Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > I've stopped wearing makeup...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 11
I've stopped wearing makeup...Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I don't really have the time or energy to doll myself up either.

I haven't worn a full face of make-up in years. Every so often, however, I feel the urge to doll up. Be it for a special occasion or not. I now do it when I feel like it and *only* then. Even if I felt like putting my face on, by noon, I've rubbed most of it off.. so it's pointless all around.

I have to dress a certain way for work, but it's a fairly comfy, casual environment so it's easy to do my own thing and do what I'm supposed to.

It's Summer that drives my laziness on the primping issues, mainly. Unlike a lot of people, I LOATHE Summer. I like warm weather... don't get me wrong, but the humidity we get is just too much for me. I am anemic and already sapped of energy, so on a really humid day (or a stretch of 10 of them), I feel like I might die. Not a fun thing.

So.. I kind of do the same thing.
 Fry Lock
Msg: 28
view profile
History
I've stopped wearing makeup...
Posted: 8/3/2007 11:25:55 AM
Yeah, I guess I'm just one of the sheeple that are slaves to fashion...

but I sure look good being one.

Fry
 kittybiscuit
Msg: 29
Posted: 8/3/2007 11:01:31 PM
I think you're very pretty and don't look over 21, so when I saw your profile said 33, I was surprised.

If makeup bothers you, then don't wear it. I wear it because I enjoy putting it on and I feel more professional at work when I have a little bit on (even the most women at my job wear nothing.) On the weekends, it is hit or miss. If I am super busy running errands, grocery shopping, digging in my backyard, cleaning, or other stuff, then I don't wear anything because I don't have the time. But if I am going to window shop or catch a movie, I usually throw something on. My theory on makeup is that it is supposed to be a fun way to express yourself, not cover yourself up. So if it isn't fun and serves no self-expressive purpose, why bother?

What I am getting at is that if you are busy and don't want to take the time, then don't. If you go out on a date and are dressed appropriately that should be your date's only concern (ie not showing up at chez wallet in daisy dukes and flipflops.) Any guy who is worried that you haven't powdered your nose in just the right way is probably not going to be the right guy for you anyway, right?
 goodbyegirl3031
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2007 11:02:30 PM
I dont bother with it alot because I do not get any attention when I do try so I just gave up all together.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 41
Posted: 8/8/2007 11:13:55 PM
~OP~ You've already made the choice, it's doesn't need validated. I think it's great. If you are of the mindset that taking care of yourself ranks below laundry, chores, etc., wonderful. You know you. For me, I've certainly altered my usual appearance to a much much easier version of my former self. I had a chemical face peel which gives me to option of very little or no make-up with a reasonable appearance. I also went to translucent make-up because as we age, the more we try to cover, the more apparent the flaws become. BUT, I certainly am not willing to give up my teeth bleach, my micro-derm abrasion home kits, or my perfumes. I'll go without dinner out long before I'll give up on keeping up with Father Time. As for the body, it's in better shape now than any other time in my life ~ that's for me, not a man. I haven't actively dated in over three years, I don't do anything with a man in mind, probably because there isn't one to worry about. But, I do not want to age before my time. To each their own, if you are happy ~ who cares what someone else thinks? JMO
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 42
Posted: 8/9/2007 6:41:30 AM
Most men I know HATE the whole caked on make-up bit. So I think it's unlikely to affect that many male's interest in her.

But I do agree with the idea that you doll up ONLY when you actually feel like it.
 Fry Lock
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2007 8:32:38 AM
well, it looks like its all about what kind of attention you want to attract; I myself LIKE guys who want their women all tarted up.

But then again, I also like to be smacked on the ass a couple of times a day too.

Not really interested in the "boy next door" types, so I guess, to each his own...

Fry
 Affliiction
Msg: 47
Posted: 8/9/2007 8:19:38 PM
uh huh thats right, cake it on, whore it up, we like it gals cause your sexuh
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 55
Posted: 8/10/2007 9:28:06 AM

Makeup on a woman is the same thing, it makes a woman look sexy, it shows guys that she cares about herself to take some time to doll up a bit. Again, not tons of makeup but lipstick goes a long way rather then dry looking plain lips.

Ok, but if she's dressed up nicely... she's already taken the "takes care of her self/looks" step. Make-up.. sort of become overkill at that point, no?

