Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Why do you post your rants on profile???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 1
Why do you post your rants on profile???Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I have noticed.. that many people (men and women) get so fed up with the liars and BSers on here that they go off about it on their profiles. While we all get pissed off about it, and I have been known to post it on my profile too, it just makes us look angry and bitter to others who do not understand. I make sure I put my rant and how I'm fed up on here at the bottom so it's easier to go back in and delete when I'm thinkin again.

Face it folks, this is cyber land.. and people can say whatever they want. They can lie about who they are.. what they are.. things they enjoy.. their size... their age.. you name it they can and will lie about it. BUT... NOT everyone does it. Just think, while we're fussing and ranting about those people, we get upset because WE are not like that and do not understand why others are dishonest. This means there are others like us and one day we'll find them. I'm not bitter... I do get upset.. and wonder what really makes these liars think that they will ever find somenone by being dishonest.

Is honesty a vertue that people are not taught or do some of you people think you are such good liars.. that you believe yourself? Not all of us are idiots on here, I for one have been around the "cyber block" a time or two and can figure out when someone is just trying to be who/what they think I want them to be... geez.. such a waste of our time.
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 2
Why do you post your rants on profile???
Posted: 8/16/2007 9:48:34 AM
I agree.... because even though you might be thinking something negative at the time and you "think" you are making a point to whoever reads your profile all you are doing is making people see that negative part of you. NOBODY wants to start out with a person who shows anger or betterness, at least not me. I understand being honest.. and that's great.. and if you want to put something in there to make sure people know you are not into BS, do it but do it in a positive way.
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/16/2007 10:10:55 AM
I know what you mean... I hate the thought of mixing a drink... then taking a xanax before I start reading some of these profiles. However, not mentioning things also make the BSers think you are easy pray for them. Like I said, I think some people lie so much they start believing their own lies or else honestly believe that telling little lies won't matter to anyone.. well.. it does. If you lie you lie.. which mean.. hello.. you are a LIAR. Nothing you can do will stop some people.. so just keep your profile.. and your life as clean and positive as you can.
 Witchypoo
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/16/2007 2:30:43 PM
I'm with beachchick, if I see that garbage on a profile, I pass it right up. Unfortunately some men are just as guilty as the women of that, it is so sad to post your skeletons.

It rates right up there with going out on a first date and all you hear is about the ex/wife/gf. After I am done rolling my eyes in the back of my head, I find I rather stick white hot needles in my eyes than continue the current date, LOLOL. I do however have the greatest respect for the one that got away cuz I'm gettin away at my first possible convenience.

Jeeeeeee-zzzuuuzzzz people, look to the future instead of being stuck on stupid.

:))
Witchy
 lifesshort03
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2007 3:38:42 PM
I've put up the "PC" profiles and the "Not so PC" profile.

Guess which one do I get more responses from?
 lifesshort03
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2007 3:41:08 PM
rjb888,
My dog was interested in your dogs profile. There were no rants, just a woof and a wagging of the tail, followed by a certain act on my leg.
 SueCat51
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2007 3:47:50 PM
A negative profile won't win any hearts over. I think some folks put negativity on their profiles because of "insecurity", they can't let go of their past experiences. When you see negative profiles or even threads where the same person is bitter, angry, or over generalizes, those aren't the folks you want to date, much less relate to.
 ~Juggernaut~
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/16/2007 5:51:59 PM
I read a weird statistic the other day , 15 % of people that use websites to meet people are certifiably insane . I thought that was a bit low but I've easily met all of the ones in my local area :) Crazy people are fun to party with , but don't make any sudden movements it's makes them nervous :(
 lifesshort03
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2007 5:53:51 PM
"I read a weird statistic the other day , 15 % of people that use websites to meet people are certifiably insane . I thought that was a bit low but I'm easily met all of the ones in my local area :) Crazy people are fun to party with , but don't make any sudden movements it's makes them nervous :("

Where did you get this stat from? Seems low to me.
 *Eiledon*
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/16/2007 8:05:30 PM
I would guess it's their frustration coming out.

The need to 'vent', appears common in humans.

On the 'net, this usually requires the written word, and a person's profile is one place they can put their thoughts.

(We all know how long the 'nice guy' and 'BBW' threads last! )

Not generally considered attractive or appealing, as you know OP, best to remove any negetivity once you've cooled down.

