Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Appetizer Competition Party - looking for recipe suggestions      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 2
Appetizer Competition Party - looking for recipe suggestionsPage 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
There is a restaurant here in Tampa, that breads onion rings with coconut shavings .
 JustKelly70
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Appetizer Competition Party - looking for recipe suggestions
Posted: 8/15/2007 8:30:51 AM

INGREDIENTS
4 Portobello mushrooms , large, (about 1 1/3 pounds), stemmed
6 tablespoons Extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon Minced fresh rosemary
Table salt and ground black pepper
1 Loaf country bread (approximately a 12-by-5-inch loaf), sliced crosswise into 1-inch thick pieces, ends removed
1 Large clove garlic , peeled

Preparation

1. Light grill. Place mushroom caps on large baking sheet. Mix 3 1/2 tablespoons of the oil, rosemary, and salt and pepper to taste in small bowl. Brush oil mixture over both sides of mushrooms.

2. Grill mushrooms, gill side up over medium-hot fire, until caps are cooked through and grill-marked, 8 to 10 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, grill bread until golden brown on both sides. Place toast slices on large platter. Rub garlic over tops, then brush with remaining 2 1/2 tablespoons oil.

4. Halve grilled mushrooms; place one half, gill side down, over each slice of toast. Serve immediately.

http://www.mealsmatter.org/recipes-meals/recipe/32020
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/15/2007 8:59:48 AM
i assume you have already done the bacon wrapped water chestnuts huh?
 Miss W
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/15/2007 9:13:18 AM
I won a division one year at my county fair with this one. Good luck with whatever you do.

Garlic Spread with Sun Dried tomatoes

One cup olive oil, extra virgin, must have great flavor

3-4 oz. sundried tomatoes, rehydrated

4-5 green onions

10 or more cloves of garlic

handful of fresh basil, maybe 10-12 leaves

pinch of parsley, 2-3 large sprigs

pinch of sugar

pinch of salt, to taste

Lots of cayenne, to taste, make it spicy for some adventure

Put all ingredients in a food processor and process until ingredients are chopped and combined, leave a little chunky. Let sit in fridge overnight, or at least 2-3 hours, make sure to bring to room temperature before serving.

Place 4 oz. of chevre goat cheese on a platter for serving. Pour sundried tomato mixture over it and garnish with fresh basil leaves and/or parsley. Serve with a baguette.

I found the following tip for lowering the fat in goat cheese in a Sunset Magazine recipe annual. The tip is from Williams Sonoma. Mix goat cheese with 1/2 cup of plain yogurt. Drain like you would for yogurt cheese. The yogurt cheese will take on the flavor of the goat cheese.
Posted: 8/15/2007 10:47:22 AM
I copied this from one of Giada's recipes. Made it once and it turned out quite good.

6 sheets phyllo dough
4 tablespoon butter, melted
8 ounces smoked mozzarella, sliced 1/4-inch thick
8 ounces sun-dried tomatoes, drained
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup Prosecco
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Lay a sheet of phyllo dough on a clean dry work surface. Use a pastry brush to brush the phyllo sheet with melted butter. Fold the phyllo sheet in half lengthwise, resulting in a 12 by 8-inch rectangle. Brush the top of the phyllo with melted butter. Place a few slices of smoked mozzarella at a narrow end of the phyllo rectangle, leaving 1-inch on each side. Top the cheese with a few pieces of sun-dried tomatoes. Carefully roll up the phyllo dough into a cigar shape starting with the cheese and tomato end. About half way through the rolling, tuck in the 1-inch ends of the phyllo dough, and continue rolling. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet, seam side down, and brush the top with butter. Continue rolling the 5 remaining cigars. Bake until golden, about 25 to 30 minutes.
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2007 1:34:41 PM
Hi Notenough,

I like the idea of the stuffed shrimp. I recall Tyler Florence doing a recipe (Food 911) that seemed onolicious and a make-ahead type of dish. Do you have to make it right in front of people or can you bring something that's part prepped? That might be hard to execute otherwise.

Stuffed phyllo is amazing, too. Again, hard to execute in 15 min. Just melting the butter and brushing the dough could take that long!

What stuff have you made in the past? I'm just asking generally.

WW
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2007 1:35:52 PM
Hey! What about stuffing tigers with something like garlic/brie?
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2007 2:09:54 PM
You're welcome. Just putting 0n the thinking cap, as earlier mentioned by Playsnice (?).

Shrimp are pretty easy to execute, if you can clean them ahead of time. Maybe butterfly on the top as suggested and stuff. I'm not thinking about something like Rondele or Alouette (too soft and melty). Rather real brie mixed with fresh herbs/garlic that has been super chilled, so the cheese is moldable and won't melt too fast for the shrimpers to cook (?) You could use a melon baller or something for an even blob on each one.