I can't really live without lip gloss. Seriously, I'm addicted, but I don't wear much else. MAYBE in the Fall & Winter. I can't bear it in the summer though. Ugh.

I'm not saying that no woman can look attractive without makeup, very very few do though.

I see the exact opposite. Most look just fine without it.

Makeup makes a woman feel feminine, sexy etc.

Mostly it's the tits that do that. Then the next prime real estate spot down, too. THOSE make me feel feminine, actually.
 tireofbeinglonely2
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2007 5:32:04 PM
I love this topic... I have been wearing make up since i was 16.. I love it.. I love the transformation in the mornings... i love looking in the mirror at someone who is plain and unattractive and the 10 mins it takes to apply a little color I feel like I can do anything... hahaha .. yes its like putting on that dress that makes your not perfect figure demand a wow!!! Its a small effort make you feel great about you. I was restricted to bed when I was pregnant and a nurse was dispatched twice daily to check my blood pressures and report back to the Doc/Jailer.. i was not to get out of bed for anthing other then bathroom and daily shower... At first I would take a moment to put on some make up and fluff my hair and i felt good.. but my doctor was not happy to hear about the makeup think... so I cut it out.. how miserable I was on top of being bed ridden I was makeup deprived and looked worse then I felt. Now reguardles of how I feel I get up and make that effort... it feels great..
 GuitarGuy_
Msg: 65
Posted: 8/12/2007 5:33:04 PM
I guess it's similar to a guy stating "I'm only wearing sweats from now on, take it or leave it"

*Shrugs*
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 67
Posted: 8/12/2007 6:09:11 PM

I guess it's similar to a guy stating "I'm only wearing sweats from now on, take it or leave it"

Well.. long as he goes commando.. I'll take it!

vladtepes97
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2007 12:22:01 PM

I put so much energy into working, cooking healthy meals for myself, carrying my laundry up & down stairs, taking care of my dog, keeping a clean house, and so on. I just don't have any energy for waxing, plucking, primping at the end of the day. I even used to spend large sums of money buying lingerie that boyfriends liked for whatever reason.

men have been telling women to drop the superficiality for years. yet, women, particularly y0ung ones, still read cosmopolitan that tells them how to hook their men. and we also know all about the competition among women, so no need for me to mention that. when you ask around about why women do these things to themselves, you'll hear answers like 'it's the magazine ideal of beauty,' which is dictated by men. in other words, they were saying that it's men's fault. nope.

all i can say, lady, is "it's about time!"
 scorpiomover
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2007 3:26:21 AM
Difficult to answer, OP.

I once heard a very true joke:
Q: What's the difference between College girls and High School girls?
A: College girls wear less make-up.

I've always heard "less is more" when it comes to make-up, and found it to be very true. So, I find it hard to believe anything more than 10 minutes a day is necessary at all, and 10 minutes a day doesn't seem so long.

I've always found that except for black tie affairs, like a High School Prom, there is a smart casual look, that takes 5 minues to dress, 5 minutes to apply make-up and 5 minutes to do your hair. The rest is shower and brush teeth. So you really don't have much more to do than most men, and a lot less for a lot of men.

If you are dooming yourself, it's because you're not making any effort whatsoever, and that shows you don't respect the people you meet. Women expect me as a man to at least shower, shave, brush my teeth, and put on clean clothes, and that is plenty time enough for me to impress the ladies.

The rest is down to a happy attitude, a beaming smile, good sleep, plenty of water, healthy food, and regular exercise. You walk your dog, so you should get enough exercise from that. You put on your profile that you like healthy food, and you've written that your sleep is important. Just add the other 3.

FYI, I've watched a lot of super models give tips on looking good and keeping your skin good, and the top 2 are:
1) Get plenty of sleep
2) Drink plenty of water

You don't need to put on plenty of make-up to look like a supermodel.
 Jillian1963
Msg: 81
Posted: 2/24/2011 11:47:33 AM
Finally the voice of reason!
 arwen52
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2011 10:11:07 PM
I never started wearing makeup so I never had to give it up. I don't color my hair, either.

I've never owned a pair of heels.

It weeds out the kinds of guys I don't care for. It hasn't seemed to get in my way.

