money due to exchange be a cause for concern for the average canadian?

well if you take softwood for instance, the industry directly employs over 10,000 people in the province in bc alone. it's also a major industry in alberta, ontario and quebec. since most mills are in smaller centres outside the big urban centres like vancouver, calgary, toronto and montreal, the wood industry indirectly sustains a lot of those resource dependent communities in a number of provinces. in bc alone, the tax revenues & stumpage from the wood industry provide enough $$$ to the provincial coffers to pay the annual education budget for K-12. when these industries undergo poor markets, the average canadian gets laid off. resource dependent communities undergo mini recessions and in some instances shut down altogether.

this is the way i see it - canadians being able to cross border shop (which incidentally only helps american business with canadian dollars) is not that great an advantage when canadians lose good paying jobs as a result of an unfavourable exchange rate. i'd rather have the jobs and the communities thriving than cheaper shopping. but that's just me.
 Politically INCORRECT
Msg: 38
Posted: 8/26/2007 10:20:55 PM

China: Now, that is a country that does not in any way, shape or form, follow patent laws or recognize them.

Heh heh..."Capitalism" in its raw form....lol

"Patent Laws" be damned!!! There is $$$$ to be made!!!!

Luv it when a country basically tells the US to stuff it...
 ffryan
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2007 10:20:32 PM
I buy a lot of books and these days I'm looking to Amazon.com a whole lot more than I am to Chapters or Coles. The books are a fraction of the cost, even when you factor in the shipping from the US to Canada. I was looking for a book for school and at Chapters it was $60CAD. I wrote down the ISBN and found it on Amazon for $16US. I believe in loyalty to Canadian businesses, but I won't build somebody's empire who sees fit to charge excessive amounts for their products. If Canadian companies want your business, they should have to earn it.
 beetk
Msg: 40
Posted: 8/30/2007 5:44:01 PM
"It makes ebay a lot more feasible... "

Nice...
 Street23
Msg: 48
Posted: 10/13/2007 12:28:06 AM
heh paybacks are a mutha, I'll never have to set foot in Canada again, Ya'll depend too much on the tourist trade and yer goin down this time!! Blame G.W. Bush some more!
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Have you've seen any benefits from a 95 cent Canadian dollar