Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Let's talk turkey......and stuff(ing).      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Naughtical
Msg: 1
Let's talk turkey......and stuff(ing).Page 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Sure, it's a few months before Thanksgiving but it will be here before we know it.

What is your favorite way to cook a turkey? Do you have the same menu year after year? What unique side dish do you make or what do you do to make a traditional one special? Of course.........we have to talk about the deserts, too.

Tell us your ideal Thanksgiving menu........even if *gasps* it doesn't include turkey.
 Naughtical
Msg: 2
Let's talk turkey......and stuff(ing).
Posted: 8/18/2007 7:51:02 PM
I like the traditional:

Oven baked turkey (although I'm gonna try the deep fried...one day)
cornbread dressing
mashed potatoes with giblet gravy
corn on the cob
green bean casserole.....what can I say?
candied yams
macaroni and cheese
cranberry sauce
dinner rolls
pumpkin pie, pecan pie and chocolate cake
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 3
Posted: 8/18/2007 8:14:16 PM
next time i do a turkey i think i will try that stuffing ileana...i sometimes add nuts...either walnuts or almonds to mine...and egg to bind everything...
 Naughtical
Msg: 4
Posted: 8/18/2007 9:08:40 PM
I googled "hog maw"

the definition I got said...."pig stomach and you may want to stop reading here", so I did.
Genre......everything else sounds delicious.
 Naughtical
Msg: 5
Posted: 8/18/2007 11:48:41 PM
christi: I, personally don't eat cranberry sauce (that's from a can) but it's kind of a tradition for me, my family always had it.

You put the can in the fridge and let it chill......getting it out of the can was a little tricky. Anyone out there know what I am talking about? (the hole in the bottom of the can)

My family loved slice cranberry sauce on sandwiches made with the leftover turkey.

Denim and Pearls: Can you elaborate on the brine? Did you soak the turkey when it was raw? Are we talking salt? Sounds interesting.
 Naughtical
Msg: 6
Posted: 8/19/2007 7:22:34 AM

Canned cranberry sauce, chilled, sliced, and usually forgotten in the fridge until dinner is almost over. Does anyone else do this too?

Are you kidding? That's a family tradition.
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/19/2007 7:42:28 AM
ileana...for home use i always stuff birds...but the health unit here says that for restaurants...stuffing must be cooked as a side...
in all honesty i have never had a problem with stuffing inside a bird...and i have eaten a few turkeys in my life...i guess the health unit takes a "better safe than sorry" attitude...(almost to the point of being a tad retentive)
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/19/2007 7:46:20 AM

Canned cranberry sauce, chilled, sliced, and usually forgotten in the fridge until dinner is almost over. Does anyone else do this too? Am I the only one who forgets the cranberry cr*p until it's midnight sandwich time?

i usually find it in time for xmas...then forget about it until easter...scrape off the yucky looking "skin" on it...put on your best homer simpson voice and say..."its still good...its still good"...lmao
 Glass Slipper11
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/19/2007 11:08:13 AM
Mmmmmmm, the cranberry quiche sounds really good Genrae. I'm going to file that one, for sure. Always seems to be so much leftover cranberry sauce.... what to do with it? Perfect. I do use canned from time to time (gasp).... prefer making my own with a little grand marnier and orange zest. Adds a little twist.
 Naughtical
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/19/2007 3:24:14 PM
I almost forgot to mention......we usually have a ham, also. Some people actually don't care for turkey *gasps*. I keep it simple and make the glaze for it from pineapple juice and brown sugar. Top it with sliced pineapples and cherries and it is almost too pretty to eat.
 mookiera
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2007 4:09:51 PM
Wow!! I never realized how much Thanksgiving is celebrated in the great white north.
Brining the turkey makes for the juciest breasts!
Brine overnight. For a 14lb bird, start cooking @ 350, breast side down for
45mins, then 25mins on each side. Then turn it breast side up and cover with foil for about 30mins, then remove foil to brown the breast skin.
I love cornbread stuffing best, with mushrooms and onions to help keep it moist.
I never put it in the bird, it takes sooo much longer to cook the bird and too easy
to overcook and dry out the meat.
My other favorite side is butternut squash au gratin. So rich, so creamy, I get raves everytime I make it. Key to pealing it is just use a regular vegetable pealer. Yes, it
really works. Slice and blanche for a couple of minutes before puttin it all together for the oven.
Homemade pumpkin pies are easy, and so so much better than store bought.
Last, but not least, do not serve cranberry sauce from a can! Do you know that they haven't canned that stuff in @ least 75 years! We all have known people who have
cans in their pantry since before their grandmothers were born.
Fresh cranberry sauce is so easy. Just take a big microwave safe bowl, slice an apple or two into it, pour in a bag of cranberries. Microwave on high for 5 - 10 minutes, stirring every 2 -3 minutes. The apples pretty much turn to mush and the cranberries all open up and you will have more flavor than you ever thought possible. You will need to add sugar or sweetener to taste, maybe a lot. I also like to add crumbled walnuts and lemon zest. Don't ever have much leftover, but it's so easy to make more
to go on those inevitable turkey and mayo and cranberry sauce sandwiches.
I always start practicing a month early, don't wanna screw up on the big day!
Enjoy!!!
 JustKelly70
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2007 4:25:55 PM
I keep it simple...I go to moms!!!, I don't care if I have turkey, I could live off her stuffing. Anyone can cook a turkey, its the fixin's that makes it Great!!
 bizeebee
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2007 4:31:29 PM
I still cook my turkey the way Mom taught me. The bird gets a bath and then a massage with salt pepper and "Bell's" Seasoning. Chop up an apple or two and put it in the cavity. Put the bird in a paper bag (grocery sack) wet it down a bit. After that bake it in a 325-350 oven according to weight. I make the stuffing on the side. I add some pan drippings and bake it while the bird is resting.

