Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Real life or the Internet.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 darkjedi1
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Real life or the Internet.Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I prefer meeting someone online. You can get to know someone much better online then in person. In person you have the first impression of looks and all that, online you can get to know the person without that. Im really shy in person too, not so much online.
 Leeanne
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Real life or the Internet.
Posted: 8/21/2007 7:43:04 PM
I had a short window in the dating world - about 2.5 years. In that time I found the internet dating way better because the get to know you chat was easier and way more informative. It was also easier to relate on a casual basis and make decisions about meeting face to face. Plus you could meet a lot more on the internet and people from places you may not have ventured to meet people before!
 darkjedi1
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2007 9:02:46 PM

Darkjedi1 – Obviously, you’re very comfortable with the technology part of it. Do you think you get an accurate representation of the folks you correspond with prior to actually meeting in person?

If you talk to them long enough, no way would I meet someone after only talking to them for a week or two. If someone is lying about something, eventually they will trip up and make a mistake. My last ex g/f we met online, she messaged me on icq. We talked for about two months or so online before ever calling each other. Thats one good thing about webcams, you can turn them on and actually see each other and not go thru just pics.
 zoomzoomzoom
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/21/2007 11:24:51 PM
I prefer Real life... the internet is okay but meeting someone for the first time in person with no previous knowledge is much better... Too bad its not as easy as that tho'. I find when I have met someone, I am interviewing them as if on net... Oh this is a mind opener......what am I to do????
 Sweetlilmeee
Msg: 8
Posted: 8/21/2007 11:48:38 PM
I don't really prefer one way or the other. I've met a lot of people in real life and seem to get along with them better but thats just because the whole "I'm trying to meet someone that I want to date, I want this and this and this" isn't apparent in someone's profile. But online I've talked with a lot of people I wouldn't have been able to in real life. See I live in the middle of no where, one of those hick towns and so on here I talk to people from all over the state (my side anyway *western WA*) I wouldn't have met them that easily in real life. So its pretty much a mix.

I've only met a few from online but I know a load of people from real life... I think that evens out.
 DeeMC
Msg: 9
Posted: 8/22/2007 12:43:06 AM
It's so much easier to "meet" people on-line...and so much easier to "type" what someone wants to hear...and so much easier for someone to keep you right where they "want" you...things that come "easily" in life usually weren't worth it to begin with. I think true chemistry gets lost along the keyboard.
 §püngl䧧
Msg: 10
Posted: 8/22/2007 3:30:53 AM
I live in a small town on the outskirts of a relatively small city so the internet is my main means of meeting "new" people. I wouldn't date people that I work with...and I have children, so it leaves me little opportunity to meet people outside the circle of friends I already know. I obviously haven't found the right person for me yet, but I've had fun meeting new people this way.
 Leeanne
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2007 8:19:50 AM

Congradulations Leeanne. Best of luck. I’m assuming you met him online?

First thanks for the congrats! I did meet my husband because of being on line! I decided when I joined here I would be completely proactive in my search for Mr. Right - so I not only chatted on line and meet guys for dates - I also attended local events held by POF members. Sometimes I would simply go to events alone - just to get out and to be seen. One evening I dragged a friend out to a POF dance and my husband was standing near the door - I chatted him up and the future unfolded. So I guess it was a bit of 'real life' and being on line that got us together - however it all comes back to being proactive on line!
 Vitiate
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/22/2007 10:36:21 AM
Internet = meeting people for friendships and somewhere done the line, if it works for you...

Internet = random hook-ups with people you think will be better looking than they wind up being...

In Person = Relationship potentials/ Friend potentials/ Visibly attractive (or not) random hookups...

You decide.
 dirtbag2
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2007 11:43:24 PM
I never did and still don't view the internet as a primary means for finding a potential partner. However, it can be great place to make friends who share common interests.

That being said, I met my Man through the internet-- but not on a dating site. We spoke on the phone once in a blue moon for two years or so. It wasn't until he made the offer of a shoulder to cry on when I left my last bf that I got to know him really well. We started spending time together, and it wasn't long before I realized we had incredible chemistry. Apparently, the feeling was very mutual.

Nearly two years later, the chemistry is still there
 Kisseyface
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2009 3:26:34 PM
Well unfortunately the world tends to shrink as we get older. What I've found is that most venues are filled with rather young people. After that you don't want to date someone you work with - god forbid it doesn't work out - you don't want to hang around bars - been to all the volunteer opportunites..so I guess this is what is left.
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Real life or the Internet.