Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > today's TV shows totally SUCK      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 curlygrl
Msg: 2
view profile
History
today's TV shows totally SUCKPage 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I agree- I rarely watch television
other than PBS- Discovery channel
Interesting thought provoking Tv. Thats really hard to find today.
Thats pretty much it. I cannot stomach reality Tv.
I would much rather read, crochet or knit.
Yes - my secret gulity pleasures are The Simpsons and Family Guy -
Cartoon network and Nickelodeon.
curlygrl~
 mlm_mlm_mlm
Msg: 4
today's TV shows totally SUCK
Posted: 8/14/2007 10:29:50 PM
fall season is coming and some new shows on the major networks. I cant wait.. because I am rather tired of the forums.. Its over 100 degrees outside in the shade.. even when the sun goes down and I am married now.... actually legally married so I should stop coming here.
I tolds my new husband tonight..... I am freaked out that I am married.
lol
so I am hoping these new series coming this fall are worth a crap so I dont dwell to much on the fact...
I am now married.
I should be out spending his money...
lol
more so that he is a M.D. and a bunch of other letters after that.

he is a good guy and I married the right guy...
so I'm hoping there is something good coming to Tv.
I have 250 plus channels and a DVRso far nothing nuch to watch but shark shows
and forensic files
 mlm_mlm_mlm
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/14/2007 10:35:50 PM
house would be good but since I worked in medical a long time... it is too unbelievable what that house doctor does and gets away with ( no way is a doctor going to get away with that NON CONSERVATIVE stuff he does ... in a hospital)
so I lost interest.

csi......... not as good as other crime shows based in reality.. as they say TRUTH is stranger than fiction

I am liking that show BONES
but it only comes on once a week !
wife swap is funny and I like that sometimes...

I need some good TV
 nipoleon
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2007 2:37:52 AM
The History Channel and Discovery are my favorites but they are beginning to turn just about anything into a TV show.
" Ice Road Truckers ", Who decided that making a show about truck drivers in the arctic would be worth watching? " Watch out ! his fuel line froze up and he's losing money now ! "
" Worlds Deadliest Catch ", a show about crab fishermen. Put the basket in the water, take the basket out of the water, that's how you catch crabs.
" Myth Busters ", unfortunately it's gotten to be like the NBA, all you need to watch is the last 10 minutes.
" South Park " overtook " The Simpson's " as the funniest most imaginative show on TV a long time ago.
" The Daily Show " was better when Craig Kilborn hosted it but it's still funny now.
" The Colbert Report " is still daily must viewing.
 designingwoman
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2007 1:06:04 PM
I like Sci Fi, such as Stargate Atlantis and Battlestar Galactica.

As for non sci fi I like Boston Legal--it's hilarious!

The rest of the stuff on TV SUCKS, especially the reality shows, American Idol and that Gray's Anatomy which is gross. Too much of that people jumping into each other's beds. It's pointless! I also hate Two and a Half Men. My friend suggested I try it and I thought it was stupid.

Law & Order is a pretty good show, but since Lenny died it hasn't been quite the same to me. I think it's outlived its usefulness as an interesting program.

PBS has some good stuff too.

I miss the '80s family oriented sitcoms like the Cosby Show, 227, Diff'rent Strokes, Facts of Life, Growing Pains, Hogan's Family, and the like.

Off to the DVD store it is for me!!
 gonzofanmel
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2007 2:50:04 PM
I dunnot about ALL TV. I myself loved the first season of "Heroes." In the past, I was hooked on the TV shows "Highlander," "Forever Knight," "Kindred: The Embraced" and "Witchblade." Pity those shows went off the air.

I also love reruns of British comedies: "The Young Ones," "Red Dwarf," "Are You Being Served," etc.
 kasandroid
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/15/2007 2:53:25 PM
I REALLY feel like suing FEAR FACTOR.............those B*st*rds TRAUMATIZED me for life...........even though I hardly watched it. I'd be going on a channel surf and then lo and behold there's their show and somebody's drinking one of those shakes with brown floating things in it. Even if I had NO idea what was in it, even if it was on the channel for all of less then a minute, I'd start gagging.

Now lo and behold I am suppossed to make alot of shakes and well sometimes I put vitamins in it or fruit with like seeds or like those little brown fiber seeds. Well it doesn't matter what I put in it that is NORMAL..........if I see brown things floating in the shake or chunky things, I feel friggin nauseated and think of that show.

Thanks a bloody lot!

Duckman_2
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/15/2007 4:40:30 PM
If they totally suck so bad, why are you watching them to the point you can make the conclusion they totally suck?
 DJMac
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2007 9:06:57 AM
All TV shows now today are beyond horrible. I dont have cable and when I did the only thing I would watch would be PBS or the other learning channels. Then again I have to say that I dislike about 80% of the TV shows made past 1969, I only go for old reruns because most of the shows were better back then.
 Simlasa
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2007 9:28:13 PM
I wonder how much the changes in programming reflect what people really want to see... I mean, maybe television is doing a really good job for its audience.