Or maybe it's just because you humans are crazy!
 leahmarie
Msg: 11
Posted: 8/17/2007 3:54:35 AM
mesnafugal.......I agree with your post. I have been dealing with 50ish men since I am 54. I met eight --- four from this site and four from another. Of the eight, six posted pictures that were as much as 20 years old. Their attitude when I questioned them about the old photos was, "Why they still look the same, so what is wrong with posting a picture 10, 15, even 20 years old?" I have yet to figure out if, as you say, that these people believe their own lies, or whether, as someone else noted, that they are just out and out insane. After I met the sixth man, I acted like a nut; I told him he didn't look like his picture and walked out on him. Then I went home and posted one of those angry, bitter profiles on the other dating site, because I needed a forum to vent my frustration. However, after reading your post, I think I will go back and rewrite my profile on the other site. Incidentally, the other two men I met didn't work out either --- one was a control freak and the other was looking for a mother for his elementary-aged daughter.
 crystalise
Msg: 12
Posted: 8/17/2007 7:14:25 AM
I agree with this.

Talking about past relationships / experiences in a negative light at any stage of introduction is a huge turn off forme. And your profile is the very first thing that anyone is going to be introduced on an online dating site.

Sure I appreciate s----t happens. But seriously, it just tells me you are not over it and that = drama= baggage= you get the idea. Discuss these things later on when you have established some kind of connection and rapport and it is relevant- but don't dump on people, who lets face it, at the profile reading stage of the game - are almost complete strangers

Better yet, save it for the forums! : )
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/17/2007 7:19:31 AM
Pull up your big girl panties and deal with it!

I loved this saying...

I'm happy to see the different attitudes about this, and I'll admit.. I have emailed a couple of guys who did rant just to say.. .ok.. I understand but you don't have to put it all out on your profile.. they took it off.

HOWEVER....

then why do you bother to read those profiles? It is anyones' right to post/write anything they like (within reason) on their personal profile. Who are you to complain? you are as bad (or worse) since you started a thread about it all........who is more unhappy then, you or them?

What the hell was that about ??? I started a thread on this subject, if YOU have a problem with people posting their thoughts on threads then maybe you should not be reading them. "I am as bad or worse"... not hardly! you don't need a profile missy... your attitude comes out in whatever you write. Maybe you should look/read (if you can) and you'll notice other people have all sorts of comments about this.. hmmm... last time I looked it seems that the FORUMS was for that very thing... peoples opinions.. complaints.. thoughts...

I'm glad to know most people can understand this, too bad others show that same personality I was talking about when it's really not needed or appreciated. I have to think every once in awhile that I need to reread my profile to make sure it does show my true personality which is pretty happy go lucky. Even though when someone rants it does show their true self, it's only one small part of that person most of the time. But it makes you leary to meet them.. like the one guy said.. you don't know if they have a base ball bat waiting for you... eeeekkkk
 lifesshort03
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2007 9:25:53 AM
"Read *my* rants ... guaranteed good time"

A tasteful and classy use of the term "nutsack." Two
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/17/2007 9:36:04 AM
lol.. no cat fights.. but hate when someone accuses ME of being the sad.. pathetic person which I'm very very far from... Grrrrr...I believe that was very unnessesary.. anyways.. ask anyone.. I'm happy.. .I'm fun... and yes.. I do rant...

Anyways.. .I hate wedgies.. yuk.. but love the big girl panty thing, or was it a girl with big panties???

I will have you all know, I had to go look at my profile jus to make sure I didn't forget to erase my last rant on there!! I sound like sugar and spice and everything nice. Oh..I did mention ONE sentence about not into BSers and liars .. but it was a very little sentence.. really...
 GuitarGuy_
Msg: 16
Posted: 8/17/2007 11:55:14 AM
LOL yeah sometimes you read...

no this
no that
no games
no players
no wannabes
no haters
no users
no abusers

and you think holy $hit, bitter, someone has done that person WRONG!!!!!

Ouch
 Mesnafugal
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/17/2007 1:34:43 PM
^^^ that's it exactly.. and who among us has not been hurt and screwed over? I'm just saying that sometimes we do get so fed up we put some our disappointments on our profiles and it just makes us look like we live our life angry and bitter when it was just for a long enough time to type more than we should have on that blank spot on the page. We get over it.. but forget to take it off the profile.. oops.. like I said, I had to go check to make sure mine was off from the last time I got pissed off.
 LilFoxFire
Msg: 18
Posted: 8/18/2007 12:20:30 PM

think it's best to keep your profile free of negativity as much as possible.

Totally agree!
 GuitarGuy_
Msg: 19
Posted: 8/18/2007 3:42:54 PM

Read *my* rants ... guaranteed good time

;)

But it's sooooo wordy :(
 Biggie_CA
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/18/2007 4:40:53 PM
Most of those "rants" are pretty funny.
If they really wanted to rant they'd start a topic in the Forums to do so.
 1O
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/19/2007 1:16:06 PM
I don't completely agree with the OP. In my opinion, rants in one's profile aren't always negative. Some rants are positive and even constructive.