WW
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2007 2:11:26 PM
Actually, RK, I love the idea from Taste of America. Nuttin' there on that skewer I don't like. What channel is it on for you? Not sure I get it here in Wacky-wacky...
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2007 3:08:58 PM
Actually, Barton, asparagus is a great idea! I'm just wondering why frying is out as an application. Tempura rocks and looks pretty as well. Sweet chili dipping sauce such as Mai Ploy? Nummers.

I've always like marinated asparagus litely broiled and then wrapped in prosciuotto, served cold. Shivers, so tasty.
 TropicalNights
Msg: 28
Posted: 8/16/2007 9:25:55 AM
salmon tartar rolled in smoked salmon, cut the rolls in slices,
Op want to marry a great cook, from Montreal ? LOLOL sounds like you know your way around a kitchen! :)
 Internetdatingpariah
Msg: 29
Posted: 8/16/2007 9:38:47 AM
Geee...This forum has more ummm....action than "current events"

(1) ANYTHING wrapped in bacon!
(2) ANYTHING with asparagas.

Take a medium sized breadstick, you know maybe 9" long. NOT the thin sticks!
Wrap the top half with a 1/2 length of bacon.
Roll the bacon in grated parmesan regiano cheese (spelling)
Bake in oven until bacon is crispy 400 degrees maybe?

Also may want to wrap the lower half in foil to keep it from getting too brown or burnt.
 JustKelly70
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2007 12:52:12 PM
Mmmm, Smoked salmon, I do miss it, Ex used to get if for free, I'm to cheap to buy it.
Think I'll get a salmon this fall when they do their run and smoke one. They can be pretty beat up, so I think smoking would be the best way.
Opie, I'll wait for your input, I'm having a party this weekend and some Idea's would be appretiated.
 JustKelly70
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2007 1:23:54 PM
It's a corn roast so I don't have to worry about the main course, Just snacks really:)
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 35
Posted: 8/16/2007 1:34:01 PM
foccacia makes a nice appetizer if its done right...as does bruschetta(sp)...bruschetta allows you more freedom to be creative...black olives...pancetta...etc
what i have done for bruschetta is take slices of ciabatta and use a cookie cutter...cut out pieces...no crust...fry one side in olive oil till golden...then load the untoasted side with toppings...you can prep these ahead of time and fire them under a broiler to finish
just a thought...
opie...you have two months to get your act together...thats a lot of weekends...plenty of time considering your parameters for this event is 25 ppl...15 minutes...
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 36
Posted: 8/16/2007 1:36:14 PM
poached almonds in milk...hmmm...YESS
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2007 1:46:33 PM
Fist, that's a GREAT idea! Focaccia or bruschetta. Wide latitude for independent action. I like the fry-one-side, load-the-other-side thingy.

I also love the idea of a smoked salmon (lox) roulade stuffed with interesting cheese/herbs. Bummers that no cold appy ever won!
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2007 1:53:54 PM
Puff pastry holds purty well, once it's baked off....?
 JustKelly70
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2007 2:10:25 PM
Yummy, Thanks Zette!!
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2007 2:36:57 PM
Shrimp dip is always a good idea. I'd swap the canned shrimp for fresh or frozen and swap the Miracle Whip with cream cheese and sour cream. Otherwise, yum!
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2007 3:10:07 PM
Why do you crush the shrimp? You're looking for a pastelike texture? I think if so, I'd use the frozen and a food processor. Made some insanely good shrimp salad a few weeks ago. Green onion, celery, garlic powder, capers, etc. Smackin' good.

I know, the age old controversy about M. Whip vs. Mayo. So many, many people just adore it. I'm one of the Best Foods/Hellman's crowd - can't help it. Even other mayos aren't appealing. Just how I was raised, I guess.

I'm retarded...will NOT eat brussels sprouts, so there you have it.
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2007 3:31:49 PM
Good one, Random! I agree, red bell would be good. Maybe roasted red bells. They would certainly compliment the seafood.
 JustKelly70
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2007 3:33:06 PM
Gotta like shrimp****ail Mmmm
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2007 4:06:37 PM
Speaking of shrimp and pizza, Zette, the two are an awesome combo!

I buy the frozen 16-20's and soak 'em in o. oil, sherry and garlic, splash lemon. Make a bechamel for the pizza base. Then, cover the pie with shrimp, capers, bell peppers, shrooms, onions, minced garlic and top with swiss cheese. A real heart stopper. You can even drizzle some of the marinade over.

Are you baking your shrimp?
 WaikikiWahine
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2007 4:22:25 PM
En garde, what a fabulous recipe! I likey!
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Appetizer Competition Party - looking for recipe suggestions