I've heard stories of how the major networks are scrambling to keep their viewers... but I have to assume there are marketing people with charts and numbers to prove that these shows are going to get watched...
 lc44906
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/17/2007 6:44:12 AM
99% of Reality Shows suck big time! I watch TV to escape reality not watch morons make further idiots of themselves - I can see that at the office and on the six o'clock news everyday!

Sci-Fi Channel made for TV movies suck! (And I love science fiction!) This Saturday's Sci-Fi Channel movie? "Mega Snake" - can we say remake of other failed Sci-Fi Channel movies such as "Python", "Cobra King" and other really baaaad movies. Yuck!

Sci-Fi Channel: Flash Gordon & Pain Killer Jane - two Friday night shows that blow chunks. Ugh! Bad writing. Bad plots. Horrible acting. Gods I can't wait for Stargate Atlantis to come back!

I'm in love with the new BBC America show "Jekyll" - if you haven't seen this on Saturday night, WATCH IT! Excellent show about a descendant of Dr. Henry Jekyll who involuntarily turns into Mr. Hyde. There's physiological changes as well as psychological changes that occur and couple that with Hyde's animalistic tendencies and you get one helluva good show!
 designingwoman
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2007 9:38:33 AM
Cheers was the same thing over and over again too. It was the most boring show I ever saw on TV.

I long for the days of those wholesome, funny family sitcoms. I Love Lucy was a riot.

I even miss WKRP in Cincinnati!

I also love Star Trek from the original to Enterprise. Good stories and wonderful characters.
 mlm_mlm_mlm
Msg: 28
Posted: 8/18/2007 9:39:15 AM
I have started to watch animal planet, national geographic... mainly because the high defintion choices are so limited at this time...
Those shows are not too bad really and I'm starting to look forward to many of the shows they have on animal planet.
 DJMac
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2007 10:16:51 AM
Reality shows drive me nuts, there are way too many of them. Watching people have a fake argument is entertainment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember back when TV shows were about something like pre 1971?
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 30
Posted: 8/31/2007 3:33:28 AM
I think reality shows suck , except for The Predator show with Chris Hanson. I will say though that tv is evolved from the movies . The dramas like Law and Order, ER, Las Vegas , and West Wing are awesome. Cable shows are great like Californication and Sopranos and Curb and others that I have not gotten into yet like Sleeper Cell. I find Tv does not just put out a show but they actually research the subject at hand and make it as realistic as possible. This is very intelligent. Do not get me started on the unoriginality of movies lmao.
 PrairieNihilist
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2007 10:09:23 AM
I have a television, but I seldom use it. When I do use it, it's to watch live sporting events, or play video games. I have no use for television, other than as ambient noise while napping.
 yna6
Msg: 32
Posted: 8/31/2007 4:34:05 PM
I am sure most of us could pull better television out of our azzes. there is some good stuff on, but let's remember...it is all a game of numbers. If they can get Jane and Johnny to watch some bunch of twenty-somethings crawling around looking for clues and stick in 25 minutes of commercials, hey...they hit the right buttons! The sponsors are paying big bucks to get that commercial out there, and the more who see it...the better it is.
PBS has some good shows at times.
I hate these channels that supposedly are so good, yet, repeats, repeats, repeats....same movie 6 or more times a month, yet presented as "The show you don't want to miss!" Duh.....how many times can you show it??

Or these "marathons" which is rerun after rerun of the same shows they showed two weeks ago!

Game shows? Riiight...some ok...others make me wonder.
Reality shows? They aren't real. Let's try "Survivor"...for real...like Northern Canada in winter...try surviving that! You'd EARN your million if you made it, along with anyone else who made it with you!
Most of the "We'll give you a million" shows have rarely given away that amount....one show went all season without doing it.
I must admit, "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" does kind of make me laugh....I don't get all the questions (based on US education system, therefore I don't know all the things...like how many States have a Pacific Coastline on them? Answer...5) (I thought 4....forgot Oregon is out that way somewheres..Alaska, Hawaii, California, Washington)
Jeopardy...whew....
Sing along shows? Again, duh...not that into music that I have to know the right lyrics for every two-bit tune that shows up on radioland. Especially when you can't make out the lyrics for a lot of them anyways!

Sports shows....way over-rated. Pregame show, then three hours to play a game that has three 20 minute periods and two 15 minute breaks. Then a post game show, then a wrap-up.....total elasped time can be 5 hours or more. Not interested.Boring. Especially when every station is showing some sporting event on a Saturday afternoon instead of a movie ort refular programming or something. they just drone on, and on, and on....
Fantasy car and truck shows....yeah...like a normal person is going to have the time and money to do it....put it into a magazine and leave it there for those who are interested!
 geekybroad
Msg: 33
Posted: 9/1/2007 12:29:41 AM
There are a few shows I used to like watching, but after getting rid of my TV, I have to say I don't notice myself missing cable.

On occasion, I get a movie to watch on my computer. Many series can be found on DVD, so I occasionally rent those if friends have recommended something.

