Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Men lying about their ages...no it's not just women      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cotter
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Men lying about their ages...no it's not just womenPage 1 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Well ... it is a common complaint so I guess that does make it redundant. However, each complaint has a different story to it and so, for me it's not redundant. I've been on several different dating sites in the past 4 years and believe me when I say ... there is a lot of "misrepresentation" going on.

On the other hand, I have also met some really wonderful people on here who abhor the lying and we have a field day on people when we discover them lying. We like nothing better than to "call" them on their lies and "out" them to the best of our ability without getting sent to "banned camp".

It gets tricky, as we are not allowed to name names, but that does not keep us from confronting them directly when we see them "posting" and catch them in a lie. And trust me when I say that you really cannot outrun the moderators ... they have the upper hand ...

**Makes note to send gift cards to all moderators at X-Mas ...
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 5
Men lying about their ages...no it's not just women
Posted: 8/30/2007 1:35:27 PM
~OP~ Sigh. It's chronic, it's ridiculous and it is one of the main reasons I don't meet/date. The classic dyslexic line: "Oh, I meant 54, does it say 45???" I guess my confusion is very simplistic ~ why bother? You lie about your age ~ she/he finds out, it's over anyway. I think I just miss the concept. It's happened so many times to me that I actually expect it ~ that's sad. (It's time for me to get off these damn sites ~ I feel myself sighing every single time I open email ... that can't be a good thing. LOL) (And yes, women lie too. Seems to be about weight if what I read is accurate. And that's every bit as silly as age. Like in person it won't be noticed? Highly unlikely. )
 orchidtigress
Msg: 7
Posted: 8/30/2007 4:57:47 PM
Yes, have met a few also who seemed to minus about 10 years and more off their true age... who the hell do these clowns think they are fooling???? Very few men can get away with that sort of lie! More importantly the liars obviously lack maturity that should come with age!

Ask to see proof and simply say you don't date liars no matter what age and leave!

mgkkain
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2007 2:25:50 AM
The point is that if they are lieing about certain facts to get certain women they are not doing it to get into a relationship but probaly doing it to manipulate those people into sexual encounters. After having a couple dates I definitly find I should probaly post a different picture cause everyone says I look alot older in it then I do.
 mgkkain
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2007 2:56:42 AM
it doesnt the lying part is what matters, if they lie about there age what else are they concieling
 platypus_man
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2008 3:03:12 AM
Why? Because if lying didn't work, people wouldn't do it. That said, every women I've ever gone out with lied to me about something. We're a world of liars. Everyone lies, or is deceitful about something, everyone has a skeleton in their closet about something. So, basically, I just watch how they treat others, and how they treat me. If they're honest in their behavior, well, then if she feels better telling me she's younger or older, has whatever color hair, or no insanity in her family, so be it. As long as they're nice to me, a little fib isn't going to upset me. Besides, when she tells me I'm the best lover she's ever had, and that she's always perfectly satisfied in bed, size doesn't matter, and for me, that she really doesn't care if I occasionally like to wear a dress (and she can make me believe it), it makes me feel good, even if it isn't true. As long as she's happy, I am. And I suspect a lot of women probably feel the same way about the men in their lives. 100% truth is way over rated. I think it was Stevie Nicks who sang, 'Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies'. Well said.
 Blonde_charm
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/16/2008 7:34:31 AM
Being untruthful about age, size, date of photos... it all ends up biting the person on the butt. They must never intend to meet, which are the ones I weed out as soon as possible. The guy who has a famous person's photo up is a huge red flag. Or the one who requests photos but never seems to get the knack of posting one himself.

Block. Delete. Done.
 PirateOB
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/21/2008 9:47:02 AM
You mean people lie on the internet .... I'm shocked
 cotter
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2008 4:58:56 PM
"Ingles" ... if you're not really 42 years old ... why don't you just put down how old you are after your little explanation of Tiffany writing your introduction? BTW ... are you really 6' 2"? It's important that you be honest about your height and weight as well ... most women (people) really do not want to date people who are not truthful about those things.

NOTE ... At a time when we could still change our age and gender around as we pleased, I added more years to my profile. I'm actually younger than my profile states, but can now no longer change it back ... sigh.

