Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Washington  > Ok, how serious of a drug problem is marijuana???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 justlookin42
Msg: 1
Ok, how serious of a drug problem is marijuana???Page 1 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
I really need some answers to this question. I work in the medical field and have alot of patients who smoke pot. To us, this is not really an issue...we are much more concerned with the people who are in once a week looking for their oxycontin....or the ones that just shot up with heroin or smoked meth 30 minutes before they come in. Most doctor's (and alot of medical professionals) think that legalization is the answer. What do you think? Is it a complete deal breaker when it comes to relationships?
 Chloebear1
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Ok, how serious of a drug problem is marijuana???
Posted: 8/6/2007 6:35:55 PM
For me, it is definitely not a problem. I feel alcohol kills many more innocent people everyday and it's completely socially acceptable. That is insulting to me. I think people would benfit more by alcohol being illegal than mairijuana. I don't think it will be legalized anytime soon however, if it is decriminilized, it would not be a prosecuted offense to possess it for yourself. Either way, I'm for it.
 leadfoot067
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/6/2007 9:42:10 PM
it is a deal breaker for me.if said person smokes daily...im totally ok with a few times a year person(thats what i am)..i used to smoke it daily for many years...thing is i have friends who still smoke it daily...and i look at where i am in my life VS where they are in most aspect of life..i see a huge lack of motivation with them...i think it should be legal though...i mean really....how many fights would there be at a pot bar?
 Struedel
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/6/2007 10:01:20 PM
I would prefer someone who didn't

I've outgrown getting high and drunk - no need
 PattyMan2001
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2007 12:46:27 PM
To each his own, I dont smoke it and prefer to not hang around with people who do, just my personal choice. I've seen way too many peoples lives get sucked into pot, it turns into there only motivation, "where am I going to get enough money to get my next high." Forget getting a job, ALL they want to do is get high. None for me thanks.
 JohnGaltLives
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2007 5:27:28 PM
Any smoking for me is a big deal; if they do it, then I won't personally consider them, but that's because I personally consider it a vile habit. Note that I said the habit is vile, not the person with said habit...

Aside from medical reasons, the people who regularly smoke pot are doing it for obvious reasons: they're either rebelling (usually the late teens or early 20-somethings who are still in their partying phase) or because they like the calming, "peace out" effect it has.

Either way, it's illegal. It's a deal breaker. If I see "must be 420 friendly" in a profile (you see it a lot on the Craigs List personals), the "back" button is automatically hit in my Internet browser. I don't need to see anything else, there's nothing they could do to convince me personally to consider them as a viable dating prospect. It's pointless rebellion, or barring that, it's just such a callous disregard not only for their health, but mine, as well as the veracity of the law, that I just can't go any farther.

If they don't like the law, well, that's the nice thing about being in democratic republic like America: you can get enough signatures on a proposal to get it submitted for a ballot vote to change the law. If you can't get enough signatures, then obviously there aren't enough people who want the law changed. End of story.
 TheyCallMeShib
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/2/2007 11:59:21 AM
I found this thread by searching, and I just wanted to comment on:

If they don't like the law, well, that's the nice thing about being in democratic republic like America: you can get enough signatures on a proposal to get it submitted for a ballot vote to change the law. If you can't get enough signatures, then obviously there aren't enough people who want the law changed. End of story.

The US isn't as romantic as you make it out to be. There are many states that have indeed legalized the use of marijuana, yet due to federal law, it remains unchanged. Even polls done in the united states shows the majority favor legalization. Yet its still illegal.

