Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Whats with women that invite their dogs into the bedroom to sleep?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 curlygrl
Msg: 3
Whats with women that invite their dogs into the bedroom to sleep?Page 1 of 31    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31)
We love our dogs and yes sometimes they come
to bed with us.

They are dogs in my book.

Well yeah dogs to you kids to us. Maybe it is the nurturing factor
or maybe it goes back to the men leave but the dog is always there.
When you have a girlfrend - maybe she should have cats. They are
smaller.
I dont know what to tell you.
Good luck though - some women love their dogs like children, Im one
of them.

curlygrl~
 ~Juggernaut~
Msg: 5
Whats with women that invite their dogs into the bedroom to sleep?
Posted: 8/7/2007 2:11:20 PM
My dogs sleep with me but they know to wait to jump up until I'm done having sex , They just know that they will get kicked off so they learned early.
 Karrpilot
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2007 2:23:02 PM
That is why they make dog houses. So the dogs have a house of their own. There are also cat houses, but that is another issue. And a purse dog? Get real. My cat is bigger than those purse dogs. And i do not like him either. But this thread reminds me of a quote from W.C. Fields. Any man who hates cats, dogs, and kids can not be all bad.
 curlygrl
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/7/2007 3:00:25 PM
No just love and he knew his place -he was not in bed every night.
I wish he was around now though.
this is kind of sad reading this for me. I have no children and he was
important to me- went to the best vet, ate the best food. I was able to
give him a great life- as I would have if he was a child. Thats all.
I read some of these thoughts and its just sad that some feel this way, thats all.
He was my friend but above all a fierce protector.

curlygrl~
 Tossed_Salad
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/7/2007 3:41:44 PM
^^^

from OP's first post:

These women get upset with me because I tell them I can not sleep with them and their dog in the same bed. Now I am not talking about itsi bittsy 10 pound dogs here, but full size 100 plus pound size dogs.

he said 'not kinky" meaniong not including them in sex acts, I take it..but sleeping with a 100-lb. dog in your bed??

if you consider that 'normal', so be it.

I (and I bet many other people! ) have different ideas.

.(though apparently I am not allowed to express my opinion here?)
 videogirl
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/7/2007 4:47:36 PM
ohhhh, tossed salad..... *sigh*.....OF COURSE you are allowed to express your opinions here!

Just when you accuse people of mental illness and say that they are sad, old, childless women who project they latent motherly instincts onto an animal and you feel sorry for them and are disgusted by them at the same time.... you will be chastised for it.

I'd like to express my opinion as well. I would prefer a warm, cozy, furry NON-JUDGEMENTAL bed campanion. Not necessarily a four-legged one..........
 canyunflyer
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2007 6:04:07 PM
Nothing wrong with enjoying a pet. However, I am concerned that far too many people on the personals....(especially mature women) have ammassed a bunch of animals as a surrogate family. This is just problamatic. I am not inclined to want to take that on, let alone compete with it. Everyone needs to do some honest inventory about just 'why' they have animals...and just what is that relationship. I respect everyones choices...and I will accept them. I absolutely may not aggree with them.

For me....and I am certain... a very lot of men (most of us...???_), women who proclaim..... 'I will take my dog over a man'..... is at the very least... a signifigant red flag.
 CoolBreezez
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2007 6:46:59 PM
Sleeping on the bed with us- no.

Sleeping beside the bed with us- Ok.

In the bed or room while your having sex- no.

Don't hate dogs - last GF's dog liked me-(he told her I was OK) I liked him. After a while, maybe better than her.

But they were a package deal. Se la vie!
 Canoe Gal
Msg: 26
Posted: 8/7/2007 8:21:22 PM
I especially like the ones who compare dogs to kids (never met anyone who had kids that did this) and / or who come with the "gos are more loyal" line...as though being DOGS and thus dependent on them for their well being has nothing to do with it.
I'm one of those people with kids that also has dogs. I have to admit that my dogs can be just like my kids. The beagle has the same personality as my son. The wiener has the same personality as my daughter. The two dogs get along exactly like my kids do. They try to push the limits just as my kids do. Sometimes it feels like I have four kids rather than two. However, all three of my dogs are kennel trained. My boxer as well as the two other dogs are service animals. They each sleep in a different room unless the kids are not in the house. Their kennels are in each room. The doors are not latched and usually they will sleep there unless the kids are not in the house. Then I'm stuck with three dogs in my room. The boxer will guard all night and has. She is very protective of her family with good reason. Because they are service animals they have to have the flexibility to do their jobs. If someone doesn't like that, I hope they don't hurt themselves with the door on the way out.
 valsalva22
Msg: 30
Posted: 8/7/2007 10:48:50 PM
Mental Illness- Wow. LOL!!!- Okay then.
No just love and he knew his place -he was not in bed every night.
I wish he was around now though.
this is kind of sad reading this for me. I have no children and he was
important to me- went to the best vet, ate the best food. I was able to
give him a great life- as I would have if he was a child. Thats all.
I read some of these thoughts and its just sad that some feel this way, thats all.
He was my friend but above all a fierce protector.