Just kidding about my age on my profile ...
 startle
Msg: 17
Posted: 8/2/2008 6:23:51 PM
my girlfriend lied about her age to me when we first met. today we are best friends. why? because i accept people as they are. human. i am merely mortal myself. no one has the right to your personal information before you feel comfortable giving it but the IRS. people who get angry at others for lying need to chill and learn to accept their fellow flawed yet lovable members of the human race.
 damassteel
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2009 11:44:58 PM
This for me is a VERY interesting subject. I struggle with this quite a bit; but not in the ways most might suspect. Let me tell you, I'm 59 and truly do not look it. the profile shot of me is 6 mos recent. I look maybe 41-2 some give me 48 tops. I have submitted photos to some dating sites and had them rejected by moderators who said they insist upon a RECENT photo!! They would not let me post my photos. My youthful looks are a combination of factors; great genetics, prudent habits from the time I was 15 , a very sensible diet, not smoking EVER, a commitment to fitness and health for the last 45 years in a consistent manner. As a result I have arrived at my age with all systems go and running exceptionally well. No ED, no missing teeth, no beer gut, and no wrinkles with stamina and energy of a guy 35. It can be very frustrating at times as I do not date women my own age; to me they just look like my mom( who also looks MUCH younger) and I do not relate to them in so many ways. I notice that mostly women in my age range respond to my profile. Personally I think this speaks to the presumptions and prejudices most have about age. They think that once you're over 50, you are done. I have dated women 20 to 30 years younger with no one ever looking at us funny. Why do I do it? simple, because I can. I'm just not ready for menopause and varicose veins just yet. I want to cuddle up with someone like me; fit and tight with nice skin. 30 years is too much distance to bridge in the long run I've found. My best age range is 35-45. I meet most of the women I date off site, where they see just who they're getting. On site I believe they look at me and say "this guy's putting up an old pic...pass". I stipulate in my profile that I prefer the 35-45 age range, but consistently only older women respond. I've come to the conclusion that I'm better off taking my chances out there in the real world, cuz the virtual one is not doing it for me.
 RadioMark
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2009 10:39:31 PM
I never really gave any thought to lying in my profile, and it never really dawned on me that apart from weight, people would lie much about physical characteristics, if only because it's all going to be obvious the moment you meet. After I met a few women over time after first encountering each other on the web, there was one consistent occurance, whether we hit it off or not...they were all surprised by how tall I was.

This struck me as odd, since I've never viewed myself as particularly tall. I'm 5'11 to 6 foot every time I'm measured. That's a bit above the national average, but not much. Apparently though, it wasn't my height itself that was "tall" to them, it was the fact that I actually AM 5'11 to 6'. So many other guys had addded a few inches to their height online and then turned out to, obviously, be shorter in real life that they assumed I was lying too, and would be shorter. My actually being my stated height honestly suprised them.

My profile, since realizing this, bears these words: "I'm 5'11 (and a REAL 5'11, not the little short lying internet guy version) and 185 pounds."
 Blakkardaberry
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2009 11:39:01 PM
Heck lie to me about your age just make darn sure you use a recent photo I can work with a lie I can't work with father time. rofl
 parklabrea
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2009 12:14:46 AM
The OP complains about guys who want to attract younger women. In the meantime, when she was 36, she dated a guy who she thought was 29. Naughty, naughty.
 thetennisgal
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/15/2010 10:01:51 AM
Depends on how big the lie is. If you're 70, then dont say you are 20.
 .dej
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2010 12:27:10 PM

This post was relevant and clever until I noted that the thread is nearly 3 years old.
 .dej
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 7/15/2010 2:08:49 PM
No, it would've been relevant whether people lied or not.
 Pingshooter
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2010 7:20:46 AM
(slapping forehead)..whhhaa..

People lie?

Nooo.

Gee..those folks I came into contact with, for 30+ years..some of them..they were lying?!?
 sarniafairyboy
Msg: 32
Posted: 7/21/2010 8:23:21 AM

I see women's profiles in which they have the wrong age in their information area, but in their profile state that they made a mistake while filling out their account and can no longer change their age... Then they give what is supposed to be their real age.

I assume it is just a ploy to have themselves added to younger people's match lists and generate more traffic to their profile by the younger people they wish to date. Men probably do it for the same reason. Who cares really? If they are attractive enough to pull it off, they are very rare.

I date who I'm attracted to... regardless of age. Lying about it to get more attention on a dating site doesn't bother as much as, let's say, being told they aren't married when they are... Yes, Ladies. Women do that, too.

"made a mistake" ...errr, right.

as if, it's sooo difficult to click on the right year of birth in the drop-down menu..you need a PhD in rocket science & have to work at NASA for that one, folks..