It takes more than signatures and ballots when the government is being paid to ignore you.
 MtLoopHiker
Msg: 8
Posted: 9/3/2007 9:26:26 PM
It is a serious problem. The problem is that it's illegal. For that reason only, I will not tolerate it in my house. Not because it's dangerous health-wise, but because it's dangerous, asset-forfeiture-wise. You get my drift?
 Telepylus
Msg: 9
Posted: 9/3/2007 11:11:29 PM
sometimes it seems to cause some problems with younger people, teens or 20-somethings.
it seems some people who smoke it daily claim to get addicted to it, so they feel like crap for a few days when they run out.
and they complain because nothing is fun for them unless they're baked.

but it's not a serious problem.
whenever marijuana seems to cause a serious problem in someone's life, it's not the marijuana that is behind the trouble. that person will have the same sorts of issues with or without pot.

hard drugs like meth or coke or opiates, they seriously take control over your life, and that is dangerous.

being lazy, and broke, because you love smoking weed is really nothing more than just plain silly, it's not a big deal, and it's not endangering anybody.
in fact it helps a lot of people.

when i was young i loved pot and smoked for years.
now that i am older it doesn't matter anymore, i rarely think about it.

in my profile it says i don't use drugs
because it's not my lifestyle
but if a girl is a stoner and wants to share with me because i'm her lover
i got no problem doing it with her
it's fun
it's nothing serious

it might even be safe to say that marijuana has healed more relationships than it's destroyed.
it's the smokin' of the peace-pipe
 TheyCallMeShib
Msg: 10
Posted: 9/6/2007 6:51:02 PM
The only thing I agree with is that kids should not smoke pot. But that should go without saying. Whenever I see a commercial showing how evil marijuana is for kids and such... I always think "Why does this make it bad for adults?"

My reasoning is more of a "being safe" thing. The human brain is an intricate organ which relies on very precise chemicals, especially during its maturation.

Just to be specific though, Marijuana isn't the only thing I think shouldn't be given to people under 21 (21 is the approximate age that the brain is finished developing for the most part). ADHD drugs (including the kind I take), Alcohol, etc. should remain restricted until the body can handle them.

Hell, even fast-food should be restricted (not by the government, of course, but just by good parents) when it comes to kids.

Addictions can be caused by many things, it really just comes down to the person. And all current respectable research says Marijuana is *not* addicting. Could it happen? Of course... but it is due to the person, not the substance.
 bedlog
Msg: 11
Posted: 9/6/2007 10:39:19 PM
I feel it should be legalized, have thc standards applied, i.e 4 grams of thc or 7grams or however it's measured. It should be sold in state liquor stores, and it should be taxed at 100% of the value. Users who smoke and drive should be treated just like any other conviction of being d.u.i.The profits should be used to fund meth counseling, meth lab cleanup, meth prevention and awareness. Should other drugs be legalized? In time, it would depend on how successful legalized pot sales turn out to be. I know I sound like a wackjob but so much money is being spent to fight the war on drugs, why not make it simple and tax the living daylights out of it? Would I date a woman who is a coke/meth/pot head? Nope, don't even like drunks, even though I'll have a beer or two.
 SeattleArtist
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/7/2007 7:53:09 PM
Health Wise, Pot is just as bad as many form of smoking. Infact I hear the lung cancer is causes is far worst than smoking tobacco. Also Pot can even awaken dormant mental illnesses that you might have. A study has proven that Pot can causes Schizophrenia in people who have trait, yes that diseases is hereditary, I have a family member who used to smoke pot all the time, he quit after his mind shattered and it was shown pot had a direct effect on his illness.

HOWEVER:

The war on drugs is a failed effort. Drugs being legal actually has been known to reduce crime, as Holland might prove where just about anything is legal there. We have tried banning alcohol, we have tried selective taxes on tobacco and have tried many programs to teach people that drugs are wrong.....I dont think we are getting anywhere with this.

I say make it legal, put a selective tax on it, and thus let people buy it. Liquor store might be a good option. Because its those selective taxes that the government makes so much money off of, even though the main intention at first was to try and get people to quit smoking cigars and cigarettes but taxing the hell out of them.....it didnt work.