curlygrl~

I'm terribly sorry for your loss, curlygrl~

Just wanted to let you know that women aren't the only ones who like having their dogs sleep beside them. I love it when I wake up in the morning and my dog is sleeping beside me on the bed. She is like a daughter to me and I wouldn't have it any other way so perhaps we are both mentally ill!

he said 'not kinky" meaniong not including them in sex acts, I take it..but sleeping with a 100-lb. dog in your bed??

if you consider that 'normal', so be it.

What does the dog's weight have to do with anything? If another human slept in the bed they would be at least 100 lbs too, wouldn't they?

And if you consider elitist behaviour and superiority complexes normal, so be it.
 Thissme
Msg: 42
Posted: 8/8/2007 8:01:42 AM
I went out with this one woman who lived with a cat and dog. The dog used to sleep in the bed with her when I was not there. However when I slept over the dog used to sleep on the floor beside me and it almost felt like the dog was jealous of me because it was always staring at me! Creepy!
Posted: 8/8/2007 8:26:32 AM
not that it really matters, as those who believe it's fine to have their dogs in bed w/ them will continue to do so, but...

there's a show on HGTV called "At The End Of My Leash" , and the trainer just said that dogs should never sleep on the bed, as it gives them a false sense of who's really in control of things. there's some testimonials on the web site:

http://www.endofmyleash.com/

myself, not a dog person, but I know many many locals that are. I do have a cat, but she doesn't sleep in the bedrooms, either.

and having a dog looking @ you or trying to get on the bed when you're having sex is just plain wrong on soooooooo many levels.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 46
Posted: 8/8/2007 9:21:34 AM
OK, first off, I am not talking about any kinky stuff, just plain old dogs sleeping on the bedroom floor, or even on the bed.

I seem to have met several women lately that state "you must like dogs" in their adds. Well, I do like dogs and have dogs. They are dogs in my book. These women get upset with me because I tell them I can not sleep with them and their dog in the same bed. Now I am not talking about itsi bittsy 10 pound dogs here, but full size 100 plus pound size dogs.

I guess to each their own. When I have a girlfriend, I want to sleep with her, not her 4 legged friend. Is that just me or is this a common thing?

Just wondering.

Leaving after sex is better; this is why we have our own apartments. If you sleep at home in your own bed, it won't bother you as much. That's how things are at other people's houses. At your house, do things the way you want to. Better yet, have her come to your place. Problem solved.
 Tossed_Salad
Msg: 47
Posted: 8/8/2007 9:26:40 AM

There are animal people and there are non-animal people, as is patently obvious by the answers to this thread.
The latter are not to be trusted, and cross-association usually only leads to trouble.

LOL: ) where does that statement come from "doctor" ?

there are also 'people' people, and 'non-people' people (who love animals or their pets more than they love people).

to me, the latter are not to be trusted..
 Sugar*Daddie
Msg: 48
Posted: 8/8/2007 9:39:03 AM

I have this strong view about people who "get" dogs and people who don't. The ones who "get" them learn a lot about life from them...dogs know how to enjoy the simple things in life, because it really is the simple things that are important, not the silly things us humans can get caught up in. I think the ones who can't establish a connection with dogs are missing out and not capable of understanding what it is that I am talking about. On the flip side, I do see a lot of people who don't establish healthy relationships with animals...

ahhaha..yes, it is such a bad thing to not establish healthy relationships with animals..probably more important than establishing healthy relationships with humans?
don't you think that people learn a lot about life from their children, rahter than from child-substitutes, as well?

funny how extreme some people get; if you don't want to sleep with a dog and maybe have it witness your sex life, you are all of a sudden an "animal-hater"?????
 Ray89135
Msg: 49
Posted: 8/8/2007 9:42:46 AM
I love animals as much as the next person, but they should never take precedent over your lover/partner. When you are in a relationship, and you choose to have your animals sleep on the bed with you and your partner, you are using your animals to limit intimacy. How does this help develop a romantic relationship with your partner?

