Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > humor  > changing of quebec stop signs      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 itsme75
Msg: 1
changing of quebec stop signsPage 1 of 1    
well i heard a rumor going around, well the girlfriend told me or was it my parents, that the quebec government is thinking about changing the stop signs from arret, to WWT, i was like what does that mean? my dad goes WWT mean Wo Wo Tabernac.

P.S sorry if people dont find it funny, i do
 thatguy276
Msg: 2
view profile
History
changing of quebec stop signs
Posted: 11/11/2007 10:31:41 PM
Okay, can someone please explain it to the NON-Canadians in the room?
(If there are any POF admin people reading this, we could seriously use a :confused: icon)
 Wottacatch™
Msg: 3
Posted: 11/12/2007 12:17:16 AM
Well I'll try my best to help you Americans:

Tabarnac is French Canadian slang, and is pretty much the equivalent of 'fukk' but with no sexual meaning - the word is only used as a vulgar interjection. Thanks to its ample use of the 'a' vowel, it is an extremely satisfying swear word that lets the energy flow through your throat.

The word comes from French 'tabernacle' pronounced with a French Canadian accent. It is unheard of in France.

Note: 'crisse', 'hestie' and 'câlisse' have very similar meanings and are equally vulgar. A locutor can stack them together as to create a rhetorical figure (see examples).

Tabarnac! - shit!

Hestie de câlisse de tabarnac! - fukking shit!

T'es un tabarnac de fif - ur fukking gay

Hestie de tabarnac de plotte - motherfukking cu nt.

So Whoa Whoa Tabarnac - would mean slow down ya fukkers.

Hoped this helped
 goldtrident
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/9/2008 11:25:45 AM
Special thanks to Annasthasia and Wottacatch for those explanations.

I spent 4 years in Montreal, including one summer in Valcartier, on the outskirts of Quebec City, with the Vandoos (basic military training) I found it fascinating that all swear words were church based and that my friends could say "shit" to their mothers but if they dared to utter an Estie... they'd be returned to the dust from whence they came.

Your history and etymologies were fascinating, but the story about Yvon Deschamps on the TV program was downright illuminating. Lightbulbs of understanding were going off all through my brain.

Thanks guys...
Show ALL Forums  > humor  > changing of quebec stop signs