Also I think the THC content should also be regulated, Washington has some of the most strongest weed, the most expensive in Texas is the cheapest here. You gotta regulate it. Also make laws , just like drinking, if someone shows up to work stoned, fire them, if someone drives stoned, fine them.

Really I think its because we tell everyone they cant smoke pot, they smoke it. Its like telling someone never to go into the house next door for dangerous reasons....curiosity will eventually get the better of them and if we killed that urge to experiment, I think you'd actually see decrease in pot using people, because it aint cheap like it used to be. Some ppl say however the dealers have put big money in the pocket of government officials not to make it legal because they lose their money and are no longer needed.
 TheyCallMeShib
Msg: 13
Posted: 9/8/2007 6:37:41 PM
I'm going to have to call bulls*** on you, seattleartist.

1. ____ is just as bad as many forms of smoking. Feel free to fill in the blank, because it has nothing to do with marijuana. When you heat a substance to the point of combustion, you release all types of carcinogens, but this is not from the marijuana, its from the heat and even the paper you roll it in. If you use something like a vaporizer with marijuana, then there are practically no toxins present in the vapor you inhale (because it doesn't heat it to the point of combustion which would release said toxins). Even when you cook a chicken too much, you release carcinogens. As for your part about it being worse than tobacco, so me your research, because the only study I have seen on that was poorly put together and didn't cite how much marijuana was used, how it was tested for carcinogens, and how much tobacco was used against it in the tests.

2. Marijuana can induce schizophrenia? Again. Show me your sources. Show me your facts, because according to Scientific America (as well as many, many other reputable medical/science sources), there is no proven link between Marijuana inducing schizophrenia. In fact, if you check out various medical cannabis users websites, you will find that some people with schizophrenia find comfort while using the drug. Here's a nice link for you including the sources I have mentioned: http://utteroutrage.blogspot.com/2007/05/marijuana-duck-duck-goose-same-old.html. The blog itself is not reputable, but its links to sources are very much so. Feel free to show me yours.

You are an example of someone who has had a bad personal experience with marijuana (via your family member breaking down), and instead of relying on facts, studies, and truth, you seem to have taken the easy route and just blamed it on marijuana.

But again, feel free to prove me wrong. Show me your sources, your research, your facts. Show me how it was "shown that pot had a direct effect on his illness".

3. The reason tobacco products are taxed so highly is to help ease the financial burden that many smokers put on tax payers when they become old and their bodies begin to fall apart from their years of smoking (via cancer, etc.)

4. THC should indeed be regulated... by consumers. If a tax-paying, american, red-blooded adult chooses they want a certain level of THC, so be it. What is the worst that can happen? And when you answer that... provide sources, because I don't want to hear that "THC is dangerous".

5. I'm sure many people may try smoking marijuana because they "rebel" against being told not to. But if it is mainly about being told not to, then why do so many people continue to smoke in decriminalized countries? People didn't start drinking during prohibition because they were told not to... they just *continued* drinking. Marijuana isn't new. It has been around for hundreds (if not thousands) of years, and has only in the very recent speck of human existence been looked at as "bad". People smoke marijuana because they want to smoke marijuana, just as people who drink do so because they want to drink, or just as people who eat fast food decide to eat fast food. We do many things to our bodies based on choice.

6. Who are these "some people" you speak of? I suppose with drugs such as cocaine and heroin, there might be some big drug cartel... but marijuana? Marijuana is easy to grow yourself and sell yourself. In fact, there is even a movement by some of the biggest "dealers" in California to legalize cannabis. They are literally offering 1 BILLION dollars to help California's money issues if Schwarzenegger helps push towards better protection and legalization of marijuana in California. (http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle_blog/2007/aug/06/marijuana_dealers_offer_schwarze)

1 Billion dollars. Why would these "dealers" you speak of spend so much money to legalize the substance if they can make so much more with it illegal?

