Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Do you believe we landed on the moon?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Silver Sharpie
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Do you believe we landed on the moon?Page 1 of 32    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32)
I say it happened.

Aldrin and Armstrong weren't the only ones to land on the moon. I guess the Americans had done it enough times and decided they proved their point. And it's way more expensive when you compare a moon landing with a shuttle launch to the space station or a Hubble service call.

The latest unmanned probe has a lot more advanced equipment than what the lunar landers carried. After a few decades, maybe they figured out what to look for and where to find it. Back in 1969, they probably didn't even think of what they know what to look for now.
 nipoleon
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Do you believe we landed on the moon?
Posted: 7/22/2007 2:02:58 AM
Ok, name one person, anyone at all, who was in on the fake, who has ever hinted at it.
Armstrong, Aldrin, and Collens would have had to been in on it, not to mention all the people at mission control and NASA.
Has any of them ever given even one single hint that it wasn't real.
 veevee
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/22/2007 2:11:08 AM
I'm not sure. There was a fox documentary many years ago that went over all the inconsistencies like crosshairs covered over in the pictures and since the crosshairs were on the camera lens they can't have been unless the photos were altered. There was one scientist who claimed they couldn't even leave orbit with a thin copper covering that they showed pics of, they would've been radiated toast etc. I just wonder why they haven't returned if it was so simple that many years ago. Plant a flag and vanish? why, that does make it seem suspect. You would think that they would want to go back in 20 years and make a celebration on the anniversary or something, a national holiday and visit the same spot - maybe see if the flag is still there lol.
 nipoleon
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2007 2:19:10 AM
The reason we never went back to the Moon is simply, Americans got bored with it and Congress didn't want to spend the money anymore. There were supposed to be 3 more landings after Apollo 17 but they were cancelled.
We Americans are very good at winning races, but we're not so good at following up for the long haul.
I don't know if the American people have the interest in going back to the
Moon anytime soon.
Don't be surprised if the next man to walk on the moon is Chinese.
 michael feir
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/22/2007 5:41:16 AM
We absolutely landed on the moon. I believe this despite not being able to see the pictures. Were I ever to feel one of the rocks brought back, I doubt I'd be able to tell via touch that it wasn't from Earth. I have, of course, heard the voices of the astronauts and ground personell involved. Not for a moment have I had any reason to doubt their sincerity. I'm also certain despite never seeing it thatthe space shuttle is real and that we Canadians are a part of a multi-national effort which is building a space station where people currently live and work. Doubt can be a useful tool much like an acid bath helps archaeologists discover things about the bones they recover. However, if used to excess, it can destroy the very objects that it's supposed to help clean. Why is it today that absolutely every achievement and good deed is picked to shreds by needless doubt? The real proof is in the mark the moon landings made on the world I've grown up in having been born in 1974. It's a world who has benefited from many technolgies that our journeys into space have made possible and by the insights, both scientific and personal, brought back and shared. I doubt I could be typing this to everyyone on a talking computer as I am now if we hadn' gone to the moon. Instead of picking apart the achievments ofour ancestors, why not look forward and try to build a better future with achievments of our own? There's so much to learn, experience and do. As much as I'd love for money to be spent on afordable housing so that I could have a place of my own sooner than I will, I'm very glad our leaders have enough of a long-term view to recognise that the exploration of space is fundamentally worth-while. Frontiers can bring us closer together in our drive to understand what they can teach us. That kind of exploration of the soul is why I've always been a fan of good science fiction and fantasy. It's all the more inspiring when people like Mrs. Ansari who recently went to the international space station as a tourist share their experiences. I never wou have thought that space would smell like burnt almonds or stopped to consider just how much we take gravity for granted until I read her blog and heard her speak. Some people jst don't recognise altruism if it thwacks them on the skull. Journeys like sh took can't help but inspire good things down the road.
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/22/2007 6:15:50 AM
Actually I believe we went to the moon a few times. The reason we do not go back is because the space money is spent on other endeavors. We learned all we can learn from landing on the moon.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2007 6:42:34 AM
Yea, it happened. Some people believe it never happened but it is hard to keep a secret for almost 40 years if so many were involved. It happened during the Vietnam War, people were angry with the gov't and trust in that institution was at an all time low (sound familiar?).

It was a space race with the Russians to see who would get a man on the moon first and the Americans won.