Consider the comedian and political satirist Dennis Miller on TV. His rants convey a message, are entertaining, and encourage people to think about a topic by presenting it as a rant. I regard them as positive rants.

The rants at "Speakers' Corner" (Hyde Park in London, Toronto in Canada, etc.) tend to be negative, but a few good speakers are able to present positive ones. Rants tend to be monologues rather than dialogues, whether spoken or written in profiles, complaining negatively or intellectually stimulating positively.

Of course most rants are negative, and express one's intolerance or frustration. Those rants are based on negative emotions and are hopefully transient. They do make the writer seem angry and bitter, and generally not easy to get along with. Negative people aren't much fun to spend time with, let alone having as companions.

Anyway, the topic here is "Why do you post your rants on profile?" So, I won't get into speculating about why others do it. That's already been well answered by several members in this thread. In the past I've had rants in my profile, which I considered positive, to stimulate friendly debates. I've even labelled and delineated them as rants. Here are 2 made-up examples:

In my opinion POF discriminates against bisexuals. In your profile there's no option to declare that you're seeking men and women! And if you make 2 profiles (in order to include each), that's against the Rules and you risk having both profiles deleted! Is that fair?
(and so on, backing up my opinion...)

Or even:

Why do some profiles just have pics of body parts with no head? Some girls display photos of their nice 'melons', but why do they hide their face? Are they too ugly or insecure to let people see their face? Ditto for the guys. Sure, they've got rippling fit abs, but is that their one and only good feature? Are they being shallow or do they have a horribly deformed face, or what?
(and so on with different anatomical features...)

Actually, the topics of those 2 rants don't bother me. I certainly don't let it upset me and I'm not even angry or complaining. Just making a point. I was only trying to get people thinking about it, and perhaps have a friendly debate.

Now I save my "positive rants" for the forums. In my profile some people were interpreting them as negative whiny complaints.

But you can't please everyone. Recently a woman sent me a rude message criticising me for my choice of UserName! Like: "You arrogant pompous pig! You think you're a Perfect 10? Well, you're not! You're just a (lots of obscene words). How dare you call yourself a 10!...etc..."
I replied with something like "I'm sorry that you misunderstood. It means 10 percent. It's likely also my IQ, as well as the size of a certain body part IN CENTIMETRES,..." (10 centimetres is about 4 inches!)
Hey, I can do a much better job of putting myself down than she can.

(End Of Rant :)
 Witchypoo
Msg: 22
Posted: 8/19/2007 1:28:36 PM

If i came across a user name of witchypoo, i'd pass it up with a quickness. Witchy anything...

Well I do thank the Goddess that you'll be passing me by. Who needs angry, bitter judgmental jack knobs in their life. Certainly not I.

Best
:))
Witchy
 AtHomeInTheWoods
Msg: 23
Posted: 8/31/2007 6:02:02 AM
Wasting a whole profile on bad things suitors have done to you in past is probably not going to attract somebody positive. I mean I am not going to want to contact a bitter hostile person let alone meet and get involved with such baggage. Women who use their profile to declare they dont want any abusers or scammers are probably going to attract just the kind of man that they claim not to want. Just like con artists sell sucker lists of people they've successfully swindled cause if they will fall for it once....

Now some very bright person might be able to rant in a humorous manner and not alienate, but even thats tricky. Better to keep things positive then just remember the type of person who did you wrong in past relationship and hit delete button if such a person contacts you.
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 24
Posted: 8/31/2007 7:16:20 AM
Face it folks, this is cyber land.. and people can say whatever they want.

We're supposed to be making first impressions with our profiles. Not scaring people or warning them.

Maybe when a profile was written, the person was recently burned or whatever, but you're trying to give a GOOD impression, so ranting about the liars and creeps does make one seem bitter and that type of profile screams one of two things:

"Avoid me like the plague!"

OR

"Look at me.. I'm easily screwed over!"

Neither are good.

It's simple logic... you're trying to attract someone to you (for those of you who are trying to date/mate here), so WHY on earth wouldn't you put all the best stuff out there?
 beachdancer
Msg: 25
Posted: 8/31/2007 9:06:00 AM
People who lie to me insult my intelligence. I do figure it out or find out. Myself, telling the truth is easier. I am too lazy to lie, it just takes too much thought and energy. Furthermore it would insult your intelligence.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Why do you post your rants on profile???