Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Sexually Active Seniors      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Myschievous1
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Sexually Active SeniorsPage 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Study finds seniors still sexually active

By Sharon Jayson, USA TODAY

Americans pushing 60, 70, 80 or even 90 don't forgo sex just because they're aging, according a new study that shows many older adults are having sex well into their 70s and 80s. The University of Chicago study being published Thursday in the New England Journal of Medicine is being called the first comprehensive look at the sex lives of older adults in the USA. It portrays an image that researchers say runs counter to the stereotypes of older people as either asexual or "dirty old men." "Sexuality discussion in later life has long been a taboo subject," says Stacy Tessler Lindau, a gynecologist and the study's lead author. "This study for first time provides information that allows people to see where their experiences align against others of similar health and age status. The data tell the world that older people do not give up sexuality by virtue of their age."

Based on data collected from 3,005 adults ages 57 to 85 during two-hour face-to-face interviews between July 2005 and March 2006, the findings show that many are sexually active, as long as their health holds out. In the preceding 12 months, 73% of those ages 57 to 64, 53% of those ages 65 to 74 and 26% of those ages 75 to 85 said they were sexually active. Among those reporting good or excellent health, 81% of men and 51% of women said they had been sexually active in the past year compared to just 47% of men and 26% of women reporting fair or poor health. "Little is known about sexual activity of older adults and how it's associated with health," says Georgeanne Patmios of the National Institute on Aging, which as part of the National Institutes of Health supported the research. "What we knew before this study came from research using highly self-selected populations or smaller subgroups, and it was often designed by advocacy groups. This is the first nationally-representative comprehensive data on sexual activity, behaviors and problems among this older population group."

The study found that men overall were more likely to have partners in later life and more likely to be sexually active. Older women were less likely to be sexually active because they often outlive their partners and men tend to marry younger women.
The most common reason for sexual inactivity among both men and women was the male partner's physical health problem, the study found. About half of the sexually active adults reported at least one "bothersome" sexual problem; 37% of men cited erectile dysfunction and 43% of women cited low desire.

The study says "sexual problems are frequent among older adults." But human sexuality researcher John DeLamater, who did not participate in the study, says the University of Chicago researchers "have a tendency to focus on dysfunction." He says most sexuality studies conducted in the USA are studying sex as it relates to problems, such as teen sex, HIV or sexually transmitted diseases.

DeLamater, a University of Wisconsin sociology professor who has studied human sexuality for 35 years, cites a "debate" as to whether low sexual desire should be considered a sexual problem. "Some older men and women believe they shouldn't be having sex because they're older," he says. "Women are more likely to consider it inappropriate." He also questions the notion in the research that a drop in sexual activity is health-related. The study cites diabetes' association with erectile dysfunction and a lower prevalence of sexual activity. DeLamater says the most important factor determining a woman's sexual activity is an available partner. "It has nothing to do with their health," he says.

He says his studies suggest that for both men and women low sexual desire was the major reason for declines in sexual activity. DeLamater does agree with the Chicago researchers that there is a lack of information offered by physicians to older adults about their sexuality and aging. "The silence among physicians is certainly a problem because physicians are in a position to help people identify something they can do about it if they want to," he says.

In addition to the lengthy interviews, participants in the University of Chicago study completed questionnaires dealing with sexual activities and social relationships and provided physiological specimens, including blood spots and saliva and vaginal swabs to be used in follow-up health studies.

Among other findings:

•54% of the oldest sexually active respondents reported having sex at least two to three times per month; 23% reported having sex once a week or more.

•About half of men and women under age 75 engaged in oral sex in the previous 12 months.

•14% of men reported taking medication to improve sexual function; 1% of women reported taking such drugs.

•38% of men and 22% of women reported having discussed sex with a physician since the age of 50.

These findings aren't a surprise to Robert Butler, a physician who headed the National Institute on Aging from 1975 to 1982. He and his late wife Myrna Lewis co-wrote the 1976 book Sex After Sixty and revised it several times, most recently in 2002. "This study reaffirms the realization that older people do still enjoy lovemaking and it's significant in their lives," he says.
 flaming_phyre
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Sexually Active Seniors
Posted: 8/23/2007 7:20:58 AM
OMG, there's hope!!!
 Girlflower
Msg: 3
Sexually Active Seniors
Posted: 8/23/2007 9:51:29 AM
Goes to show you the old expression..