For the past 3 + decades, the emphasis, for the most part, has been on the shuttle program.
 Miss Angele
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/22/2007 7:28:30 AM
I remeber this, the teacher wheeled a tv into our class and another class stood in the back of our classroom to also watch. I have 2 questions perhaps someone here can answer.
1 Who took the film footage cause i saw them step off of a ladder and the angle looked from the ground.
and
2 So why don't they use the moon anymore they clearly are doing things up there
 veevee
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/22/2007 12:44:58 PM
Hey I found that video online of the fox doc lol
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1138935117048624484
Realistically , I don't know enough about space and engineering to be able to know for sure that it was possible.
The common consensus tho seems to be that it happened.
 2findU
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2007 1:31:56 PM
Yes, of course we did. I watched it live on TV. Where do you think a lot of new technologies have come from? The only hoax about the moon landing is the belief in something that actually happened was a hoax. Calling the lunar landing a hoax is a hoax in itself. Besides that, you think they pulled off this"hoax" 6 times? And another thing. Don't you think the Russians would have made a really big stink about it if it had been a hoax?

And as far as the Fox video is concerned, they are the same people that ran that "alien autopsy". Now THAT was a HOAX! Just follow this link abou the lunar landing "hoax" from Fox: http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/tv/foxapollo.html
 veevee
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/22/2007 6:14:58 PM
It's interesting that the ppl on the thread - do you believe in god didn't stir up as much idiot calling as this one.
Is it ridiculous to think that a single person could lie? no
Is it ridiculous to think that a group of ppl in a government position could lie? no less plausible than a single person
The op suggested their reasoning, sounds like a logical thing to me that there may have been a reason to hustle up a lie - time was ticking.

There are plenty of crackball conspiracy theories that have no basis in fact but at least the ppl that have mentioned the problems with the photos nasa released were obvious to layman, they don't require fanciful scenarios. If it makes you warm and cuddly inside to think that we went to the moon , enjoy the feeling.
If it makes me warm and cuddly inside to think that there was something fishy about having to alter photos, yipee , I can enjoy the feeling too.

It doesn't affect my life to believe or not that we made it to setting human legs on the moon. Why does it work ppl up so? This science/philo forum area is easy to heat ppl up i see and there is lots of name calling that should be curbed. I expected to find the educated or trying to become educated here, not big-mouthed blowhards, or have they become one and the same now.

About the alien autopsy, no I didn't buy that for a second lol so maybe I get to be half a crackpot today. :D
 veevee
Msg: 14
Posted: 7/22/2007 8:07:25 PM

Seems that the 'problems' with the photos have been explained quite well; in little words that even the 'layman' can comprehend; no 'fanciful scenarios' required!

Which post refuted them, the crosshair problems. Did it get deleted somewhere? It's not here now.
 CharlesEdm
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/23/2007 2:30:25 AM

Is it ridiculous to think that a group of ppl in a government position could lie? no less plausible than a single person

Wow don't know much about human behavior do you?

Anywhere, here is all the debunking you could ever need,

http://www.uwgb.edu/DutchS/PSEUDOSC/ConspiracyTheoryDidWeGototheMoon.htm

Talks about the crosshairs and background.

here is another point for you. You think the cold war Russians wouldn't have freaking blown this conspiracy out of the water? They can bloody track objects in space you know.
 2findU
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2007 3:34:24 AM

Who took the film footage cause i saw them step off of a ladder and the angle looked from the ground.

The camera was already mounted on the leg of the LEM (that's Lunar Excursion Module) built by Grumman Aerospace in Bethpage NY. So no one was standing there with a camera filming Neil Armstrong. It was already in position to broadcast his descent off the ladder onto the lunar surface.
 veevee
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/23/2007 8:29:44 AM

Anywhere, here is all the debunking you could ever need,
http://www.uwgb.edu/DutchS/PSEUDOSC/ConspiracyTheoryDidWeGototheMoon.htm

That's what I'm talking about, good post - its even on the exact program I had seen, thanks.
 Augiedougie
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/23/2007 5:38:25 PM
Of course the US landed on the moon! God, I can't believe some people believe these microcephalic maladroits who have time to sit around and think up these stupid conspiracy theories. Look at their so-called 'evidence' and you'll see that they have no idea what the heck they are talking about.
 4realRU
Msg: 19
Posted: 7/23/2007 6:13:14 PM
CharlesEdm and many others mention valid points. Why not visit again? Got the T-shirt answer comes to mind, so just go and enjoy a nice glass of Tang. Mars seems to be our next stepping stone.