The funny thing is you soon notice some people can't relate or converse unless it's something to do with TV.

"Oh my God, did you see American Idol last night???"
"Uh... no, I don't have TV."
"Yeah, they.... Oh."

junipermoon
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2007 7:07:45 PM
i don't own a tv. i doubt i'm missing anything worthwhile.

on friday nights, my boss and i order dinner and watch tv. i've always been a huge jeopardy freak, so i get my weekly fix of that.

i also try to watch any televised horse races, especially the triple crown.

other than that, it seems pretty useless.
 yna6
Msg: 36
Posted: 9/1/2007 7:39:34 PM
Wish I could get shows on the computer....but...need the connections for that, and they refuse to install them here, so I'm stuck. With gawd awful French cable. they carry the big three from the States, CBC, the Indian channel, Spike,and PBS out of Michigan. the rest is ALL French with their own locally made shows, etc...some good first run movies, but in French (English Canada has to put up with reruns of old movies so much that it makes me wonder how much French TV is subsidized in comparison!)

Can't get the history channel or english movie channels, nor discovery, space, nothing...unless you have a dish. (They won't allow us to install one here either...)

yep...TV sucks at times.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2007 7:16:40 AM
I haven't really watched any TV for about the last four years. I've really disconnected with the entire concept of television. CBC and PBS occasionally have some great stuff, but I still find buying DVD's and the internet MUCH more interesting.

No commercials, and (in the case of the net and news) you are able to actively research things of interest.

The occasional show can still attract me, like "Curb Your Enthusiasm", but well within reason. Things like "American Idol" , "Big Brother" , and "Survivor" I just consider quite boring.

When my old computer blew up on me, I actually started watching TV again, while readying the replacement computer. It suddenly dawned on me ( after a long absence) that TV now is very much like a drug.

You sit there, and get told things, and essentially have to accept them. It's such a passive experience, and it almost begins to make YOU passive too.

I grew up watching people like Walter Cronkite, and appreciating guys like Edward R. Murrow, so watching almost any talking head on the news today makes me want to scream.

I was really glad when I was back online again.
 yna6
Msg: 38
Posted: 9/3/2007 8:58:37 AM
Yes, I am in Canada...about two and a half hours down the road from Montreal Guy, towards Quebec City...the phone company does offer some high speed deal, BUT...they will not come to the people asking for it when they are called to install it. They absolutely refuse to budge on this because the gov't forced them to make the service available in rural areas. Now, when the phone company goes back with a low number of high speed connections in rural areas (way more expensive to maintain!) they can ask to delete the services. We've called 5-6 times, and are always told "We'll be there in a couple days!" They never show up, and any complaints are not taken seriously no matter who you talk to!
Anyways...TV....Many of the cartoons are so much crap...badly done, badly drawn, etc. I think anyone with a magic marker could come up with a storyboard and Teletoon would air it just so they'd have something new to stick on the screen.

I realize a lot of the old cartoons like Bugs Bunny are politically incorrect, but I remember them as being a bit of a hoot at times!

Any of the "reality" shows pretty well suck. Big deal if some "team" can run half naked down a beach and toss a ring onto a peg. The only thing that whole scenario is good for is the jiggling...cause even if something does manage to make an appearance, they fuzz it out anyways.

Sticking a bunch of people into one home to see who gets on who's nerves...a lot of us actually live that! We just don't get the option of voting them out!
Msg: 39
Posted: 9/3/2007 11:20:58 PM
TV has been going down hill for years. So much in fact that i haven't had cable for any decent stretch of time since 2003. It's time for the cable companies to rethink how they deliver this content to us in the digital age. I for one just hear about decent shows from friends and family then download them and watch them at my leisure.

There was an article recently that what happened to music is about to happen with tv shows and movies. It basically stated that people are moving to download there shows and this will cause problems for the networks who rely on ratings. Hell your Tivo box records the show you watch it later and the network doesn't register you as a viewer so they loose out on there precious marketing dollars and thus pull a show. I as a downloader also don't register on there ratings.

Cable tv needs to come up with some interesting fresh ideas or they will start to suffer if they aren't already.
 gonzofanmel
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2007 7:19:50 AM
Not all TV is bad nowadays.
I just received season 1 of "Heroes" on DVD and have found the show completely enjoyable--and I never watched it much when it was on last year; I am looking forward to the season premiere later this month. It appeals to the sci-fi/fantasy geek in me.

Now both my brother AND mom want to borrow itfrom me, but I know that if I lend it to either one of them, they'll probably not give it back.
 DJMac
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2007 10:17:55 AM
To me sitting around watching TV for a period of time is really really really freaking boring. My friends on Sundays have movie night where they get together and watch two of three movies. I quit that because we have opposite tastes in films and also I got so bored and restless watching television. Right now I am having picture problems with my TV and my DVD player conked out on me and I really dont care. Someday I'll get the TV fixed but its not important to me. To be honest I would rather read a book or listen to music than watch TV.

Also the only movies I like to watch anyways are documentaries. I hate comedies.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > today's TV shows totally SUCK