There may be snow on the roof..
But there is still fire in the basement!!!

I've always loved... The older the Stag..
The harder the Horn...!!!!

Sure hope I find my guy soon.... lol!
Girlflower
 Myschievous1
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Sexually Active Seniors
Posted: 8/23/2007 1:38:38 PM
As the person who started this thread .......... a couple of thoughts I would like to add.......I am pushing 60 and still have a very healthy libdo which I attribute to the use it or lose it approach plus genetics (as my grandfather died at 86 when he was planning his 5th marriage, having outlived the other 4, to a woman who was 20 years younger, with whom he had a very active sexual connection), so guys quit hesitating, put the effort into finding a partner so you can keep the mechanics functional. You ladies ......... the articles say if anything you are more interested in having sex than the men........so quit being shy and do something about it. I have conversed with many ladies that married young and are now alone and who are still are living 1950's morality. Sex with your true love is magnificant and we all want that, but sex with a friend is way better than no sex at all..........for both parties. Being shy or coy or prim + proper is not going to get you cuddled, is not going to make you feel alive and desireable..........so get aggressive, pursue enjoying life rather than just playing bingo and hangin with your girlfriends. What have you got to lose Ladies .........your reputation, like when you were young and cared about what other people thought, I think not ............your running out of time, so use it or lose it and quit waiting for some man to make the first move ...........this is the new millenium
 Girlflower
Msg: 5
Sexually Active Seniors
Posted: 8/23/2007 2:12:55 PM
"What have you got to lose Ladies .........your reputation, like when you were young and cared about what other people thought, I think not ............your running out of time, so use it or lose it and quit waiting for some man to make the first move ...........this is the new millenium"

It is easy to Tell Someone.. how they need to change and it is another for that person To Change... As a Boomer.. I was raised to believe Women do not call men. We don't make the first move. That our reputation is of upmost importance in finding a mate in the first place. Having overcome the obsticle of being first to contact (email) a man.. and that was heavy lifting... Still haven't called a man for a Date.... And I'm not going to be hanging out on any street corners looking for a man to pass me by to Get Some...lol.

I don't hang out with the girls... if I do go out it is alone or just two ladies having a drink not a gaggle of hens.. and WE ARE looking and or are usually double dating with our POFers. I've never thought of a Bingo Hall as a place to meet men. And most of the guys I see out alone are the ones I wouldn't have dated in High School so why would I stoop so low now.

Nuff said... If I see HIM... I won't let anything stop me from making it known I'm Interested.... But supply and demand at this stage of life is very evident. It is just that very small supply of accceptable available bed partners that most older women are experiencing....! I don't think we have lost interest it is just that we never know when we might be stepping on another womans toes.. the guys already taken... or the threat of a major STD that keeps a mature woman from becoming a Wanton Woman..

I learned a very valuable lesson after my divorce.. when I lost all my married girlfriends.. and it most likely is true for widows.. other women with men don't want you around their man! So there is a great devide between the single women and married women at this stage in life.. and a loss of sources to meet great guys!

I will always follow my concious when seeking a bedmate.... Do What You Want to Do.. As Long As It Does Not Lower Yourself In Your Own Estimation.... we have to look at ourselves in the mirror and like who we see... life is very long when you don't like yourself!

Why are older women alone... yuck because the available men are the guys who were sitting in the back of the classroom picking his.... fill in the blank! As usual all the cool guys already have a girlfriend or a wife!

(for all you hunky dudes please you know who you are and are not offended by my remarks....and are self confident enough to defend my remark.) the rest well.. bash away and give yoursel away...!

Mature Yes... sometimes alone yes... desperate Never!!

Girlflower
 marita_b
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Sexually Active Seniors
Posted: 8/23/2007 2:44:43 PM
"What have you got to lose Ladies .........your reputation, like when you were young and cared about what other people thought, I think not ............your running out of time, so use it or lose it and quit waiting for some man to make the first move ...........this is the new millenium"
============================================================

"What have you got to lose Ladies ????,....
plenty,....the seniors among us are the highest growing group in STD's,....

