Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Men and their Age Issue?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NatGoat
Msg: 2
Men and their Age Issue?Page 1 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
I'm over 50 . . but _Refuse_ to get older than 35 . . for a Long Time . . !!!
 NatGoat
Msg: 3
Men and their Age Issue?
Posted: 8/29/2007 3:52:22 PM
....Like 'A Few extra Pounds' . . or . . 'Average' . .
 moraima
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Men and their Age Issue?
Posted: 8/29/2007 4:47:58 PM
Some people look in the mirror and see their true reflection, and some people see what their ego lets them ------- what they looked life 20 yrs ago.

This isn't a gender issue.

Like they say "Nothing like an old fool".

How many profile photos do we look at and think they look 20 yrs. old than what they put on their profile.
 moraima
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Men and their Age Issue?
Posted: 8/29/2007 4:53:44 PM
Welcome to internet datingland
 Celticmist
Msg: 11
Men and their Age Issue?
Posted: 8/29/2007 5:10:11 PM
Well this little chickie will be 56 next month and I don't have a problem with my age, however a lot of people do. I feel that some people makes them feel like less of a person when they age, and that some people will judge solely by their age.

In North America we tend to devalue our elderly and quite frankly often only see them as a burden, so it is not a wonder some lie , both women and men.

I usually like to meet a person and find out why they felt the need to lie about their age.
 Smilin_bob
Msg: 13
Men and their Age Issue?
Posted: 8/29/2007 6:13:53 PM
Current age 46 here. Add one to that number near the end of each October until God decides otherwise.

I guess if a person lies about their age, they have no confidence in themselves, or low self esteem, and try to appear as if they are someone else.

I would also question the same thing.. If you lie about that, what else are you hiding?

Just my two cents!
~Bob~
 c_deacon
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Men and their Age Issue?
Posted: 8/29/2007 10:04:58 PM
I fudge about my age all the time....... I am just an "old man" in a "younger mans" body......go figure......

OT........Age and its issue is much more important then the gender bias stated by the OP......Let the one dating beware and decide for themselves if what you see is what you want, and want you want is what you see......

Just my opinion.....
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 18
Men and their Age Issue?
Posted: 8/29/2007 10:24:55 PM

....Like 'A Few extra Pounds' . . or . . 'Average'

...Hey, thats true...I will admit it, when someone asks me my age, most times i have no problem telling them how old I am..but ask me my weight and I most often will shave off a couple of pounds...silly isn't it?

...maeflowers
 c_deacon
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Men and their Age Issue?
Posted: 8/29/2007 10:33:52 PM
Shave off????.......Thinking here.......

Just my opinion......
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 20
Men and their Age Issue?
Posted: 8/29/2007 10:37:41 PM

Shave off????.......Thinking here.......

...Be careful....you might get yourself in trouble. Age and weight are touchy subjects with most woman haha

...maeflowers
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 23
Men and their Age Issue?
Posted: 8/30/2007 6:08:40 AM
I've posted this one before. And prolly will again, lol!

About 52.6 percent of the men in the study lied about their height, as did 39 percent of the women. Slightly more women lied about their weight (64.1 percent) than did men (60.5 percent). When it came to age, 24.3 percent of the men were untruthful, compared with 13.1 percent of the women.

http://www.wftv.com/technology/10948015/detail.html

Tickles me no end that women are the ones with the bad rep for lyin' about their age, when the truth is quite the reverse :grin:

moraima
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Men and their Age Issue?
Posted: 8/30/2007 6:35:10 AM
I always thought that generally men had a problem with women's age, not their own.

Seriously, when you are ask to fill something out and it reads:
20 to 35,
36 to 50,
51 to 65
- it is kind of painful when you have just had your 51 st. birthday, and you are lumped into 51 to 65.
 c_deacon
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Men and their Age Issue?
Posted: 8/30/2007 7:32:59 AM
It can be very painful to be Lumped into an age bracket just because of when you were born....

Life is to short to be shunned or avoided because you may have been born a different year then what you look like. I do not seem to have problems when I am at parties, or activities with varied age groups, and most seem quite comfortable being around me, knowing me, and dating me if interested.

Why do we need to put a sign up that specifies our age when it really has no true relevance unless I am trying to date someone that is young enough to be my daughter or grand daughter, and if my memory serves me well, when I am at parties, the very young hang around themselves, and the mature ones blend in with each other.

Just my opinion.......
 Ahoytheredave
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Men and their Age Issue?
Posted: 8/30/2007 12:54:05 PM
One very strong motivator is to avoid being rejected without the chance to appeal in other ways. This applies to height, age, weight, education, hair existance or color, etc.

I would suggest a different problem exists; Your own search criteria beyond the stated ( and often fudged ) statistics could explain why you find so many. If you are weeding out honest people in favor of liars, players etc. then examine how you are judging people.

A player has little or no emotional investment in his or her target. They are simply a ticket to be ridden. An honest person who is not desperate will make far fewer contacts with far less flair and polish. If the person being contacted grades the person on their polish, that person is doomed to hook up with practiced liars and players.

