Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > People who just write "how are you"      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bestwomanever
Msg: 1
People who just write "how are you" Page 1 of 78    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
Does anyone else find it kind of annoying to receive an email and all it says is "how are you?" and nothing else? I don't know, it just seems to me that, if you're going to send an email, at least write more than one phrase. I don't know, what do you think? Guys, if you've done this, I'd suggest you stop, it's pretty annoying.
 EyeDye
Msg: 2
People who just write how are you
Posted: 7/17/2007 3:59:15 PM

Does anyone else find it kind of annoying to receive an email and all it says is "how are you?" and nothing else? I don't know, it just seems to me that, if you're going to send an email, at least write more than one phrase. I don't know, what do you think? Guys, if you've done this, I'd suggest you stop, it's pretty annoying

Read/Deleted

Pretty simple I think, didnt need a forum topic....
 pureandnatural
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2007 4:03:35 PM
I think it's better writing "how are you" instead of "how r u" , especially when the guys over 40, writing in text message-ese like a teenager.

I've gotten several emails from guys where the subject line is "hi". Rather original, isn't it?
 DacaInaru
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/17/2007 4:08:00 PM
Funny I have had people send me a note that says "Hi" and thats it.. nothing else..

so I reply with Hi also..

I never hear from them again.. LOLOL.. hey I give what I get..
 -GQ4U
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/17/2007 4:09:25 PM
Thats what Id say in real life.......what kind of difference does it make on here.

plus: Most girls like guys taking an interest in their feelings
 cheekerzzz
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/17/2007 4:10:30 PM
Got to admit it kind of takes the shine away from seeing an email telling you that you have a message and its pretty non descript.

"Hi how are you?"

"Fancy a chat?"

"Nice profile?" ok not that common for me but has happened

I guess some people find it difficult to make that initial conversation, must admit if shes a fox i can overlook an initial short Hello and see how things develop.

Must admit if the rest of the messages only last a line at a time i get drained pretty quickly and say thanks but no thanks.

Oh and you can read and delete, but dont see it a the definitive answer and hence a reason to delete a thread, that said also cant be that bad a thread as you contributed to it......

just my thoughts though
 bestwomanever
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/17/2007 4:14:51 PM
LOL Daca, I do the same thing. And Cheekerzzz, good observation of the other poster, lol. And getting a "fancy a chat" might not be that bad actually. I've never gotten one of those before. :)
 ladybama2005
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2007 4:17:21 PM
i think for some that is away to break the ice as they say . so why not just check out their profile and if you dont like it delete and move on but if you like then hey that means his ( how are you ? ) worked . so why not give all they guys a break they are just trying to be nice....... try it some times it makes you feel good when you get a reply saying ( thanks for asking i am fine ) and who knows you might just put a smile on some ones face....
 Dorkfully Geekalicious
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/17/2007 4:20:33 PM
What's wrong with how are you? That's what you'd first say to someone in person. I'd rather just how are you rather then these full length biographies on themselves.
 unus_in_atrum
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/17/2007 4:20:41 PM
Well I am one of those guys who just writes "how are you?" Normally its when you are online at the current moment and I am just trying to start a quick email exchange before you get offline.

I don't see the point in going into a long email telling you about myself when all you have to do is read my profile. Everything is already right there. It's also annoying for a guy when they spend a lot of time on an email and then the email just gets "read/deleted" with out a response. So... "how are you" you get the email you check out my profile... if your interested then you write back and it goes from there. Just my two cents
 katica_kat
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/17/2007 4:21:58 PM
omg...big deal...they are asking how you are...what is so wrong with that ??
 PatrickTimothy
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/17/2007 4:28:38 PM
What do you want? poetry? It is a universal civil greeting. when you answer your phone, do you say "hello" and nothing else? why? its annoying! you must be brutal to get along with if something this trivial bothers you.
 cheekerzzz
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/17/2007 4:59:50 PM
Ok

Getting a quick Hello doesnt ruin my day so to speak but let me give you an example:

Msg 1 "How are you?"

Me "Im doing great, thanks for saying Hi. Nice profile btw, liked the bit about you getting stuck in the loo on holiday, can just picture their faces". So you had any interesting chats or dates off the site?"

Msg 2 Thank you

Me ?????

You know, i'm sure everyone has something to comment about regarding someones profile and its a good conversation starter because its personal and it doesnt seem like a mail shot.

But of course each to there own, personally i prefer a few lines just to keep things going. How much effort does it take to read a profile and comment on something? Not that much really.

