Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > when parents ignore a possible learning disability should it be negle      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 wanderbaby
Msg: 6
view profile
History
when parents ignore a possible learning disability should it be neglectPage 1 of 1    
How close are you and your mom when you were young? Was she there for you? or didn't pay much attention? I think you're not giving us much info to base if she's neglecting you for not testing you for tests. If you are close, perhaps she's in denial that nothing is wrong. Maybe at that time, she felt everyone was being tested for adhd and it's a gimic so she didn't want to take the test.

Really, imo, some kids, and I say some, who are diagnosed as adhd probably don't have it but they say they do so they can get attention when they don't get it at home. so they get it at school by causing problems. Cuz I do find it interesting that when both parents have to work at that time, adhd became more prevalent.

I don't find it neglectful that your mom didn't get you into further testing, I think it's more of being in denial that nothing is wrong with you and you'll pass thru this phase. And perhaps you aren't that serious with school as others are. No parent wants to think/admit that there is something wrong, so if it's not that obvious, they will shrug it off.
 mungojoe
Msg: 8
when parents ignore a possible learning disability should it be neglect
Posted: 7/30/2007 3:30:41 PM
my issue that i am having right now is that there is probably other parents somewhere doing the same thing my mother did to me and nobody does anything about it they call it the parents choice and leave it alone

It happens all the time. I know of large numbers of kids who aren't getting the education they need and are losing out on the future they are capable of because of this.

The reasons range from fear of stigma (that it means their kid is a "retard", "loser" or dozens of other negative labels I have heard trotted out) to plain ignorance (that there is no such thing, it's a conspiracy by drug companies/doctors, teachers are too lazy to educate the child) to simply not wanting to admit that their child has a problem (that it reflects negatively on them as parents).
 wanderbaby
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 7/30/2007 4:02:03 PM
So your mother neglect you emotionally, and verbally and mentally abused you. Perhaps you acted out in class more than you should due to seeking attention. So at this point, what can you do about it? nothing really, if you k now someone who needs testing you can only suggest/encourage them to give further test. But for you, perhaps counseling/therapy may help and improve your learning abilities. When you get negativity in your life, you feel uncapable of doing things, just imagine if you had a positive, support envirnment, I'm sure you're progress would be much better.
 4UMaybe
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2008 9:31:58 AM
There is much conflict about the issue of ADD/ADHD. A school district wanted you tested and Mom said no. Mom does have the absolute right and authority. She may have done some research, talked with professional or maybe not agreed with all the latest info over ADD/ADHD.

Now that you have the diagnosis, it is up to you how you want to proceed.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > when parents ignore a possible learning disability should it be neglect