I grew up when the pill came out,..the qestion was the same then and the demands on us were unreasonable,...many men expected what they expect today,...

Dinner pays for a shagg,....

I like to be "With" someone when I want to be,.... and not because it's expected,..
and some people I don't feel comfortable with after a drink or cup of coffee or even a dinner,....

If all you want is to get laid,..well then fine,...knock yourself out,...
go bareback if you like,....it's your bodies,....

I personally like to know who I am swapping spit with,..
and how they have behaved with other's,.....
chances are they will do likewise with me
or not,....That will be my choice,....

Just because we are older we don't have to all of a sudden become stupid,...
or any more careless then we insisted our children should be,....

desperation is unbecomming,....Class isn't,...in either sex
 Singlemale1962
Msg: 7
Sexually Active Seniors
Posted: 8/23/2007 4:22:37 PM
Or alternately

"you know sex is coming
when the teeth are in a glass and the gums are rubbing'
 SueCat51
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Sexually Active Seniors
Posted: 8/24/2007 3:46:06 PM
I'm not surprised. There isn't anything new when it comes to this article. People have been having sex from the time they figured out "how", until the day they die. Today, there's a thing called "TMI" - "too much information". We're an information hungry world, so each and everything from A-Z, we've gotta spill the beans.
 Myschievous1
Msg: 9
view profile
History
In Defence
Posted: 8/25/2007 8:50:44 AM
First I accomplished my purpose by posting the article..........discussion ........hopefully the exchanging of ideas. Not a bad response so far!!! Second, LADIES, when and where did I say to lose yourself self-respect, or to be promiscuous, I simply suggested that if you were interested in someone ..........show it, be more aggressive. Let the poor dumb bugger know that he has a chance to audition for the position of your special someone. You ladies that re-acted that way are exactly the ones I'm talking to .........quit hiding behind your self-righteousness and get in the game. As to STD's where did I suggest that women were stupid???? Until you are in a long standing committed relationship, condoms are standard operating proceedure these days.........again ladies, don't be shy, demand protection and then enjoy. Well this should get a few more reactions and posts, especially from the self-righteous (lol) and that is the reason for forums
 almost_elvis
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Protecting yourself
Posted: 8/25/2007 9:35:28 AM
As a man who has been single most of his adult life, I am well aware of the risks to one's health.

One understated contraceptive product that came onto the market 10 years ago is the Reality female condom.

Ladies, one of the biggest challenges your older men will face with age is declining sensation and response. Older men will particularly shy away from traditional male condoms. The female condoms are much more pleasant for the man and he will have no excuses.

It will take a bit of practice mastering the technology, but well worth the effort. As a bonus, the product is self lubricating, which is important for post-menopausal women.

Ironically, I showed my patent agent this concept in the 1980's, but he told me contraceptives were not patentable under the law at that time in Canada.I therefore have no financial stake in the advancement of it.

So seniors, be creative, have fun, be safe, and live long.
 scorpiored49
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Sexually Active Seniors
Posted: 8/25/2007 9:46:23 AM
wowsad
I'm sorry but this "senior" has just got to say her peice....
First off, "senior's" aren't the only ones guilty of spreading thier stuff around...

And something else, seniors aren't the only ones that "freely" go around popping the
magic blue pills....I've known 1 or 2 "Juniors" that had to have some of those magic pills to get thier equipment started.....
So maybe you just hadn't been around quite long enough to know exactly what all you're talkin about.....and something else.....this ole senior don't have any plans to stop being sexually active...just because of my age....afterall....age is just a number..
 almost_elvis
Msg: 12
view profile
History
In Defence
Posted: 8/25/2007 10:22:28 AM
The latest news reports specifically highlighted the ever increasing sexual health risk as adults enter retirement homes.

Seniors have enough difficulties in their life surviving.

Many older women will be "tempted to jump in the sac with anyone" even if he is not "packing a condom".

I respect your values.

I am looking to give seniors some options on how to live longer. And the knowledge that I possess may save one person's life.

So I have no reserve in sharing my experiences with older people who grew up in a society that discouraged them from getting frank answers to important questions in the name of somebody's righteousness.
 marita_b
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Protecting yourself
Posted: 8/25/2007 11:24:52 AM
Myschievous1

First I accomplished my purpose by posting the article..........discussion ........hopefully the exchanging of ideas. Not a bad response so far!!! Second, LADIES, when and where did I say to lose yourself self-respect, or to be promiscuous, I simply suggested that if you were interested in someone ..........show it, be more aggressive.