Yes poetry would be great, yes i can be brutal to get along with too, argumentative at times even, but really i just crave an intelligent conversation.
 RAZ49
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2007 5:11:57 PM
What I have found is I can either write a lengthy email talking about things in her profile or a short "Hi" and it doesn't seem to matter, I still don't get a reply. I have come to the conclusion the women on here are playing games and not really wanting to meet some one or they expect the guy to be perfect even though they are far from it too. I know it sounds bitter and that might be so but when you have sent a couple hundred emails and had less than 10 replies you tend to get that way. My point is, just be glad you get emails and stop being so picky!
 Algebra1
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/17/2007 6:10:11 PM

Does anyone else find it kind of annoying to receive an email and all it says is "how are you?" and nothing else? I don't know, it just seems to me that, if you're going to send an email, at least write more than one phrase. I don't know, what do you think? Guys, if you've done this, I'd suggest you stop, it's pretty annoying.

It's almost as annoying as people over the age of 12 who constantly type "LOL" when nothing is really that funny. I would like to see congress pass a law saying that nobody can ask "How are you?" unless they really want to know how someone is. And nobody can say "LOL" unless something is funny enough that the person is actually laughing out loud. Ditto for "hehe" unless someone actually laughs like that.
 wizardofossington
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/17/2007 6:52:03 PM
First I just want to say to everybody on this thread "HOW ARE YOU? " I hope everybody is doing good. This is a very interesting topic and I wonder why people do those "how are you?' bids. It just drives me crazy, you know what I mean?
 sherilyn70
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/17/2007 6:57:29 PM
Yes, I have to say it annoys me as well. I think my profile makes it pretty clear I'm looking for someone with a tiny bit of intellectual level. Just saying "hi" or "how are you" or "liked your profile" isn't enough to get a conversation going with me or impress me. At least take a minute to tell me what it was you liked about my profile and found me interesting. If you can't do that much then I pretty much assume you're just emailing me because I had breasts and said I was single. :D

I have to say though, I was extremely impressed the other day when I got an email from a guy that said "I see you played Evil Stevie's Pirate game on Saturday at Origins" after I had posted a picture of myself with a lego pirate ship. I did respond to that one.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2007 6:57:51 PM
freebird78: How are you?
 EyeDye
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/17/2007 6:58:40 PM
Its fairly easy to say the the first half of people are writing a generic message to as many people as possible (hoping to get a reply based on statistics) or has very poor social skills and fails to realize that its hard to start a converstion without a more in depth open ended question.
 EyeDye
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/17/2007 7:05:29 PM

Seeing how the majority of women do not respond to your messages anyway what is the point of sending a long message? When someone messages you with a short message such as "Hi or How are you" they are just testing the waters to see if you will check out their picture and read their profile and of course, respond. When I first came on this site I sent long introductory messages. No responses came. It was just a complete waste of time. Now I only send messages that are one sentence. If you decide to take the time to respond to me you will find that my message length increases. It really is that simple. Respond back and that tells me it is okay to write to you and discuss any topic we so wish to pursue.

^^^ See?
 sherilyn70
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/17/2007 7:17:12 PM

Seeing how the majority of women do not respond to your messages anyway what is the point of sending a long message? When someone messages you with a short message such as "Hi or How are you" they are just testing the waters to see if you will check out their picture and read their profile and of course, respond. When I first came on this site I sent long introductory messages. No responses came. It was just a complete waste of time. Now I only send messages that are one sentence. If you decide to take the time to respond to me you will find that my message length increases. It really is that simple. Respond back and that tells me it is okay to write to you and discuss any topic we so wish to pursue.

Why do you have to write something long? Just say "I see you're into gaming and so am I".

Make it personal, not a novel.
 GuitarGuy_
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/17/2007 7:28:17 PM
"How are you" would be a good opening, or a half decent opening. But if thats it where do you go from there. On the plus side, at least it's PROBABLY not cut and pasted.

:)
 Adattude
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/17/2007 7:35:50 PM
I don't understand what people expect from this site. It's like to get someones attention you either need to be amazingly good looking or be able to start some deep conversation within the first email. Lighten up people... try being human and answering the question. Was your day good or bad, did anything interesting happen, was it a usual routine day and if so what did it consist of. It's pretty simple. Maybe in your answer something will make the other person light up and then a real conversation can start. This dating thing is not rocket science, but people always make it out to be! RELAX MORE!
 ringfire29
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/17/2007 7:40:39 PM
The best technique I have found is to say you will paypal her $5 for
every reply she sends. That way you can really get a conversation going
and she can get a free meal or two out of it! Now, try not to escalate things
and start paypaling her for other services... :)

oh, remember to never pay in advance, i am not sure if the paypal
protection plan covers you...

-RF
 stacj
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/17/2007 7:41:21 PM
I get those kind of emails to and I dont reply....then I get another email saying "why did you reply" LOL
They could pick something out of a profile and at least try to start a conversation.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > People who just write "how are you"