I like the extra "oomph" a 2 or 3 inch heels gives me. It makes me walk straighter.

Actually, it probably doesn't. Heels are bad for your posture and bad for your feet. I watch women walk in heels and I have never yet seen a woman's gait or posture that was improved by them.

However, I do agree with the sexy underclothes. I'm really into it. Black thigh-high stockings with lace at the top and . . .
 DameWrite
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2011 3:53:48 AM
Be you and don't worry about the number of men who are turned off by the natural look. They're probably not YOUR type anyway. Naturally, C
 browneyesboo
Msg: 85
Posted: 2/28/2011 2:36:33 PM
Beauty secrets don't work the same for everyone.
Not everyone has skin they are comfortable with.
Sometimes they have discoloration, scars, are very
blotchy or very pale and like to put a bit of color on their
face.
Sometimes a little eye makeup makes your eyes pop.
Sometimes a little lip gloss or lipstick makes your lips
shine.
Nothing wrong with doing something that enhances your
looks.
Nothing wrong with not wearing any make up at all.
Just do what feels good for you.

Same with the I don't dye my hair do you crowd. If you've
got nice grey hair...kudos! If you don't, and you like coloring
it...nothing wrong with that.

I don't think anyone is a real fan of a super lot of make up.
But I haven't noticed a whole lot of made up hot ladies hanging
around the mall by themselves watches couples walk by.

Red Fish GF
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2011 4:38:10 PM
Be you and don't worry about the number of men who are turned off by the natural look. They're probably not YOUR type anyway.

I haven't worn make up for years except for lip gloss and when needed under eye concealer. Funny thing, the less time I take with my appearance it seems the more men are attracted to me. A few years ago my sister and I went out to the bar with friends. I wasn't feeling much like being out so I barely even fixed my hair. Yet, the men were hitting on us more that night than others. Today I went to work without fixing up much as I work at a school supervising kids and cleaning up the lunch room. I stopped for some shopping at a used items store after work and a guy complimented me on my smile and asked me to dinner. I have been feeling tired lately but I guess I looked better than I felt.lol Before I met my SO I dated a guy who tried talking me into wearing make up again but I also have a friend who tells me I should never wear any. My SO likes me to wear flavored lip gloss but doesn't care that I don't wear make up.

Don't wear make up to attract men. Wear make up only if it makes YOU feel more attractive and you think it is worth the effort.
 platypus_man
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2011 2:57:00 PM

I don't think anyone is a real fan of a super lot of make up.
But I haven't noticed a whole lot of made up hot ladies hanging
around the mall by themselves watches couples walk by.

Well, there are plenty of guys who think the overly made up Pam Anderson is hotter than how she appeared before all the vixen type, heavy eyeliner make up (though I'm not one of them), and she's made a fortune by looking that way.
That said, a little make up can be a good thing. Different guys respond to different appearances; and you gals are lucky that you can often alter your appearance just a bit to attract who you want (to some degree, anyway). Girls decorate themselves, guys decorate their cars. Be happy; nail polish and make up is waaaay cheaper than new rims, tires, engine components, and a full metallic candy pearl paint job on a Porsche.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 89
Posted: 3/20/2011 3:22:42 PM

Funny thing, the less time I take with my appearance it seems the more men are attracted to me.

I found this to be true for me as well. A trusted friend told me years ago that if it takes longer than 5 minutes to put on my make-up, I'm wearing too much. I have got it down to under 5 now (rare occasions it takes longer, but those are far and few between.) I've gotten an entirely different type of response to my appearance since I downsized on the cosmetics. No doubt about that.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 93
Posted: 3/20/2011 7:42:00 PM

If you have damaged hair, have it trimmed back and put baking soda in your shampoo to slough off the dry cuticle. To get curly hair, whenever you have a bath with epsom salts, after you have washed and conditioned your hair, dip it in the epsom water for a few minutes, or dip it in a sink full. The salt raises the cuticle and kinks the hair. Curly all day and then some. I use a conditioner that works on skin and hair and can work as a setting cream, too. No dyes, no animal testing, I buy it by the gallon at a beauty supply store so it is super cheap.

This is very valuable information. I did not know that about epsom salt. Very interesting.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > I've stopped wearing makeup...