============================================================

well now that's a lot easier to say than do,..especially for women who were raised that it's the man who does the chasing,...and a ldie doesn't go to a bar alone,...unless she's lookin' for just one thing,....

we (my generation)of women,... have had to get used to far more than our predecessing one,...
at a time when most of them were enjoying their so called golded years,...
we now have to figure out how to get and keep a job,... not to mention a roof over our heads,..
(since our 40 year old exes traded us in for 2 twenty's).
and when not doing that,..be dependent on ourselves, something that doesn't come naturally to all of my ilk,...
and .learning how to be single and datingagain,..something as I remember,....
I did't much like the when I as in my 20's

I now have to jump out of my skin,..go against the grain and become aggressive too?

not to mention many of us are at an age where we have grandchildren learning the facts of life,..we now have to re-learn them, and new technology,..and pharmacology, and what's new among the STD's of the day,....and how to date and be agressive???

and one other thing although I am absolutely into the notion of having qality sex for as long as you can,....there's one more thing to consider,...not all of us (or I dare ay many of us) are physically unable to do what we might like to,... in our mind's eye,....and who wants to on a first or second date go,...

well dear,..it's like tis this knee doesn't bend that way anymore and oh yea this hip was just replaced so I have to take it easy on that for a while,....and while we're at it, I can't lay on my back in one position for too long,..arthritus,..you know,...and don't even think of bending that leg over my head,....
I've killed for less,...

Geeper's I know that would kill the mood for me,...but
having sex with someone you know,..and care about makes that senario come out differently,....
you then modify your behaviour ,....gladly,.... because you care,....

would someone who can't even remember your name the next day do that?
and why should they,..after all,...they are only there to get laid anyway,....

I say if the thought of sticking his toothbrush in your mouth the next day grosses you out,...then your not ready,...but that's only my opinion,...for me,...

and one more thing,...I'm not 20 and I know it,...but,....
if and when,...... I choose to sleep with someone,...
I at least want to feel that way for a while,....
for anything and everything less,...there's always the palm sister's,....
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 14
Sexually Active Seniors
Posted: 9/8/2007 6:34:39 PM

"what do old people teach us.....but how to die...."

That was both stupid and very cruel. Got news for you, Bunky ~~ we raised our kids, and did our time in the salt mines, and how we choose to spend our free time now that we have some is, frankly, none of your d*mn bidness.

MacKevinized
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Sexually Active Seniors
Posted: 9/8/2007 10:18:44 PM
Duh...
So what! It's like you know how to cut and paste so you don't have to do all that typing to show you're interested in sex and draw in others that would be titillated by it.
Is there anything really interesting in hearing about studies that you agree with, What's to discuss? is there a question or what?
Maybe I'm just too tired, I hope have some crazy geriatric porn dreams now ewww
 Gaddflye
Msg: 16
Sexually Active Seniors
Posted: 9/30/2008 4:19:46 PM
These results are gratifying. Looks like we get to keep on truckin' with an F for many a moon.
 arwen52
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Sexually Active Seniors
Posted: 10/1/2008 9:53:50 PM

Is it common for seniors to be concerned about "safe sex?"

Probably not, but it should be. An acquaintance who works in health care told me one of the more recent cases of AIDS in our city is a middleclass white 60 year old woman. Age is no protection from infection.

I'm glad to hear about the study. I'm 55, occasionally wonder what lies ahead. Nice to know I can keep having fun.
 sensualmassage42
Msg: 18
Sexually Active Seniors
Posted: 10/3/2008 2:41:44 PM
Black Toy Poodle:

I wanted to make note of the fact that many older men seem to want the younger women. Any comments, guys????

I'm 58 and desire a lady close to my age. I would much prefer to go out with a lady my age than one 20 years younger. When I go out dancing I often see older men with ladies much younger than them. Personally I think it looks like a mismatch and the younger ladies make the gray-haired men look even older. And I also wonder why a beautiful young lady would want to go out with a man that is not only much older but also looks it too. In addition it would seem likely that she will end up being a widow because her older partner died many years before her.
 sensualmassage42
Msg: 19
Protecting yourself
Posted: 10/3/2008 3:26:26 PM
almost_elvis:

Ladies, one of the biggest challenges your older men will face with age is declining sensation...