POF even allows you 2 weeks after setting up your profile to change your D/O/B in case you made a 'mistake' like that..

even had some people say they made a mistake typing in their actual age, or they put in their age 3 or 4 years ago when they set up profile, that's why it's wrong

Duuh..too bad POF goes by D/O/B, not a fixed age you type in -calculates age from current date - date one entered as D/O/B..

so, after being asked/challenged about their first lie they lie again for cover..NOT a 'good sign' IMO..
 arwen52
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2010 8:21:09 PM
Yeah. I had one guy say he was 57 and he was actually 63. I found out just before I was supposed to meet him and called it off. He whined, "You have no idea what it's like to be rejected for your age!" Yet the guy had restrictions on his profile that limited those contacting him to be 25-45.

Another guy complained to me in a phone conversation that women posted photos that made them look younger and more slender than they actually were. I said yeah, I keep finding out guys are lying about their age. Later, he called me back and sheepishly admitted that the age stated in his profile said he was 50 but he was actually 52. He said he'd forgotten to update his age. I didn't tell him that POF doesn't ask for your age, it asks for your birth date and updates automatically. When I met him, I'm sure he was probably at least 60. He wasn't my type anyway. He was kind of boring.

The closer I get to 60, the more I'm tempted to lie about my age. However, I take pride in that people tell me I'm a person of integrity and I want to maintain that. I try as best I can to represent myself honestly and accurately. I am looking for a man who is doing the same.

BTW, what is it about those people who made a "mistake" putting their age in their profile never make a "mistake" that makes them older than they actually are? Just wonderin'.
 arwen52
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2010 3:16:42 PM
When we meet people in social situations, we have a lot of information about them even if we lack other information. We can see what they look like, how they behave, how they interact with others, and how they interact with us. Although people go outside of it, most people will pursue people close to their age and if they don't, it's obvious. The guys in their mid to late 40s & into their 50s that pursue women in their 20s - it's *obvious* there's a significant difference. Or the young guys who pursue older women. Or the older women who pursue younger guys. Yeah, people often end up being older or younger than we thought they were, but obviously we were attracted to them as people. The age may or may not make a difference to us.

Yes, a person can lie to us about the profession, marital status, etc. They can even lie to us about their age but if what they tell us is really out of synch with what we see, it isn't going to work.

Online, we have very, very little information to go on. All we have is what the person tells us. And it's very, very easy to lie. Apparently, many people succomb to that temptation and many feel completely unabashed about it.

I understand why people do it but for me it totally disqualifies them. If they are that insecure about themselves, if they think it's okay to lie for their personal gain, what are they going to be like in relationship? If they list their age as one thing and then print a "disclaimer" in their profile, that is meant to lie to get around someone's preferences.

I've had guys who did that contact me. They have their excuses. I tell them that when they delete their profile and put up one that is honest they can get back in touch with me. I don't reject people for their age, but I do reject people I know from in front are liars.
 DragNFlyBuzzez
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2010 12:59:21 PM
well, if you want long term with a lady, trust is everything................

the age thing on profiles are funny,
statements like ohhh I am really 5 years older than my age states, I did not know how to change it.

I guess what I cannot understand, What is with 10-15 yr old pictures on your profile?
If you were a knock out 10yrs ago and did not age well, when I sit with you, am I supposed to pretend your 10yrs younger? I have physically changed in a year, I try to put up new pics every 6 months. False advertising on this type of site is kiss of death.
same fate as separated
 arwen52
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2010 9:14:20 PM
^^^^^ Except if a woman asks, "Do these pants make me look fat?"

Best response is to fall on the floor and feign a heart attack.
 sexyisback!
Msg: 50
Posted: 11/18/2010 11:16:11 AM
many posts on here seem to be very condescending or patronizing towards women.

basically, " oh, women, those SILLY CREATURES! we couldn't expect them to do anything like actually TELL THE TRUTH about their age.."

why is that, exactly?

different standards for women, v. men?
 DemonLeather
Msg: 51
Posted: 11/18/2010 1:56:54 PM
I've posted here before,. yeah if girls can do it,. so can guys! Enough of the double standard,.. I lied, Frikkin' Sue me,. There's women in here, that say they're umm 35,. and you look @ their photos and say,. if she's 35... she fell asleep in the sun,.. FOR 3 FRIKKIN YEARS! Comon now,.. Gimmie a Break,. and NO.. I AIN'T telling MY age either! neener! neener!
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Men lying about their ages...no it's not just women