I'm happy you support legalization, but I honestly wish you would let go of the stereotypes and support it for the right reasons. Reasons like its not a bad substance. Reasons like this is America, and the Government shouldn't be allowed to make something illegal with "facts" proven false.
 SeattleArtist
Msg: 14
Posted: 9/8/2007 10:24:22 PM
Well my friend, I think I better make myself clear: there is no DIRECT cause found yet to pot smoking making you mentally ill, I mean its just like many ppl saying you WILL get cancer if you smoke cigs, it CAN CAUSE cancer BUT THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT IT WILL CAUSE CANCER! Just like these studies I am about to show you, science has finding alot of reason to believe pot can causes someone to get mental illnesses infact its been a 30 year research project. I think however we need more genetic testing and also more time to develop a grip on the shattered mind, psychology still is young and I could tell you some really wacky meds many doctors came up with back in the 1800s to cure mental illnesses, but thats another story.

I see where your coming from and actally I can agree, there are many things that we can do that are either just as bad or worse than smoking period. I am right with you on vapor smoking, The Hooka is one of the oldest forms of smoking around...well...at least in my homeland and damn, its almost harmless because the water in the pipe cleans out almost all the toxins in it leaving you with about .05 drugs (nicotine or whatever you are smoking) . But thats another story...I'm sure you and I can go on for hours why smoking isnt as bad as the media makes it to be. Eating fast food and smoking should be crossed studied, I bet a McD hamburger is worst than one cig.

Now, back to your question: Here are my sources, these are highly repped, wish I could come up with better though, but I'll keep looking: Also if you want, search this "pot+mental illness" you'll find a wealth of info, maybe stuff I have posted:

http://www.schizophrenia.com/sznews/archives/001475.html

www.eurad.net/mary/Cannabis and Mental Illness.pdf (warning: This is a PDF file, but it shows just how long a link to Pot and Mental illnesses has been known or at least theorized.)

http://www.webmd.com/balance/news/20021121/pot-may-cause-depression-schizophrenia
(check sources for which this article was published)

http://behavioural-psychology.suite101.com/article.cfm/marijuana_triggers_mental_illness

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=82841

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/333/8014/454322.html

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/press/schizcompt.cfm (this is about the mental illess of Schizophrenia, for your information.)

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2007/07/26/pot-psychosis.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for your Selective Tax counter argument, Tobacco (and pot most likly if it is legalized) Read Section 2.A.1 of this manual for an explanation of what the purpose is for taxing smoking produce like Tobacco and booze or beer etc. You will find the original purpose of this tax was to influence consumer behavior changes in their "bad habits" Mind you, My degree also educated me on this tax as well, so I am not putting things out of the air. This source is about the best one you can get your hands on, right a student Textbook that is collecting dust on my shelf.

www.epa.gov/efinpage/guidbkpdf/tools1-5.pdf

Let me know what you think. Right now I say science at at a cross roads at to Pot being a harmful drug and a helpful drug, if you want my true opinion, I think its just as helpful as harmful if used improperly.
 TheyCallMeShib
Msg: 15
Posted: 9/8/2007 11:07:02 PM
You have no idea how much I respect someone who actually provides references.

I'll check 'em out in the morning =)
 TheyCallMeShib
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/10/2007 4:08:36 PM
Had some time today, so here is my point-by-point response to you, seattleartist:

Well my friend, I think I better make myself clear: there is no DIRECT cause found yet to pot smoking making you mentally ill, I mean its just like many ppl saying you WILL get cancer if you smoke cigs, it CAN CAUSE cancer BUT THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT IT WILL CAUSE CANCER!

Those are not similar examples though. Yes, you can smoke cigs and not get cancer, but that does not change the fact that there are numerous peer reviewed studies that show smoking does lead to cancer. With marijuana, however... you can't say that it is on the same grounds when there just aren't as many (if any) reputable studies that show the possibility of mental illness. You might as well say it could cause homosexuality based on the fact that you knew a couple guys making out while high.