Sides include mashed potatoes, creamed onions, English peas, winter squash and cranberry sauce. Pumpkin pie is essential for me.

I like to brine most poultry, but have not done it with turkey as most of the turkey we get is already full of water and such. Would love to know if you are brining supermarket turkeys. I might try it as I love what it does for chicken.

BZB
 Naughtical
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/20/2007 8:16:00 PM
ileanakilin: That's some pretty fancy deviled eggs you're talking about. My family wouldn't eat them.....they would think they were some sort of table decoration. Would love to know what you do with the whites. Sounds like a great way to spruce up an age old favorite appetizer.

WindRoper: Your mother sounds just like mine. Gotta love 'em and I'll probably be the same way one day.
 Naughtical
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/21/2007 8:52:54 PM
Random: Sausage stuffing is awesome. Never made it myself and only tried it once. Would love some recipes. What kind of sausage, how to make the stuffing............stuff like that. Thanks.
 JustKelly70
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2007 4:21:44 PM
Good time to revive this, Thanksgiving weeknd here in Canada, I'm liking the recipe's here..
 Naughtical
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/2/2007 7:45:09 PM
Kelly and all you other Canadians................................

HaPpY ThaNKsgIviNg !!!!
 Naughtical
Msg: 18
Posted: 11/8/2007 3:55:44 PM
WhyMyName: Wow......that is quite an impressive menu you have line up. Lucky family. However it seems like too much work for me. Sounds delicious, though.
 HappyJohn9
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/9/2007 10:29:04 AM
If I'm the one making the turkey I cheat and get a precooked one at the grocery store.

Stuffing, on the other hand, I ALWAYS make from scratch. My Mom has a very delicious (and in no way healthy) sausage stuffing. Takes about 30 minutes of prep and and 45 minutes to bake. No, I don't cook it in the turkey.

It's a big hit at "bring-a-dish" Thanksgiving parties.

True Confession: I usually make two so I can keep one at home at Thanksgiving even if I'm going elsewhere for dinner.
 Naughtical
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/9/2007 10:43:48 AM
happyjohn: Gonna share that recipe or is it a family secret? Not nice to tease us like that.
 Naughtical
Msg: 21
Posted: 11/13/2007 10:53:34 AM
Thanksgiving is only a little over a week away...........need to hear more dinner ideas and don't forget the deserts!!!
 AceOfSpace
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/13/2007 11:14:25 AM
Tricks to keep the white meat moist:

1. Brine! Nothing like it. The above recipe sounds great!

2. Cook the bird upside down. Dark meat needs to get hotter to cook through. If the bird is right side up, the breast gets overcooked before the thighs are done.

3. Brown it first. Start the bird off at 450F. When it's golden brown, turn the heat down to 350F. The high heat will penetrate better so the bird cooks quicker and the center gets done before things start to dry out. Also, the carmelized flavors from the toasted skin penetrate the entire bird that way.

4. Before cooking, loosen the skin and pack it with herb-butter and/or greens. Spinach, chard, basil, with savory herbs like thyme, rosemary (easy does it), and sage. They'll protect the breast from direct heat and give the slices a very nice look.

5. Bag the bird. Even roasting in a paper bag works. The meat steams and poaches, which keeps it moist.

6. If it's a small group, cook a breast by itself--bone in. This works amazingly well, as it's all white meat and when it's done, it's perfect! The bone contains a lot of good flavor and it's really not the same without it. Start it with the bone side up, as the bone takes longer to get hot than the meat. Use high heat!
 Naughtical
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/17/2007 7:45:26 PM
^^^"It's just too dry"

Turkey can be but there have been some great tips given to keep that from happening......can't wait to try them out.

Okay......Thanksgiving is only 5 days away now, I know there has to be some more great ideas and recipes out there. Don't be stingy with them.
Hadn't heard from too many people saying they were frying them this year......is that passe'? I hope not.....I haven't tried one cooked that way, yet.
 Naughtical
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/19/2007 8:29:56 PM
This whole "brining" thing has me real interested. I have never even heard of it until this thread. I would like to try it but it is kinda scary trying something new when you are cooking for a lot of guests.

Would love to hear from others who have done it. One great sounding recipe for brining has been given......anyone have any others?
 LiteMan
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 11/20/2007 2:35:15 AM
Reading this thread is making me hungry...
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Let's talk turkey......and stuff(ing).