Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Should alchoholics be given DLA?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 pantsonfire
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Should alchoholics be given DLA?Page 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
^^ Don't really think DIY should be put in the same category as smoking and drinking... it's not really an abuse of the body as such.
Perhaps the DLA should come with conditions, such as weekly testing to ensure that the substance abuse is no longer happening. Or maybe being provided as a 'debit' style card that won't allow certain purchases... I'm sure that will never happen though because it would infringe upon the substance abusers human rights....
 dinky41875
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Should alchoholics be given DLA?
Posted: 9/1/2007 3:48:00 AM
to be honest everyone of us at some point must have had a problem,lol
but i agree with ur views as far as i am concerned there is to much people getting things like that for self inflickin there own temple with SHIT.
just last week my friends was outside her childrens schools fighting to keep them open all this money to people with no purpose in life but to drink and yet no money on education..............
 Nienna Telrunya
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2007 12:27:00 PM
Alcoholics and drug addicts shouldnt be given DLA. If she gets higher rate care componant as you say, and gets her rent and tax paid, that means she is also claiming income support. Meaning she gets way more than £250 a week.

Im on DLA because of my back. 3 Vertibrae slip out of place, and alot of pressure on them causes alot of pain. However im only getting the lower rate care componant, and nothing on mobility. When mine come up for renewal next yr, they wont give it to me again, because as far as they are concerned, i dont need it. I could fight them for it, but it wont get me anywhere.

Those who have problems with organs due to alcohol and/drug abuse should not be given DLA, as they did it to themselves. My nan was long term ill before she died, and they wouldnt give her or my grandpa anything. My grandpa was entitled to carers allowance for her as he was her 24 hr carer. He however didnt get it. So why should they???

^^^^^^^^^ Cancer is not caused by smoking, it just contributes. and heart disease is not caused by over indulgence. A healthy person is just as likely to get it as is a non-smoker is to get cancer.
 badge73
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2009 2:38:30 AM
To the person who wrote that A.A is religious based. What a load of bull. It is a spritual programme NOT religious. It works a 12 step programme and it does NOT disempower you. The 12 step programme is the first 3 steps surrender to the illness in other words stopping fighting it and this brings freedom step 4 and 5 is itinary step 6 and 7 is change and dealing with life on life terms. step 10 11 12 are the maintainance part of the programne. Their is so many misconceptions about A.A it is unbeleivable.

Lets face it if you have lived with alcoholic misery then people who are sick and tired of being sick and tired would do anything even if it was religious which A.A is NOT. It is the only walk of life where people from every creed race and background mix and make it work because they want freedom from the old misery
 *november babee*
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2009 4:01:20 AM
IMO.. whilst alcoholism is a mental disorder, it is also surely a social disorder, and the exception that some people seemily are taking, is that whilst other mental disorders seem to strike indescriminatory, alcoholism, as with drug dependancy has its ORIGINS in choice..
not that you choose to become either dependant on drugs or alcohol, or any other substance..

so whilst i agree that, as with other mental disorders if DLA is payable it should only be payable whilst actively seeking/receiving treatment and not just as a matter of course...
 dinky41875
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2012 6:24:16 PM
no simple its self inflickted and just gives them more to spend ,if the damage is done and they no longer drink but have permanant bad health then anyone deserves care
 Graffiti_Poet
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2012 2:44:30 AM
Of course they should, they should be given every help and assistance they need. Alcohol is by far and away the worst drug of all of them and those who are unfortunate enough to become addicted need all the help and compassion we can spare them. It is sad to read all the sanctimonious posts who want to remove all their help and assistance in here from people who almost certainly did exactly the same things every alcoholic did in their pre-acoholic days. It is only someones pre-disposition to alcohol and their addictive personalities that caused them to become addicted and those in here who express such distain were 'lucky' they too did not become addicts themselves. No-one has any way of knowing if they will lose control over their drinking and we should all be thankful that it is not us that has fallen so far.

Society is geared up in such a way that consuming alcohol is the norm. Every family occassion or social get together usually involves drinking and getting drunk. From wetting a babies head at birth, to celebrating weddings, funerals, coming of age and other parties, drinking with meals, religious ceremonies, nights out with mates etc. etc. etc. We have all participated in these events and we have all been drunk on many many occassions. The line between us and them is one we cannot see and cannot know if we will ever cross. The lack of empathy and understanding is sad to see.

Just because alcoholics choose to drink as their drug of choice should not exclude them from the care and help they need. To do that would be a very dangerous step IMO. If we are to withold money or medical care to people on the basis of their affliction or injury being wholy or partly self inflicted then just where would we draw the line?. Should we refuse to help cancer sufferers who smoke or have a poor diet, should we deny health care to obese people, fail to treat people hurt in road accidents for stepping into the road without looking or driving without due care and attention?. Should people who hurt themselves through their own stupidity or in an deliberate attempt to harm themselves be denied the help they need?. This list goes on and on and on. Every single poster in here who has expressed a view that alcoholics should somehow be singled out for punative treatment would do well to look at their own medical histories and those of their families and loved ones, they too will have incurred costs to the welfare system for things that they are 100% at fault for and for things that they could have prevented had they changed their behaviour in some way. Singling out people addicted to alcohol is probably their way of wagging their metophorical finger at others when in reality they could very well point those fingers at themselves.....
 Forrest Grump
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2012 1:47:08 PM
MikeInNorthWales Msg101

I’m sorry for your loss.
As Graffiti Poet says,
The lack of empathy and understanding is sad to see.

Graffiti Poet Msg105
To be honest the OP and most posters are not against alcoholics getting treatment or assistance, just the way in which they are able to spend their DLA benefit on drink.

Of course they should, they should be given every help and assistance they need.

But to what purpose?

To help them overcome their “disability”, or to speed up their own demise.

I have certain reservations about DLA being given to alcoholics.

1 - There is no incentive for them to address their problems.
2 – I feel uneasy about giving money to an alcoholic primarily to feed his habit.

On a personal note, if your partner, brother or sister asked you for money to feed their drinking habit, how would you feel?

Would you give them the money?

I fully agree with paragraph 2 of your post. Society needs to get to grips with this (likely to be increasing) problem.
 badge73
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2012 5:56:09 PM
again most people are actually making judgments with out knowing the actual facts ...

disability living allowance is based on what "care" the person requires and needs, not on the actual illness they have, which works out the more "care" a person needs the higher rate of disability they get.

in theory a person suffering from alcohol problems should not see a penny as it should go to the carer to pay for the actual care.

read into that what you will as goes straight across the board for those others suffering from smoking, being over weight etc ....

d.l.a needs to be changed radically and quite quickly as the money is going to people who dont have any care but those who do require are not getting it. plus in reality at least 3 signatures should be on the form gp, social worker, physico etc but at the same time it may cost to much to investigate a false claim then actually hand money over.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > Should alchoholics be given DLA?