I also suggest look for longer profiles. It is more difficult to maintain a false facade when you reveal more of yourself.
 charliemcsd
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Men and their Age Issue?
Posted: 8/30/2007 1:20:18 PM

What is the deal with guys not being truthful about their age on their profile? Yes I know women have done it for years. But now I see a trend with guys not being honest about their current age. Makes me wonder....hmmmmmmmm, if they're not honest about their own age...what else are they not going to be honest about?

And what is the question? You say women do this all the time and condone it. Talk about intellectual dishonesty.

Seriously, does the nonsense ever end?
 Ron9
Msg: 35
Men and their Age Issue?
Posted: 8/30/2007 4:34:40 PM
Oh you kids ........... you are all pip squeaks.

Feel behind your ears - probably still wet back there lol.
 jd28spot
Msg: 37
Men and their Age Issue?
Posted: 8/30/2007 6:07:13 PM
No relationship, whether it be friends or lovers should ever begin with a lie. I'm 53 and have no issues about being honest with my age or anything else!
 dawnskey
Msg: 38
Men and their Age Issue?
Posted: 8/30/2007 9:25:26 PM
touché. I haven't actually, that I'm aware of, been lied to about age. But then again, isn't age only a number? I've never dated a younger man before or someone much older. A lie is a lie therefore how can a relationship flourish on lies?
 NatGoat
Msg: 40
Men and their Age Issue?
Posted: 8/31/2007 1:36:57 PM
I don't lie about my age . .
I just _Prefer_ to think . . and act . . closer to what I was like . . at 35 . . !!!
Certain things are inevitable, and Genes have some effect on others . .
. . and . . with 9 years 'Off' . .
I'm eager to find that One - Last - Partner . .
" . . And they lived Happily , ever-after . . !! "
 Avalon96
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Men and their Age Issue?
Posted: 9/1/2007 3:24:54 AM
I agree with those who say that a lie is a lie, it may be just a minor little lie of convenience but how many more of them will you hear along they way.
I really don't see the point of lying about it, it may serve some short term purpose,
but sooner or later you will be found out, or people will just look and think ,
wow, you must have had a hard life.
Age is just the anniversary of how many years we have accumulated, not really a big deal, and if somebody really looks 10 yrs younger than they are, I don't know why they would have trouble dating younger people.
Saying you are won't make it so.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Men and their Age Issue?
Posted: 9/2/2007 9:28:49 AM
Look at women's profiles, OP. The majority of women's mail settings favour men under 30, so men are looking to put themselves as close to under 30 as they can get away with.

I don't know any men who lie about their age to their friends, or other people.

I only know men who lie about their age to people who seem to judge them negatively for being older, such as potential dates, and potential employers.

Today, people seem to no longer value experience and maturity, but looks and youth. So many, many women and employers favour younger men.

Men will do what they can do to get a good woman and a good job. If they can tell the truth and still get a good woman and a good job, they will. If they cannot, and lying works, they will do it. Even if most women and most employers will reject them for lying, as long as the minority of good women and good employers will overlook the lie, at least they get some good women and good jobs.

I am the age on my profile and prefer to keep it that way. That's because I believe that anyone that is that shallow and vain to judge me on my age, is likely to not be a worthwhile person to know for very long, and is likely to be a pain in the butt in the long run.

That's my $0.02
 selfsong
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Men and their Age Issue?
Posted: 9/21/2007 8:50:27 PM
OP

Funny, I was browsing profiles and noticed this woman who was 62 and thought...dam she is hot!!

Who cares what age they state, if you are attracted you are attracted.
 SueCat51
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Men and their Age Issue?
Posted: 9/22/2007 1:48:26 PM
Here's why people lie about their age:
#1 - their birth certificate is fake
#2 - their birth certificate has expired
#3 - they are suffering from alzheimers or some-timers
#4 - they never had a real birthday party
#5 - they don't want to be on the cover of National Enquirer
#6 - they are too young to drive
#7 - they are too old to drive
#8 - they are too young to drink
 prof48
Msg: 47
Men and their Age Issue?
Posted: 9/23/2007 4:30:55 PM
You know what, many women and men view this as advertising. If age is a big issue to you then your not going to like it when they tell you their really two years older, or ten years older, or perhaps 5 years younger (for those seeking older dates). Fact is, your not likely to know UNLESS they tell you. There are men, purportedly in their 70s on here, that look my age and men claiming to be 35, whose pictures look older than I do. We could all complain about the things people "lie" about on here. More lie about their intentions than lie about their age, even more lie, sometimes even to themselves, about what they are looking for. Its something to be cautious about, not something to be obsessed about. My daughter tells me my current picture makes me look older than I actually look. Does that mean my picture lies about me? I'm sure if you saw a hot guy in a bar, or in the grocery store, or at Barnes & Noble, you wouldn't ask for his driver's license to check his age before you started a conversation. Why are you obsessing about it here? Their mental age is far more important than their physical age, and the former is not easily quantified.
 LaddyMike
Msg: 48
Men and their Age Issue?
Posted: 9/23/2007 6:55:37 PM
While it is true that age to a great degree is a state of mind, I believe that this can also be an indicator of other half truths or flat out lies. I certainly understand about putting your best foot forward to try to present yourself in the best light, however, I believe in "Truth in Advertising". In my own profile I have stated my real age - 50! That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Men and their Age Issue?