Now, back to your question: Here are my sources, these are highly repped, wish I could come up with better though, but I'll keep looking: Also if you want, search this "pot+mental illness" you'll find a wealth of info, maybe stuff I have posted:

I went through some of your links, but I had to stop myself... could you help me out and tell me which ones actually link to the research or a reputable source? The first articles were basic "he said she said" with no actual way to verify. The problem with this is there are many articles that just regurgitate research that has not been properly handled or even peer-reviewed.

As for googling... I could also google "eating children is healthy" and most likely find an article confirming as such. I'm asking for quality, not quantity.

Here's an example of a quality article:

http://www.canorml.org/healthfacts/healthmyths.html#schizo

Now, first let me say of course this is a pro-marijuana site, however, take note of their 58 citations. Also, the point is made that there has been no study to show higher signs of schizophrenia in populations with higher percentages of smokers.

I will admit it is hard for me to find up-to-date studies regarding schizophrenia and marijuana, but the reason for that is because the argument has been seen as baseless for a while. But if you have information regarding it, please send them my way. Sadly, due to politics and agendas of governments, many of the studies you are citing are ones created during the time of "Reefer Madness" where the number one reason governments pushed for it to be illegal was because it could cause you to snap and kill people. But again... there is no correlation when you look at the amount of people whom smoke marijuana, and the amount of people whom suffer from schizophrenia.

Also, let me just say that from your own site you linked me to (schizophrenia.com), they say:

"Some people with schizophrenia suggest that [marijana] makes them feel better, but if depression is an issue we recommend these people talk to their Psych-Doc about possible anti-depressant use rather than street drugs."
http://www.schizophrenia.com/prevention/streetdrugs.html

I am not totally denying the possibility of a link, I am just saying that there has not been enough evidence to suggest it is a worthy fear. While Marijuana could have been the key factor in your family member becoming schizophrenic, it could have just been a unique result. I read in the news about a man killing a drive-thru window operator for not giving him more sauce, yet I wouldn't assume we should outlaw the sauce since its so good people will kill for it. (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/264257/wendys_employee_shot_over_condiments.html)

Now for your Selective Tax counter argument, Tobacco (and pot most likly if it is legalized) Read Section 2.A.1 of this manual for an explanation of what the purpose is for taxing smoking produce like Tobacco and booze or beer etc. You will find the original purpose of this tax was to influence consumer behavior changes in their "bad habits" Mind you, My degree also educated me on this tax as well, so I am not putting things out of the air. This source is about the best one you can get your hands on, right a student Textbook that is collecting dust on my shelf.

www.epa.gov/efinpage/guidbkpdf/tools1-5.pdf

Very interesting and much appreciated.

Let me know what you think. Right now I say science at at a cross roads at to Pot being a harmful drug and a helpful drug, if you want my true opinion, I think its just as helpful as harmful if used improperly.

Again, to use my blanks example...

I believe that ____ is as helpful as it is harmful if used improperly.

I believe that any substance you use, be it water, food, marijuana, aspirin, or even beer should be done so with the appropriate amount of care.

There are people whom die from drinking too much water. There are those whom die from eating too many bad foods. Some die from taking drugs prescribed by their doctors, but it was just the wrong type of drug or the doctors handwriting was too poor (its kinda sad, there is an actual statistic about how many people die because of their doctor's bad handwriting).

Despite all of those people dying due to their ignorance while using a substance, they remain legal.

Marijuana smokers, however, have never been killed by the substance they choose to use. It is physically impossible.

Whether or not it takes a toll on their mental issues is something that should be researched (as it is). But until the research shows proof of something other than reality... then why not go by what we see? What I see are millions upon millions of marijuana smokers, and only small isolated events of abnormalities. Events so small they wouldn't even stir up a news article if Marijuana was a prescription proprietary drug.

I'm not a marijuana smoker myself, but I have been an advocate ever since I found just how much I was lied to in High School by my health teacher.