Do I think the US landed on the Moon? Without question, but the most amazing aspect to me now it that it was done with slide rule technology. I actually have one of the many slide rules that were used to make this possible. It was used by my father, a Metallurgical Engineer for NASA during this time who helped work on the development of the heat shields for the Apollo missions.

There's almost more 'technology' in our Microwave ovens today than what they had back then.
 4realRU
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/23/2007 10:21:56 PM

Exactly.
So how was it this supposed event took place "back then?"
People will believe anything they see on the TV. It's kind of disgusting.
I take from your comment that you're a non-believer in our landing on the moon? That thinking would also lead one to believe that a compass, a primitive tool by today's standard, made it impossible for ships to sail and find new lands? "Supposed" events have happened all around us, TV or not. Seeing it on TV does NOT make it real, knowing the facts is what makes it real.
 CharlesEdm
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/24/2007 12:30:34 AM

Because launching rockets isn't really that complicated, we're dealing with Neutonian physics here. The math involved was quite old and understood, the engineering was cutting edget at the time.

More like you're digusted because people will believe in evidence (including freaking moon rocks) rather than frankly stupid conspiracy theories.
 marelee
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/26/2007 10:58:43 AM
canadian37 .. Food for thought..

In 1962 a facility was built in Cloudcroft, NM .. An Airforce Facility called the Electrical Optical Site.. The men who manned the facility were from Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio. I knew all of the Men who manned the facility. When the men were transferred their families came with them, our family was one of the first to arrive in Cloudcroft. My Dad was one of the Airmen. In fact I still have old movies showing the building of the site.

One of the important elements for the facility were optical lenses, very large - special, to observe objects in space. The day the space craft landed on the Moon, it was observed through these lenses, my Dad and my husband observed the landing.
The facility in Cloudcroft was turned over to RCA in 1969 and torn down in the late 1970's. The lenses were stored and later replaced in a facility in California, built around 1988-1989. They remain there to date.

Needless to say, there was an actual flight and landing.
 flyguy51
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/26/2007 4:34:53 PM
Don't you think the Russians would have made a really big stink about it if it had been a hoax?

Give this man a cigar. The main reason for the moonshot was international politics, and the most compelling counter-evidence would have been political backlash from the Soviet Union. There wasn't any. *knock, knock* "Hello! McFly!"

What I find curious is that the last moon landing hoax thread had most posters skeptical that we went to the moon. I'm glad to see that that is not the case here.

There's almost more 'technology' in our Microwave ovens today than what they had back then.

Exactly.

Well, microwave oven technology is the same as that used in radar. Radar technology has been around since... get ready for this... WORLD WAR II. Just because something is on TV doesn't make it untrue, either. That reasoning would be equally disgusting.
 flyguy51
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/26/2007 5:04:30 PM
^^^ Yes, well, you have to wake up pretty early in the morning to fool some people, eh?

*pointing to card with pictures of a screw and a baseball*
 marelee
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/26/2007 6:03:38 PM
one important bit of info, the space craft that went to the moon was guided by computer, using 64 K. The computer in the Electrical Optical site of course had the same memory. I remember my Dad setting at the kitchen table going over booklets trying to learn how to program the computer. The first he had ever seen, and so very large.
 Augiedougie
Msg: 27
Posted: 7/28/2007 12:32:58 PM

WE haven't landed on the moon. if yes? show me proof.

While I have never landed on the moon, 'WE' (ie the USA) did a number of times. It is up to those who are making the accusation of NO moon landing to show their proof.
Those who make extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence to make their claims. The evidence that those who claim no landing show is poor, at best, and based on flawed ideas and concepts.
 flyguy51
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/28/2007 7:08:16 PM
Msg #52, meet (ie read) Msg #32.

The Russians take their marching orders from the Council on Foreign Relations, the World Banking system, and the IRS, who perpetrated this fraud. WAKE UP PEOPLE!

Namegame2, in another thread, you are the sole defender of the IRS. Now you are claiming that they are a major player in a massive conspiratorial fraud. Will your real opinion of the IRS please stand up?

And if believing your worldview is being "awake," I'd rather remain asleep-- with the facts, and a firm grip on Occam's Razor...
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Do you believe we landed on the moon?