For the many that allow their animals to sleep on their beds they are saying through this action that romance and intimacy with the opposite sex is less important than what ever they are getting from their animals. That is sad and to me it is a "red flag" that shouts I am not open to an intimate relationship with a human being. Why would anyone want to put a roadblock in the way of finding that special person that they can live the rest of their lives with? You can avoid this turn off by simply training your animals to sleep on the floor next to your bed. Isn't this the healthier choice anyway if your true goal is to find a partner?
 Sugar*Daddie
Msg: 51
Posted: 8/8/2007 9:47:15 AM
why some guys don't like this animal-love??

because some people form a stronger "relationship" with animals than they can with humans; they don't "trust" humans basically, or project mother-love onto animals instead of children.

people who "talk" to, have *LONG* " conversations" with their pets? I'm pretty sure that animals don't understand or comprehend English!!!!!, ..or other human languages..
I've seen women bundle their small dogs up in swaddling cloths as if it were a baby and carry it at their breast, cooing. at them, "burping" them.......

even "dress" their lil' doggie in children's clothes or human clothes.. this is NOT "cute" to me..strikes me as a bit sick or obsessed!

kiss their dogs on the mouth, maybe a little tongue-contact, etc.? maybe lick their fur for the spots the doggie can't reach on its own?

................I *hope*!! they don't also breast-feed it!!!!!!!!!!
 Sugar*Daddie
Msg: 52
Posted: 8/8/2007 10:32:13 AM
LOL:) yes dogs are "loyal" to you., maybe because you feed them and shelter them and they are dependent on you, perhaps??

children up to at least the age of 10 or so are almost invariably "loyal" to their parents, as well..

'unconditional love' maybe because they" love" always getting that doggie food or porkchop & water from you every time they feel a lil bit hungry?
 Witchypoo
Msg: 53
Posted: 8/8/2007 10:36:06 AM
Well I guess it is a common thing. My animals have almost always slept with me, just like my kid for that matter. Well she doesn't sleep with me anymore, she's 25, LOL. But she still will crawl into my bed for a nap during the many many times.

Max my White Shepherd spends part of the night on the floor and the rest of it with me on the bed. When my boyfriend stays, it is not uncommon to see first my head on the pillow, followed by my boyfriend then my dog. My boyfriend has no problem, he loves me, my daughter and the four legged's

Nothing kinky here..... we're just all enjoying a good nights sleep, well except when the dog farts.

:))
Witchy
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 57
Posted: 8/8/2007 11:20:05 AM
My question:

How do these "relationships" where people have such different opinions of what a pet owner should and shouldn't do even get far enough where a dog (or cat or whatever) sleeping on the bed is an issue? Are we this lonely? Apparently it's a mis-match, not a soulmate. Date someone who believes in living the same as you do, or keep separate residences and do sleepovers in the most convenient place so stupid crap like this won't even come up. If you plan on moving in and marrying someone, pick someone who fits. Duh.

People are supposed to accept each other as is or move on. No one should have to change stuff like this for someone else - being involved just isn't this critical. JMO
 forum_moderator
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2007 1:20:31 PM
Off Topic Posting removed. Thanks to those who remained on topic.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 68
Posted: 8/8/2007 1:54:28 PM

Yep, it's just you. The dog will be there long after you've flown off into the sunset.

LMAO ~ so sad, but soooooooooooooooo true.

~OT~ I don't have a dog of my own, I lost him Christmas morning. BUT, my roommate works out of state 90% of the time so her dog is my dog. She is his owner, I'm his herd. (He's a herding dog, it's his job!!! I'm the only sheep here. ) I live out in the country, and I learned long ago, this dog is not about to let ANYONE near me who shouldn't be. Why is this? I take him for ice-cream everynight. "Stranger vs. Ice Cream Lady? Hmmm.....better get rid of the stranger." I'm no dummy ~ men might exist in my life for today, he's going to be my protector until he dies. If the man in my life (let me restate that, if a man falls from the sky and into my front yard) isn't a pet person ~ he's not the person for me. The dog stays.
 HannaofWallace
Msg: 69
Posted: 8/8/2007 2:00:06 PM
Here's my two cents as a "crazy" dog owner...

1. The dog lives in my house - YOU don't. If you don't like it, don't let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out.
2. She will be here long after I've dismissed your sorry ass for being such an insensitive jackass. My dogs have been with me through breakups with total jerks.
3. Normally my dog sleeps on the floor beside the bed, or on a dog bed on the other side of the room, but every once in a while, she wants to come up on the bed with me, and I'm NOT going to throw her off.

so there
 a_bit_gay
Msg: 70
Posted: 8/8/2007 2:03:37 PM
it's not just women, my dog is in bed with me and also there when I entertain men friends
 v1hump
Msg: 71
Posted: 8/8/2007 2:05:19 PM
Well I am no woman but my dog sleeps on the bed , the floor, the basemrnt, the truck or anywhere else that she damn well pleases. She was here before most women and is here after they are gone and its her house not theirs.If they dont like her as far as she is concerned they dont need to let the door hit them in the ass as they go out it. I also have an opinion of people that dont have or like dogs but will keep it off here. I am usually suspicious of any woman that has neither a cat or a dog unless she lives where its not possible.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Whats with women that invite their dogs into the bedroom to sleep?