It's hobby of mine to collect research and articles on marijuana. It's starting to become a passion ever since my grandpa has started to lose his appetite, and something like Marijuana could very well save his life... yet its illegal, so he won't take it.
 SeattleArtist
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/10/2007 6:30:20 PM
Well after reading your rebuttal, I think we have more common belifes than disagreements. Ultimately it seems anything that is done in moderation is ok, but anything that is taken to an extreme can be harmful if not deadly.

Sadly I cannot produce any Research stats and variables from each research project over the last 30 years. I wish I could have those stats, just as much as you would want them as well. Needless to say I go with facts that influence my point of view, often I have shaky research to back it up but I am a reasonable person, trust me, you would be outraged with some of "other" points of view.

At any rate, I'll keep looking for better research, it seems these days you might have to go a university itself to gather data in a project of interest, instead of consulting the internet.
 fingsuperwoman
Msg: 18
Posted: 9/12/2007 1:13:08 AM
Moderation is the key. There are many functional pot heads in the world.
And it should be totally legalized. The jails are way too over crowded with stupid pot heads.
 Goldinheart
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2007 11:27:47 PM
I am for it too. I believe in legalizing Medical Marijauna. There is alot of info at legaljoint.net on the subject. I know because am the LegalJoint webmaster.
 Goldinheart
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2007 4:29:33 AM
STOP ARRESTING OUR MEDICAL MARIJUANA PATIENTS.
I believe in legalizing Medical Marijauna. Part of the problem with legalizing marijuana is the dosage and what type of illness or disease should it be prescribed to. Marijuana has been around since the start of time. It is a natural way to help a severly ill patient patient to deal with their pain and discomfort.

I have been the webmaster for a site, 9 years, that is both informative about marijuana law, but also the benefits of legalizing it for patients. I have heard the saddest stories.. unbelievable. www.legaljoint.net
 slightlyusedlure
Msg: 21
Posted: 10/1/2007 11:24:38 PM
Well from someone who works in the field of law inforcement, I believe that if it is illegal, it is for a reason. I have seen too many people that have been casual users that get to a point that the high is not enough and then go on to something stronger. It is amazing to see a person that looked totally normal from a photo from just pot use aned then two months later seeing another photo from the meth that is almost unrecongnizable. This is a personal choice, but for me in is a major deal breaker.
 GWH98926
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2007 4:54:21 AM
Coming from the other side of the fence, I smoked weed for 20 years and I never moved on to bigger drugs such as meth ? It was far easier to quit than it has been for me to quit cigarettes, kills far fewer people than alcohol, and Ive never heard of someone robbing someone over a gram of bud. I feel they should legalize it(over 21), tax the hell out of it and use the funds to pay the national debt or revamp the schools system.... my 2c
 Swabbas
Msg: 23
Posted: 10/2/2007 8:52:12 AM
info from Mayo Clinic:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/schizophrenia/DS00196/DSECTION=2

Interesting enough
 MtnMan56
Msg: 24
Posted: 10/2/2007 4:15:04 PM
The sad thing about the rationalization of pot smokers is: This ain't the 60's anymore, when we had low-medium grade weed. Todays marijuana, is so in-bred, that the THC content is triple (at least) rendering smokers far more vulnerable both physically and mentally. HOWEVER, my stand is MODERATION IN EVERYTHING. Booze may be legalhowever driving under the inluence is ILLEGAL. Ditto on hard-core pot heads!!
Do the crime do the time.
MtnMan
 ModernBard
Msg: 25
Posted: 10/6/2007 1:06:39 PM
I think that it is fine in moderation. It is less of a deal-breaker for me than tobacco. (I find that people who smoke pot are usually less likely to smell of it than people who smoke tobacco.)

Part of the reason that I feel this way might be due to the time I spent as an EMT in New York. I'd take someone high on pot over a drunk any day. It was safer for me and they were less likely to have medical problems.
Show ALL Forums  > Washington  > Ok, how serious of a drug problem is marijuana???