I used condoms for about 24 years with my wife because she didn't like the mood changes the pill caused. However, at 48 there was a declining of sensation and I decided to have a vasectomy and stop using condoms with her. Ten years later even bareback I'm experiencing such a low level of sensation that I often don't orgasm in spite of extended sex. But just to show how big of a role the brain plays in sex, I can cum very quickly when my partner and I start talking dirty and fantasizing. Being open to new techniques is certainly helpful as the body starts showing signs of aging.

Because of declining sensation, the use of condoms can mean no sensation. The result can mean no orgasms or even not being able to maintain an erection with no sensation to sustain it. I wonder how many older people are willing to risk disease as a result. Certainly older people are aware of the risks. They probably don't need their children telling them to play safely. Smokers choose to continue smoking knowing it can cause cancer and even when they get cancer. Some older sexually active people believe sex is enjoyable enough to risk disease. Sex for many older persons is too much fun to do without.
 sensualmassage42
Msg: 20
Sexually Active Seniors
Posted: 10/3/2008 3:39:48 PM
^^Batgirl^^:

I suppose the next question would be: How do you explain that to the grandkids?

Well, if the grandkids are old enough to be having sex, you let them know that they'll be having fun for many years to cum.

Depending on the personalities and relationships involved they might be grossed out thinking their grandparents are having hot sex or they might think you are really cool people.
 KathyInPA
Msg: 21
Sexually Active Seniors
Posted: 11/1/2008 5:26:29 PM
Somemomojo,
I found your profile interesting but different then you write on this forum. Your profile screams sex, yet here you write a much more down to earth explaination about what you really want. I open my profile with "looking for a playful partner" and I get all the sex offers I could possibly want, when that is not "all" that I want. I don't feel that sex is an adventure, its not much different then 30 years ago. What is an adventure though is this dating thing. Relationships are so different now. There seems to be no "getting to know you" before the intimacy is pursued. Sex has become the new first date expectation it seems, which is such a turn off for me. Even if I find you attractive and there is chemistry, I'd want to know more about you before we jump into bed. Maybe I am old school and I'm okay with that. I disagree with the use it or lose it belief. There has to be some self-control until you find what you are looking for. There are ways to use "it" without having to sleep around. All you need is a good imagination.
 c_deacon
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Sexually Active Seniors
Posted: 3/23/2010 5:13:16 PM
Damn those Seniors in High School anyway......to young to know what they are doing.............Wait, we are not talking about them are we???........Never mind!!

I am in as well......Nothing better than a hot 60+ year old that looks 50, acts 40 and can afford to keep me happy!!.....

cd......
 TryAgan
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Sexually Active Seniors
Posted: 3/24/2010 4:44:28 AM
^^^

I also found when I switched to eating 100 % raw that my energy level went up an additional few notches.. ....
My house has never been this clean and my work output I can compare to in my 20's and 30's.

I can only imagine the intensity of the raw sexual output.
It might be a good idea to bring some carrots and cucumbers to help out the partner.

BTW, to obtain such benefits, do you have to switch to 100% raw food, or would also a partial mix be noticeable?
 calisto04
Msg: 24
Sexually Active Seniors
Posted: 3/24/2010 8:50:45 PM

My mother and her SO are still quite active. She told me so after I asked her how long people are interested in sex.

Most of my friends report the men grow very disinterested by the time they reach the age of "seniors" and many begin to have ED problems.

A lot depends on how fat the guy gets and being so out of shape they have no endurance.
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Sexually Active Seniors
Posted: 5/27/2010 8:39:33 AM
^^^ No. Perhaps 10 to 20% - the OP's post quotes around 15%.

I believe I have my dad's genes....He looked 20 years younger that he was. He passed at 80 and he look 50.

Obviously lacking a math gene, however!

More recent studies show that senior men are considerably more active than senior women (about twice as active), but the difference may in part be due to the lack of suitable partners for the women (because many are divorced or widowed). So the available and functional men are in considerable demand, perhaps?
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Sexually Active Seniors